PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on Warriors of Chaos List

Skullking
09-03-2010, 04:52
Hi,

I am looking to start running some warriors of Chaos, and was hoping to get some advice on the list I've made so far. I can't use any special characters (it's for a gaming league, that's the rules), so I think that's the only restriction. I want to make sure I have a good list that isn't too overpowered, and still fits with my theme. I'm looking to have a completely Nurgle army, so everything should have the mark of Nurgle, or no marks. However, if this is a completely stupid thing to do, let me know. FYI, the only other army I've played in Warhammer Fantasy, is Dwarves, so I don't really have any concept of magic, and it's use, what schools are preferable, etc. Anyway, here it is, be brutal if you must, but remember, I'm not looking to absolutely annihilate my enemy so they don't have fun. :D

Sorcerer Lord Lv 3 MoN
Manticore
Enchanted sheild
Dispel Scroll
Rod of Torment

Sorcerer Lv 2 MoN
Daemonic Mount
Dispel scroll

Exalted Hero MoN
BSB Banner of Wrath

Marauders x 20
Flails, champ, standard, mus

Warriors x 20 MoN
shields, champ, standard, Mus

Warriors x 20 MoN
xtra hand weapon, champ, standard, Mus

Dragon ogres x 3
xtra hand weapon, champ

Warshrine MoN

2239pts,

I will admit, that I wanted the manticore, only because as a dwarf player I never get any cool mounts (an anvil, two dwarves with a shield, or a stone isn't very cool IMHO). If either mount is seriously useless let me know, I would love to use a dragon, but they're so much more expensive. Also, should I go with a lord or a sorcerer lord? Is one more useful than another?
Which magic items or gifts are really cool, or would work well with the Nurgly theme of my army. I was planning to make a big nurgly beast as the warshrine, since it basically functions as a monster anyway. I am used to putting my dwarves in units of 20, but do I need to with chaos warriors? They're pretty tough, and have great armor/LD. Can they do ok in units of 10 or 15?

Thanks! :)

trydragon
09-03-2010, 13:36
Hi,

Sorcerer Lord Lv 3 MoN <<
Manticore
Enchanted sheild
Dispel Scroll
Rod of Torment

I like Sorcerer lords as my lord level there hard hitters in the Magic phase as well as in combat try giving him the Rune Sword that will boost his Stats and allow you a better combat Phase Also boosting him to LvL 4 is always a good idea.

Sorcerer Lv 2 MoN
Daemonic Mount
Dispel scroll

You dont realy need a Demonic Mount on paper there look good but a Standed Barded Steed is fine also it save on points. Also I personly would take ether the Power fammiler of book of Secrates on this guy More PD is always good.

Exalted Hero MoN
BSB Banner of Wrath

Marauders x 20
Flails, champ, standard, mus

Warriors x 20 MoN
shields, champ, standard, Mus

Looks Good but i run with 12 to 15 Warriors but i can see why you got the Two big block's

Warriors x 20 MoN
xtra hand weapon, champ, standard, Mus

Add the banner if Rage here for a fun unit of death :D

Dragon ogres x 3
xtra hand weapon, champ

I know there Stats are no ware neer as good as Dogres but you ever thought of useing Trolls, I love trolls in the WoC book there rules make them Hard fast.

Warshrine MoN

2239pts,

Thanks! :)

For the most part i like your army and think it would do OK your a bit slow with the 3 Block units but your Two fast options are killers have you thought of sticking some knights in to the Mix there by far one of the Best units you can have in a WoC army.

BigbyWolf
09-03-2010, 17:32
With reference to the Trolls over Drogres, his general is on a flying mount, and chances are won't spend the game keeping the trolls in his 12" ld bubble, so Drogres are really the better option here.

Banner of Rage on a big unit of warriors is not a terrific idea as he has nothing to prevent his unit being baited. This list needs at least 3 units of Warhounds.

I second the raising of the Lord to a Level 4, then dropping all items and giving him the Runesword, Golden Eye of Tzeentch, Enchanted Shield and Blood Curdling Roar. This makes him hitty in combat, protects him against missiles a bit better and gives him another ranged option if he needs it.

One thing I would say is be very careful with him. The manticore is not the toughest beast out there and there is always the chance it could be shot out from underneath him. TBH, I'd stick him in one of your warrior units and invest the 200pts in a unit of vanilla Knights.

Likewise I agree with dropping the Daemon Steed in favour of a normal one. Daemon steeds are more for someone who wants to get in combat, and you want this fella as far away from it as possible. Oh, and give the little guy an extra scroll.

I'd suggest dropping the command of the 2 HW unit of warriors and trying to find points to split the unit into 2 blocks of 12..these guys are really more about racking up the kills than they are static combat res.

GenerationTerrorist
10-03-2010, 00:31
The only thing that stands out to me as "wrong" in this list is the two big blocks of Warriors. Units of 12-14 seem to work best for me....They are a VERY expensive unit to want to claim Static Res bonus off....Better to have 6-7 guys in 2 ranks rather than 4 ranks of 5. In my humble opinion, of course!

I also would not bother with Champions in either unit unless you plan on sticking your BSB there and want a Champion to cover any challenges.

In essence, I would do as following:
- Make the Lvl3 a Lvl4, drop the Scroll and Rod and give him the Runesword and Puppet.
- Put the Lvl2 on a Barded Steed and give him the Book and a Spell Familiar (that way he gets 4 spells to choose from).
- Drop the Banner on the BSB and give him Favour of the Gods somehow, especially if you are putting him in with a unit.
- Drop atleast 6 Warriors from each unit, and their Champions, and replace them with some Warhounds.
- Try to fit in a Lvl1 Scroll Caddy somewhere.

Skullking
10-03-2010, 07:10
Ah great feedback!

Ok, the major things I'm hearing is, break down the 20 man blocks of warriors, boost the lord to Lv 4, Invest in a rune sword, and add in some warhounds.

In regards to the warriors, what is the best number for them, 12 or 14/15? is it worth it to do 15 each, in three ranks of five, then another 10 man unit as well?

I will drop the daemonic mount on the Lv2 sorcerer, I had put it there, because I had originally had knights in the list, and he was going to be with them. A horse would be better for that anyway I'm sure.

So what is the thought on the manticore? 200pts is a lot to spend, and with the sorcerer lord's 8 Ld, I'd suspect there's a 1 in 3 chance he'll freak out every turn, which might not be so good for me. for 160pts I can get a bad ass dragon, but is he worth all the points? Are dragons total overkill in most games. I'd like to be somewhat fair, despite playing chaos.

I had wanted to use trolls, but their pitiful leadership and stupidity seemed like a bad choice. I feel as though they'd be much more useful if I could field the troll king, but alas, not going to happen. I forgot that they could use the general's LD, but as was pointed out, he'll be hopping around on his manticore. I do love Dragon ogres, the models are great, and I've had them forever, and never been able to use them till now. I had originally put a shaggoth in the list too, but he was too expensive.

I will do some calculating tonight when I get home, hopefully I can re arrange the list, and make it much more playable.

Thanks for all the info though, let me know what else you might think would work, or make it more nurgly.

Eta
10-03-2010, 07:21
Give every warrior a shield, you will need the armour save. Halberds are in most cases better than additional handweapons, whereas greatweapons are statistically better than halberds. Draw your own conclusion here, but personally I would never equip warriors with additional handweapons.

12 men warrior units seem to work good for most people, although I had success with only ten and a warbanner or blocks of 15, too. I never fielded them in bigger numbers, if you want to have CR you will have to invest in a unit of 25 marauders with shields, light armour, full command a the mark of Slaanesh. They won't run until beaten in combat and if you put a BSB in the unit they will be very hard to shift.

On your BSB - no shield and magic banner? Very bad idea. You can give the banner to one of your warrior units and equip the exalted hero properly. Sword of Might, shield / Enchanted shield or Bronze Armour of Zhrakk have always done well for me. Of course I mount him on a chaos steed to give him a formidable 1+ or 0+ armour save in combat.

If you are fighting a lot of fear causing enemies, you will have to think about using the mark of Slaanesh on more units. The crappy Ld on warriors will make charging and getting charged rather painful.

Greetings
Eta