PDA

View Full Version : Black Library (and other) books for tyranids and orks?

dumbuket
11-02-2006, 18:26
I've already been told that I should read "15 Hours", "Deffskwadron" and Xenology, but are there any other black library (or other books) I should wedge in? I've never read any BL books before, btw, and I'm a little leery of the quality... I hate reading "bad" books, although I'll make exceptions for my favorite hobby.

Firebreath
11-02-2006, 19:26
Warriors of Ultramar by Graham McNeill for Tyranids. One of the better writers too.
Not sure about Orks. I believe one of the Space Wolf-novels has 'em, as well as one of the Gaunt's Ghosts-novels, but I can't remember the titels. Sorry. :(

Baggers
11-02-2006, 19:32
Grey Hunters (I think that is the title of the second novel) does feature an incident where the Space Wolf encounter some Genestealers in a disused Space Hulk.

Gav Thorpes first books about Kage and the Last Chancers also deals with Nids, but they are not the main protagonists in the story. It also has a bunch of Orks in as well. Also his short story Deliverance deals with Nids as well.

The two Armageddon by Matt Farer (SP) I geuss have orks involved, not sure why though.

But to be perfectly honest there are not many books with these two as the enemies as they do not make the greatest of enemies in literature.

I am the Monkey King
11-02-2006, 19:35
And of course with Graham McNeill, the fluff in the book is gonna basically be canon, at least where Space Marines are involved certainly.

Mojaco
11-02-2006, 22:47
Problem with nids is that they're great from a galactic point of view, but less interesting up to planetary assault level. After three stories (short or long) you kinda know the drill. Wave of small stuff, wave of medium stuff, wave of big stuff, victory or defeat (long story it's probably victory, short ones are usually defeat). They just don't have any second layers to them (again, up to planetary assault level) that make a book good reading. Unlike Chaos, Eldar, Tau and even Orks. Warriors of Ultramar is a great read though. It's still fun to read a full Tyranid assault, I just mean that multiple books covering this aspect of nids aren't necesary. Basicly, I just felt the need to ramble.

Complelty different story for genestealer cults though. They're smart and sneaksylike and all. !!!possible spoilers alert!!! The first Ciaphas Cain book deals with such a cult and Inquisitor War starts of with a short cult story.

Another must-have is Lone Wolves. It's in the recently or soon to be released Imperial Gothic graphic novel. Or you can try and get the original hard-cover somewhere.

Khaine's Messenger
11-02-2006, 22:58
I would really encourage you to get ahold of Dark Imperium for its short story "Hive Fleet Horror" if you're really interested in 'nids. Perhaps one of the only narrative insights into the hive mind. Also, snag a copy of What Price Victory for "The Elucidium." As for Orks...well, they crop up almost everywhere...as is appropriate. Most stories with them do not, however, tend to have them as a point of view.

Ardathair
12-02-2006, 00:00
Their not novels but; "'ere We Go", the other two early Ork books, and Gorka Morka have plenty of short stories if you can find them. Their older so some of the stories may not fit with current fluf.

El_Machinae
12-02-2006, 07:01
I have to second "Warriors of Ultramar". I think it gives a really good feeling about what a 'nid invasion is all about. As well, most 'nid invasions won't end like it does in the book, and even that shouldn't happen more than a few more times.

Kornanater
12-02-2006, 07:05
Perhaps not a novel/book that you can order or buy from a store, but a great story nonetheless is one I found on a 40K fan fiction forum. The story is called The Emperors Finest and it has a variety of enemies in it, from nids to world eaters to imperial guard and space marines fighting them off. If you have ready internet access then I suggest the read to anyone.

Link:
http://forum.blacklibrary.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2357

Sikkukkut
12-02-2006, 13:49
The two Armageddon by Matt Farer (SP) I geuss have orks involved, not sure why though.

Those are by Jonathan Green.

The new Caiaphas Cain book Death or Glory has orks as the antagonists. I'm only about halfway through it but there are lots of nifty observations about the greenskins from Cain and via footnotes from his "editor".

Xhalax
13-02-2006, 09:36
The Nids feature in 'Warrior Brood' by C.S Goto.

Escaflowne_Z
13-02-2006, 21:59
The Space Wolf book that has Orks is "Ragnar's Claw". The part with Orks is great! *snicker snicker, Orks racing Blood Claws*

The 2nd Cain novel "Caves of Ice" has an Ork invasion that awakens something else...good book too (as are all the Cain novels).

Fifteen Hours focuses primarily on the Imperial Guard, but the antagonists are Orks. I didn't enjoy this one as much as most people. A little too much "All's Quiet on the Western Front" for me.

Warriors of Ultramar is a good read, even if it does get a little bit silly towards the end. C'mon, 5 Space Marines taking on a Hive Ship????

Dakkagor
13-02-2006, 23:12
I liked 15 hours. Mainly for the point where the guard general is given a statement saying a few months, so you realise. . . .

SPOILER ALERT
#
#
#
#
Even though the main character dies, everyone else he interacted with is going to die aswell. Almost makes it seem. . fair, in a wierd kind of way.