PDA

View Full Version : Advice for starting

TownCryer
09-03-2010, 20:43
As the title says I'm thinking about getting into warmaster, but I'm still not sure, what does everyone say about it?

What are things I should keep in mind for playing and collection.

also what about making my own terrain?

azraelezekiel
09-03-2010, 21:36
good starter armies are high elves, chaos, dwarves in that order.
All 3 can be picked up cheap on ebay.
As for making your own terrain it is easy have a look at some of my other posts and sig.

fracas
10-03-2010, 03:38
there are also print out units you can try to test out the various armies

i think you should consider 2 1000 pts armies to start out with because
a) make it easier to get another player into the game
b) allow you to try out 2 and expand either or neither

TownCryer
10-03-2010, 07:13
I had wanted to play Araby or Orcs for Warmaster actually, the araby army is what drew me in.

As for the table question what is the standard field of battle? And I assume using smaller (6mm) scale terrain is fine since the models represent much bigger groups of troops than represented.

Ancre
10-03-2010, 10:45
I'd say go for what you like instead of what you "should" play. You like Araby and Orcs, start those two armies.

fracas
10-03-2010, 11:14
definitely go with the army that looks good to you.

standard 4' x 6' table works. but I think 10mm scale or HO train scale terrain pieces would look better than 6mm

Shrapnelsmile
12-03-2010, 05:46
I second two 1,000 point armies. It's how we learned and a nice size battle for a shorter night.

Cpt. Drill
13-03-2010, 15:33
I have to say I would disagree with the two armies plan a bit unless you have the expendable funds and painting hours.

I would reccomend collecting the army that you like the most first (Unless its orcs) and printing off an 'token' army. It would be alot cheaper and still allow you to into game new people. Also if the plans fall through and no one else takes to it you only have one army on your hands to gather dust.

That being said two painted armies on the table are more likely to draw people interest.

Octavulg
10-04-2010, 16:04
As the title says I'm thinking about getting into warmaster, but I'm still not sure, what does everyone say about it?

Everyone who's cool says it's awesome. ;)

What are things I should keep in mind for playing and collection.

If you have access to Battle of Five Armies sets, they bulk out Orcs/Goblins, High Elves and Dwarves a treat. I found purchasing one (or two) of those and some metal figures gave me a lot of options.

High Elf spears are very, very, very fragile. Be prepared. I tried cutting them down, which helps with the unbroken ones, but does nothing for the ones already lost. Basically, you cut the blade down by about half and it makes it a lot less likely to break.

You will always have an amazing capacity to roll badly. Accept this, and blame your subordinates.

also what about making my own terrain?

Personally, I'd lean toward buying it. N scale model railroad terrain should be compatible. There's a variety of sites on the web dedicated to making terrain, as well.