PDA

View Full Version : higher ground

super_steve
23-05-2005, 15:16
This may seem like a silly question but i can not see it in the rule book.

A shooting unit such as a cannon placed on a hill has higher ground so can see over units. Now does this work the other way around can shooting units fire on the cannon on the hill even though there is a unit in front of the hill?
And is this the case for large targets can they shoot at things on a hill when there is a unit in front?

anarchistica
24-05-2005, 01:13
LOS can be drawn from and to units who are in an elevated position, like standing on a hill. However, LOS to a unit is blocked as normal if any units are standing in front of it (blocking LOS to any model of the unit behind it) on the same level.

So yes, if your cannon is on a hill and a unit is standing at the bottom of the hill, you can fire at it. If the unit would stand on the hill in front of the cannon, blocking LOS to the cannon, you can not fire at it and the cannon's LOS is blocked as well.

As far as i know, nothing aside from castle walls can block LOS of Large Targets, not even other Large Targets. Of course, this is all open to interpretation and if you and your opponent agree on it, certain things block LOS to and from a Large Target...

mageith
24-05-2005, 13:56
As far as i know, nothing aside from castle walls can block LOS of Large Targets, not even other Large Targets.

Castle walls? Where's that?

Ith

anarchistica
24-05-2005, 14:21
Page 59/60, LOS. No model can block LOS to a Large Target, but terrain can.

mageith
25-05-2005, 04:44
Page 59/60, LOS. No model can block LOS to a Large Target, but terrain can.

My question is specifically where do you find that Castle Walls block LOS to Large targets? (I'm not arguing, just wondering.)

Unless you are saying that ALL hills, large boulders and buildings; hedges and walls and woods over level ground block line of sight to ALL models with no exception given to large targets?

peteratwar
25-05-2005, 08:51
There seems to be a wide variety of options with regards to the effect of terrain on LOS. Nothing definite seems to be laid down other than a rather general comment to sort it at the time.

Have always adopted a policy of agreeing with my opponent before deployment as to its effects. Saves a lot of subsequent argument dice rolls etc!!! :)

anarchistica
25-05-2005, 21:33
My question is specifically where do you find that Castle Walls block LOS to Large targets? (I'm not arguing, just wondering.)
I was hoping it was in the siege section somewhere but i can't find it. :p

Unless you are saying that ALL hills, large boulders and buildings; hedges and walls and woods over level ground block line of sight to ALL models with no exception given to large targets?
Yes that's what i meant, but usually only Castle Walls are big enough to block LOS to LT's (ok ok, and forests, we have low hills here).

It doesn't matter anyway, it's GW, it's inferior! :p

Lordmonkey
26-05-2005, 02:49
I thought large targets could block large targets?

mageith
26-05-2005, 04:49
I thought large targets could block large targets?

Probably but we have this cryptic statement:

"Anything that is a large target is bigger than anything else, including other monsters. Chron 4, 112"