PDA

View Full Version : Malorian vs Once Bitten 2: This time it's semi-serious!

Malorian
10-03-2010, 09:32
Krazyface looked across at the knight formation and laughed, "Ha! Foolish knights, don't dey know da power of da orcs!"

A worried goblin looked up at the savage warboss and asked, "Um... excuse me... but those knights are advancing pretty quickly... shouldn't we take up our own formations?"

"Not yet... I aint dun mock'n dem yet..."

The goblin waited.

"Silly stink'n knights..."

The goblin waited, getting more nervous.

"Dey tink dey iz so great just cuz dey got shiney armor..."

The goblin waited, getting even more nervous.

"Ok, I'm dun... let's fight."

Releasing a sigh of relief, the goblin raised a horn to his lips and bellowed out "WAAAGH!!!"

It was fun time...

Had my second international game over the last few days against Once Bitten.

For those that don't know, I'm in Canada and he's in the US so we had to play this game by me setting up the battle at my place and send him pictures while he tells me what moves to make for him.

So here is my YouTube reports for it and I wouldn't be surprised if Once Bitten does his own version later on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dYZCDug5BY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EiL1krGSWs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03eYO_PWM9I

GuyLeCheval
10-03-2010, 13:02
No surprise for me ;)

Now going to watch the report...

Once Bitten
10-03-2010, 13:51
WARNING: SPOILER ahead

No, really, I'm going to spoil it for you if you haven't watched the videos. Stop here - scroll up and watch the battle report.

First of all, what a fun game! Malorian totally outplayed me - especially on turns 2 & 3. I still don't understand how it ended as a draw. I'll give some thoughts here because analyzing games is as much fun as playing them for me. :)

- When I moved my PK on turn 1, I knew that I wanted to charge that spear chukka on turn 2 - and I knew how far back it was from Mal's 12" deployment line. So, had I been present, I would have made sure that I moved forward the requisite distance before moving to my right. However, when telling Mal where to move my guys, I didn't want to say it that way, as I wanted those PK to pose a number of different threats, thus affecting how he moved his units. It would be better for these types of games - albeit more difficult - for the long-distance player to have someone serving as his proxy. I could have told my proxy what I was planning, and he could've been more careful in my movement, knowing what I was trying to do. Don't get me wrong, Mal is trying to be very careful and fair - it's just that there are a lot of subtleties in the movement phases.

Similarly, I had no intention of moving my fast cav such that a charge by that chariot would put him in front of my big block of knights. My intent was to make the chariot end up in front of my small block on the hill. But, I told Mal how to move them, and he did exactly what I said. It's just one of those things.

I was also surprised that my fast cav got caught. I thought they would flee through my knights and land on the other side before the chariot ever moved. Flees from charges are treated differently than flees from break tests in that way. Of course, I didn't see the roll. Perhaps they only rolled a 5 or something. Regardless, fleeing was a mistake. In hindsight, I should have accepted the charge, thus making sure that my big block was not hindered in its next movement phase. (big mistake) plus, that might have landed his chariot in front of my small KE.

Also, I charged my lord into the chariot because I didn't want it to charge into the flank of my KOTR unit (should I have beaten that orc unit and rolled average in my pursuit). I was trying to beat the unit and slip by the rest of his line. In hindsight, I should've charged the other chariot. I didn't charge his general's unit because his general is a better fighter than mine (even if I get the charge), and he had all that combat res. I was certain to be broken in combat even if I wasn't killed outright.

I wanted my big block of KE to join in that charge of the orc unit w/ the KOTR. It's possible that they could've wheeled around the chariot and made it there (see attached picture) - especially if the chariot was 1" away so that I could wheel, which I think it was. But, it was too difficult to tell whether or not they could make that wheel, and not be blocked by the KOTR. I needed to see things up close and from a variety of angles. So, I thought, 'screw it' and just charged the chariot. :) Again, the fast cav mistake is what caused this to be an issue in the first place.

Lastly, my lord issuing a challenge when I knew his general would likely accept was a mistake. I knew I was unlikely to kill him, and he should've slapped me around. His dice just really failed him. The smarter thing to do would be to issue a challenge w/ one of the grail knights. Mal would've gotten some overkill there, but I still would've had 4 GK doing a bunch of wounds, and my general should've done a bunch of wounds - possibly 6, 7 or 8 if I got lucky - with his extra-attacks-virtue.

Anyway, I can't help but analyze all my mistakes - which, of course, are much easier to see in hindsight. The attached picture is a big reason why I enjoy WFB so much. There were so many options - just trying to see a move or two ahead, calculating the odds, etc. is a lot of fun. Great game, Mal!

GreenSpeed
10-03-2010, 15:08
Great game, that was a huge swing in the end, its happened to me a lot in fantasy

Sarael
10-03-2010, 16:38
Yep, the general's bodyguard letting him down is the bane of any great warrior. That's why I like my vamps :)

When I saw the GKs + Lord against the warboss + unit I thought for sure you'd challenge with a knight, sac him, and let the lord hit R&F. I'd also have taken the charge from the chariot into the yeomen so that it would end up in front of the trebuchet & small KE, opening up the middle & bringing the reserve KE into the fight.

I've been really enjoying watching all of Once Bitten's bat reps lately. Been a great way to learn more about how other people play the game (we have mostly gunlines in my area) and even learn a new trick or two for my vamps.

Good luck and thanks for the entertainment!

Malorian
10-03-2010, 19:38
we have mostly gunlines in my area

Tell them to go play 40k, then you can start having some real fantasy games :)

willowdark
10-03-2010, 20:22
Nice report guys.

Malorian, nice list, truly a sea of green meat!

Though I enjoyed the game, I kept wishing that it was really OB's army on the table and not the unpainted proxy horde. Malorian's army looked good on the board though, especially the banners. :)

Peregijn
10-03-2010, 20:44
two grandmasters ad work here. i realy enjoyed watching this. and i hope that somewhere in the near future an other game can be played.

Toshiro
10-03-2010, 21:19
another great and interesting game from two of warseers finest :D

Malorian
10-03-2010, 21:28
Though I enjoyed the game, I kept wishing that it was really OB's army on the table and not the unpainted proxy horde.

I can second that ;)

stiltjet
11-03-2010, 09:26
Great battle. Thanks for sharing all the fun!

The issues OB presents in his post, about the subtleties of the movement phase, made me wonder if there is any way to make the absent player getting better control of his movements. I understand that you guys made a good job with this in the report, but could it be improved in some way, you think? Describing where a chariot moves to, in words, with itīs facing and all that, can be a difficult thing. But I guess making drawings or some kind of graphic representations, and sending those back and forth might be problematic. I just started thinking about this, if some kind of simple software possibly could improve the fine tunings of movements. What do you guys think?

Very nice report..

Gork or Possibly Mork
11-03-2010, 11:46
Great report. This looked like such a fun game.

I second maybe having a proxy player like OB talked about. It would take more time emailing back and forth but It I think it would give OB a better idea that you can't really see without being there for yourself. He could even ask specific questions from the pics he saw. Might slow the process down quite a bit though.

I've been thinking about it lately and I wonder if thier is a way to setup a tripod and measure camera angles using the table itself so that OB always gets the same accurate views from the pics he sees. For instance say four four corners angles ( 45 degrees making an X ) and four birds eye top views of the whole board making a t ( 90 and 180 degrees ).

Or perhaps when you take a shot use a straight line for the opposite angle then do a third angle intersecting the two. Basically trianglulating the angles in a T so when looked at together he gets a sort of 180 degree panorama.

Ofcoarse if you had panorama maker software and the time and knowledge to make true panorama's that would be the best option but that's asking far too much.

I don't know how you guys do it just throwing out some suggestions.

I have a question for Malorian. Did you make a point of talking about anti baiting tactics because I was bugging you to get a snotling swarm to help with this in the other Krazyface thread against your LM? Lol but really a snotling swarm couldn't hurt. You'd probably have to get rid of the NG's but atleast you could get some musicians for the orcs though.

Anyway thanks again for putting this up. I really enjoy your epic battles and OB's epic battles and the two of you together is just plain awesome and alot of fun to watch.

Cheers
Gork or Mork

Malorian
11-03-2010, 14:00
I have a question for Malorian. Did you make a point of talking about anti baiting tactics because I was bugging you to get a snotling swarm to help with this in the other Krazyface thread against your LM? Lol but really a snotling swarm couldn't hurt. You'd probably have to get rid of the NG's but atleast you could get some musicians for the orcs though.

It was more that OB's army had the best tools to take advantage of me so I had to watch myself.

Against most armies it really isn't a big deal, but with flying baiters and long range hitting knights this was a real and dangerous threat.

Harwammer
22-03-2010, 22:13
Very interesting, I look forward to more videos!