PDA

View Full Version : Mining in the depths!

Bladelord
10-03-2010, 11:03
Miners are digging for war! Fun list to play with:D

Lord, great weapon, shieldbearers, Rune of Stone, Master Rune of Spite, Rune of Brotherhood.
246pts.
Thane, BSB, Rune of Stone, Rune of Fate, Rune of Brotherhood.
150pts.
Thane, great weapon, Rune of Stone, Rune of Brotherhood, Rune of the Furnace.
99pts.
Runesmith, great weapon, Rune of Stone, Master Rune of Balance, Rune of Brotherhood.
149pts.
Total: 644pts.

10 Quarrellers, great weapons.
130pts.
10 Quarrellers, great weapons.
130pts.
10 Quarrellers, great weapons, rangers.
140pts.
Total: 400pts.

18 Miners, FC, Steam Drill.
248pts.
248pts.
17 Miners, FC, Steam Drill.
237pts.
17 Miners, FC, Steam Drill.
237pts.
Total: 970pts.

Organ Gun.
120pts.
Organ Gun.
120pts.
Total: 240pts.

Total: 2249pts.

phoenixguard09
10-03-2010, 11:08
I don't play with or against Dwarves much but I know I wouldn't want to see 2 Organ Guns across the table. Especially not with T3 Elves. Probably be a fun list to play though.

Bladelord
10-03-2010, 11:11
The Organ Guns can put out alot of damage but they're pretty vulnerable too:)

Leogun_91
10-03-2010, 13:24
A fluffy and intresting list, good luck mining, needless to say it won't be a very competative one but it is unique and it doesn't suck.

Baboon
10-03-2010, 13:31
its an interesting list... BUT people will see it comeing and move forward.

2 turns of movement will get most forces to the middle of the table. leaeing you just WM to attack with the 4 units of miners.

I would swap out the organ guns for gyrocopters to stop them marching away from the table edge and then drop a miner unit and some Quarrellers to take 2 units of ranked up dwarfs to march forwards. you have to try to pin them back against the deployment zone or you will never catch them.

Slayerthane
10-03-2010, 13:51
I would swap out the organ guns for gyrocopters to stop them marching away from the table edge

Remember it's a themed list based around a mining expedition so gyrocopters are out. You can't fly them underground. :p

I have often thought about doing an Ungrin Ankor Underway Force. Some things I would add are a unit of 25 dwarfs with great weapons (think miners), a unit of slayers since slayers will often venture into abandoned tunnels in search of trolls or worse, a goblin hewer for killing those nasty goblins and skaven that infest abandoned dwarf tunnels, and maybe a unit of 4 bloodbowl deathrollers using ogre rules (think drilling machines). And of course don't forget iron breakers who guard tunnels and perhaps even the odd mining expedition. ;)

grumbaki
10-03-2010, 14:08
I like the idea. A few things though...

1) I'd drop 2 units of miners and add in a unit of Ironbreakers. It fits perfectly with the theme. Having a BSB with an oathstone could make them pretty tough too.
2) Drop a unit of quarrelers and take rangers. Same points cost as miners, same equipment and it could look good.
3) Instead of taking a lord, I'd take a runelord with the anvil of doom. That way when your miners come in, they can charge on that turn. You'd have to drop the runesmith too, as the anvil of doom takes 2 hero choices.

Bladelord
10-03-2010, 14:18
Lords & Heroes:
Lord, great weapon, shieldbearers, Rune of Stone, Master Rune of Spite. *
226pts.
Thane, BSB, Rune of Cleaving, Master Rune of Gromril, Rune of Brotherhood.
155pts.
Thane, great weapon, Rune of Stone, Rune of Brotherhood, Rune of the Furnace.
99pts.
Runesmith, great weapon, Rune of Stone, Master Rune of Balance.
129pts. *
Total: 609pts.

Core Units:
25 Warriors, shields, great weapons, FC. *
300pts.
25 Warriors, shields, great weapons, FC. *
300pts.
10 Quarrellers, great weapons, rangers.
140pts.
Total: 740pts.

Special Units:
19 Miners, FC, Steam Drill.
259pts.
248pts.
7 Miners.
7pts.
7 Miners.
77pts.
Total: 661pts.

Rare Units:
Organ Gun.
120pts.
Organ Gun.
120pts.
Total: 240pts.

Total: 2250pts.

What about this list? made smoe changes like including 2 warrior units and drop 2 miner units down to 7. Lord+Runesmith will join these newly included warriors. I didn't put any Ironbreakers into the list even if it's fluffy. What changes would you make to make it more competitive (not cheesy competitve like daemons & gunlines but atleast competitve)? swap organs for gyros? include a unit of thunderers instead of the scouting quarrellers?
Anyway, hope you like the idea of a Miner based army:)

nasty_little_hobbit
10-03-2010, 19:40
Why not try and find the points to include a Anvil of Doom, it would be perfect in this list!? Imagine getting of the ancient power of Oath and Honour and charging with those two large miner units the turn they arrive, absolute carnage.

Bladelord
10-03-2010, 23:07
Aye Anvil of Doom are nice for the competitive part, but for the fluff part I don't know.

mistrmoon
11-03-2010, 04:01
I'd grab the War of the beard special rules and play with them. You could actually make a full miner army, and if your just playing for fun no one should have a problem with this.

Bladelord
11-03-2010, 06:36
War of the Beard rules, sounds interesting, where can I find them?

LanceSaba
11-03-2010, 09:12
I would say that the anvil actully fits the fluff better in a underground list because they are vary close to their home base and dont have to drag that behemoth as far. think of a more keep defender list.

Mindshred
11-03-2010, 11:41
Remember it's a themed list based around a mining expedition so gyrocopters are out. You can't fly them underground. :p

I'd just convert the gyrocopter up as a piloted drill machine; fluffy, and the rules with steam guns and the like would still make sense. The only difference would be that instead of flying over enemies, it burrows under them. :P

Bladelord
11-03-2010, 23:05
Good idea Mindshred but 20'' a turn drill machine!?

Stuffburger
12-03-2010, 13:53
When I play against dwarves I love seeing the opponent using great weapons- they are more expensive, rarely get the charge and actually let me kill a few dwarves when I charge them.

GW's are fluffy, look awesome and variety is always good but for competitiveness they aren't worth bringing. Dwarves win with ranks and not giving up kills easily.

Nice and different list though, I'd be happy to face it.

Bladelord
12-03-2010, 20:39
But would you be happy using it?;)