PDA

View Full Version : Finding The Silver Lining In A Longbeard’s Grey Beard

Malorian
11-03-2010, 16:36
Finding The Silver Lining In A Longbeard’s Grey Beard

So yesterday was our typical gaming day but even as I went in I didn’t really want a game. I had a bunch of painting and gluing I wanted to get done, plus I just got a few new video games I wanted to try out. All I wanted to do was go in, let the store owner (who also runs the bunker) know about some models I wanted to order, and then leave. Hell, I didn’t even have my dice or measuring tape with me.

This was not going to be the case…

Once inside I found the local lizardman player looking for a game but finding no takers, so I agreed to a game and pulled out my dwarfs. However once we set up our models we realized our armies weren’t the same size: I had my typical 2250 and he had 2000.

Now it’s not easy for dwarfs to just drop 250 points without really reworking the list, so after my opponent double checked that no one else was going to game with him he instead decided to use some proxies to get to 2250. (While all this was going on my daughter phoned me, crying, which made my mood even worse.)

I’ll say right now I was bummed that he went to such lengths to get a game in against me and even for the reasons I stated above for not wanting to game that day I also thought this would be a boring match up: he would stay away and blast me with magic/salamanders and I wouldn’t be able to catch him and just have to fire back with my warmachines… but whatever…

My list:

Dwarf lord w/ shield bearers, master rune of smiting, 2X rune of cleaving, shield
BSB Thane w/ master rune of gromil, rune of cleaving
Runesmith w/ master rune of balance, rune of spell breaking, shield

20 longbeards w/ FC, great weapons
20 longbeards w/ FC, great weapons
24 warriors w/ banner, musician, shields

18 hammerers w/ full command, shield
2 bolt throwers w/ engineers
grudge thrower w/ rune of accuracy, rune of penetrating
cannon w/ rune of forging, rune of burning

organ gun
organ gun

Getting to use this list was a high point as I really wanted to try out this new list where I dropped the usual thunderers and quarrelers for another block of longbeards.

His list:

Slann w/ know all spells (metal), extra dice, banehead, BSB (probably other stuff)
EotG
Scarvet w/ jaguar charm, light armor, shield

24 spear saurus w/ FC (6 wide)
10 skirmishing skinks
10 skirmishing skinks

20 temple guard w/ FC (6 wide)

Salamander w/ extra handler
Salamander w/ extra handler
Ancient stegadon

Yes he had 3 rares when he bumped his list up, and could have easily put the two salamanders together, but I told him it was no big deal.

The board was 6X4 and I had a hill in the back of my deployment zone, there were woods on the left flank and a hill on the right flank.

He deployed from left to right: salamander and EotG behind the woods, skinks, temple guard w/ slann and scarvet, spear saurus, skinks, steg and salamander behind hill.

I deployed from left to right: longbeards, organ gun, hammerers w/ lord, warriors w/ BSB, organ gun, longbeards, and then on the hill were the other warmachines and the rune priest.

I won first turn and he baneheaded my rune priest.

Pre-Game Thoughts:

I just hoped that my shooting would do enough to make him move in. I assumed the two stegs would work the angles such that they could magic/giant bow me and stay out of LOS of my cannon and grudge thrower. Hopefully the organ guns could stay alive so they could blast the salamanders before they were a problem.

Turn 1 Dwarfs:

No movement. Grudge thrower misfires and can’t shoot, cannon under shoots, and one of the bolt throwers manages to kill 1 spear saurus. Not exactly what I was hoping for…

Turn 1 Lizardmen:

Everything moves up at full speed which really surprises me. The right steg is hiding behind the hill but the EotG had cut in to cover at least his temple guard with the force field. In the magic phase he fails to cast the comet but gets spirit of the forge off with irresistible force and kills 5 hammerers. He also makes it so my left organ gun can’t shoot and I stop the scarvet from flying out.

Turn 2 Dwarfs:

No movement. I have a perfect guess with the grudge thrower on the EotG’s head and misfire again so it couldn’t shoot, the cannon kills 2 temple guard, and between the bolt throwers and the one organ gun I kill 6 spear saurus and they amazingly fail their panic and run right back 8 inches.

Turn 2 Lizardmen:

Spear saurus rally and everything else moves towards me. It’s now very obvious he has no intention of stay back as I know have the temple guard in my face and a stegadon on either flank. The skinks just move 6 up to shoot at the organ guns but do no damage. In the magic phase the force field goes up again, I scroll spirit of the forge, and stop him from zapping my rune priest or flying the scarvet out. He also makes it so the left organ gun can’t shoot again. In the shooting phase both salamanders fail to reach me with their breath weapons.

Turn 3 Dwarfs:

Wanting to make sure he is dedicated to the fight the four blocks move out, with the long beards moving towards their respective steg and the hammerers and warriors lining up side by side to take on the temple guard. In the shooting phase another perfect guess with the grudge thrower on the EotG is ruined by a scatter, but the cannon and bolt throwers do some damage to the temple guard and the organ gun kills the right salamander.

Turn 3 Lizardmen:

The ancient stegadon charges into my right longbeards, the temple guard charge my hammerers/warriors, and the EotG surprises me and flank charges the hammerers rather than hitting the left longbeards. The skinks each charge an organ gun and the salamander moves to roast the left longbeards while the spear saurus move up. In the magic phase his EotG laser beams a couple of dwarfs and he makes it so I can’t use the rune of accuracy next turn, but I stop him from sniping my rune priest and his last spell is a miscast that ends the phase. The salamander then kills a few longbeards and we go to combat.

Both organ guns hold their ground (I actually won the right combat) and the ancient steg/ longbeard combat ends in a win for me due to the musician but he holds. The EotG kills some hammerers with impact hits and then the temple guard unit champ takes my lord’s challenge and I get full overkill. After everything is said and done my hammerers have taken a beating (he’s directing everything at them) but thanks to my lord I win combat and both his units hold.

Turn 4 Dwarfs:

Long beards turn to face the rear of the EotG and the lord move over to be in base to base with it. In the shooting phase my cannon and grudge thrower take out the salamander and the bolt throwers kill a few more spear saurus.

In combat my organ guns still hold on. I beat his ancient steg and it breaks but he gets away (in range to be charged again though). His scarvet takes my lord’s challenge and I kill him and overkill 4. He kills some more hammerers (I’m down to 3 now) but thanks to my lord and the kills from my BSB I win again and he holds.

Turn 4 Lizardmen:

Ancient steg rallies and the spear saurus move up while the remaining salamander handlers on the left move up to try to redirect my longbeards. In the magic phase his laser beam does a wound to my lord and kills a couple of dwarfs, I stop a couple of his spells but he still snipes out my rune priest and kills him.

In combat the organ guns hold. His EotG is forced to take my lord’s challenge and I kill him for full overkill, I win combat and the EotG breaks and runs into the longbeards behind it.

Turn 5 Dwarfs:

Right longbeards charge his ancient steg and the left ones charge the handlers (looking to over run into the flank of the temple guard). My shooting makes a mess of the spear saurus and there are 9 left.

In combat my longbeards all wiff, in both combats, and everything holds. My left organ gun is finally wiped out but the right one holds. My lord, now with no one to challenge, goes to work on the temple guard along with my BSB, and even though I now am down to my hammerer champ I win combat and he holds.

Turn 5 Lizardmen:

Left skinks charge into the cannon and the spear saurus charge into the warriors. Magic makes the warriors worse in combat but does nothing else of note.

In combat my cannon holds and my organ gun does amazing and beats the skinks who flee (and are too small to rally), the left longbeards wipe out the handlers, but the right longbeards do nothing (so far with 8 attacks that longbeard champ hasn’t hit once) and now that they are outnumbered they break and are ran down by the ancient steg. My lord makes a challenge but his spear champ refuses, so he kills more temple guard instead. My last hammerer is killed but I win combat as I now control the static combat res game and the spear saurus break.

Turn 6 Dwarfs:

Longbeards charge into the flank of the temple guard. In my shooting phase I kill enough spear saurus so that they can’t rally.

In combat the cannon holds, and longbeards go crazy and kill 5 temple guard on their own. After all is said and done he has only 4 temple guard left and the slann is forced into combat with the longbeards.

Turn 6 Lizardmen:

Ancient stegadon charges into the grudge thrower and nn the magic phase my lord is made worse in combat.

In combat the ancient steg wipes out the grudge thrower, overruns into the cannon, and then wipes it out as well. The lord challenges the slann and I hit and wound 3 times but me makes 2 wards… I roll my number wounds dice… but it’s only a 3 so the slann lives. He holds (thanks to a reroll) and that’s game.

Adding it up it was a minor victory to the dwarfs.

Post-Game Thoughts:

This game turned out a LOT better than I thought it would and I was actually ashamed of my previous feelings and thoughts. The local lizardman player who had in the past few games ran an aggressive combat list decided to use the same aggressiveness even with his magic list and it made for a great game. Moral of the story: don’t judge a book by it’s cover and go into every game with a positive attitude as you never know what is going to happen.

Looking back we both agreed that even with the flank charge it was a bad decision for him to put his EotG in combat with my hammerers, and thus my lord. Plus had the spear saurus not panicked early it would have made the main combat all that more deadly and certainly in his favor rather than mine.

I know my lord build isn’t overly popular but man was he ever the MVP of this game. He basically kept giving me the same CR output as a high elve battle banner that rolled for a 6 every time plus while doing that he killed off a scarvet, a EotG, almost killed the slann, and knocked down a good number of temple guard.

My opponent also let me know that he would love to get a 4K game in to try some things out and, even though I won’t be able to play next week, I told him I’d take him on in two weeks. I let him know which armies I had that could do 4K and he decided on orcs, so keep your heads up for a large Waaagh! Coming your way ;)

Thanks for reading!

Jormi_Boced
11-03-2010, 17:17
Nice report!

FORtheGREATERgood
11-03-2010, 18:14
Great report. Glad to see everything turned out better than you expected. To be honest, I wouldn't have thought your dwarf lord capable of all that.
Can't wait to see the 4k Orcs battle it out for what should turn out to be an extremely entertaining game.

Malorian
11-03-2010, 18:21
To be honest, I wouldn't have thought your dwarf lord capable of all that.

Man, he's a monster...

WS7, toughness 5, and a 1+ save means he can take a punch...
4 str 6 attacks plus 2 str 4 attacks helps him against hordes...
And against characters, monsters, or even just unit champs in a challenge those D6 wounds really make him king.

I've only had that model die twice and I've lost track of how many lords and monsters he's killed :evilgrin:

Toshiro
11-03-2010, 20:45
Aye, the dwarf lord is brutal, I hate facing it, the bastard just don't die lol

Great rep as always Mal, glad you ended up enjoying the game =)

Hicks
12-03-2010, 04:23
Great report and I like your lord.

selone
12-03-2010, 16:13
Thanks for the report Mal, sounds quite the fun game. me thinks I might avoid the lord :o

Zapfork
15-03-2010, 15:09
Thanks for the report! Cant wait for the 4k orc battle.

maze ironheart
15-03-2010, 16:24
Great report look forward to seeing more by the way do you still play with your vampire army if so are you planning on doing reports again.

Bedsheets
15-03-2010, 17:22
Great read. Look forward to the big WAAGH.

Malorian
15-03-2010, 17:29
maze ironheart, I will be bringing the vampires out again and I think at this point they are kinda due.

For those that are wondering, this will be my 4K orc list:

Grimgor Ironhide
Savage orc warboss w/ great axe, armor of gork, amulet of protectyness, battle brew
Black orc bigboss BSB w/ spirit totem, heavy armor, boar
Black orc on a chariot w/ heavy armor
Goblin shaman w/ 2 scrolls, wolf chariot
Night goblin shaman w/ staff of sneaky stealing

25 savage orcs w/ spears and full command
25 boyz w/ shield, banner, musician
25 boyz w/ shield, banner, musician
25 boyz w/ shield, banner
25 boyz w/ shield, banner
29 night goblins w/ nets, banner, musician, 2 fanatics
5 wolf riders w/ bows, spears, musician
5 wolf riders w/ bows, spears, musician
5 spider riders w/ musician

24 black orcs w/ musician, banner, waaagh banner
6 squig hoppers
Orc chariot
Orc chariot
2 spear chukkas
2 spear chukkas

Doom diver
Troll
Troll
Pump wagon

Total: 4000 exactly

Bedsheets
15-03-2010, 22:43
That's an Impressive list. I'm eager to see how Grimgor does. I've used him on occasion and have had mixed results, but had fun fielding him. Any reason why no one ever gives their Black Orc on Chariot Porkos pig Stick. I suppose it gives you nothing if you flank charge with him.

Malorian
15-03-2010, 22:59
I just like to keep him cheap ;)

As for Grimgor, I've used him a couple times and he has done fairly well. However I have a bad feeling a carnosaur riding, blade of realities swinging, oldblood is going to go straight for him...

GuyLeCheval
16-03-2010, 15:41
I just like to keep him cheap ;)

As for Grimgor, I've used him a couple times and he has done fairly well. However I have a bad feeling a carnosaur riding, blade of realities swinging, oldblood is going to go straight for him...

Grimgor strikes first, doesn't he? Dead Oldblood at least...

Malorian
16-03-2010, 17:05
I don't know about that... even on a carnosaur the old blood can easily have a 1+ save and a ward...

My plan is to shoot him down before he gets to me ;)

Grimgor and the black orcs are more likely to make a B-line for a tasty temple guard unit and start tearing it up.

warmong3r
17-03-2010, 02:04
Malorian, loved the dwarf report, as i'm a dwarf player. Glad you enjoyed the game after all. I just have one problem, in the dwarf army, you can't have more longbeards than you can warriors. Lol other than that great report and i cant possibly imagine how fun that 4k game will be

TonyFlow
17-03-2010, 02:19
you can if your general is a dwarf lord.

Volker the Mad Fiddler
17-03-2010, 02:20
Malorian, loved the dwarf report, as i'm a dwarf player. Glad you enjoyed the game after all. I just have one problem, in the dwarf army, you can't have more longbeards than you can warriors. Lol other than that great report and i cant possibly imagine how fun that 4k game will be

Actually, as long as your general is a Dwarf Lord you can have one more unit of longbeards than warriors as the longbeards represent the Lord's own clan.

Great report. I hope to play you if I ever head up north.

SevenSins
17-03-2010, 12:23
nice rep, and a pleasant surprise with the aggressive play from the LM player, so happy when people do stuff like that.
Looking forward to the 4K

castlesmadeofsand
18-03-2010, 21:49
For those that are wondering, this will be my 4K orc list:

Grimgor Ironhide
Savage orc warboss w/ great axe, armor of gork, amulet of protectyness, battle brew
Black orc bigboss BSB w/ spirit totem, heavy armor, boar
Black orc on a chariot w/ heavy armor
Night goblin shaman w/ staff of sneaky stealing

thats some serious magic defence, 4 scrolls, the staff and the totem. how much magic are you expecting?

looking forward to this one.

Malorian
19-03-2010, 06:02
I wouldn't be surprised to see Lord Kroak.

Djekar
20-03-2010, 03:18
With 4k of lizards to fight ... I'd be scared that I hadn't brought enough magic defense in that setup!

Thanks for the dwarf report and good luck in your 4k battle. I think Grimgor will wreck the Oldblood if it comes to it, but I have to admit that shooting the poor ancient sap down from a distance sounds like the safest bet.