PDA

View Full Version : Understanding tithe grades?

Raellos
13-03-2010, 08:10
Does anyone? I don't.

For the details of important planets in my home-brew sector, I've been using the tithe grades from the third edition rulebook, but these are only "from - to" listings, and do not show the grades in between.

Is there a full list of tithe grades in any of the 40k roleplay books? Has anyone made a 'guesstimation' of the missing grades and the order in which they appear?

Or if there's anything else you know about tithe grades outside of these queries, post away.

Cromwell Haarlock-Leth
13-03-2010, 12:03
Aptus Non (also Adeptus Non) : No Tithe at all. exemple: Adeptus Astartes homeworlds, Dead world, etc... (Lexikanum)

Solutio Tertius: Feral worlds, Death worlds. (Lexikanum)

Solutio Prima: Feudal worlds, some Death worlds with special ressources. (Lexikanum)

Solutio Extremis: Feudal worlds with special ressources, poor Civilized worlds, such as a poor forest world. (Lexikanum)

Decuma Particular : no sources, but, IMO: from the etimology, this grade applies to worlds whose tithe is only composed of would-be Guardsmen.(personal opinion)

Exactis Tertius : Mining worlds, backwater Civilized world, minor Forge worlds, or worlds which cannot sustain a heavier level of tithe because they're at war, and already use whatever they produce to defend themselves or theit sector. (Medusa V, Agrippinaa) (Lexikanum + personal opinion)

Exactis Prima : Major Agri-worlds (those which are tasked to feed Hive worlds), most Civilized worlds, non-specialized Forge worlds, minor Hive worlds. (Lexikanum + personal opinion)

Exactis Particular : Hive worlds, Forge worlds, (IMO, probably, in both instances, those which have something "special" to offer, hence the "particular".) (Lexikanum + personal opinion)

Exactis Extremis: Major Hive worlds.(personal opinion)

As you can see, I didn't find complete explanations for all Tithe Grades, having tried to fill the voids for my own campaign, and here is the guideline I chose to follow.
If anybody have better sources or ideas they're welcome.:)

Raellos
13-03-2010, 13:06
Cheers for that. When I have access to it again, I'll type up what I have from the 3rd ed book.

Forge worlds would be Aptus Non, because they are operated by the Ad. Mech. who are nominally separate from the Imperium.

I always thought the particular in Exactis Particular would function as a synonym for especially, but hsd never really thought of it the other way.

Thankyou!

Cromwell Haarlock-Leth
13-03-2010, 13:50
It seems that there's an amniguity about that. Most Forge world are indeed classified under the "Aptus non" entry, but:

"Ancient pacts between the Adeptus Mechanicus and other worlds and institutions of the Imperium oblige the various Forge Worlds to supply other worlds and the various military arms of the Imperium, such as the Imperial Guard." (lexikanum, again!)

and:
"Agripinaa = Forge world, Exactis Tertius."

So, some forge world seem to be subject to the tithe, while others are "only" required to supply other worlds and/or military forces and /or Adepta.
This sounds like a disguised tithe to me. But, you're perfectly, right, it's not a true tithe. I choose to simplify for classification, but, as far as control is concerned, no Administratum operative would be involved, excepted on the few Forge Worlds (such as Agripinaa) which have a tithe to pay...

"Particular": I may be wrong. But, as a frog and snail eater, I used one the common translation for this word "particulier", which means "special, having a specific characteristic". Thus my idea that those worlds may have something special to offer, such as professional green and yellow marsupial -like rugby players, high grade wines, superb 12 years old single malts, reputed University-like courses, special alloys, and so on...
Or warriors. "Decuma" (not entry in my latin dictionary) sounds to me like "Decima", thus leads me to "Decimatio", the fact of choosing one man out of ten in the old roman legions (for execution purpose, when the whole Legio acted in a cowarly manner). Thus my interpretation of "Decuma" particular.

Hope it helps...

Condottiere
13-03-2010, 17:21
"Ancient pacts between the Adeptus Mechanicus and other worlds and institutions of the Imperium oblige the various Forge Worlds to supply other worlds and the various military arms of the Imperium, such as the Imperial Guard." (lexikanum, again!)

and:
"Agripinaa = Forge world, Exactis Tertius."

So, some forge world seem to be subject to the tithe, while others are "only" required to supply other worlds and/or military forces and /or Adepta.
This sounds like a disguised tithe to me. But, you're perfectly, right, it's not a true tithe. I choose to simplify for classification, but, as far as control is concerned, no Administratum operative would be involved, excepted on the few Forge Worlds (such as Agripinaa) which have a tithe to pay...

Sounds like bilateral agreements; which normally a paranoid bureaucracy would attempt to stamp out, but with the sheer size of the Imperium, probably a very common occurrence.