PDA

View Full Version : Ring of hotek usage

LanceSaba
13-03-2010, 12:59
Is it really a good idea to try and fit all of your units under the ring? wouldn't it be better to mount the ring on a peg and have him watch your front line turn one then try to sit on top of there mages that way if you can set it up properly you can trap there mages in the field and leave other units exposed for your magic to pummel.

willowdark
13-03-2010, 13:22
I run mine on a CoK champ and run it in tandem with my Hydra on a flank, that way I can protect them both from the Lores of Beasts, Metal and Fire, which are the best weapons against them.

King_Pash
14-03-2010, 18:31
I don't play DE (i'm a High Elf player - boo! hiss!) but I would suspect that a T3 model in short range of my bolt throwers and archers wouldn't survive too long.. I think the RoH would serve better if it protected the majority of your units as a shield rather than a trap.

leeoaks
14-03-2010, 21:23
it deepends on who you are playing, how they poistion their mages and what your threat is to your opponent. what list are you using?

"but I would suspect that a T3 model in short range of my bolt throwers and archers wouldn't survive too long" it depends on if the character has a 1+save inverse ward and regen....if he does fill your boots.

willowdark
14-03-2010, 21:28
Except that you can't have the Ring and the Pendant, since they're both Talismans.

Generally speaking, I wouldn't put it on a character, since there are no ward saves available that can stack with it, and if you buy magic armour you can't get a magic weapon.

There aren't any good builds for the Ring, no good synergies, so put it on a unit champ.

leeoaks
14-03-2010, 21:34
i could see a use for it on a dark peg, if you dont have a unit champ availiable or even if the list was designed a certain way.

tmarichards
14-03-2010, 22:17
Unit champion is where I usually put it unless that set-up is banned by a tournament comp. A character is good, but only if you're running a Deathstar in my opinion. There are just so many better set-ups for your characters...

Also, unless your opponent has almost exclusively defensive spells, they'll need to either cast into the bubble or not cast at all. Both ways, you win.

LanceSaba
14-03-2010, 22:44
I used a hero on peg with the ring (Heavy armor set up, lance, Shield of ghrond, ring of hotek) and surrounded him with a screen of harpies. could a set up like this work, hoping around their line. anyway if the ring where on a peg it would greatly improve its usefulness allowing placement where needed most.

sulla
15-03-2010, 00:15
There aren't any good builds for the Ring, no good synergies, so put it on a unit champ.Well, it's sub optimal, but not dreadful to put it on a master.

He can still be on a manticore with a battle standard and dreadlance for some glasshammer-ness in knights flanks...

Or on a steed or d.peggy with the shield of ghrond or enchanted shield for some warmachine/mage hunting.

The unit champ is usually the safest option but some armies can counter him (e.g. hochland-heavy empire or nurgle magic heavy WoC). Playing against a gunline, a character is often a safer choice because 15 BG or 6 knights can get cut down to nothing in short order.

Seth the Dark
15-03-2010, 12:50
I never realized that it affected the Dark Elf player too.

tmarichards
15-03-2010, 15:11
I never realized that it affected the Dark Elf player too.

Yep, not many people make that mistake more than once...

I'm trialling it on a level 1 on a dark steed at a tournament in a couple of weeks, where it's not allowed to go on a unit champion. Chances are she'll hide in a unit of units with a 5+ cauldron ward save until they engage, but looking forward to seeing how it goes...