PDA

View Full Version : State of the Skaven Art

Grunge
13-03-2010, 23:54
I got a load of Skaven minitures lying around from last edition.
I have read the book and decided to finish them off and start playing them.
I got a few questions before I start:

1) What are the best Skaven builds around at the moment? I'm trying to figure out if I would have to buy a lot of miniatures before I could give my new army a tournment spin. No one plays Skaven at my regular groups, so I'm a bit far off of what's useable or not.

2) What are the standart unit sizes to carry a Screaming Bell? And in what unit should one be taken? What about Plague Furnaces?

3) What are the base sizes for Abominations, Screaming Bells and Plague Furnaces?

4) I was aiming to field a Bell and a Furnace in a magic heavy list. Is it possible to make a list like that work under the new army book?

5) I ask thee to show me the best Skaven cheese (eheh cheese) builds around. What is winning tournaments around there with the Skaven?

Tarliyn
14-03-2010, 00:31
Well as far as a tourney scene goes the hellpit abomination is a no brainer. Stormvermin are great for their value but won't fit into every list. The plague furnace is also great but be ready to build your list around them. Not sure if the bell or a magic heavy list in general is viable for the tourney scene. I personally would probably avoid warp lighting cannons since they have been made pretty unreliable in this edition. My friend uses the catapult with great efficiency, it causes panic if it does one wound and that can wreck some armies. Other than that I would just kinda focus on the models you have and your vision for your list. There are a lot of competitive builds in that book, is it daemons no but really do you want it to be.

Tower_Of_The_Stars
14-03-2010, 10:36
I was considering having a screaming bell in my list since I already have the old model. In the recent FAQ they "suggest" treating it as a US 6 model +1 for the Grey Seer so I'm going to mount mine on a chariot base. For the new kit that makes either the screaming bell or the plague furnace though I think they provide you with a base that is the size of 3x5 small infantry bases.

limkopi
14-03-2010, 11:57
1) HPA/Doomwheel/Plague Furnace/Grey Seer/PCB/1 Engineer/BSB works quite well. Fill core with Warpfire Thrower clanrats and slaves (2-3 units of 20) and units of min Giant rats.

2) The Bell should not be taken as it is too random. And the only thing it can reliably do is move forwards D6", not something you want your Grey Seer to do. The Furnace, on the other hand, is rather deadly when it hits. Put the Furnace in a unit of 20 Monks with Standard and Musician and you're set. You can attach a Banner of the Under-empire to it.

3) HPA is "suggested" by the FAQ to be 60x100mm, which is available in the Bell/Furnace box.

4) As mentioned, the Bell is not really worthy. Magic could be really deadly (to both sides as you risk miscasting with 7 dice casting 13th spell) the 5th spell of both lores are really good against HEQ (Human Equivalent).

5) Highlighted in the first para.

Grunge
14-03-2010, 13:41
What about magic items on the Grey Seer and Plague Priest?

snottlebocket
14-03-2010, 13:42
The nice thing about skaven is that you can bring practically everything and the kitchen sink and still have points over to pad your army out with clanrats and slaves.

Grunge
15-03-2010, 00:17
My point on taking both the Bell and a Furnace was to be able to field a non-horde Skaven army.

My point was to go magic heavy to stack up on power and do not rely on waves of rats.

Is that possible at all? Playing a non-horde Skaven list to tournment levels?

Esco Thomson
15-03-2010, 01:25
My point on taking both the Bell and a Furnace was to be able to field a non-horde Skaven army.

My point was to go magic heavy to stack up on power and do not rely on waves of rats.

I don't know, I am running both a Bell and Furnace in my current 2250 list. I am a bit "heavier" on the magic side (10 PD), but I guess nothing over the top to today's standards.

I enjoy it, and it has been working wonders in testing, I do have a large tournament this weekend and can let you know how it fares there.

I do still have a decent model count though, so I don't know about non-hoard...that's the thing with this army though, you can but 21 models for 42 points, so it isn't hard to dump points into characters or rare choices, and still have plenty of bodies.

KayazyAssassin
15-03-2010, 01:41

it works quite well actually i play that list alot and i have no problems with it

Grunge
15-03-2010, 20:31
I enjoy it, and it has been working wonders in testing, I do have a large tournament this weekend and can let you know how it fares there.

I'd really like to know how it goes out for you. That and details about the list you're playing!

it works quite well actually i play that list alot and i have no problems with it

What list is that, in more detail?

Esco Thomson
16-03-2010, 00:26
I'd really like to know how it goes out for you. That and details about the list you're playing!

I will let you know after Saturday's tournament, and the list is the link in my signature.

Currently the only thing in testing that has gave me an overall "meh" or hit and miss performance really has been the larger Giant Rat pack.

Debating shrinking it down and tossing in a weapon team, or messing around with points elsewhere, but will probably leave it for Saturday.