PDA

View Full Version : Tau stuff.

Tom
12-02-2006, 23:35
Just a couple of pics for a graphic novel I plan. Excuse the odd skin tone, wierd pens...

Flame of Udun
13-02-2006, 00:08
Hey thats some pretty cool looking Tau you've got there.
2 things: 1) the tau with the helmet on has a slightly distorted head.(I can see you were trying to suddest that he/she id looking off to his right but the head seems a wee bit small.)
2) I don't think they suit that shade of green, but thats more of a personal thing than anything bad really.
Keep us posted on your progress :)

StugMeister
16-02-2006, 11:58
Nice job Tom!

I wouldn't worry about the distorted head, as long as you can consistently draw the same throughout the graphic novel then it shouldn't matter too much.

McMullet
16-02-2006, 12:04
I didn't notice the head myself, but now it's been mentioned it does look slightly odd that the helmet on the right is smaller than the head on the left.

Other than that, they look very groovy! :)

juddski
16-02-2006, 12:09
looking good , have you thought about having a go with paints instead of pens?................?.....just a thought as you can get some nice effects with paint

Sephiroth
16-02-2006, 16:06
I like. :D

ArtificerArmour
16-02-2006, 21:15
Very 80's.

not a bad thing...

Tom
17-02-2006, 02:37
Bit of a colour scheme revision to fit more with my Shadowsun cadre, oh, and this is her right hand man, Shas'vre Dal'yth La'teya Kelyr Ulk'ai. Or Vre'la'teya.

And yes, that is an XV22. The sixth, actually.

Regarding comments:
Flame of Udun: Yes, got the green as being odd quite a bit. It's now ice blue armour. I may post pics of the models once the digicam works.
Stugmeister: Thanks! I'm hoping I can, I'm at the phase where I'm confident enough to do posing that I can do this. Although I still can't draw human faces. Ergo, no humans. Tau and some orks. The working title's 'Ideology', it's mostly about Shadowsun leading a team to recover Commander Farsight, and how she deals with Tau ideology regarding traitors, opinions and such, especially since she's not got an Ethereal with her. She absolutely, totally wants him dead, but that's not how Tau do things.
McMullet:If I could get heads the same size consistently, I would. Damn my eyes...
Juddski: Yes, I have. Not my thing, alas. I can do (IMO) wonderful things given the plastic and metal lumps in front of me, but put it to paper and it all goes to pot. I'm starting to like the heavy shading style I'm developing too.
Sephiroth: Erm, thanks!
AA: Come to think of it, yes! Though that's more GW's fault. Believe it or not, I want to try and avoid manga styling where possible. So we have mechs, high tech and that- very Japanese/oriental themes- presented in an utterly western (BRITISH!) style.

Hopefully, my next trick will be Shadowsun herself.

Flame of Udun
17-02-2006, 02:42
That looks really sweet! Those twin burst cannons look mean:evilgrin:

Tom
17-02-2006, 02:49
Wonder if I could field them as XV8s.

StugMeister
17-02-2006, 08:58
Yes, I have. Not my thing, alas. I can do (IMO) wonderful things given the plastic and metal lumps in front of me, but put it to paper and it all goes to pot. I'm starting to like the heavy shading style I'm developing too.

Perhaps you could colour them up in Photoshop or similar program? That'd mean that colours would stay consistent and sharper too.

Tom
17-02-2006, 19:58
That might be what I do for the final pieces, actually. Just it's very time-consuming. I can colour something in with the pens in ten minutes which'd take an hour and a half in APS.

Tom
23-02-2006, 23:01
I've been quiet this week, I'll admit. Been a bit busy a: painting fire warriors b: giving the middle finger to people who say Crisis Suits can't be made to look good.

And yes, they even have the same square heads.

My Twin Linked Burst Cannon one only has one limb which hasn't been cut in two and rebuilt. ALthough I needed to fix a bit where I got the lower left leg on backwards...

My sprinting dual-flamer Monat's a bit simpler, he's sprinting; needed only one leg redoing completely, most of the work's been on the vectored retro thrusters and the underslung flamers.

MIGHTYPanhead
23-02-2006, 23:25
it's mostly about Shadowsun leading a team to recover Commander Farsight, and how she deals with Tau ideology regarding traitors, opinions and such, especially since she's not got an Ethereal with her. She absolutely, totally wants him dead, but that's not how Tau do things

very cool basis, oddly enough... my cadre is an offshoot of the enclaves, going to be led by a farsight-alike (though an XV89). could be a cool basis for ideas.

might start to do some tau art, tau vs. tau? hmmmm

*goes plotting*

thanks for the inspiration tom!

*oh yeah, the art :p

very comic-book style, i like it. the scheme is very interesting to say the least, looking foreward to seeing some mini's in the scheme! :)

Tom
24-02-2006, 02:08
very cool basis, oddly enough... my cadre is an offshoot of the enclaves, going to be led by a farsight-alike (though an XV89). could be a cool basis for ideas.

might start to do some tau art, tau vs. tau? hmmmm

*goes plotting*

thanks for the inspiration tom!

Hmm. Actually, I'd been looking for help with writing and conceptualising the thing...

MIGHTYPanhead
24-02-2006, 02:17
Hmm. Actually, I'd been looking for help with writing and conceptualising the thing...

interesting, not much of a writer, but i could try to bung up ideas if need be

Tom
24-02-2006, 16:45
Well, I plan on adopting the George Lucas method of VIsual Creativity. i.e. the story comes from the initial artwork, not the other way around (corssref. The Art of Star Wars: Episode III). Only I haven't got Ryan Church and Alex Jaeger helping me out.