PDA

View Full Version : first time fielding a Verminlord.

Foegnasher
20-03-2010, 03:29
2500 against empire. had the stormbanner for cover

turn 1: moves up, casts plague, takes out 4 knights, 12 swordsmen and 11 flagellants.

turn 2: charges a unit of 10 greatswords, who break from terror and are run down.

turn 3: moves behind line, on opponents turn, unit of xbows flees from terror

turn 4: failed charge as hellblaster crew runs for thier life.

turn 5, charges 4 kinghts with warrior priest, who are unbreakable. kills them and runs down the survivor on bottom 5

turn 6 charges steamtank, which has 8 wounds. bottom 6 steam tank destroyed.

well, so much for my theory that he would never get his points back.

stazba
20-03-2010, 04:14
Jeez!
I've never fielded him as I stopped playing before 7th came out, but that just seems crazy.

Do you think this is more of an aberration than typical performance? It seems to me that the dice gods were smiling on you that day.

Djekar
20-03-2010, 04:45
That's one busy emissary of the Horned Rat, sir.

I'd be interested to see what the big VL can do against things that aren't quite so scared of him though - to see if he's worth it outside of the psychological gamble thing.

outbreak
22-03-2010, 01:19
I've used mine 3 times, hasn't died yet. His killed a treeman in combat, destroyed alot of daemonettes with vermintide/wither/pestilent breath. With his huge movement rate it's sooooooo easy running him onto a flank them spamming template spells/cracks call down the enemies lines.

soots
22-03-2010, 04:44
And he was better last version.... He could go toe to toe with a blood thirster.

Nowadays hes crossbow fodder.

Gaargod
22-03-2010, 10:55
Unfortunately, anecdotal evidence. Although sounds pretty fun at it :)

End of day, grey seer is still the more efficient choice at 2k. At 3k, where you can get a decent LD general... then he's a lot more worth it.

Mind you, there is an argument for fielding him with a couple of A-Bombs, and just sitting back to watch all hell break loose.

The SkaerKrow
22-03-2010, 11:36
Nicely done, Foegnasher.

theunwantedbeing
22-03-2010, 12:02
turn 4: failed charge as hellblaster crew runs for thier life.

It's only a failed charge if you are out of range of the machine.

Kevlar
24-03-2010, 14:07
I've fielded him a few times. He has single handedly killed Vlad and Isabella, a black coach, and bombed numerous units with cloud of corruption. Haven't lost him yet.

Say he is xbow fodder all you want. He moves 8 so its pretty easy to get him into CC with stuff he can beat before the storm banner runs out.

shadow hunter
24-03-2010, 14:28
I've used him twice against Chaos Warriors. He was pretty good in both games. It helps that my opponent has little magic and no shooting I guess.

The cloud spell is great. Have used that with great effect. As is getting in range to cast Wither on the warriors/knights.

Necromancer2
24-03-2010, 17:58
lol what did the rest of the army do?? :)

Ultimate Life Form
24-03-2010, 18:20
If he's truly that good I might field him as well.

Foegnasher
24-03-2010, 20:04
lol what did the rest of the army do?? :)

Rest of what army? I just brought the VL

TheZombieSquig
24-03-2010, 23:35
VL on one flank. Crazy wheel on the other. Just like the old days.

Urgat
25-03-2010, 00:21
Looking at it, I really don't understand all the hate. Yeah, he's expensive, but come on, it's great, probably worth evry single point put in there. If it was slow, sure, it might be a gamble, but its pretty fast, so you can protect it easily. A greyseer might look better with the bell, but its nowhere near as versatile imho. And as a gob player used to abyssal Ld, that argument doesn't convince me :p

Foegnasher
25-03-2010, 00:35
VL on one flank. Crazy wheel on the other. Just like the old days.
No wheel, super-gribbly.

The a-bomb can handle one flank, and the Emmisary of the Horned One has the other.

I like this plan. I'm glad to be a part of it.

Kevlar
25-03-2010, 01:57
It might be neat to put him in the center of the table and hide him behind two aboms. Won't stop cannon balls who would then have a very juicy target line, but it would stymie bolt throwers!

Dantès
25-03-2010, 02:07
Dual a-bomb and VL is unstoppable. Tried it when I needed to fill out some extra points with proxies, vs a dual hydra list. Game was over by turn 4.

ChaosVC
25-03-2010, 02:15
Just out of curiosity, how much does he cost? Can I have a picture of this abomination painted by you?:p

Foegnasher
25-03-2010, 02:41
Just out of curiosity, how much does he cost? Can I have a picture of this abomination painted by you?:p

Verminous Maximus is 500 points.

Alas, any camera man brave enough to get close to "Mr. Whiskers" my hellpit abomination has been susequently devoured. Trust me, he's cuddly and cute. For a mutant monstrosity.

ChaosVC
25-03-2010, 02:47
Verminous Maximus is 500 points.

Alas, any camera man brave enough to get close to "Mr. Whiskers" my hellpit abomination has been susequently devoured. Trust me, he's cuddly and cute. For a mutant monstrosity.

Awww... thats sad to know...say "kuchi kuchi koo" to the cuddly monstrosity for me will yeah.:cries:

stazba
25-03-2010, 03:06
Dual a-bomb and VL is unstoppable. Tried it when I needed to fill out some extra points with proxies, vs a dual hydra list. Game was over by turn 4.

Cheese vs Cheese. Well as they are rats, I guess cheese is appropriate but I don't think that list will win you many friends.

Outa curiosity, does anyone think that build would have success against a demon army of doom?

Kevlar
25-03-2010, 03:17
Cheese vs Cheese. Well as they are rats, I guess cheese is appropriate but I don't think that list will win you many friends.

Outa curiosity, does anyone think that build would have success against a demon army of doom?

Might not do too well against a flamer/magic heavy list. Could probably give the Khorny guys a run for their money though.

KayazyAssassin
25-03-2010, 03:59
i see people complianing about low ld if you bring him but really your only losing ld 10 you can still have ld 9 with a chieftain or plague priest. But after reading this ill have to try him out

Ultimate Life Form
25-03-2010, 04:08
The biggest problem usually should be getting him across the battlefield alive, like is the case with the giant.

Kevlar
25-03-2010, 04:37
The biggest problem usually should be getting him across the battlefield alive, like is the case with the giant.

Well he moves a lot faster than a giant, plus has cover of the storm banner for at least one shooting phase.

Djekar
25-03-2010, 07:49
Also, a ward save. While not very reliable, it is loads better than aiming your giant at something and giving him a "good game" slap on the rump to get him started. Poor Greg ...

Necromancer2
25-03-2010, 12:56
I'm thinking VL and dual DoomWheels.

FailSafe07
25-03-2010, 14:11
I was thinking that VL double HPA could be absolutely disgusting.

Something like this maybe:

Verminlord

Plague Priest Lvl 2 (Plague Furnace)

Warlock Engineer Lvl 2

Warlock Engineer Lvl 2

15 Stormvermin (Storm Banner)

5x Blocks of 20 skavenslaves

25 Plague Priests

HPA

HPA

The lists presents 4 seriously nasty targets with tons of magic and plenty of slaves to soak up fire or redirect while your big nasties are getting into position.

Dantès
25-03-2010, 15:32
That was something like the list I used. It was quite the interesting game. I owned him in the magic and combat phases, and with so many models outside of the HPA's and VL he had a hard time doing anything special with his shooting. Instead of the Stormvermin and plague monks, I took two big blocks of clanrats with a warlock engineer in each, a bsb with storm banner in one and the plague priest in the other. Those were the central blocks of my army, and though they took some shooting, they didn't run. The bsb also helped the slaves stay on the table a bit longer, which was good.

It's nigh unstoppable, with that many models and the three big'uns. I don't actually own a VL or HPA, as I prefer the Doomwheel personally (the wound multiplier on warp lightning can be a game changer), but I can see this being one of those where after you play it once, no one would want to play you again.

Even the local demon player wasn't interested in playing a game with me after what happened, and he runs the bloodthirster/obsidian armor with 12 flamers list. He called the army too cheesy and said he wasn't willing to play against proxied minis :p

Foegnasher
25-03-2010, 20:09
I'm thinking VL and dual DoomWheels.

That is a colossally bad idea. You are one mismeasure away from nukeing your verminlord. I wouldn't do that.

Mullitron
25-03-2010, 20:11
To the people who have used the vermin lord, how do you normaly choose which lore to roll on for its spells?

Kevlar
25-03-2010, 20:30
To the people who have used the vermin lord, how do you normaly choose which lore to roll on for its spells?

Pestilence of course. The short range doesn't hinder him with his good movement and survivability. So you can get into the thick of things and let off cloud of corruption and hit most of your opponent's army. He is devastating with that and plague.

FORtheGREATERgood
25-03-2010, 21:03
That's besides the fact that my empire still have yet to conquer their under-world menace. I haven't faced it yet but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. Abombs are hard enough for me to kill (I'm not one of "those" who run all knights and dual STank) so it's tough times for the empire.