PDA

View Full Version : Would it be wise to purchase Necrons now?

Wolf 11x
25-03-2010, 04:34
I like the army but I doubt it's competitive with such an old codex. It seems it could be wise to pick up a pair of battleforces for cheap now and start painting in advance.

Thoughts? I've always liked their models and the overall concept of the army.

enigma-96
25-03-2010, 04:42
Get at least 2 battle forces now they are way too good of a deal to give up when they are repacked.

Wolf 11x
25-03-2010, 04:43
I'm comparison shopping now and it's ~$130+ value for $90. The Tyranids (my other army) are $105 for ~$115 value. The Nid Battleforce comes with a horrible hodge podge of models. The Necron one seems extremely viable.

I would have 56 warriors, 14 scarabs, and 6 destroyers to start.

Project2501
25-03-2010, 04:45
If you have cash burning a hole in your pocket sure.

Realistically, do you really want to play Necrons, or just score a deal picking them up now and letting them sit mostly, praying they'll be amazing sometime in the future, and you can say 'I was playing Necrons before you/the bandwagon nanee nanee booboo'?

Frep
25-03-2010, 04:46
Thats a little cynical, even by warseer standards. I say grab the battleforces now, heck add a lord and a couple monoliths and you've got a helluva good sized army.

Stormfather
25-03-2010, 04:47
I don't think there are any concrete rumors on what to expect for Necrons, but considering the fact that the Necrons have such nice plastics, I doubt you could go wrong getting started.

I'm working on 1500 points of Necrons as a side project, they're a lot simpler to paint than Guard and Inquisition. Mostly came from 2 battleforces, they're a great deal as has been said before. Warriors, Destroyer, metal Lord, Monolith, Tomb Spyders, and scarabs all have good models. I haven't painted anything else, though I have seen finished wraiths and they look great.

However, there are a few hangups with collecting necrons, like the Immortals. The models are almost $14 a piece, a bit bland, and you'll likely want 5-10 of them in a midsized army! However, it is possible to convert 2 warriors into one Immortal.

Just don't expect to win too many games with them!

Wolf 11x
25-03-2010, 04:47
Let me clarify for you:

I like the army but I doubt it's competitive with such an old codex. It seems it could be wise to pick up a pair of battleforces for cheap now and start painting in advance.

Thoughts? I've always liked their models and the overall concept of the army.

I'm in college now and have the money to afford my own models. I have more options available to me.

I was thinking two battleforces, and eventually a Lord & Monolith would be an awesome start (and actually makes a 1500 point force quite easily).

Stormfather
25-03-2010, 04:50
I'd advise Heavy Destroyers, as well. They can do a lot of damage for their price.

SlightlyEstranged
25-03-2010, 04:56
Untill the codex is updated 56 is way more than enough warriors. The 6 destros wouldn't be bad however. Scarabs normally come with the warriors in the boxes. All that you're getting for a deal are the destroyers.

enigma-96
25-03-2010, 05:12
Untill the codex is updated 56 is way more than enough warriors. The 6 destros wouldn't be bad however. Scarabs normally come with the warriors in the boxes. All that you're getting for a deal are the destroyers.

Not necessarily true as you do need a fair core of warriors, I agree though that many is way too many, and taking one large group of scarabs is very effective, so really the 2 boxes give you all the warriors you need, most of the destroyers you need, and all the scarabs you'll ever need, plus extra bitz. Besides the boxes are so much cheaper than what it actually costs to get them it's okay if he ends up with like 10 warriors too many.

*edit Wolf 11x you should look a little harder through online retailers since I've seen a few now that sell the Battleforce for as low as $70-75 which means you save yet another 20 bucks off of an already ridiculous saving.

Clang
25-03-2010, 05:42
I'd avoid the metal and semi-metal models - at least some of those would seem very likely to get plastic equivalents. But buying the basic plastics is probably a good idea.

You could also consider buying old unwanted armies and then stripping them - such a currently unpopular army could be a bargain. But that depends on your painting style and how well prepared the army is (flash lines removed, neatly glued, etc).

Thud
25-03-2010, 06:18
Most, if not all, of the models in the Necron Battle Force are very unlikely to be updated with the new Necron release, and they will most definately not disappear in a new codex.

Immortals, though, I'd hold off on buying just yet.

Darthvegeta800
25-03-2010, 07:17
Go for it. They're fun, look good and bar the design of thz C'tan, I love their fluff/rules.

Wolf 11x
25-03-2010, 13:49
@Thud - That was my thinking. Surely, Warriors will be updated to be a greater focal point in 6th edition lists.

I found two on Ebay for $75 each. I figure I could get those, a Monolith, and have 1500 points for <$235.

VonManstein
25-03-2010, 14:52
I had the same thing as you have now. I choose not to. Why? Well currently they have a bland/boring codex when compared with other armies. Not only powerwise, but also variety in the gameplay overall. I do not know when the codex comes and if it comes: will it be better? Probably yes, but maybe not...

Wolf 11x
25-03-2010, 16:47
I don't find them bland. :p

At any rate, I'm currently finishing revising my Nids and I am doing excellently with them. I'd be ok with having a somewhat lackluster 2nd army. As I've already stated, I like the models and the concept.

Similarly, in Fantasy, I had Wood Elves, which I am great with, and bought High Elves. I don't use Teclis, Tyrion, a Star Dragon, etc. I do fine. :)

VonManstein
25-03-2010, 16:58
If the gameplay aspect isnt much of a problem, then by all means go for it.

Thanatos_elNyx
25-03-2010, 17:02
Buy any models that they aren't likely to replace.
I doubt they will change Destroyers or Warriors so get some of those, but don't go near the Immortals, etc which will be getting new models as you will just be throwing your money away.
(That being said, if the new Immortal Models are rubbish then the old models would pick up premium pricein the future.)

Bonzai
25-03-2010, 17:20
According to rumors, 2011 will be the earliest we'll see the new dex. It is also rumored that flayed ones, immortals, and tomb syders will be plastic. So go ahead and get the 2 battleforces, a monolith, and d. Lord. They should be a very safe bet. I started with 2 of the phalanxes, so followed a similar thought process. Who knows? Maybe by the time they are all painted up you will have a nice shiny new dex.

Right now I am seriously considering doing the same with the tau battle force, which is also a bargain.

Wolf 11x
25-03-2010, 17:44
I appreciate all the input so far. I get paid tomorrow so maybe I'll order one. :p Is anywhere cheaper than $75 (including S&H)?

Red Beard
25-03-2010, 17:47
I think you should go for it. You answered your own question. You have always liked the army so you should get them.

I love Necrons. I like robots, i like zombies...hell, Necrons are great for me! (I also like the fluff for them...and the direction they seem to be going in)

I would suggest that you stick to warriors and destroyers though. I kept away from all the metal because A) I dont like the models and B) I figured they would be replaced.

As far as being competitive. Dont let everyone fool you. They can be competitive. I have placed top 10 in the last two tournaments with 50+ people. I could have done better in both but I made a couple of bad decisions.

I should mention that I placed top 10 WITHOUT using C'tan or a monolith.

Hasan ibn Sabbah
25-03-2010, 19:12
Go for it, I have 2 already (we had in Poland repacked battleboxes with 1 extra Destroyer for same price). Even with new codex on horizonth, I belive that warriors and destroyers still will be great choice for core of the list. Grab them while the're cheap :D

LonelyPath
25-03-2010, 19:20
If you don't mind waiting until the next codex (eventually) comes out, then I'd say go out and grab a battleforce or 2. Wonderful models to look at and paint. Plus, when the next codex is released you know they'll be repackaged and bacome more expensive. I don't play Necrons, but do fight them now and then and find them a very weak army. Heck, even my Grey Knights and DA walk right over them, lol.

Wolf 11x
27-03-2010, 03:38
I've gotten a deal on Battleforces. 2 for $132. That's simply too good to pass up.

I'm going to run something like this:

Lord
8 Immortals
3 x 10 Warriors
2 x 3 Destroyers
4 Scarabs
Monolith

I'll have 58 warriors. 16 of those will be converted into 8 Immortals by combining their Gauss Flayers and some green-stuffed shoulder pads. I've already found multiple guides online. :) That means I'd still have 42 regular warriors.

Total, I'll pay slightly under $224 for a 1500+ point army. I'm thinking I can get some credit at my local retailer if I trade in a sealed Rhino & Multi-Melta blister towards the Lord & Monolith. I'm also selling an old Tactical squad to a buddy for $22. Codex anyone? :D

Thoughts?

hoppy781
27-03-2010, 07:44
youll need a codex if you wanna start playing crons right away unless you want to wait a year for the new 1 ive been playing them for around 5 years and they keep saying their getting a new codex next year. every year -.-
hopefully it is acctually coming out next year lol

Lord Kalhadron
27-03-2010, 08:01
Donīt be suprised if at least one of those three units are made obsolete in the new book however, if you want to play competative

primarch16
27-03-2010, 11:26
I find it unlikely that they will be doing a new plastic set for any of the models in the starting kit, or the monolith. Might get a new sprue cut though.

Wolf 11x
27-03-2010, 13:13
We'll see. No reason not to play it now and it's a very cheap investment.

Red Beard
27-03-2010, 17:44
Congrats! Have fun...let us know how you like them. ;)

Wolf 11x
27-03-2010, 22:02
Made $22 on the Marines today plus credit for the Rhino & Multi-melta. :D

IcedAnimals
28-03-2010, 03:26
Donīt be suprised if at least one of those three units are made obsolete in the new book however, if you want to play competative

nah I doubt it.

Warriors will still be your troop choice.
Lord will still be your HQ.
Destroyers will still be worth taking unless they make wraiths absolutely insane. And if they do then you just use em as heavy destroyers for heavy support choice instead.
And immortals are supposedly going to get new models so to sell those models they will have nice rules.

I suppose the monolith could be nerfed into oblivion. And I do expect to see it changed. But it will still probably be a centerpiece to most necron armies. Its really the only one I can see not being worth taking as new heavy support choices could be added making it obsolete. though probably still worth taking a single one of just for its durability.

MajorWesJanson
28-03-2010, 03:43
My prediction for the FOC based on current rumors:
HQ:
Lord (different levels, different bodies. Very customizable)
Aspect of the Deciever (named Lord)
Aspect of the Nightbringer (named lord)
1-3 other named Lords (new metal models or no kit yet)

Elite:
Immortals- new plastic kit
Pariahs
Tomb Spyder- new plastic kit
new unit, metal unit
new unit, no kit yet

Troops:
Warriors
Flayed Ones

Fast Attack:
Wraiths
Destroyers
Scarab Swarms
new unit, no kit yet

Heavy support:
Monolith
Heavy Destroyers
New Walker (plastic kit)
Combat Tomb Spyder

MOMUS
28-03-2010, 07:38
I had never seen immortals/F.ones from warriors until i looked at this thread.

@ Majorwesjanson
Would you not have H.destroyers as an upgrade for destroyers, appearing in both FA and HS so as not to compete with other choices? While scarabs as no FOCS used fast attack, like chaos spawn? Its been awhile since i read the cron codex so cant remember if this is the case.

MajorWesJanson
28-03-2010, 07:48
@ Majorwesjanson
Would you not have H.destroyers as an upgrade for destroyers, appearing in both FA and HS so as not to compete with other choices? While scarabs as no FOCS used fast attack, like chaos spawn? Its been awhile since i read the cron codex so cant remember if this is the case.

I don;t play Necrons, but I do like trying to predict what GW will do, mainly model/sprue wise. So this is less a personal wishlist and more what I imagine GW will do.

That said, I can see GW letting a unit of destroyers upgrade one member to a heavy, and would put decent odds on either a Lord with Destroyer body or a special lord allowing destroyers as troops (either in general, or at a 1-1 ratio like Big Meks allow deff dreads to take troop slots)

TimLeeson
28-03-2010, 11:05
I sure hope flayed ones arent a troop choice. I prefer them as an elite. Scarabs would be a much better choice for a "second troop choice" IMO.

jesusjohn
28-03-2010, 19:51
i'd get them now and start playing.

Wolf 11x
29-03-2010, 00:42
That's the route I'm taking. :D I'm excited. I don't think the army is as underpowered as I had initially feared.

Captain_Trips01
29-03-2010, 02:11
I think now would be a good time to start if you like them. Personally, I'd hold off on that second battleforce, but if you've got the money, the time, and the motivation to assemble/paint it all then go for it.