PDA

View Full Version : Skaven vs WoC 2.5K

Idle Scholar
25-03-2010, 15:30
Right, it's been a while since I've posted a battle report but I've found a new gaming group and played my first game there.

first the Horde of Blackheart von Skittergraph

Warlord: Warlock Weapons, Distraction Shield, Pet Rat, War Litter
Chieftain: BSB, Clan Supremacy Banner, Shield, GW
Warlock: L1, Dispel Scroll, Musket
Plague Priest: L1, PC, Dispel Scroll, Pet Rat

25 Clanrats, Spears, Shields, Banner, Musician, WFT
25 Clanrats, Spears, Shields, Banner, Musician, Rattling Gun
25 Clanrats, Spears, Shields, Banner, Musician
25 Slaves, Musician
25 Slaves, Musician
3 Rat Swarms
3 Rat Swarms
10 Night Runners, Warp Grinder

6 Jezzails, Sharpshooter
3 Rat Ogres, Master Breed, Master Moulder
20 Plague Monks, Banner of Rats, Musician
7 PCB's, Champion

WLC
Doom Wheel

vs Archaon and his drinking buddies:

Archaon
Sorcerer: L2, 2 Dispel Scrolls
Exalted: Daemon Stead, Sword of Battle, BSB, Mark of Khorne, Collar of Khorne

8 Marauder Horse, Full Command, LA, Flails, Throwing Axes, Mark of Nurgle

7 Chaos Knights, Full Command, Mark of Tzeentch
6 Chaos Knights, Full Command, Mark of Nurgle

Warshrine

We set up the terrain in a mutually agreeable fashion and he had to deploy the first unit. I then won first turn.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss283/Idle_Scholar/Skaven%20vs%20WoC%202500/Deployment.gif (http://s584.photobucket.com/albums/ss283/Idle_Scholar/Skaven%20vs%20WoC%202500/?action=view&current=Deployment.gif)

Blackheart von Skittergramm fidgeted on his new palanquin and surveyed the field of battle. When his scouts had brought him word of the rapidly approaching man things he had hastily chosen this hilltop for its commanding view and deployed his horde around him. A chill wind idly flicked at tattered banners while a few fat drops of rain fell from the roiling black clouds above. In the distance the sound of wane horns signalled the man things awareness of Skittergramm’s mighty horde as they drew their horse into lines of battle. It was time. He nodded to his most able chieftain, Ruentail, who dipped the great clan banner in response. To the glorious ringing of bells the battle was joined.

The rat swarms, night runners and the wheel all rushed forwards while the rest of the army shuffled slightly. Magic had no effect in the entire game so I’ll skip it from now on. In shooting the cannon managed to hit three Nurgle knights with a strength two hit, killing one, while the Jezzails failed to wound the Warshrine. When it came to the wheel I’d forgotten that it ignored terrain for its shooting so the nearest target was the unfortunate Night Runners. I figured I might as well just kill them off and hope to get a few shots on the Marauder Horse in front of me so rolled anyway. Instead I misfired, and shot forwards again, impacting the Marauder Horse. They broke and fled and I overran into the Nurgle knights. Result *bsb*

In his turn he rallied the fleeing horse and set up to counter charge the wheel with Archaon’s knights, as well as beginning a flank manoeuvre on the left with the two untouched light horse units. In combat he broke and pursued the wheel but it got away!

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss283/Idle_Scholar/Skaven%20vs%20WoC%202500/Turn1.gif (http://s584.photobucket.com/albums/ss283/Idle_Scholar/Skaven%20vs%20WoC%202500/?action=view&current=Turn1.gif)

It promptly rallied in my turn so I turned it back to face the pursuing knights. There was a rules question here because it wasn’t stated if the wheel gets its shooting if it has rallied that turn? My opponent argued it shouldn’t as nothing else does and I let it go as I was winning anyway. Either way another hit by the cannon reduced the knights to three models while the leftmost Night Runners and Rat Swarms moved into handy march blocking positions in and around the woods.

In his turn he charged the wheel again, but spooked by the volume of fire in the centre moved Archaons knights and the Warshrine round to the left flank. He broke and destroyed the wheel but was unable to reach anything with the overrun, leaving his reduced unit in close range of my guns.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss283/Idle_Scholar/Skaven%20vs%20WoC%202500/Turn3.gif (http://s584.photobucket.com/albums/ss283/Idle_Scholar/Skaven%20vs%20WoC%202500/?action=view&current=Turn3.gif)

Shooting in my turn killed the Exalted BSB, and even though the cannon misfired it got a six and was fine! Truly the Horned One was watching that game.

In his turn he took the bait with his flanking Marauder Horse and charged the Swarms and night Runners, which just ended up sticking him deep in the woods. At this point he was so hacked off with loosing his units to shooting that he moved the remaining two knights (well wounded sorcerer and knight) in front of my guns and told me to shoot them down, but I elected to flank charge instead. We called it there, as the only combat the rest of his army was going to see was gunfire.

One of the skyre repeating guns fired a long burst after the retreating man things. On the hillside below Skittergramm could see a seething mass of fur and tails as his warriors swarmed over the few remaining steel clad knights, drowning them in their sheer weight of numbers. “A mighty victory of great one.” “Yes-yes, great warriors of the dark gods are no match-match for you oh lord” Skittergramm ignored the sycophantic fawning of his bodyguards. Twitching his nose he tasted the air and spat. The servants of the dark gods would be back, he could feel it.

So a victory, but the dice were on my side this time and a lot of it has to be down to the performance of the wheel and the cannon. Next week this army list will be facing another chaos one, though hopefully with a few more models this time.

Malorian
25-03-2010, 16:12
Archaon defeated in three turns by a bunch of rats... oh how the mighty have fallen...

;)

Thanks for the report.

Bedsheets
26-03-2010, 17:12
Wow that was a quick massacre. Liked the small fluff in the report.

Kevlar
26-03-2010, 23:52
Wow you didn't even have that much shooting. 39 models seems way too small for 2500 points.

Zaustus
27-03-2010, 05:46
I see 41 models, but still. That WoC list is awful, some very poor choices in there. Nurgle on horsemen? What a waste of points. An all-cav army with no hounds? He was begging to get shot up.

None of that detracts from you, though. Well played, and your list is nice and balanced.

Idle Scholar
02-04-2010, 17:53
And now for the re-match. Once again WoC took to the field and I played the same list as last time, though the Clan Supremacy banner was swapped for the Dripping Death.

The dark host of Chaos:

Chaos Lord, Daemon Blade, Collar of Khorne, Barded Steed, MoT
Exaulted BSB, Doom Totem, Shield
Sorcerer, L2, Power Familiar, MoS
Sorcerer, L2, MoS, Barded Steed

5 Warhounds
5 Warhounds
5 Marauder Horse, Shield, Spear, Throwing Axes, Full Command
20 Marauders, Shield, Light Armour, Full Command
14 Chaos Warriors, XHW, Full Command, MoS
14 Chaos Warriors, Shields, Full Command, MoS

6 Chaos Knights, Full Command, MoT, Blasted Standard

Giant, MoS
Hellcannon

Vs Blackheart von Skittergramm’s verminous horde:

Warlord: Warlock Weapons, Distraction Shield, Pet Rat, War Litter
Chieftain: BSB, Banner of Dripping Death, Shield, GW
Warlock: L1, Dispel Scroll, Musket
Plague Priest: L1, PC, Dispel Scroll

25 Clanrats, Spears, Shields, Banner, Musician, WFT
25 Clanrats, Spears, Shields, Banner, Musician
25 Slaves, Musician
25 Slaves, Musician
3 Rat Swarms
3 Rat Swarms
10 Night Runners, Warp Grinder

6 Jezzails, Sharpshooter
3 Rat Ogres, Master Bread, Master Moulder
20 Plague Monks, Banner of Rats, Musician
7 PCB's, Champion

WLC
Doom Wheel

We set up the terrain in a mutually agreeable fashion and deployed unit by unit. The Night Runners elected to tunnel (marked by the X) and unfortunately he won the first turn. I set the Skaven up in a loose deep formation, partially to help neuter the Hellcannon and partially to give me room to move once it was clear where his hammer units were going. Fortunately I’d been able to save the Swarms to deploy on the same flank as the Giant, as one thing I feared was a terror causing, rank breaking flanking unit.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss283/Idle_Scholar/Skaven%20vs%20WoC%202500%20No%202/0Deploymentcopy.gif

The wind whistled though Blackhearts fur. For weeks it had been their constant companion as they pushed further into the wastes. On the far side of the vale a silent host stood, silhouetted against the sky. Only a few stands of stunted trees clung to the valley floor between them and the mass of skaven.
Blackheart peered through the skyre seeing glass. The device borne on their dark banners was the same as that of the Horsemen they’d driven of before. The man things were back and they were back for vengeance.

He pushed forwards with everything, though to my surprise he didn’t try and flank with the Marauder horse or the Giant. He left one unit of Warriors at the back on the hill as they contained the BSB with the Doom Totom, presumably to match up with the panic causing Hellcannon. This proved to be a bit of a waste as the Clanrat regiments were all on LD10 from ranks and the Warlord.

Magic was a bust for both sides, as he failed to cast, miscast, or was dispelled or scrolled each turn. The only spell I got off was a miscast powered Warplightening on his Knights which was absorbed by their armour.

I was surprised when he declared that units on a hill could see over woods, but as it helped me more than him I agreed. His Hellcannon then targeted the Warlords unit but scattered and took out six Clanrats from the unit behind who then passed their panic.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss283/Idle_Scholar/Skaven%20vs%20WoC%202500%20No%202/1Chaoscopy.gif

The Doom Wheel went forwards a meagre 9”, and the Swarms and slaves raced onwards to set up traps and blockages. Most of the army started shuffling to the right and the Warlock Engineer left his unit of Clanrats and joined the Jezzails. To deal with the Hellcannon I sent the rightmost Rattling Gun on a commando mission through the trees.

The Doomwheel zapped three dogs, the cannon killed a knight and the Jezzailes took three wounds off the giant.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss283/Idle_Scholar/Skaven%20vs%20WoC%202500%20No%202/1Skavencopy.gif

He declared the unhurt dogs and the Marauder horse o the 1st unit of Swarms, and the other dog unit and the Knight unit at the Doomwheel. Unfortunately his Knights failed their fear check, this let the Wheel crush the dogs, though I passed my ld not to overrun (as I wanted to hit the Knights next turn) and blocked the Marauder horse letting the swarms break the other dog unit. His Hellcannon then missed and never hit anything again. The Knights failing to charge was a rotten piece of luck for him, as was the entirety of his magic phases and most of the shooting from the Hellcannon. But luck hadn’t entirely deserted him.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss283/Idle_Scholar/Skaven%20vs%20WoC%202500%20No%202/2Chaoscopy.gif

First the Night runners arrived, 2nd turn and right on target. Normally this would have been great with them at the rear of his army to harass and marchblock. Unfortunately the giant was standing next to them and they promptly failed their terror check and fled, never to rally. Then the Doomwheel, probably no more then 6” from the fearful Knights rolled a measly 4” on it’s random movement, and didn’t even have the good grace to misfire into them either.

Seeing an opportunity for the slaves to do some good I charged them into the marauders housing the mage on an assassination mission. Meanwhile the special forces Rattling Gun got into position on the right flank, and I tried to set up some sort of trap for whatever overran the Doomwheel.

In revenge for the Night Runners the WLC fired a dead on S8 hit on the giant, slaying it instantly. The XHW warriors lost a few dudes to the Doomwheel while the rest of the shooting was only able to drop a single Knight :0

In close combat the slaves put a wound on the sorcerer and took one back, then passed their panic test.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss283/Idle_Scholar/Skaven%20vs%20WoC%202500%20No%202/2Skavencopy.gif

This time both the nights and the Warriors charged the Wheel. The Marauder Horse charged the swarms and he finally decided to move the hill bound regiment of Warriors forwards, leaving just the BSB. Grinding killed two warriors and a Knight but then the Daemonsword predictably smashed the wheel. The Warriors overran into the slaves and the Knights stayed put. In the swarm combat the Horse crumble a base and put wounds on another.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss283/Idle_Scholar/Skaven%20vs%20WoC%202500%20No%202/3Chaoscopy.gif

Unfortunately I’d moved the PCB’s too close to the slaves so instead of flank charging the unit as it overran they were pulled in on the side where only two could fight. The rest of movement was just the usual shuffeling.

Everything opened up on the Knights, dropping another (this included the cannon, 5 Jezzails, the Warp Musket, WFT and a Rattling Gun!). By this point we should have been randomising some of the hits onto the far squishier Sorcerer but we forgot. Meanwhile the spec-ops Rattling Gun opens up and guns down the Chaos Dwarf crew of the Hellcannon :skull:

Combat sees the slaves and the marauders hold, and another swarm base go in exchange for a horse. Despite a fair bit of slaughter the slaves and the PCB’s hold on a double 1.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss283/Idle_Scholar/Skaven%20vs%20WoC%202500%20No%202/3Skavencopy.gif

He charges the Knights into the flank of the slaves on the right, doing it in such a way that the overrun will miss the trees and hit the plague monks behind. Damn. I kinda wish the slaves had gone the turn before, to deprive him of any viable targets.

The Hellcannon rampages harmlessly in the background and the rest of his forces plod on. In combat the slaves explode, (twice really, if you count the impact of the Knights) and the Knights overrun into the Plague Monks. The XHW Warriors slaughter and break the slaves and PCB’s and overrun to give a flank to the waiting Clanrat unit. The last swarm base crumbles.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss283/Idle_Scholar/Skaven%20vs%20WoC%202500%20No%202/4Chaoscopy.gif

I flank charge the Warriors and get the Rat Ogres ready to charge the Knights in the flank when they overrun. In retrospect this was a mistake. Shooting reduces the horse to a man and the cannon misses the lone BSB by less than an inch. The Jezzails drop a few warriors from the untouched unit and I set fire to a bunch of Marauders. In combat the XHW dudes break and get away. I challenge the Lord with the Priest and he accepts, smashing the priest with the Daemon sword and rolling terror on the EotG. The rest of the unit cause enough wounds to break the monks, who actually get away.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss283/Idle_Scholar/Skaven%20vs%20WoC%202500%20No%202/4Skavencopy.gif

At this point we had to go, with the final scores

Skaven ~970 pts
Woc ~ 740 pts

And a table quarter and a banner each.

Had the game gone on the key question would be what he did with his knights. If he charged the fleeing monks he’d go off the table, re-appearing only in time to be shot at at the end but guaranteeing the vp’s for the monks and probably not giving any more away. If he’d reformed to face the Rat Ogres I’d have been forced to charge due to frenzy, and lost the unit. Hopefully I’d be able to direct enough hits to the sorcerer to kill him though. If the monks rallied and the sorcerer died he’d be down points, but if the monks fled and the Ogres fluffed then he’d be ahead.
The Marauder unit was probably dead, but he could easily remove and hide the sorcerer in the woods. Shooting would probably finish off the depleted warriors unit, but if that failed they’d have some nice vulnerable targets to smash up. I feel I was slightly ahead in vp’s and in position, but nowhere near enough for a decisive call.

Some things to remember;

I need to learn to set up traps and re-directs better. If the slaves on the left hadn’t rolled a double 1 it’s probable that the warriors would overrun into charge range of the artillery.

Same with the Monks, I had a turn to get them out of the way but didn’t see the Knights coming.

The blasted standard doesn’t work in close combat. Not that relevant but some Daemon sword hits were saved that way.

The WLC is now awesome :D

The ground shook with the thunder of hooves as the heavy cavalry finally smashed into the skaven battle lines. Instantly the musk of fear was strong and only the chittering threats of the pawleaders kept the mass of skaven in line. Von Skittergramm looked around nervously, the knights were busy hacking apart the unfortunate Plague Monks but once they were done.. His beady eye caught sight of the monstrous rat Ogres, barely under control of their masters. “You, quick-quick to the moulder beasts. Time-time to be unleashed!” The runner scurried off into the gathering gloom. Von Skittergram turned his attention back the slaughter of the pestilent ones. With any luck the Ogres should buy enough time for a victorious reverse back to the safety of the slave carts.

Feefait
02-04-2010, 21:27
haha! nice. makes me want to play my rats again. sounds to me like you're doing fine with baits and traps. hehe rat bait and rat traps ftw... sorry.

Greymarch
03-04-2010, 14:46
Man, I can just picture a bunch of gutter runners coming out of a tunnel only to see a giant standing there. Heh heh.

halforkbarbarian
07-04-2010, 02:56
the warriors army was way to small and didn't seem 2.5k but he did had archon and about 600+pts of knights. but it sounded like a good game

Zoolander
07-04-2010, 21:03
Other than a few mistakes with the rules for the Doomwheel it was a great battle. Yeah learning to bait and trap is a real skill for skaven. I am still learning that myself! The second chaos list is much better!

Good job though!

shadow hunter
07-05-2010, 13:29
Sorry for reviving an old thread. In the second battle

and the other dog unit and the Knight unit at the Doomwheel. Unfortunately his Knights failed their fear check, this let the Wheel crush the dogs, though I passed my ld not to overrun (as I wanted to hit the Knights next turn)

I thought Warrior knights cause fear too? Or is the Doomwheel a terror causer? I cant remember. Also - when Failing fear test, i thought you still charge - but only strike on 6's? Or am I misremembering? I dont play often.

I have a Skaven v WoC battle tomorrow so just after some info. on warriors.

Seabo
07-05-2010, 17:40
Doomwheel causes terror IIRC.
And, if you fail a fear test to charge, you just sit there to scared to move. If the charged unit fails a fear check but has higher unit strength then the charger then he hits on 6's.
Nice battle :)

shadow hunter
07-05-2010, 19:14
Ahhh, thanks - that might come in handy tomorrow.