PDA

View Full Version : red planet?

skeletal
25-03-2010, 19:45
hi folks
not sure if this is the right place for me to post this but maybe you could help me out
i have a tau force and they are painted red and i thought it could be cool to kinda match there enviroment.
so i was gonna paint the sand on there bases red to have a kinda mars look to them
does anyone have any knowledge of there being red planets in the 40k universe and if so would there be any tau settlements?

Kage2020
25-03-2010, 20:12
I'm fairly sure that no one is going to argue with you if you want to insert a desert world or two into your interpretation of the 40k universe. Lots of iron in the stand, etc.

Kage

NightrawenII
25-03-2010, 20:22
I don't remember any other "red" planet than a Mars, but the Fal'shia FW are red.

Edit: Damn these stupid xenos names.:(

Kage2020
25-03-2010, 20:23
Hang on, isn't one of the worlds that the Eldar fight on in a story in WD127 a red dust/desert world?

Kage

Lord Damocles
26-03-2010, 09:37
Fire Orange: Fire Orange is excellent camoflage on desert worlds which have a strong orange minerl oxide base. It is quite a bright colour but blends in well in hot, sunny, fiery coloured terrain.

Apocalypse Red: Red is a very strong colour, but it works well on worlds with dark red iron oxide soils, red skies, and spectacular volcanic features which bathe the terrain with ruddy light.

'Armies of the Imperium: Imperial Guard Colour Schemes', in White Dwarf 143, pg.64

...Which would imply sufficient numbers of red worlds/theatres for the Guard to develop specific camoflage patterns.

Kaurava III from Dawn of War: Soulstorm is red-ish as well.

EldritchRaider
26-03-2010, 09:45
I say...make their bases whatever you want to make them. I understand wanting to match the enviornment- that's cool. There is obviously going to be some more high concentrated iron sand environments about the galaxy other than mars.

Sai-Lauren
26-03-2010, 11:05
Mercury's red as well IIRC.

Basically, the surface colour will depend on things like the minerals in the soil, the presence of liquids (especially water) and the composition of the atmosphere.

When a planet's formed and starts to cool from the molten state, the denser elements would tend to drop towards the centre - if it's a slow cooling world, there might be very small amounts of the elements above the first transition row in the upper crust, and the rest is much lower down.

A faster cool might freeze them in place - plus there's the effects of volcanoes, earthquakes and continental plate movement that can bring the heavier elements back to the surface.

So, with all that in mind, you should be able to somehow justify pretty much what ever you like :D - Iron Silicates, Sulphides and Oxides, Silicon Carbides and Nitrides, maybe some Halides, possibly even metal/organic molecules like Fe(CH3)2 if the atmosphere is thick enough for hydrocarbons to have remained.

Just don't go too wacky with the rarer and more volatile substances. ;)

The Judge
26-03-2010, 12:10
Just watch out that a red-armoured force on red bases might not look the best - bases tend to work well when they're a contrast to the main colours of the model.

SandQueen
26-03-2010, 16:24

This is the Namib desert, part of it at least. It covers the western edge of the southern horn of africa. The sand is an orange color due to its chemical composition.

There is little doubt in my mind that in the entire galaxy that there could be an entire planet covered in that

skeletal
29-03-2010, 20:20
all i can say is thanks very much guys
you have been alot of help
i was abit wary about there being to much red on the base and model but then snow models with snow camo look great so im just goin to roll with it

Bestaltan
29-03-2010, 21:19
Meh. Just say they're from Alabama. Freaking red clay.......

And anybody who has ever lived in Alabama should know what I'm talking about.

SandQueen
29-03-2010, 21:56
Meh. Just say they're from Alabama. Freaking red clay.......

And anybody who has ever lived in Alabama should know what I'm talking about.

Yes indeed. It is an absolute nightmare keeping ones cheer uniform clean sometimes. Sometimes highschool was really tough :p