PDA

View Full Version : Guard Doctrine

Cloudscape_online
24-05-2005, 06:38
I have thought of a possible new doctrine that would make some IG commanders smile.

Mobile Infantry

Any Standard Infantry unit that does not have a HW team or transport may instead take 1 suport sentinel, at its points cost. The Sentinel retains the ability to use extended coherency to its squad, and may be targeted separately to the rest of the squad when under fire from any Main weapon (S7+). This Doctrine may not be combined with Mechanised or Light infantry.

worldshatterer
24-05-2005, 11:34
seems a tad odd to me, how about allowing sentinel squadrons to be attached to guard infantry platoons?

Cloudscape_online
24-05-2005, 15:28
Actually, that *is* better. But the restriction should be that they can't choose sentinels as fast attack choices.

worldshatterer
24-05-2005, 18:36
i personally wouldn't like it that way . instead perhaps the doctrine should be limited to the lighter forms of imperial guard-ie light infantry and drop troops, to represent scouting forces and their fire support role during drop's .

Cloudscape_online
24-05-2005, 20:52
Yeah, but it could end up being a LOT of sentinels... calculating... 30 sentinels maximum, assuming you took all HQ Platoon Sentinels, All fast Attack Sentinels and then took as 6 minimum strength platoons. Admittedly that would be 2310 points taking nothing but bare minimum troops, hqs' and mutilasered Sentinels. It wouldn't be able to be combined with mechanised (obviously), and the sentinels attached to platoons would have to lose their scouting ability, otherwise it would be too good. (Interesting shouldn't be beardy too.)

It would be practiaclly begging to be attached with Drop troops, which would actually make the prospect of hot-dropping guard into a combat zone a really viable option, and a nice alternative to Tanks.

The other way of making this doctrine work is to allow Sentinel Squads to be taken as Support choices, which may work easier in some ways and would still allow you to lend their firepower support to your infantry units. In this scenario, you would probably have to have at least 1 infantry unit for each sentinel squad taken in this way. You son't want Sentinels outnumbering your basic troops (beardy-cheesy).

worldshatterer
25-05-2005, 16:26
sentinels aren't good enough to make them worth taking up a heavy support slot . I'd personally love to do an army made of nothing but them, as a long range patrol group . Still think attatching them to platoons is the most resonable idea . the scope for abuse that you mention is laughable in comparison to all vyper saim-hann or deathwing, and i severely doubt anyone who knows much about the guard would call it cheese .