PDA

View Full Version : Movement Towards Enemy Fleeing a Charge

H33D
28-03-2010, 21:06
I have a question about something that came up in a game I played recently. I will try to be brief.

When you charge someone and they flee, the rulebook states that you move directly towards the fleeing unit just as if you were charging, but stop at your normal maximum movement.

My opponent Fled around terrain, as I was charging at an angle and we moved him directly from the center of my unit to the center of his. To charge, I would merely have had to move straight forward 10". Since he fled at this odd angle, it placed a wood directly in the path between the center of my unit, and the center of his unit in its position.

So now I can't charge him as he fled, but my opponent forces me to wheel instantly on the spot so I ran directly towards the wood. Am I not allowed to move my unit forward a bit first, and then wheel towards my opponent so as to avoid the wood and end up as close as possible?

Zaustus
29-03-2010, 04:22
It's very strange that you'd hit the wood and he wouldn't. I'm having a hard time envisioning such a situation, honestly.

However, should such a bizarre situation arise, you would still get to choose at what point in the charge you wheel, just as in a successful charge. BRB p.21, under "A Failed Charge." It says the unit moves "as if it were charging, but halts once it has covered its normal Move distance." When you charge, you get to decide when to make your one wheel.

H33D
29-03-2010, 07:17
I drew it out. I can see it being a somewhat rare situation.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=479&pictureid=2258

So do I have to wheel immediately and go into the woods due to the rulebook saying 'move directly towards the fleeing unit as though charging', or may i move straight and then wheel?

Zaustus
29-03-2010, 07:29
You move "as though charging," and when charging you can do your one wheel at any point in the charge. That means you can move forward, wheel, then move toward the enemy unit, and avoid moving into the woods.

Witchblade
29-03-2010, 17:11
If moving around the woods is faster, you are actually obliged to do so.

nub5
30-03-2010, 01:20
Actually it looks like you played this correctly. What you intended to do would be valid provide he didn't flee. However because he fled, you need to rotate you unit to line up the centers of the units and then move. The is the basis of people using skirmishing units to pull chargers into positions where the other calvary/infantry can flank charge the next turn.

Zaustus
30-03-2010, 01:40
Actually it looks like you played this correctly. What you intended to do would be valid provide he didn't flee. However because he fled, you need to rotate you unit to line up the centers of the units and then move. The is the basis of people using skirmishing units to pull chargers into positions where the other calvary/infantry can flank charge the next turn.

Can you give me a page number reference for this? I don't see any rule like this in the BRB. All I see is the section "A Failed Charge" on BRB p.21, which says something quite different, as stated in the posts above yours.