PDA

View Full Version : Chrace marches to war small local tourney 2250 HE

Lavieth
30-03-2010, 04:47
Hello All,

Thursday is the big night with my gaming group. Small grand prize to be won along with bragging rights. Standard army composition chart and nothing overly cheesy are the only big rules in place.

Since I am a massive fan of theme armies I will be using a high elf army from chrace. Here is what I have and I will include some notes at the bottom. I don't have my book with me currently its in my locker at work, so correct as you see fit.

CHARACTERS

Prince
hand weapon
great weapon
heavy armour
shield
vambrances of defence
white lion cloak (mask of the merlord)
Total: 236 pts

Noble
bsb
hand weapon
sword of might
heavy armour
shield
helm of fortune
Total: 156 pts

Mage
extra level
fing of fury
Total: 175 pts

Mage
extra level
the tricksters pendant
dispel scroll
Total: 185

CORE

10 Archers
long bow
Total: 110 pts

20 Spearmen
spear
light armour
shield
full command
Banner of Ellryion

Total: 220 pts

SPECIAL

19 White Lions
hand weapon
great weapon
heavy armour
white lion cloak
full command
banner of arcane protection
Total: 340 pts

Lion Chariot of Chrace
hand weapon
great weapon
Total: 140 pts

Lion Chariot of Chrace
hand weapon
great weapon
Total: 140 pts

7 Scouts of Chrace (Shadow Warriors)
hand weapon
long bow
light armour
Shadow Walker
Total: 124 pts

7 Scouts of Chrace (Shadow Warriors)
hand weapon
long bow
light armour
Shadow Walker
Total: 124 pts

Great Eagle
vicious talons
Total: 50 pts

Great Eagle
vicious talons
Total: 50 pts

Repeater Bolt Thrower
hand weapon
light armour
Total: 100 pts

Repeater Bolt Thrower
hand weapon
light armour
Total: 100 pts

Total: 2250

Ok note time!

I decided that one unit of White lions would be sufficient because there are a fair bit of other hard hitting elements in my force and they are capable of holding a charge as well as giving one thanks to asf. The prince will reside in this unit and it will be 6*3 in formation for maximum damage potential.

Spears because they are a strong staple unit in a high elf army and will be a decent anvil unit. Holding so hopefully a lion chariot can hit teh flank or rear of a unit they are engaged in. The Banner is simply for thematic purposes and a fun surprise for my opponents to figure out (there will be one wood elf player). The noble will hang ten in this unit to provide the additional CC support they would need to win combat as well as giving them boosted ld and the extra CR point from the banner. I would like them to be in 7*3 formation to give maximum damage potential but unsure of the larger facing.

Shadow Warriors are to act as body guards for my mages. Shadow Walker is just in case i get careless and they are charged by someone who can challenge. Also with the ability to move through cover care of scouts should help out a lot.

Lion Chariots are hopefully unless they are blown to smithereens are to be my flankers. They hit hard enough that they should be able to swing the tide of any combat they get involved in or even hit some smaller knight units for the fun of it!

Great Eagles are to do 2 things, be a distraction and hunt war machines to ensure the survival of the Lion Chariots.

Archers and RBT are my standard missile units. Meant to destroy small light cavalry soften up high priority units etc.

So rip it apart and let me know your feelings about it?

Armies I shall face that I know for sure are Empire, O&G, Druchii, Asrai, Deamons, and Vamps.

Trains_Get_Robbed
30-03-2010, 05:52
As a fellow H.E player, I believe you should cut the BoA and give the W.L -psych has no effect banner to you or your opponet (take that B.G), and give your spears immune to terror and fear. This would essential gurantee your your staying power against fear causers (ld 10 great until you lose a round of combat by one and flee from "juiced" zombies, seen it too many times).

Also the Chrace walkers seem pointless to me, they will just be free points to your opponet if met in C.C and most likley won't protect your mages -having two LvL 2's isn't going to get anything through espically lacking a BoS- in the "heat of battle." You have two eagles already, both are filling the same roles as the Chrace-Walkers, except that eagles are better and cheaper. This frees up points for you to add the expensive banner like giving the Noble the War Banner (too cheesy?) or just filling your line with more troops!

Your magic seems okish maybe with the extra points give RoF LvL 2 the Silver Wand and instead of the Tricksters Pendant (they are miscasting anyways, most results are crap and making them reroll twice isn't all that game-breaking, too situtaional. Plus spending points on somthing that won't most likley happen even if your enemies weren't running chessed out lists seems pointless) thus, spending those points on the Seerstaff lets adjust your magic phase to suit your needs a bit more.

I like the idea of running the W.L 6 wide with the Prince, leaving extra guys in a 4th rank guranteeing you at least +2 ranks in combat.

Overall:

Modification 1:

Change the Tricksters Pendant to Seer Staff, cut out the Chrace-Walkers, change BoA to immune to psych and Ellyrion banner to Lion Standard and lastly give your Noble the Battle Banner. Use extra points to beef up single W.L unit.

Modification 2:

However this being said if you don't like the idea of bringing the B.B on the BSB I would cut the BSB on him and give him a G.W, H.A and Radian Gem of Hoeth and create a 2nd unit of W.L! get 13, again run it 6 wide get F.C and you will have two extra W.L in a 3rd rank in case of casualities. Give this unit the immune to psych banner (Banner of Balance is it?) and let your prince's unit ride naked with no banner (running on ld 10, even from tricked out zombies isn't as big a deal of you have a 2nd unit of Lions! :D). Meanwhile the Noble casts Drain Magic or Shield of Saph. every turn on his unit giving Lions a +5 Ward save and making them a better tar pit until your chariots charge. (5 D.D, a D.S and +1 to dispells makes you golden against non-magic armies or chesse. Maybe a Staff of Sorcery and a Silver Wand on the one mage instead of RoF if your worried about Magic -you shouldn't be not cheese right? :)

This leaves the question, "Where would your mages go?" I know most people like to bunker them, I don't, however for some reason the enemy can never kill mine (its because I'm the next Patton ;)). This being said I would put one in the spears unit (the one with Ring and Silver wand) ideally the mage would cast S.S in Spears and other spells on Archers and RBT nearby make the unit 19 spears if you do this obviously, but this goes without saying.

Changing your Prince to this would also him about the same but cheaper by a small amount (+3 AS can be wiped out eaier than a +2):

Prince
Hand Weapon
Great Weapon
Helm of Fortune
Heavy Armor
Enchanted Shield
Guardian Phoniex

228 6 points cheaper with re-rollable a +2 AS and 5+ Ward instead of a re-rollable +3 AS +4 Ward Save.

If you can cut around 50 points some where (an eagle? maybe some troops or a RBT or something) you might want to consider the Amulet of Light in a unit to kill ethereal units (V.C. DoC, W.E?), Mask of the Merlord (if you still want it?) and Talisman of Loec. Either way I would trick out the hero a bit more, not too chessy though.

Tried sticking to your theme, had some other thoughts but this is all for now.

Good Luck!

Edit: *Hey just thought of this!!! Now you can afford to have your Spearmen take the Ellyrion Banner and give the Lion Banner to the Princes unit! Keeps your Lion Units beefed up and Spearmen movng through woods! I really should be in bed. :rolleyes:

D'Haran
30-03-2010, 18:53
Trans knows where it's at, though a bit too long winded.

Off hand I'd say your prince build is off, he doesn't need all that gear kicking around. Strip the v of defense from him as his armour save isn't good enough to warrant the reroll, he'd do better with the armour of caledor and guardian phoenix with a gw. This would save over 20pts and be just as survivable.

Build on bsb is also off, the golden helm doesn't do enough with the poor armour he has, the golden shield would do much more for him still allowing him to take the sword of might. Plus it is also a nasty surprise for enemies trying to pick him off in combat. Remember shield + magic weapon doesn't give you an extra +1 armour in combat, so mounting him with any extra points should be a priority.

Ring of Fury probably isn't worth it with only 2 mages, unless you fit the BoS in somewhere. You have to work out the enemies DD to use it and I don't think your list has that ability. Better to do as Trans suggested with your mage build if you don't take BoS. But whatever you do loose the trickster, it's really crap, if you want an especially nasty trick take the ring of corin and save it for after you work out the DD and scrolls, it'll totally take the enemy by surprise and you can rape his lord choice after nuking his best item.

Other than that it's a pretty solid list, though you probably would benefit from taking a second unit of WL and dropping a unit of shadow warriors, you've basically sunk over 200 pts that will do nothing in the hope of keeping your mages alive and in the back. I believe you can do better than this, though it is important to keep them alive. Perhaps a single unit of 10 could house them both, or put one with your archers for the short term at least.

2 Eagles might be overdoing it, you'd be better off dropping one and spending the points on your second unit of WL. 2 units of 14 or so will be more effective than 1 of 19, so u can re balance it out, besides wood elves hate WL with a passion.