PDA

View Full Version : Campaign idea

Drakcore Bloodtear
30-03-2010, 19:35
Before I begin, the majority of LotR players in my local club either don't have a big or painted army. To counter that i started a campaign but there are some problems.

The biginning starts with battle company's (I've already started that and it in nearing the end) I'm hoping to expanded that, with no problems on to SBG using a chosen hero as a captain to their armys.
Now here's the problem, as I'm not a WotR player. Will this format, of made up characters (Along side named heroes) work if converted in WotR?

ForgottenLore
31-03-2010, 00:11
I'm not sure I understand your question.

Deakor
31-03-2010, 13:04
If I understand the question correctly, I think you are asking if it will be possible for you all to use your "created" characters/captains in games of WoTR. Assuming I've interpreted your question properly, I'll take a stab at answering it.

Most formations in WoTR include an option for (a) leadership model(s) - commonly a captain of some sort, a musician, and a banner bearer. You all could certainly use your "created" captain as a command model for a formation, though they would not have any special abilities other than what a normal command model would bring to the table.

You can also proxy for your characters (if you all agree, of course - it is, after all, your and your friends' game)- say for example you had a ranger type hero/captain and wanted to include the Grey Company in your WoTR army. You could simply include it and have your ranger captain "count as" Halbarad - provided of course he looks as cool as Halbarad does. ;-)

So, in short, yes, you could work your created captains into WoTR - there's no rule saying you can't name your formation captains if you wish and I think it adds a nice bit of color to the game if you choose to.

hope this helps.

Whitwort Stormbringer
01-04-2010, 05:54
I don't have any direct experience with WotR, so keep that in mind while reading my response.

That said, I think one of the best things about the LotR games is that the rules are well balanced and you can make up your own stuff knowing that it will be relatively fair in a game. So if you guys start out with Battle Companies, and intend to advance your heroes from that into command figures in WotR, it seems like you should be able to either approximate their abilities relatively well, or borrow from other comparable characters when assigning their abilities.

So, given that, I would simply say that your best route is to play out the beginning Battle Companies portion of the campaign, see where everyone's hero stands, and figure out what the most balanced (and comparable) WotR ability is going to be for that character.

Drakcore Bloodtear
01-04-2010, 17:00
Sorry for the confusing question
So i'll give you an example:
if in Battle company's a hero got 2Might 1Will and 2Fate can those still be used in WotR?
It's just whether all the rules and abilities and co-inside with both SBG and WotR?

Ambience 327
01-04-2010, 17:56
No, the rules and abilities do not directly correlate between LotR and WotR. Might appears in both, but is used in subtly different ways and has different values. Will and Fate do not appear as points, but the general idea of what they accomplish is dealt with in other ways. You will not simply be able to drop your home-grown heroes' statlines and abilities into WotR - the games are different enough that it won't work.

Deakor
01-04-2010, 18:00
There won't be a direct translation of stats from SBG to WoTR, no.

Take a look at the WoTR rulebook if you get a chance and go to the unit entry for the type of captain you are thinking of (e.g. a Rohan captain). You can look at the unit profile in the book and see the cost of adding the captain and what he adds to the formation.

WoTR is focused on compaines (8 models for infantry, 2 for cavalry) organized into formations (1+ companies). Only monsters, epic heroes (like Aragorn, Saruman, etc.) or single model legendary formations (like Glorfindel) can be bought separately from or move independently of a formation.