PDA

View Full Version : The Araby pdf

vinny t
31-03-2010, 03:09
Has anyone seen how good the Araby fan-made armybook is? It's amazing!! I was just wondering, is this list going to be allowed at tournaments like the Indy GT, where I believe the fan-made Chaos Dwarved were played?

The link to the pdf is: http://www.4shared.com/file/126969860/6f659bc8/Warhammer_Armies_-_Araby.html

Memnos
31-03-2010, 08:55
I love that list. If there were a tournament out there that allowed that fan-made list, I would finish my Araby army in a second.

I'd be interested to find any which allow that list. I love the Lord of the Rings models and would love to use the Araby models to represent something, since I love the Mumakil, the Abrakhan Guard and such, but there's no single army that effectively represents it.

Arkfatalis
31-03-2010, 16:54
I like the list, it just seems that some of the heroes are a bit over powered.

Gaargod
31-03-2010, 17:50
Doubt it.

The reason chaos dwarfs were allowed was because they were made by exGW workers, who had previously done stuff on army lists. They are also rather, deliberately, underpowered (somewhere on low-middle tier) to make sure no one complained on skill level. Finally the play-testing that the army went through was insane (just look on the forum that it was reported on).

Don't get me wrong - i just downloaded it and am having a look through, and my beginning impressions are excellent. But even so, i suspect it will take more than looking very pretty to be valid army.

Now... if there was a fan-made armylist tournament available (or one which looked favourably on them), i suspect this one probably could get in.

Feefait
31-03-2010, 18:25
DOubt it'll ever be 'legal' but it's cool nonetheless. If I hadn't just started a beast army I'd do this in a heartbeat.

Sygerrik
31-03-2010, 18:39
I would adjust some of the points values upward slightly, but other than that seems amazing. I found it a bit weird that there are references to Aladdin (the Disney movie, not the character from Scheherazade) alongside references to Assassin's Creed and real 9th-11th century caliphs. It's a bit more overt than most of GW's "nod nod, wink wink" real world references.

Tae
31-03-2010, 19:04
Some things need small price increases (Bowmen etc.) some need large price increases (Elephants). Some things need ability reductions (the 'wardancer' equivilents (can't remember names) combat abilities are FAR too good).

But overall I like it. Much of it is clearly borrowed from the other GW Army Books, but they're all good ideas and I think it works well.

But no, not tournament legal in any way shape or form.

Sygerrik
31-03-2010, 21:45
Some things need small price increases (Bowmen etc.) some need large price increases (Elephants). Some things need ability reductions (the 'wardancer' equivilents (can't remember names) combat abilities are FAR too good).

But overall I like it. Much of it is clearly borrowed from the other GW Army Books, but they're all good ideas and I think it works well.

But no, not tournament legal in any way shape or form.

Yeah, all of her abilities need to have one effect, not two: just KB instead of KB and +1 to hit, etc. Too many infantry things have S4. Points costs on basic guys needs to go up by 1 each. Elephant should be 200. Onager's special ammo should be Flaming and be an optional buy (like Skulls of the Foe). Carpet Riders should be BS 3 and 25 points each. Siphon should be removed entirely. Spells for Genies are a cool idea but way too complex, and makes Genies too good-- drop 'em. Vizier +10 points. Grand Vizier +30 points (maybe 25).

Magic items: This area needs the most work. Sword of Salah ad-Din should be 80 to prevent combining it with too many other items. Blade of Holy Wrath should confer regular hatred instead of constant rerolls. Solar Spear should lose the +1 to hit entirely. Shield of Faith should confer no ward save and instead trigger on a passed armor save. Drop Talismanic Tattoo entirely, if you really want to keep it make it an upgrade, not a magic item. Lose the Golden Carafe entirely. Way too powerful an item.

Orb of Illusion is too powerful; make it a simple ward save, 5+. Dagger of the Grand Master should be 25 points.

Those are my first impression fixes. Overall, a good start, but needs work to be ready for tournaments.

Last Edition
31-03-2010, 23:25
Doubt it.

The reason chaos dwarfs were allowed was because they were made by exGW workers, who had previously done stuff on army lists.

Thats not entirely true. The author of Dwarfs of Chaos has never been a GW employer, he has only written some stuff for citadel journal as a "free-lancer" (I don't know if they got payed for being published as Citadel Journal was not official rules). I used to play Kevin's Dark Elf City Garrison list and thought is was great, same goes for the new Dwarfs of Chaos.

As for "tricking" (their own words) the DoC army book into the GT, was a drunken promise the organizers of the GT made to two persons responsible for the Dwarf of Chaos book.

On topic: I think the Araby army list in this thread is ace. Off course it has a couple of small issues, but which list doesn't? GW or not...

cornixt
31-03-2010, 23:36
Too many characters, too many core units, a bit too close to the real world in the fluff. A good first draft though, just needs tweaking.

Deon
31-03-2010, 23:53
Yeah it looks really good,
but some units need a small price increase,
some of the characters are a bit too obvious,
and i would change some of the core to the special slot like the camel riders
and the naffatun imo
But all in all very good

M4cR1II3n
01-04-2010, 15:37
Hi, as the writer of the Araby list I must say I'm glad to hear most of you seems to like it, and I thank you for your feedback. I am currently going through the list, and I will make a lot of changes accordingly, so it will be as balanced as it can be in the end :)

Rogue
01-04-2010, 15:59
It is an interesting little book. I would much rather have this out than something like the frogman done as a new armybook.