doom wolf

15 Ghouls
ghast

19 Grave guard
full command

11 Black Knights(x2)
full command

DoW Cannon

I'm thinking to hell with magic and relying on the fact that I hit hard to carry the day. What do you think?

ROCKY
14-02-2006, 18:05
you cannot wear armor and use magic at the same time. plus I would rather take a count and being a blood dragon I would focus on physical rather than magical. also take a white lord, and 2 necromancers with scrolls.

S0ule55
14-02-2006, 19:06
um, a vampire can where armor and use magic too...otherwise why would they get it automatically.
the list looks ok, but the skeletons will be outpaced by the knights, and you have enough hitting power between the knights and the grave guard. why not spend the points from the skeleton unit on more wolves, they're fast enough to keep up, and they can bust ranks when you need them to. run them in packs of 5-7, that way they're maneuverable enough to get to where you need them to be. 2-3 pack of them run this way become a major threat that need to be taken care of. plus they're fast enough to stay out of sight, so they're not going to get blasted with shooting and magic.

fubukii
14-02-2006, 19:06
Blood dragons can wear armor and cast normally it is on of their rules.

ROCKY
14-02-2006, 20:59
:confused: oh they can?. is there a page number that indicates that vampires (blood dragons) can cast whilst wearing armor?:eyebrows:

Keller
14-02-2006, 21:16
:confused: oh they can?. is there a page number that indicates that vampires (blood dragons) can cast whilst wearing armor?:eyebrows:

Blood line explainations, pg. 52 of the VC book.

As for the list...

The Doomwolf isn't really worth it. They're not all bad, since the extra attack can help, but generally its better to just buy another model for the cost. The same goes for the Ghast.

And the cannon.... All I have to say is that I hope you do some nice conversions.

ROCKY
14-02-2006, 21:19
:D I see it. Thanks.:skull:

GigFrostGunz
17-02-2006, 14:32
plus I would rather take a count and being a blood dragon I would focus on physical rather than magical. also take a white lord, and 2 necromancers with scrolls.

Focus on physical rather than magical and you want me to waste points on necromancers?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry...... I took my heroes with their COMBAT!!! abilities in mind I refuse to spend 130 pts. for a damn scroll. That's why I upgraded the lord so I can have four dispell dice. Lords out close combat counts and have better stats and the count can only be level 2.Please think before you write. What is a "white" lord? That's not in my VC book.

GigFrostGunz
17-02-2006, 14:35
the list looks ok, but the skeletons will be outpaced by the knights, and you have enough hitting power between the knights and the grave guard. why not spend the points from the skeleton unit on more wolves, they're fast enough to keep up, and they can bust ranks when you need them to. run them in packs of 5-7, that way they're maneuverable enough to get to where you need them to be. 2-3 pack of them run this way become a major threat that need to be taken care of. plus they're fast enough to stay out of sight, so they're not going to get blasted with shooting and magic.

The skeletons are there to absorb charges and if my opponent loses his mind I can replenish my ranks as I lose them

sephiroth87
17-02-2006, 15:30
Focus on physical rather than magical and you want me to waste points on necromancers?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry...... I took my heroes with their COMBAT!!! abilities in mind I refuse to spend 130 pts. for a damn scroll. That's why I upgraded the lord so I can have four dispell dice. Lords out close combat counts and have better stats and the count can only be level 2.Please think before you write. What is a "white" lord? That's not in my VC book.

If you're in the anal-retentive habit of correcting spelling errors, spell "dispel" correctly. Otherwise, everyone (including me) will think you're an idiot. The next time you post a list, be ready for constructive criticism. If you feel defensive about your army, don't post it here. Wight Lords are in the book. You know it. Don't be an arrogant smartass.

My thoughts: your army is slowed down by both the grave guard and the skeletons. As long as most of your army is fast, the skeletons and grave guard will be quickly put out of the general's leadership radius, which means that they shuffle at an agonizingly slow 4'' a turn. Or alternately, you'll have to slow down for a few turns to let them march. Either way, your army isn't working as effectively as it could. The person above who recommended multiple small units of wolves has a point. They're reasonably cheap and can negate ranks while your black knights act as the main punch. And multiple small units means that they can maneuver around and hit from the sides and rear.

The same goes for the earlier advice on the Doomwolf and the Ghast. They're not worth the extra attack that you get.

And as for the skeletons replenishing ranks, you're going to be able to cast invocation of Nehek only once a turn, with only one spell caster. Not only that, you only have four power dice every turn, because of the Blood Dragon limitations on spellcasting. Unless you get very lucky, you'll never get off a single invocation spell. If you're wanting to ignore the magic phase, ignore it entirely and depend on your combat abilities to get you through. Don't half-ass it. Most of your stuff isn't replenishable anyway, so you really don't need a lot of magic power.

And if you really don't need magic, then you don't need the vampire lord. He costs 80 more points than a count. What do you get? A few extra stat bumps. and an extra wound. The extra magic level, of course, costs you an EXTRA 50 points. And as for hand to hand combat, the Lord is 1 better on his weapon skill than the Count. However, what will both of them likely be hitting on? Threes. No difference. Very few enemy units even get close to a weapon skill 7. You've sunk 130 extra points (The Lord and the magic level) into something that you likely won't see a return on. Ironically enough, you were bitching about spending 130 points on a "damn scroll," which is what you're essentially doing with the Vampire Lord upgrade. You have an 18 inch charge with most of your units, so they don't need a lot of magic protection to get across the field.

But that's just me and you probably already know all this....

ROCKY
17-02-2006, 17:53
The reason for necromancers is so they can regenerate your army! plus I meant wight lord! sorry if it made you think that I am a racist cracker! and you WOULD be surprised at how a "damn" scroll would save your "sorry" @$$ compared to the mere "oh wow" four dispell dice! plus I believe the thrall to be a waste of points sure he has 1S over the "wight" lord but 2less leadership and does not have the killing blow! and yes necromancers can "fit" in a physical army if he fulfills his role as a caddy! God I need coffee!