PDA

View Full Version : Is The Enchanted Shield Armor?

ColShaw
01-04-2010, 17:42
The title says it all. I've always assumed that the Enchanted Shield takes up the "magic armor" slot of a character's magic item allowance, but I've now seen several lists on this forum which have both the ES and some other type of armor. Anyone have a definitive answer on this?

Malorian
01-04-2010, 17:43
Those list are wrong, it does count as magical armor.

Ultimate Life Form
01-04-2010, 17:45
It is armor, as is clearly defined by the BRB. You shouldn't believe everything you read here. :p

Malorian
01-04-2010, 17:46
You shouldn't believe everything you read here. :p

Unless Ultimate Life Form or I write it... then it's cool :cool:

Ultimate Life Form
01-04-2010, 17:47
Unless Ultimate Life Form or I write it... then it's cool :cool:

Second that. As long as we both uphold that statement, it is irrefutable. :D

Isha blessed
01-04-2010, 18:02
maybe they are older lists?

KalEf
01-04-2010, 18:06
In the previous edition, the main rule book said it could be combined with magic and mundane armor. I donít believe it was the writerís intent to have it not count for the magic armor slot, but there wasnít really any non-magic-item magic armor to combine it with. With that in mind, the ruling for a lot of areas was to have it not count toward your magic armor allotment. In 6th edition

Malorian
01-04-2010, 19:36
In the previous edition, the main rule book said it could be combined with magic and mundane armor.

I'll have to check my old book but I don't believe that is the case. As I remember it the rules only said you could combine it with mundane armor (yet still people had silly qestions like can you have it AND a regular shield :rolleyes:).

Atrahasis
01-04-2010, 19:38
KalEf is correct, in 6th you could take the EShield with other Magic Armour.

Gaargod
01-04-2010, 19:42
Unfortunately, something of a throwback. Like the -2+ rerollable armour save Oldblood.

Fun times.

Zaustus
01-04-2010, 23:43
I've now seen several lists on this forum which have both the ES and some other type of armor.

As other have (correctly) answered, yes, the Enchanted Shield is magic armor. Thus it cannot be combined with other magic armor (unlike in 6th edition). I assume that's what your question was about, but I did want to clarify that the ES can be combined with mundane armor (e.g. light armor, heavy armor, full plate, gromril or chaos armor).

Heimagoblin
02-04-2010, 09:55
Am I right in thinking you can tecnically buy an enchanted shield and a normal shield but if you do buy an enchanted shield you technically can't use chaos armour/full plate/heavy/light armour?

Atrahasis
02-04-2010, 10:43
No .

L192837465
02-04-2010, 14:46
No .

FANtastic response. Is that "no" in response to someone asking you if you're intelligent? Awesome.

The ES is magical armour, but is also a shield. Therefore you cannot take it AND a mundane shield. You can combine it with any other non magical armour. Done.

FLUEVOG
02-04-2010, 14:52
In Atrahisis' defense, that was a pretty silly question.

Also note that the General FAQ (v 1.0) states that heroes with the Enchanted Shield can also benefit from the +1 handweapon/shield bonus if they carry a mundane handweapon. Using a magical handweapon, of course, negates this.

Davo
02-04-2010, 15:02
Ok, at the risk of asking another stupid question, I just like to be sure I shall put forward the following -

Can a Wargor combine Enchanted Shield, Gnarled Hide, Heavy Armour and a mundane hand weapon to give him a 1+ save (0+) in close combat?

I guess the crux of the question is can he combine his Enchanted Shield with a gift that gives an armour save, I am fairly sure he can but as I said best to be sure if there is doubt.

darkstar
02-04-2010, 15:12
"Can a Wargor combine Enchanted Shield, Gnarled Hide, Heavy Armour and a mundane hand weapon to give him a 1+ save (0+) in close combat?"

Yes he can, as gnarled hide is not "magic armour" and therefore does not conflict with the rule preventing taking multiple magic armour items. In fact, it is specifically mentioned that gifts are not magic items

Yellow Commissar
02-04-2010, 16:23
FANtastic response. Is that "no" in response to someone asking you if you're intelligent? Awesome.

Watch out for tattling! :rolleyes:

Makaber
03-04-2010, 01:21
Somewhat related ... The Orcs and Goblins army book states that "the battle standard bearer cannot choose any non-magical equipment except for light and heavy armour as appropriate". Can an Orc Battle Standard Bearer chose an Enchanted Shield, or is he barred from doing so under the "can only take Magic Items which are magical versions of mundane items normally available" clause that plagued army books a couple of years back?

rtunian
03-04-2010, 03:54
o&g book is one that only specifies light and heavy armor. others allow shield. you cannot take a magical item unless you can take the mundane type, so, since o&g bsb's do not have permission to take shields, they cannot take enchanted shield

Condottiere
03-04-2010, 07:17
This is a rules discussion, but there seems a break in before the High Elves book and after; the BSB restrictions seem outmoded.

Lord Zarkov
03-04-2010, 16:34
In Atrahisis' defense, that was a pretty silly question.

Also note that the General FAQ (v 1.0) states that heroes with the Enchanted Shield can also benefit from the +1 handweapon/shield bonus if they carry a mundane handweapon. Using a magical handweapon, of course, negates this.

Not quite true, a character using a magic 'hand weapon' (e.g. Dagger of Hotek, the DE whip magic weapon, the Bret sword that can be used as a 'hand weapon', etc) still gets the +1 HW/Shield bonus if fighting on foot. It's just that most magic weapons don't count as 'hand weapons' for rules purposes so can't claim the bonus.

FLUEVOG
07-04-2010, 15:06
If the rules specifically say Hand Weapon, then you are indeed correct Lord Zarkov.