PDA

View Full Version : Newb Questions: Turning an opponents tactics against them....

Your Mum Rang
14-02-2006, 16:15
Right. Lately my forays into WH have led me to devise an army list with "tactics" but I have been thinking, what if someone uses "tactics" on me! :o!!!!

For example if someone tired to sandpit your expensive unit or speed bunp it in order to get some flank charges in -how can I avoid it?

Basically this is a "how to escape from ...." thread.

Say I want to charge my opponent's unit and he has 2 "detatchments" beside it just waiting for the counter-charge. How can I neutralise this threat?

How do I dissolve an enemies flanking fast cavalry if I don' have any shooting or magic?

How do you counter an opponent's denied flank tactic? Especially if they have lots of missile weapons?

Essentially if anyone can drop a few tips/tricks on how to out-"tactic" your enemy then they'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

strv
14-02-2006, 16:58
What army do you use?
And how is you list composed?

I play goblins and have a pretty mixed force that could counter most scenarios you wrote about.
Hording battle lines, charging their fast cavalry with fast cavalry of you own(wolfes m9 :)),
Slaughter a denied flank with rocklobbers, or other artillery.

Major Defense
14-02-2006, 17:06
For example if someone tired to sandpit your expensive unit or speed bunp it in order to get some flank charges in -how can I avoid it?With cautious deployment? This question is a little too broad to have a cookie-cutter answer. A lot of it depends on the units involved.

Say I want to charge my opponent's unit and he has 2 "detatchments" beside it just waiting for the counter-charge. How can I neutralise this threat?Don't buy ranks (i.e.: cavalry) so you have less CR to lose and/or charge the detachments with other units so they can't counter-charge.

How do I dissolve an enemies flanking fast cavalry if I don' have any shooting or magic? Three words: skir...mish...ers. Ooh - or flyers!

How do you counter an opponent's denied flank tactic? Especially if they have lots of missile weapons?Again, a complex question but it would involve things like breaking their line or causing terror.

Essentially if anyone can drop a few tips/tricks on how to out-"tactic" your enemy then they'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks.This is not Listhammer but I play with good friends and I tend to try to outthink them at the planning stage. I consider many factors, like our last few games or any new models that someone is itching (or supposedly itching) to field. I try to envision what they would expect me to play, then guess what they would field against it, then finally I build an army to defeat that guessed list. It can gain further complexity as they learn what I'm doing and try to throw me off. Sometimes you can correctly guess when they're going to go for the odd, no-magic list and still end up with the perfect thing to defeat them.

I also tend to write up two or more lists and follow intuition about which to play. In deployment it should be obvious that you field the more generic units first, keeping them guessing about your characters and details like marks, spawnings and war machines. I suppose your question was more about tactics during gameplay but sometimes you might have already lost back when you were rolling up spells.