PDA

View Full Version : Eclectic Chaos Weirdos seek a suitable Army List

Ghachii
01-04-2010, 19:59
Hi!

I have 8 converted models comprising a random selection of mutants, traitor guardsmen, a cultist and a chaos space marine that I'm currently painting up in Tzeentch colours, after being largely absent from the hobby for many years.

Having never played a game before, I'm also very keen to finally become involved in this aspect of the hobby that I know so much about, yet have never experienced first hand.

With that in mind, I'd like some advice on how I can turn this eclectic collection of renegades into the core of my first true army. I'm wondering if it's even possible at all, given the wide range of equipment and weapons they're carrying. Here's a quick rundown:

Traitor Guardsman 1: Basic Cadian trooper with lasgun.

Traitor Guardsman 2: Cadian vox caster with lasgun.

Traitor Guardsman 3: Cadian trooper with lasgun, hand weapon and additional chainmail vest.

Traitor Guardsman 4: Cadian standard bearer with giant mutant claw (no lasgun).

Mutant 1: 2 hand weapons.

Mutant 2: Holstered pistol and staff.

Cultist: Hand weapon only.

Chaos Space Marine: Large sword and custom pistol (no specific type).

Is there any army list in which I could realistically field all these models? I'm guessing Imperial Guard, but has there been an unofficial or semi-official army list produced recently that covers the whole range of Chaos weirdness, similar to the Lost and the Damned list from back in the day?

Also, any thoughts on the type of army list I should/could go for?

Thanks!

enigma-96
01-04-2010, 20:03
Siege of Vraks from Forge World has 2 (I think myabe 3) Chaos Renegade lists that allow you to use both chaos guardsman and chaos marines in the same list.

Gaargod
01-04-2010, 20:15
At that scale, start looking into something like Necromunda. Allows you to field funky stuff, with a lot of detail.

If you actually wanted to build a full army, go with enigma-96's very good suggestion.

Hunger
01-04-2010, 20:20
Hmm, sounds like you have the beginnings of a LATD army there - I would start that off by getting hold of a Cadian Battleforce box set, which will give you 2 squads of Cadian troopers, a command squad and a sentinel. Thats a reasonable 500pt force to start gaming with.

You could use either the Chaos Renegade list from the Imperial Armour Siege Of Vraks, or the Lost And The Damned list from Codex: Eye Of Terror, although you might find it hard to get anybody to play you, so I would recommend getting a copy of the Imperial Guard codex too, just so you can make a completely-legal list as well.

In either of the above cases your Chaos Marine sounds like he would make a decent looking commander, your 'Cultist' could perhaps be used as either a Ministorum Priest of a Chaotic Apostate Preacher, and your mutants could perhaps be the start of a squad of Conscripts or, indeed, Mutants.

Ghachii
02-04-2010, 15:48
Thanks for the responses - I think an Imperial Guard list sounds best. With my chaos marine, standard bearer and vox caster, I've already got the makings of a command squad.

One question that relates to the mutants - am I right in thinking that in the current Guard codex, there is no way of fielding guardsmen armed only with melee weapons?

How am I going to arm the guy with pitchforks for hands?!

vladsimpaler
02-04-2010, 16:08
Thanks for the responses - I think an Imperial Guard list sounds best. With my chaos marine, standard bearer and vox caster, I've already got the makings of a command squad.

One question that relates to the mutants - am I right in thinking that in the current Guard codex, there is no way of fielding guardsmen armed only with melee weapons?

How am I going to arm the guy with pitchforks for hands?!

Your Chaos Marine can easily be counted as Iron Hand Straken, who has space Marine toughness and armor (T4 and 3+ save).

Not exactly sure how you are going to do the guys with pitchforks for hands however, unfortunately.

I would like to see pictures, though! :)

Ghachii
02-04-2010, 16:17
What about allied Witch Hunter units? Could any of those realistically represent Jonny Pitchfork-Hands?