PDA

View Full Version : The possible squatting of Chaos Dwarfs

selone
01-04-2010, 22:48
Hello folks, I bring you some news which might be slightly left of field for some. There's a new expansion for Blood bowl the computer game scheduled for end of this year. In it is all the remaining teams bar one from LRB 5- the Chaos dwarves.

The rumour is GW said no to them. Whether that's its because chaos dwarves are to be 'squatted' is up to speculation.

Any thoughts on this? AM I reading too much into this, is this confirmation of a long known fact or do some of you optimistic people still hold out hope?

Hello everybody,

About the number of races, there will be 20 races in Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition. The chaos dwarves will not be included.

Despite that I hope the 12 new races will fit some of your expectations.

Vince

Ultimate Life Form
01-04-2010, 23:02
Could this be another 1/4 joke?

rodmillard
01-04-2010, 23:05
Could just mean they have plans for them which would completely change the imagery of the race. *crosses fingers*

Urgat
01-04-2010, 23:07
Blood bowl (the videogame) uses the old imagery for almost everything, so it'd make no sense.

Grimstonefire
01-04-2010, 23:40
GW have always said full support to CD or nothing. So this is nothing new, and they are bringing CD back (just not in BB). ;)

Condottiere
02-04-2010, 04:36
Any signs of very large insect infestations in the Dark Lands?

Hojo
02-04-2010, 09:04
Any signs of very large insect infestations in the Dark Lands?
You can find pretty much anything in the dark lands...:shifty:

Dai-Mongar
02-04-2010, 10:43
I assume they want people to pick up WFB armies that are in the game, so seeing the Chaos Dwarf team and not being able to make an army of them would be discouraging.

Ozorik
02-04-2010, 11:37
I doubt that this means very much, not least because GW actually still sells chaos dwarves.

There are 2 possible reasons in my view. Firstly CDs have been 'licensed' to forgeworld or CDs are being 're imagined' and their aesthetic will change when/if they do reappear.

Davo
02-04-2010, 11:57
I assume they want people to pick up WFB armies that are in the game, so seeing the Chaos Dwarf team and not being able to make an army of them would be discouraging.

This was my first thought too. They want anyone who plays the video game and fancies the crossover to the tabletop to be able to collect miniatures that are supported by mainstream GW outlets.

I may be wrong though, never played the video game. What other races do they have in there, any that are not supported as a fantasy army/unit?

Spider-pope
02-04-2010, 12:07
Hello folks, I bring you some news which might be slightly left of field for some. There's a new expansion for Blood bowl the computer game scheduled for end of this year. In it is all the remaining teams bar one from LRB 5- the Chaos dwarves.

The rumour is GW said no to them. Whether that's its because chaos dwarves are to be 'squatted' is up to speculation.

Any thoughts on this? AM I reading too much into this, is this confirmation of a long known fact or do some of you optimistic people still hold out hope?

Well, Chaos Dwarfs are still in the fluff and still pop up in novels and other army books. And there are always rumblings of them being given to Forgeworlds new fantasy division to work on. So i dont think its a sign of them disappearing entirely.

Personally i think Dai-Mongar has it spot on. GW ideally want the computer games to encourage people to buy the miniature games too. Having the CD in the game and not in store when Little Timmy decides he wants to recreate his team for real would just lead to unpleasantness.

Ancre
02-04-2010, 16:32

I don't know ; there is no amazon army, and from what I've read there's nothing to say that amazons aren't/won't be in the Cyanide game.

I personally think it's either GW wants to get rid of the evil stunties (which I would dislike very much, as I would buy them the second they're out), or that they want to re-do them and so keep all they can out of reach before launching their new products (which I dearly hope).

Col. Dash
02-04-2010, 16:41
Yeah every rumor including FW(while nothing exact) says CD are going to make a comeback. Hell, i am using an army of them tomorrow in a tourney :)

selone
02-04-2010, 19:11
It's not an april fool. Whatever you belive is the reason for it is up to you. One thing though is I don't think GW are going to get rid of them but yet I don't think GW are going to make rules for them ;)

Freman Bloodglaive
02-04-2010, 20:08
If they produce Chaos Dwarfs then who is going to play normal Dwarfs? CD have all the Dwarf good points (tough as nails infantry, artillery) with none of their weaknesses (fast cavalry, cheap expendable troops, monsters).

I'm sure GW won't squat them though.

TheSil
02-04-2010, 20:18
no, that doesn't mean they possibly get squatted

GW wanted to completely redo their background and looks before they re-publish them, so it is an obvious choice to not include any outdated and possibly contradictory versions of these guys anywhere for a while

if anything it means that they are serious about re-launching the dwarfs and are making up their mind about how to reorganize them

not wanting to include models that look outdated is one thing, but as far as I remember they wanted to completely erase the "chaos" out of the chaos dwarfs (which is a great thing really), so it would be very counter productive to have a "Chaos Dwarf" race anywhere with them not being chaos anymore

Ultimate Life Form
02-04-2010, 22:25
Oh great, non-chaotic Chaos Dwarves, that sounds just as swell as Warcraft's non-evil Orcs, I can't wait to see... :rolleyes:

Yes, the Chaos Dwarves had a change of heart and are now part of the Alliance, and bestest buddies with the normal Dwarves. :o

As long as they keep their big hats though I'm okay... what, you telling me they don't get those, either?

Poor Chaos Dwarves... is it really possible they suffer a fate worse than death, eternal damnation in the non-hell of non-Chaos? Hashut help! :cries:

Grymlok
02-04-2010, 22:38
Chaos out of Chaos Dwarves? Why? What will there new name be? Angry Dwarves? I don't see the logic in such a drastic change.

Condottiere
02-04-2010, 22:55
Disgruntled Dwarves, litigious Dwarves or corporate Dwarves.

Urgat
03-04-2010, 00:14
but as far as I remember they wanted to completely erase the "chaos" out of the chaos dwarfs (which is a great thing really), so it would be very counter productive to have a "Chaos Dwarf" race anywhere with them not being chaos anymore

Never heard of that, and the fact that the hellcanon is in the WoC book seems to contradict this quite plainly.
On another hand, the chaos dwarfs are not calling themselves chaos dwarfs, but Dawi Zhar (don't quote me for the spelling though), which, unless I'm mistaken, means fire dwarfs.

Col. Dash
03-04-2010, 01:18
They worhop Hashut which isnt one of the main choas gods so yeah, taking out the chaos part is a great idea. I didnt like the chaotic direction they were going with the hell cannon crew. Always pictured them as much more disciplined and stoic and I like the Persian theme and hope they stick with it as opposed to just spikey, badly dressed, and with totally unrealistic armor.

Condottiere
03-04-2010, 06:49
It's an Assyrian theme; the Persian theme is more High Elves.

KalEf
03-04-2010, 07:22
kids and there ancient Mesopotamia

I would be happy if they just had a longer pdf than most errata/faq pdfs

yabbadabba
03-04-2010, 07:22
If they produce Chaos Dwarfs then who is going to play normal Dwarfs? CD have all the Dwarf good points (tough as nails infantry, artillery) with none of their weaknesses (fast cavalry, cheap expendable troops, monsters). Wasn't a problem last time, sure wont be one this time.

not wanting to include models that look outdated is one thing, but as far as I remember they wanted to completely erase the "chaos" out of the chaos dwarfs (which is a great thing really), so it would be very counter productive to have a "Chaos Dwarf" race anywhere with them not being chaos anymore

They worhop Hashut which isnt one of the main choas gods so yeah, taking out the chaos part is a great idea. I didnt like the chaotic direction they were going with the hell cannon crew.
I thought the guys who crewed the Helcannon were chaotic Dwarves - Dwarves who had gone over to Chaos, and not Chaos Dwarves? I can see why they would want to dump the "Chaos" Dwarf title if they are going to carry on with the idea that some Dwarves live in the Chaos Wastes and worship the Chaos Gods. Especially as the last version of Chaos Gods couldn't have given a rat's behind about Chaos.

edit: just had a terrible thought. I wonder if all the problems with CDs getting redesigned is because of the problems between the West and some parts of the Middle East? Ha - that would be a true sign of PC madness :wtf:

Condottiere
03-04-2010, 07:33
The Assyrians are too far removed in history to matter, otherwise TK would get shut down.

OldMan
03-04-2010, 09:39
They worhop Hashut which isnt one of the main choas gods so yeah, taking out the chaos part is a great idea. I didnt like the chaotic direction they were going with the hell cannon crew. Always pictured them as much more disciplined and stoic and I like the Persian theme and hope they stick with it as opposed to just spikey, badly dressed, and with totally unrealistic armor.

I totaly disagree. What i love i Chaos Dwarfs, is that they worship a chaos god, who isn't one of the boring great four. ( Which isn't all that great . Don't get fooled by propaganda :) ) .
The CD aren't total barbarians. It is because of their high resistance to warp (or plain stubbornes in sticking to old ways) that they changed little. And i think it is one of things that makes them cool. Removing "chaos" part would be a great lost.

Dai-Mongar
03-04-2010, 10:35
Well, they've done a similar thing with Skaven in seperating them from Chaos. But considering the Dawi Zharr's strong ties to the Chaos Warriors I wouldn't worry about it.
And for the record, not worshipping Chaos wouldn't automatically make them good guys.

Hojo
03-04-2010, 10:39
Well, they've done a similar thing with Skaven in seperating them from Chaos. But considering the Dawi Zharr's strong ties to the Chaos Warriors I wouldn't worry about it.
And for the record, not worshipping Chaos wouldn't automatically make them good guys.
Beastmen are sort of seperated from chaos too.They changed the name, they no longer have marks and the heraldry is not chaotic any more.They are now this new race with "it's own motives".

the anti santa
03-04-2010, 10:46
I'm not sure if GW will get rid of the Chaos Dwarfs, they are in the fluff of a few books after all.

But i doubt we'll see a list any time soon, there has never even been a "proper" army book for them just a white dwarf presents list in 4th-5th and the ravening hordes list in 6th.

There are already a lot of fantasy armies, some of who don't sell very well as it is and it would be quite an effort to release an entirely new range of models and come up drastically update the fluff. I wonder how much GW made from the ogres?

Freman Bloodglaive
03-04-2010, 11:53
Beastmen are sort of seperated from chaos too.They changed the name, they no longer have marks and the heraldry is not chaotic any more.They are now this new race with "it's own motives".

Yes, upholding their naturalistic ways with tens of thousands living hundreds of miles from civilization in the Empire where nothing is hundreds of miles from civilization.

yabbadabba
03-04-2010, 14:00
Beastmen are sort of seperated from chaos too.They changed the name, they no longer have marks and the heraldry is not chaotic any more.They are now this new race with "it's own motives". Can you blame them? After the dog's dinner Archaon made of the place, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind management take over and the Beastmen have declared a bit of an Independent Mutant Republic.

Sygerrik
03-04-2010, 15:04
Chaos Dwarves, like Skaven, are kind of horribly evil and twisted by the mutating power of the Realm of Chaos... but they aren't directly servants of Chaos. They serve gods that could well be extra Chaos Gods, but we don't know for sure. For the Dawi Zharr, "Chaos" was more of a synonym for "evil" than a direct tie-in to Archaon and the Big Four.

Still, they're totally mercenary, which means they'll sell weapons to anyone who can pay for them (with gold, iron and slaves).

Grimstonefire
03-04-2010, 16:51
I always considered the Chaos part to be 'chaotic by action and association', rather than chaos by dedication.

Or in other words, they play off the fact that people think they are followers of chaos, as it inspires fear that they may not otherwise have for such a small race (and not just their physical size :))

Or in other words, they would be the only one out of the remaining 3 (CD, WoC, DoC) that had the word 'chaos', but were not followers of chaos.

Ultimate Life Form
03-04-2010, 17:07
Skaven are made of Chaos. That is all. There is no need to call them Chaos Skaven, for there are no other Skaven in the game they could be confused with. They're the Skaven.

Dwarves on the other hand were already there, and if there is an offshot that has been altered by Chaos it is not unreasonable to call them Chaos Dwarves, because that's what they are.

Beastmen are an entirely different case; sure they are the Beastmen, but I'm unhappy with their latest incarnation and how they've lost all ties to Chaos, so it was probably best to rename them.

wat_dabney
03-04-2010, 17:09
Focus have said on their forums that there's no nefarious reasons behind the lack of Chaos Dwarfs from the upcoming game - they've not been instructed to do so by GW. Focus just wanted a nice round number. They may released them as an add-on later on, along with the Slann, Chaos Pact and Underworld.

Ultimate Life Form
03-04-2010, 17:10
So everything's alright... for now. :)

Condottiere
03-04-2010, 17:27
Focus have said on their forums that there's no nefarious reasons behind the lack of Chaos Dwarfs from the upcoming game - they've not been instructed to do so by GW. Focus just wanted a nice round number. They may released them as an add-on later on, along with the Slann, Chaos Pact and Underworld.That's a reasonable explanation, and shows good business sense.

catbarf
03-04-2010, 19:39
If Chaos Dwarfs were changed to become just a cross between Dwarfs and HoC I wouldn't be interested in the race at all. What always appealed to me was the unique Babylonian style that was distinctly evil without SKULLS SKULLS SKULLS of the other three (!) Chaos armies.

yabbadabba
03-04-2010, 22:52
If Chaos Dwarfs were changed to become just a cross between Dwarfs and HoC I wouldn't be interested in the race at all. What always appealed to me was the unique Babylonian style that was distinctly evil without SKULLS SKULLS SKULLS of the other three (!) Chaos armies.

That wouldn't happen. While the Chaos Dwarves you see manning (or dwarfing?) the Hellcanon have been a part of WFB for ever, they are completely different to the Chaos Dwarfs of the Big Hat Brigade. Now those Chaos Dwarfs might change a fair bit as their last incarnation was quite cartoony, but turn into sado-maso-mecho pimps from hell? Nope.

jamano
04-04-2010, 03:09
Focus have said on their forums that there's no nefarious reasons behind the lack of Chaos Dwarfs from the upcoming game - they've not been instructed to do so by GW. Focus just wanted a nice round number. They may released them as an add-on later on, along with the Slann, Chaos Pact and Underworld.

Why not leave out the generic elves then?

selone
04-04-2010, 07:44
the actual quote from a french speaking representative is

Chaos Dwarfs are elligible in Blood Bowl, GW is not preventing them from being in the game. A decision was made early on regarding asset sharing, nothing sinister or personal to these guys. Maybe we'll see them down the road (maybe even brand new teams?) who knows...

I can't but help think what they mean is chaos dwarfs will come back when they've been redesigned by Forge world ;)

Condottiere
04-04-2010, 07:56
The only difference I can think of would be in imagery and background.

Maybe they'll lose their hats, shave and wear power suits.

Grymlok
04-04-2010, 10:00
So they'll be fantasy cyber dwarf warriors? I'm sure Forge World would love that!

someone2040
06-04-2010, 02:41
Yep. To be honest, I think it's probably a cover up for "Hey guys. We've recently given Forgeworld the go ahead to redesign them. But obviously don't want our new designs leaking out in your game/having different designs in your game. So... don't do them until a later date".
I think it'd be fun if they did Big Hat Chaos Dwarves, and then if they did change them, they remade the models in the new design and left big hat CD in as an easter egg of sorts.
But yeah, overall CD will be missed in Bloodbowl. They have an interesting play style, so I really do hope they're added back in at a later date. Either by a free update like Dark Elves, or an expansion with new teams (Possible Slann, Chaos Pact, Underworld, made up teams, who knows?).