PDA

View Full Version : Rending Sword?

Bladelord
02-04-2010, 18:09
Got a question about Rending Sword. Am I able to use its re-roll to wound while using Bloodskull Pendant instead of his normal attacks?
The same goes for Distendable Maw?

Harwammer
02-04-2010, 18:11
Arguably, however convention is to use a magic weapons rules only when that weapon is actually being used.

Fay_Redd
02-04-2010, 19:06
yeah, that's scraping the barrel a bit there and i would say no.

Bladelord
02-04-2010, 19:23
Okay then I know what you think guys, thanks for the replies.

Djekar
02-04-2010, 23:02
This seems to be in the same vein as using it to reroll wounds from spells and the like, which is technically legal as written but seems a bit gamey. See their response to Kholek's D3 wounds in the FAQ - it is from a magic weapon, therefore it doesn't apply to his special range attack.

stripsteak
04-04-2010, 03:29
it basically comes down to if you are going to allow it for that weapon it has to be allowed for all weapons and that leads to a lot of 'doesn't make much sense' situations...well a couple less now that skaven have a new book they had some of the bad weapons in this regard.

but if played direct raw for weapons, watch out for HE mages with sword of hoeth, and the like. I'm gonna miss being able to reference skaven and their sword that caused every model to do d3 wounds :(

qwertycg
05-04-2010, 01:48
oh the rending sword how I hate thee. I would say no some would say yes. Most of those that abuse the rending sword have their voices 6 octaves higher then a normal male from all the kicking.

MarcoPollo
19-04-2010, 18:08
Yes. As RAW goes. It is as raw as sushi.

Best combo is with blood roar imo.

Agnar the Howler
19-04-2010, 19:54

Just a correction here, Sushi is actually cooked rice that is given a range of toppings, Sashimi is the raw fish.

NeoMonolith
19-04-2010, 20:30
It's rice with raw fish, that happens to be wrapped in seaweed.

When you eat the raw fish alone, it's called sashimi, and the seaweed is nori. Sashimi, especially, is very distinct from eating sushi.
The whole package is 'sushi.' If you do something else to it, it becomes a completely different meal, like how potatoes can be fried potatoes, baked potatoes, potato chips, sliced potatoes, and so on - nigirizushi, makizushi, oshizushi, etc.

The japanese love to make this known, because people outside the country love pretending they know how it really is.

T10
19-04-2010, 20:52
But does it glow in the dark?

-T10

Agnar the Howler
19-04-2010, 21:11
The japanese love to make this known, because people outside the country love pretending they know how it really is.

I hope you're not implying that I take pleasure in thinking that I know something, because I don't, I just make use of what knowledge I have and allow corrections to be made as required.

Kalandros
20-04-2010, 16:12

Yes fine, then my Archmage will take this magic sword which states "All Hits Automatically Wound"

My Spirit of the forge deals 2d6 Hits, thus you take 2d6 wounds with no armor save.

See what I did there?

Magic Weapons do not affect things that are not close combat attacks.

Nathangonmad
20-04-2010, 16:18
Yes fine, then my Archmage will take this magic sword which states "All Hits Automatically Wound"

My Spirit of the forge deals 2d6 Hits, thus you take 2d6 wounds with no armor save.

See what I did there?

Magic Weapons do not affect things that are not close combat attacks.

That seems fine. You have a magic weapon that states this. Where does it say that magic weapons only effect combat attacks, its magic afterall.

Tarian
20-04-2010, 17:00
Don't forget the sword says "all hits", so any time there is the Sword in play, all hits, on all tables, in all games (GW or not) wound automatically. Doesn't even need to apply to games either I guess...

My point is, it seems kinda silly, and I would advocate against it. But if that's how your group plays...

Ayliffe
20-04-2010, 17:20
Its goddamn stupid, magic weapon abilities only apply to their attacks, don't be a fool.

GWItheUltimate
20-04-2010, 18:04
Not this weapon again... cmon !!!

It's a magic WEAPON so it's ability applies when you actually use it !

Deacon Bane
20-04-2010, 21:21
The Father of Blades works outside of Combat. Most weapons in the WOC book state that the effect happens when the weapon is used, while others don't specify. Just bad writing or intent?:confused:

Eta
20-04-2010, 21:50
It is GW, bad writing of course.

Greetings
Eta

GWItheUltimate
21-04-2010, 11:04
Sword of Striking:

+1 to hit.... does that work only when I hit with the sword ? Can my repeater bolt thrower get a +1 to hit when my character has the sword ?!?

Bad writing or intent... or deviant interpretation ?!?

Agnar the Howler
21-04-2010, 11:12
Sword of Striking:

+1 to hit.... does that work only when I hit with the sword ? Can my repeater bolt thrower get a +1 to hit when my character has the sword ?!?

Bad writing or intent... or deviant interpretation ?!?

Please refer to the list of Common Magic Items in the Rulebook, which further explains how the common items work. For this example, it states that the character wielding the blade gets +1 to hit (to a maximum of 2+ to hit, as a 1 always fails), and since a character may never operate a War Machine (unless stated) then no, the bolt thrower does not get +1 to hit.

EDIT: Faliure to detect sarcasm has been my downfall once more!

GWItheUltimate
21-04-2010, 11:49
ok thanks... but i was using sarcasm to prove that sometimes RAW interpretation doesn't make any sense...

But anyway, I think, Agnar, that you clarify this situation on the Sticky thread in the Rules section and I thank you for that.

GWI

Agnar the Howler
21-04-2010, 11:53
ok thanks... but i was using sarcasm to prove that sometimes RAW interpretation doesn't make any sense...

But anyway, I think, Agnar, that you clarify this situation on the Sticky thread in the Rules section and I thank you for that.

GWI

Sarcasm sucks over the net, especially when you're talking to people who can't grasp it well in real life either (that's me! :D) So my fault entirely there.

MarcoPollo
21-04-2010, 21:36
The thing with this is that for all the other magic weapons in that book, the effect is outlined actively. By that I mean that the the other weapons say the "sword confers ..." or the "attacks made by the sword ...".

All of them are qualified by these statements except the rending sword. Poor writing? For sure. Intent? Who knows.

RaW as Sushi? Pass the wasabi.

Deacon Bane
22-04-2010, 18:24
The Father of Blades was FAQ to work vs Shooting. But nothing on the Rending Sword, which is out of place as Marco points out. It would be in poor taste to use the Rending Sword in other phases, but there is an argument to be made.