PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with Chaos

Malakian
14-02-2006, 19:09
I have played with Dark Elves for a while now and now I' d like to try something really cheesy. So I decided to choose Chaos. I have also some money problems so I need to get my army as cheap as possible :)

I chose Points-Denial-Tzeentch and now I need some help with it. What kind of heavy-magic-Tzeentch list would be the best for tournament use? I' d like to have as cheesy list as possible with low amounts of figures.

Tzeentch lore is quite bad so using mounted sorcerers with fire lore could be an option.
Good or bad idea?

Any ideas? ( lord with dragon or disc for example ) Just give me some hints :)

//Malakian

kyussinchains
14-02-2006, 19:25
I've used a Tzeentch lord riding a dragon before carrying a great weapon, wearing the golden eye of tzeentch and the staff of change, sure he costs about 800 points, but he can take almost anything on, and his magical power is super hard.

Add to that a few exalted champions of tzeentch, some small units of knights, screamers, a unit of 12-16 warriors of tzeench as flank holders/flanking unit some furies and finally another exalted on a disc and you've got a small, hugely expensive army, which generates around 15 power dice per turn, and can take on most armies in combat, so long as you're careful picking which fights to commit to and you dont get swamped!

you wont make any points on army composition in a tournament I'm sure, but annihilating an enemy with magic before he's even got into combat then swooping in with your dragon and knights to finish off the survivors can be really enjoyable at times.

If you swap the dragon for a disc you'll save some points as well as making him slightly less of a cannon magnet. You can then spend those points on some warhounds to run in front of your knights, and perhaps a chariot or two for some extra power dice

After that though, you'll probably want to add marauders and some other daemons just so you have some choice when you're not playing in tournaments.

I should also warn you that you will invariably run into an opponent who gets the measure of you right away and takes you apart comprehensively, imbalanced armies like the one above are rarely fun to play for a long period too, you'll probably get bored with the same old tactics.

good luck!

Malakian
15-02-2006, 06:25
Are warriors really so useful? I have always thought that they are just slow killing machines that will never get to close combat.

I know that I will get bored but its my time to be cheesy :)

kyussinchains
15-02-2006, 17:04
I find warriors to be exceptionally useful, they're no slower than marauders and hit much harder, WS 5 and S6 with great weapons is the perfect flanking unit. Chosen are maybe a little too expensive, but a unit of 12 (2 ranks of 6, no command) warriors with great weapons is not too hefty on the bank balance and will take most units down with a good flank charge.

that's my experience, there are plenty of people on this forum who will tell you different!

Malakian
17-02-2006, 12:00
Hmm... mayby but I still think that they are too expensive to get shot into pices before they get into close combat.

Though they are fluffyy and cool.

kyussinchains
17-02-2006, 12:48
warriors arent so easy to shoot to pieces as marauders, they also dont panic as easily, yes they cost more, but that's what you pay for.

In my opinion, chaos units should ALL be better in hand to hand than pretty much any other army, marauders get whupped by most elites, and stand little chance against most any cavalry.

but hey, you asked for advice and I told you my opinions, you dont have to listen to all of it!

PelsBoble
17-02-2006, 17:42
Well mauraders are more resilent to charges since they are often in blocks of 5x5. While warriors are too expensive to have more than 16 per block. IMHO the warriors are too much points considering they are easy to kill with magic/shooting. The mauraders die easy to this as well but they do have the number advantage.

Of course they are great for a flank charge. But a clever enemy would never let this happen. And it should be easy to avoid unless you are using some magic movement stuff ( unseen lurker / wild call)

MarcoPollo
17-02-2006, 21:22
Get a big unit of gors/ungors and stick 2 or 3 wargors of Tzeetch it. give the wargors great weapons or braystaff (staff of Darkoth) and let them hold the middle. They are skirmishers so get 360 line of sight, move 5" (10") and you can place your front line how you want with characters. This is an excellent center block.

warlord hack'a
18-02-2006, 09:09
fotunately I play in the Dutch GT and you are not allowed to take all your hero slots as wizards (or as non-wizards with a magic item that grants them spellcasting ability for that matter). Are you sure you want to play such a cheesy army, do you think you will make friends with a lord of 800+ points?

If you do, go ahead but I hope to play only againts people that do not try to make warhammer as it was in 5th edition, where my savage orc general (8 attacks) with the hydra blade (each hit becomes d6 hits) determined what happened on the battlefield and the rest of my army was just there to fill in the space..

Enjoy, it is a good way to get points on the table yety keep cash in your wallet..

^DrAgOn^
28-02-2006, 03:40
What about making a Tzeentch Daemon legion flying circus?