PDA

View Full Version : Thunder Wolf Mount

CKO
03-04-2010, 00:47
I think that the thunderwolf mount upgrade is the best upgrade in the game! I believe you get 1+ atk, 1+ toughness, +1 str and you have a charge range of 12, I cant think of a better upgrade, can you?

doubleplay2888
03-04-2010, 00:48
whats the tactic ur trying to explain here. and yeah it is pretty close.

CKO
03-04-2010, 00:50
The purpose is to start discusion on unit upgrades, more specifically the best ones.

Hero adamite
03-04-2010, 00:57
I wouldn't exactly say there are any unit upgrades that are the best. Any upgrades can be good if you use them in the right way and depending on your stradegy.

freddieyu
03-04-2010, 12:55
A few days ago I fought versus a SW list with Canis Wolfborn and 3 TW mounted wolf lords, all with 2 fenrisian wolves each as wargear, and all joined a unit of 15 fenris wolves. It took a HELL of a lot of firepower (and successful use of Weaken Resolve from the PBS, which got through the wolf tooth talisman) to bring this unit down.

It is indeed a good upgrade.....maybe the future librarian upgrade the the dreadnought in the blood angels will also be good...

aaronaleong
03-04-2010, 12:59
I feel the upgrade is a little spicey. One question I do have is, can a HQ calvary model join any unit?

Secondly, I was thinking about a wolfpriest on a bike joining a unit of Thunderwolves. Is that possible?

scarvet
03-04-2010, 13:11
a) Yes, even infantry.

b) Yes, but they only move 6" in movement phase, and can't fleet.

Bunnahabhain
03-04-2010, 13:50
I think that the thunderwolf mount upgrade is the best upgrade in the game! I believe you get 1+ atk, 1+ toughness, +1 str and you have a charge range of 12, I cant think of a better upgrade, can you?

Yes, I can.

A horse. 5 pts gets you:
Fleet
12" charge
Krak grenades
S5, I5 power weapons, with easy ways to bump them to S6 I1.

You have to factor the points cost in, otherwise the best upgrade simply becomes silly ( ie the Imperiator titan ''upgrade'' for a tech preist)

scarvet
03-04-2010, 14:39
Meh, Steed of Slaanesh also give you an extra attack.

aaronaleong
03-04-2010, 16:10
a) Yes, even infantry.

b) Yes, but they only move 6" in movement phase, and can't fleet.

Yes but just think if Thunderwolves can re-roll misses and be feerless. Maybe I can ensure I get within 2 inches at the end of the movement phase where I don't need the fleet!

Now a wolfguard battle leader with outflank and a thunderhammer is pretty awesome.

scarvet
03-04-2010, 22:30
Except that Saga is infantry only?

Seriously people, read the whole entry in your codex.

aaronaleong
04-04-2010, 01:04
Except that Saga is infantry only?

Seriously people, read the whole entry in your codex.

Yes,

But no where does it say a HQ that takes a Thunderwolf as a mount turns into a Calvary model...but I will give it to you.

elite_dannux
04-04-2010, 18:21
Id say IG Commissar.

Turns a couple of IG units from useless to rally annoying. Add some powerweapons and kill marines.

t-tauri
04-04-2010, 18:34
Moved to 40k general.

Tiller5
04-04-2010, 18:37
Yes,

But no where does it say a HQ that takes a Thunderwolf as a mount turns into a Calvary model...but I will give it to you.

But in this case you need to apply some common sense - Thunderwold Cavalry units are Cavalry, so a Thunderwolf-mounted Lord isn't going to move as infantry, is it?

I see the Thunderwolf upgrade as being fairly costed, as you get a lot of benefits for those 45 points, potentially game-wiining ones at that. It's only fair one pays out of the nose for such a benefit.

Altansar
04-04-2010, 18:50
Yes,

:wtf:

Per codex: "A character with the Thunderwolf Mount upgrade has the unit type of cavalry..."

primarch16
04-04-2010, 21:49
The daemon herald chariot upgrades are absolute bargains and brilliant.

xerxeshavelock
04-04-2010, 21:59
Depending on the codex Smoke Launchers for 3 points are pretty awesome.

Murrithius
04-04-2010, 22:13
The Tau vehicle upgrade that grants obscured if over 12" away for 5 points. That's irritatingly good. (Damn 4th ed left overs...)

librisrouge
05-04-2010, 00:09
AND we have a winner. Anybody who faces Tau regularly will agree with that. Thank you, this list is over. Try the steak.

Wicksy
05-04-2010, 00:23
Might i add Mark of the Wulfen.....something like 10-15 pts that gives a guy d6 extra attacks and rending. That is terrible, especially when combined with my other choice, the wolf standard for something like 5pts. That allows you to re-roll any 1 be it to hit, to wound or armour saves. Effectively gives a sw player a near 2+ for that unit.

Bunnahabhain
05-04-2010, 00:27
How about marine power fists?
20 or so points, depending on which flavour of power armour you have, but you have an insurance policy against most characters, MCs and Vehicles

methodeoin
05-04-2010, 01:04
I feel the upgrade is a little spicey. One question I do have is, can a HQ calvary model join any unit?

Secondly, I was thinking about a wolfpriest on a bike joining a unit of Thunderwolves. Is that possible?

In the case of a wolf lord on a thunder wolf he can only join units of fenrisian wolves or other thunder wolof riders.

Does it not say in the codex that thunder wolf riders cant join any other units? So I doubt a wolf priest on a bike could join them legally.

Loki73
05-04-2010, 02:19
combi meltas on wolf guard termies with wolf claws is preety sweet.

The wolfen upgrade on skyclaws is neato as well D6+1 and +2 for beserkcharge.

Thud
05-04-2010, 02:31
How about marine power fists?
20 or so points, depending on which flavour of power armour you have, but you have an insurance policy against most characters, MCs and Vehicles

If you're talking about Tac squads here, I'm gonna go against the accepted forum knowledge and say power fists are wasted points.

Yeah, that's right. I said it.

Thylacine
05-04-2010, 04:20
Thunderwolves are nice, I have just added seven to my army, but they are a fluff addition sadly let down by the rules, when they could have been so much more. Just another semi-lame model in an overrated codex!

Thud
05-04-2010, 05:07
Thunderwolves are nice, I have just added seven to my army, but they are a fluff addition sadly let down by the rules, when they could have been so much more. Just another semi-lame model in an overrated codex!

Really? Are you saying Thunderwolves are poor, rules-wise? :wtf:

Kveld-Ulf
05-04-2010, 05:07
Maybe when they fix Chaos the Chaos Juggernaut's (which have been around for a much longer time than giant cyborg wolves) will actually have decent stats like that again.

druchii
05-04-2010, 05:27
Book of St. Lucius. 5 pts, hey, everyone tests on ld9/10 if that superior/cannoness is alive/within 6".

d