PDA

View Full Version : Starting 40k

Leo85
03-04-2010, 06:53
Long time VC player, my bro is picking up Blood angles, and im tempted to play 40k, I've looked at all the armies, and I love the look of necrons. I really don't know squat about 40k but i love the look, very terminator look haha. Few q's is it worth it to start now since its an old army and what do I need to get started money not an issue.

Ivellis
03-04-2010, 06:58
Well, Necrons are considered quite weak right now, and would most likely have a HORRIBLE match up against Blood Angels, but for friendly games you could still have fun, there's nothing like watching your guys stand back up again.

A very solid starting army would be to buy two battleforces, a lord and a monolith. (Two if you can afford it.) Necrons have probably the best value battleforce in 40k.

Leo85
03-04-2010, 07:19
Thanks man, I'm not all worried about strong armies, just in it for the fun. I was just worried if necrons got a revamp really soon, But as in weak is the army really outdated?

Ivellis
03-04-2010, 07:30
Necrons have the second oldest codex, only Dark Eldar are older. Rumours go Necrons won't get a new book till next year. It's very unlikely anything in the battleforce will get new models, and neither will the monolith. As for rules, we can't really predict what will change, but I figure (And hope.) that we can only go up from here.

Tenken
03-04-2010, 07:31
Yeah the necron book is really dated and suffers alot from general rules now that weren't rules when it was written. One of the most notable things is that necron warriors used to be able to reliable destroy just about any vehicle, not so anymore. Also the fact that the C'tan aren't immune to ID (you need a weapon with an ID special rule to do it, but there are things that do that).

Their biggest flaw though is, IMO, their lack of model selection. Really you're army is going to be warriors, scarabs, destroyers, monoliths and HQ. Pretty much everything else is useless, and even if you do wanna use it there's still only like 6 more units. It's a very restrictive book.

The Ginger Ninja
03-04-2010, 07:41
If money is not an issue, I'd get a battleforce, here its quite expensive ($180NZD last I checked/what I remember) but it is really good value for money, and it gives you some fairly decent units.
I would also pick up a lord (on a destroyer or foot, your call), and a codex
That should give you a basic starting force.
when you are ready to expand to a larger force, another battleforce should give you a boost, and after that, you should have a fair grasp of the game and what you like/dislike game mechanic wise, which you can make your next purchase on, for example, if you love close combat, some flayed ones might be a good idea.

I would also ask over in M, P&T ("http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20) whats a good starting point as far as hobbying/painting goes

Corbulo
03-04-2010, 08:38
yea you are best to start off with a battleforce or 2 just like these guys said.
BTW The Ginger Ninja battleforces are $173 in NZ atm moment, i was just looking around at my local GW items seller.

MadHatter
03-04-2010, 09:08
a lord on foot and a box of warriors plus the battle force will give you a solid 1500 pt to play with. I only put 3 scarabs on my bases as it is the total number of wounds, so that will give you extras to either put on more base or onto the bases of other models.

its true you are not likely to cause mass tank destruction on the battle field with the current codex, but all guass weapons glance on six and you can sure as heck make those expensive toys nice walls of inmoveable pieces of terrain. Scarabs are great at being an annoyance and last minute objective denying.

Since your about having fun and going with the idea of the terminator movies you should have no problem with the current model range, heck you could take the time to convert the destroyers to be more like the flying killing machines. (sorry do not know the name of those) You could even have your monolith as the big robot on tank tracks, I am sure no one would say anything against it if you placed it on the table. I know I would be taking tons of pictures to show off. Biggest thing is to remember those skeletal models are broken easy while cleaning off mold lines. Hope you cross over, and join in the insanity of the 40k universe.

if you can swing it grab a monolith, they are fun to field.

Firmlog
03-04-2010, 11:57
I'd like to add he should pick up some heavy destroyers. If the army has trouble taking out tanks, a full squad of heavy destroyers (5) should help kill the tanks from a distance and not have to worry about all that glancing.

I'd say 2 necron battle forces, 2 monoliths and 5 heavy destroyers. I'm not remembering the necrons too much since I sold it but I'd get a Destroyer lord or 2 as well instead of the standard foot model. Less likely instant death and can be moved over the battlefield faster to spread those abilities out.

Now I'm a fan of building lists with double everything, call it redundancy. However, Necrons absolutely require it. Though you could get away with only one monolith.

The only question I have is, is there a reason necron players don't take Destroyer lords?

If you want a C'tan I recommend the deciever. He has always been a better point value than the nightbringer. I'd stay away from elites until the codex and presumably models get redone. But if you really want it 2 squads of immortals are great, I'd stay away from the pariahs, they are very expensive and hurt your armies ability to stay on the field.

For fast I loved the, uhm not flayed ones, ah I can't think of the name they phase through everything. They are cool models but the squad is too small and tend to get wasted with too few wounds and don't dish out enough hurt.