PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Pestelins Skaven

w3rm
04-04-2010, 01:56
Ok so for my skaven army I wanna do a cool theme. Honestly I dont see what the big problem everyone has with the furnace is. Its easy to kill and to bait and it kills its own men as much as it kills the enemy. So here's the list,

Plague Preist
Flail, Plague Furnace, Shadow Magic Trinket Portent of Verminous Doom, Level 2

25 Clanrats
Shields, Banner, Musician

25 Clanrats

25 Clanrats

20 Slaves

20 Slaves

20 Slaves

20 Slaves

2 Rat Swarms

2 Rat Swarms

27 Plague Monks
FC, Plague Banner

5 Censor Bearers
Chantor

5 Censor Bearers
Chantor

Plagueclaw Catapult

So I dont think this list is too cheesy or that the Furnace unit is a deathstar. Yeah its big but easy to bait and honestly not that scary if you know how to deal with it. Slaves will screen the unit and use Censors as support for the Furnace unit. Thoughts?

Nocculum
04-04-2010, 10:37
Personally I'd go for a larger unit of censers, and two units of Monks without the furnace at this point level with the difference allowing for a second Priest to head up the new Monk unit. Not only will it double your magic effectiveness to increase the chance of Withered or Poisoning your monks to juicy levels, but it'll add combat effectiveness and not make your furnace one big, massive, 400-500 point Victory Point Target.

I've lost interest in slaves recently, so I'd personally drop two units (keep two to check/flank two of the Clanrat units) and loosen up points from the Censers (1X8-9 models) to give yourself two of the Pestilens Weapon teams for the clanrat units. Extra fire power and templates to soften up the enemy before those lovely monks get into combat.

w3rm
04-04-2010, 13:45
Plague Priest- 169
Flail, Shadow Magic Trinket, Level 2

Plague Priest- 174
Level 2, Flail, Warpscroll

25 Clanrats- 124.5

25 Clanrats- 124.5

20 Slaves- 40

20 Slaves- 40

20 Slaves- 40

20 Slaves- 40

29 Plague Monks- 258
FC, Plague Banner

29 Plague Monks- 228
FC

10 Censor Bearers- 160

Plagueclaw Catapult- 100

Total- 1498
6 Power Dice
201 Models
12 Drops

So I should rule the magic phase and when my Pestelins units get into combat they should rip through most stuff. Priests lead the Plague Monk units and slaves are used to screen and bait and flee. Plagueclaw is there to knock take out highly armored stuff like knights. Thoughts?

Nocculum
04-04-2010, 14:01
That looks set to be a much more capable and focussed list. You've got even more numbers now, and two large hammer units with tough characters that can support or inflict direct damage with their magic. You've the standard 6 dice for that points level, and a bound spell for surprises, which would work effectively to aid the Plagueklaw in taking out rival large blocks if you come up against Orcs And Goblins or Empire and the like.

My only concern now would be the Censer Bearers being slightly too big and unwieldy, but this depends on how you and your opponents/mates/ex-mates set-up terrain or what sort of field you tend to go for when you play. If there's going to be lots of trees and cover then you're alright, I've always found 8 to be the perfect number for them, even with the old rules, as it means 3 can die and you still maintain reasonable effectiveness when they (if they) hit combat. Saying that, 10 is fine, as it's one of many large threats in this list that your opponent has to deal with; if they don't get across the board, chances are the 30 strong Monk units will, which arn't very nice to man-things :D

Let us know how it runs!

w3rm
04-04-2010, 15:00
It will run nice-nice and kill-kill many things.

Killboss
05-04-2010, 15:03
to give yourself two of the Pestilens Weapon teams for the clanrat units.
There are no Pestilens weapon teams....

Ok, so i have just.... like 1 point to make about this list....

You have 2 points left... i say you buy another slave. 21 "man" slave unis are much much better then 20 "man" ones. The differnece being your opponent needs to kill 1 more slave before panic (believe me, that one extra slave is worth it).

Other then the questionable size of the PCBs, i'd say its a pretty good list :)

Nocculum
05-04-2010, 21:00
I'm referring to the Poison Wind Mortar.

Dantès
05-04-2010, 23:31
The Mortar is effectively two Poisoned Wind Globadiers lobbing their globes over their allies heads. Globes are very Skryre, Pestilens has no weapon teams.

A unit of 10 Censers is a terrible idea. You'll kill around 2 of your Censer bearers a turn, that's 32 points a turn. You're much better off taking them in units of 5. I usually run then in units of 6 or 7 since without a screen they will be a pretty big target for small arms fire.

As a general rule, I try not to take units of Monks larger than my Clanrats units. It makes them too unwieldy. A block of 25 Plague Monks having frenzy is already unwieldy enough, but that one extra rank will keep you stuck in terrain for one turn longer.

Drop Plague Monks to 24 (to fit Priests in each), and this will give you enough points to boost up the two units of 5 PCB to 7 each. Expect only 5, maybe 6 to make it to combat, so don't be discouraged. With the remaining points boost the slaves units to 21 each...that extra makes a big difference. I recommend running two units of slaves 7 wide in front of your monks, with a unit ranked 5 wide on each side. Like blinders on a horse.

KayazyAssassin
06-04-2010, 02:27
i think you should consider fitting in the storm banner to protect against the shooting phase and it shouldn't affect your plague claw if it has magical attacks

w3rm
06-04-2010, 02:38
In my mixed clan list I run a block of 23 with a priest usually. I find that they dont keep thier ranks for long enough when in combat to be as effective. I do like the idea of keeping the slaves as blinders. I am keeping the censors in 10 because I use them to flank monsters or other such things and I want a decent amount aliver because they get shot up so much.

Dantès
06-04-2010, 05:12
Okay, so when your opponent shoots at your unit of 10 PCBs, and can kill 3 before you get stuck in combat, then you kill 1-2 of your own PCB in your combat phase, the squad is now US 5-6, yes? If you had two units of let's say 7, you'd lose 1-2 before combat, because he has to split his fire between the two units, and then 1 in combat.

The multiple units approach works better. Having frail yet hard hitting units like PCBs in doubles means your opponent doesn't have to worry about just one, but TWO, scary hammer units coming at him. With 1, he can frenzy bait, magic missile, whatever, but with two he has to split his fire, making it less effective against BOTH as a result, and if he concentrates on killing/eliminating one from the equation, you have a backup!

I just like taking things in pairs with the new Skaven book. Sure, the LD isn't great, we're easy to kill, and the Pestilens stuff is easy to Frenzy bait and then destroy piecemeal, but the way to minimize these effects are to take multiples of each unit.

If you haven't tried a dual PCB list, it's ridiculous. I converted some out of extra monks I had, and had enough bits to make 15, so I took a unit of 8 and a unit of 7. I retired them 8 games later. ;)