PDA

View Full Version : And the angels of darkness descended upon pinions of fire and light: PreHeresy DA

Pages : [1] 2

Deiex
04-04-2010, 08:18
"And the angels of darkness descended upon pinions of fire and light...the great and terrible dark angels"

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Marine1.jpg

Army: The First Legion, the Dark Angels
Time Period: Pre Heresy, Great Crusade

Greetings Warseer,
A blog! After a time spent viewing these forums for inspiration, I have finally come to the decision to start my own Blog. With my current rendition of my dear Dark Angels I will provide you with progress of the initial 1850pt list, and hopefully beyond. I have played Dark Angels ever since I began with the hobby in 1997 with second edition. Over the years I have built up the 4th Company with support from the armoury and units from the 1st and 2nd company retiring old models for new as they made themselves available. The interest was always there for the Pre Heresy Dark Angels history and colours. At one point I repainted my Dark Angels to appease this desire, but we will not talk about that bad decision in much detail, or how many times I re-painted them. With that in mind and the 4th company green once more I learned my lesson and have started from scratch with this attempt at the Pre Heresy First Legion. Without further delay the mandatory workspace pic!

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/WorkStation.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/MiniatureSupply.jpg

The beginning of this blog however has missed the initial start of the project, so I will bring things up to speed.

First the models I have brought to completion:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Marine1and2.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/DropPodDoor.jpg

The concept for the models design was greatly influenced by the following image from GW's "The Horus Heresy Collected Visions" book.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Reference.jpg

eltanko
04-04-2010, 14:20
Im really liking the look of these guys, they looks very mysterious. Love the added designs to the shoulder pads. Am I seeing right that there are designs in the bone coloured parts on the drop pod, or are my eyes decieving me? Because it looks great.

ElTanko

bigcheese76
04-04-2010, 14:34
I am considering starting a Dark Angels army as soon as I have sold my Orks, so for that reason I will be following this thread, as I would love to know how a DA veteran goes about collecting them.

Deusmex
04-04-2010, 14:38
Well. Where to start?

Im gobsmacked, utterly amazed at the work that has gone into that drop pod door.

I looked at it at first and thought "that looks pretty good....hold on is that swords on the top....OMG theres images everywhere!!!"

This is way beyond a well painted army , this is into the realms of art.
Im jealous beyond all measure.

Stunning work.

Smarine14
04-04-2010, 14:45
wow these are great! And those images on the drop pod door are insane!

Subscribed and looking forward to more. ;)

Frgt/10
04-04-2010, 15:11
stunning work already
if the rest of this log is this good, we're in for a treat :D

Deus Ruinus
04-04-2010, 15:44
wow i wish i could ersonaly see the drop pod door up close, just so that i can see more of this amazing detailing!

and the marine conversions are very well done! ill be looking more into this log! consider me subscribed!

Emilio101
04-04-2010, 15:49
Wow! I think in one post you've blown every other DA log on Warseer out of the water! :p

Can I second the call for a detail shot of the doors? Any advice on how you achieved that effect would be much appreciated too!

Emilio

rrchristensen
04-04-2010, 16:56
Oi! Very nice work. Love your man-cave.

Tiller5
04-04-2010, 17:05
Well, to echo what everyone else has already said so far - wow! The sheer detail you have put into that Drop pod door is astounding, but what a result, I must say.

Also, those two Marines you posted - again, wonderful mdoels! Especially when you consider the pose is relatively mundane, the extras you've modelled on rasies them up to the level of superb. I eagerly await updates!.

bp.
04-04-2010, 17:19
Wow, they are painted fantasticly well, and you have captured the look of the Crusading theme of the chapter perfectly with the ideas from the picture from collected visions.

The drop pod door as well, amazing! Very much looking forward to seeing more of these guys.

The best DA i have seen to date, and it's early days for this blog!!!!

BeatTheBeat
04-04-2010, 18:33
The marines are taken straight from my visions of how pre-heresy DA should look, and the drop pod door is madness. 'Nuff said, really. Subscribed with emphasis.

Cheers,
BTB

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
04-04-2010, 18:38
Holy cow! That drop pod door...is...undescribable. *jaw drops*

Deiex
04-04-2010, 18:56
Thank you everyone for your kind words, I greatly appreciate your responses. In return I will do my best to respond to any questions posted at the beginning of each of my new posts. So onward with the answers!

The Drop Pod:
So yes your eyes do not deceive you, to liven up this model that cannot move I have decided to give the outside of the doors somewhat of a mosaic (kind of funny since they will be facing the table for most of the game)

The procedure for doing this was as follows:
-first a foundation of foundation Astronomican Grey was applied
-then with Adeptus Battlegrey the detail line work were applied given value by mixing with black and white (taking inspiration from the Horus Heresy Collected Visions once more for images, really is a great book for any pre heresy army)
-black was applied to represent burn marks from re-entry
-a wash of Devlan mud was applied overtop to mute the surface and tie in the elements as being a single piece; extra coats around the burn marks as to meld them in with the rest of the model
-lastly I went in and applied highlights to the edges of the drop pod to bring the dimension back to the model using astronomican grey up to white

Unfortunately I will not be able to provide detail shots of the door at this time as I need my friend to allow me use of his camera once more to do so, I will try and encourage this so I can get them up here for you as soon as possible.

Ancient Dark Angel Secret:
Being a devoted Dark Angel player I have always used the Dark Angel codex (even with the frustration it provides "Are we stubborn or not!? What! fearless no no take it back! you just gave stubborn great rules!" just my opinion) even scorned other local Dark Angel players for using the new vanilla marine codex when it came out as the rules for the boys in green. However for a pre heresy army I felt the Dark Angel Codex did not represent them properly. I feel that the Dark Angel codex has in mind the Dark Angels who have gone thru the fall and have devoted resources to hunt the fallen compromising the armies structure and value in units(my excuse why scouts are elite, don't trust them lol). So to represent a pre heresy pre fallen army I will be using the vanilla marine codex. At a later date and maybe if I can dream, a codex not written by Jervis, I will use the Dark Angel book for my pre heresy. The green boys as I will now call them will always use the Dark Angel book however.

So on to some new stuff:

The picture below gives an idea of the conversion process for the marines. I am not much of a fan of the true scale marines using terminator parts, but still felt a need to show their added stature. This was done by adding length to the thigh. The thigh on the marine models normally seems disproportion, so by bring it to equal length with the lower leg it is then of normal human proportion (my opinion). This brings the model about a heads height over a guards men, which I feel is accurate about 7ft-8ft (unless my references are wrong). The robes of the models I am very pleased with, they were achieved by first cutting strips of thin plastic card, bent then applied to each side and back of the model. Green stuff was used then to fill the gaps, and finally Green putty was applied over the whole surface. Once dried filed to completion. The helmets are just simply normal helmets with specific details removed, filled with greenstuff, and applied plastic card. The winged helm as seen in the first pic is reserved for veteran sergeants.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/TheProcessMarine.jpg

And here is a lot picture of the works in progress:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/GroupShot.jpg

I also have a few ready for the painting block (currently have another rank and file marine in the process as well):

Terminator
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Terminator.jpg

Lord Cypher
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/LordCypher.jpg

And Luther
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Luther.jpg

You may notice Luthers structure is different from a normal marine. This is due to my attempt to represent the fact that he did not receive the full space marine treatment as he was too old. I will have such models scattered thru the army to represent these knights of Caliban that could not receive the full treatment and therefore lack the stature of a full blown marine. This was done by using Cadian guard plastics for the chest and upper leg. The following pic provides a comparison of one such veteran of Caliban and a full blown marine.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/SizeComparison.jpg

only joking...
04-04-2010, 20:03
The drop pod door is *off the chain* seriously wicked stuff.

XenosVanquisher
04-04-2010, 21:14
The work on that DP door is mind-blowingly intricate.

Arkley
04-04-2010, 21:14
I can only echo other people here... I esp love the little touchs like adding Ravenwing symbols to the helmet... Consider that idea stolen. :p

rev
04-04-2010, 23:02
yeh, jaw droppingly immense.

Will be back to ogle some more.

You're shelving solution is also impressive!

Rev

bobby_b
04-04-2010, 23:06
Just superb. Will be keeping my eye on this plog!

Corrode
04-04-2010, 23:08
Good start, I look forward to seeing more of these.

G.Hawke
04-04-2010, 23:11
Those dark angels are fantastic..... the hobby room you have is immense.... gods balls man, this log looks promising.

hawke

Hushrong
04-04-2010, 23:45
There is a dictionary full of words to express how awesome this all is. An this was all done with a single post.

Your work area is awesome and your DA are otherworldly. Hoping to see more soon.

khedyarl
05-04-2010, 06:22
Those dark angels are fantastic..... the hobby room you have is immense.... gods balls man, this log looks promising.

hawke

Should I tell him, Deix, or will you? :P

Dragoon King
05-04-2010, 06:44
Holy cow. Color me impressed. Not often a loyal chapter impresses this Chaos nut. Mindbendingly awesome stuff so far...I'll keep an eye on this blog for sure.

malika
05-04-2010, 06:48
Very cool! Can't wait to see more man!

Rabid Monkey
05-04-2010, 07:04
Wow, this stuff looks incredible.

Ridicule
05-04-2010, 09:29
I truly dropped my Jaw when I saw that drop-pod "door" :S Consider me subscribed sir!

Mannerheim
05-04-2010, 10:07
Bravo!!!
Excellent work, you truly choose the right look for the PreHeresy Dark Angel. The old Caliban's Knight is really cool!

Warlord Nazgred
05-04-2010, 15:15
This log looks awesome can't wait to see your rendition of Lion El'Johnson!

Deiex
05-04-2010, 16:43
Thank you everyone; again greatly appreciate your comments. Having this blog has proven to be greatly inspirational which I thank you viewers for. I guess I will have to paint another Drop Pod door as a thank you.

Should I tell him, Deix, or will you? :P

Lol, what Khedyarl is referring to is the fact my hobby space is also my living room/bedroom/kitchen, basically my entire living space. The pic I provided shows about 75% of my room, basically everything minus the bed.

Warlord Nazgred, I am indeed planning to do a rendition of Lion El'Johnson. I will hopefully today be picking up the parts to build the base structure of this model. He is going to be a daunting task, but I’m looking forward to it. Hopefully I will do him justice. For game play I am going to field him as Cato Sicarius (I know not completely a Primarch), I find his rules best represent the Lion and allows me to still compete in tournaments with this list. Having rules like being able to reroll the attempt to seize the initiative and give the army his leadership really characterizes the Lion's tactical genius in game play. His ability to inflict instant death with his (Lion) sword and feel no pain screams Primarch to me. 2+ save 4+ Invulnerable and gives a unit a specialization, sold, not to mention comes with Dark Angel favorite plasma.

Also if someone could tell me is it common or unusual for my update posts like my second post in this thread on page one there to require approval by a mod before it is posted? Kind of made things odd by having it show up a day later.:confused:

BeatTheBeat
05-04-2010, 17:26
It is common before 5th or 10th post or something, so don't worry :) Great job on the Caliban vets btw!

Cheers,
BTB

Repentant Son
05-04-2010, 20:04
'Shakes head and sighs'

While your painting work is well worthy of praise, I am not so sure about the green stuff.

How it fails to reach high quality is very subtle, as in you have the talent, you need to go beyond inspired.

The marines that were inspired by the painting were next to copies. The hood on one of them looks awkward.

The one flaw of Vulkan is partially in your minis as well - clutter. Real marines don't have all this stuff hanging off their armour!

Aside from that your legs and helms are... odd. Not bad, just different.

I like the use of SW parts to make it more DA. Ironic and brilliant.

Anyways, I hold your talent in the highest regard. Just trying to make sure it is utilized to it's fullest extent.

systmdownxer
06-04-2010, 03:16
******* love them!
Andbtw I have the same desk, bet ya got it at a Staples :D

Hammer of the Paladins
06-04-2010, 18:31
Incredible! I'll be keeping a close eye on this. Update soon! :)

chancer74
06-04-2010, 20:14
I am loving these. I have been a Da player for a very long time. And this army is truly inspirational. Well done and keep it up.

malika
06-04-2010, 22:24
So, got an armylist or something for them yet? What do you plan on including?

Deiex
07-04-2010, 03:21
Hey Warseer,

As always thank you for the kind words, and thank you BeatTheBeat for answering my question about post approval. I have gotten a fair bit of painting done due to the motivation provided by the support I've been shown here. I have fully completed another marine, the back side to the drop pod door, and started base coating the other four drop pod doors. Since it seems to have proven popular I will provide a photo reference of the step by step progress of how I do the doors (may take some time so please bear with me). Unfortunately I will have to wait on providing any current pictures as I will have to ask khedyarl to lend me his camera once more to do so. So with that done, as I intended we start with the questions/comments in order.

Repentant Son:

'Puts hand to chin, and ponders'
I can see some valid points in your comments. In your reference to clutter I can see that as a possibility, but I am hoping with the added accessories I can attempt to provide Dark Angel character to the models. I understand this character is a copy of the collected visions piece I showed (which I thank you when you say they are next to copies) and does not show much originality. But if I were to be more than inspired from this and say more original, well, would that still make them Dark Angels? This is the fine line I walk when picking an army that is intended to be from a specific time period in the fluff and specific force created by GW. With the awkward hoods, well what can I say, I am one for the theatrics.

systmdownxer:

Has your desks keyboard tray been the bane of your existence (well online existence) as mine has? The one arm has broken and spilled out all the ball bearings, so now I just prop it up on the edge of what once was and periodically it will give and spill my keyboard and mouse on the floor. :cries:

malika:

I do indeed have an army list I’m working from. The local scene here is 1850pts for 40k, which I believe is fairly common right now. The list contains the following:

HQ:
-Captain Catro Sicarius (To be the rules used for Lion El' Johnson)
-Command Squad (featuring Luther(storm shield, power sword), Lord Cypher(plasma pistol), Tech Marine Askelon(powerfist), an Apothecary, and dude with a thunder hammer(Going to be a giant sword, something like Cloud's from FF7 to keep to the sword motif the Dark Angels carry, not sharp just bludgeon you to death)

Elite:
-Terminator Squad (with a chainfist and cyclone missile launcher)
-Ironclad Dreadnought (because back in the day they made things stronger :p has chainfist)

Troop:
-Tactical (full 10man, meltagun, heavy bolter, power weapon, drop pod. Mimicking Sergeant Kohl's squad from HH Novel: Fallen Angels)
-Tactical (full 10man,combi plasma, plasma, missile launcher)

Fast Attack:
-Assault Squad (full 10 man, thunder hammer(sword),storm shield, no jump packs, rhino, dozer blade)

Heavy Support:
-Land Raider
-Devastator Squad (2x lascannons)

Lastly, since I feel I should never post without providing a picture, I present my Land Raider!!

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/LandRaider.jpg

:p The Model is the Pre Heresy style from Forge World.

systmdownxer
07-04-2010, 20:46
Yea its a horrible piece of crap. Mine hasn't fully broken, but it hasn't ever worked well since I built it. Other than that, I love the desk. Lots of work room!

Repentant Son
07-04-2010, 21:20
I can tell you are one for theatrics. :D

It seems what your problem is, is you are unsure that you are unable to make them DA enough.

Additional details aren't bad, it's how much and the placement of said details. A censor hanging from the bottom of the backpack isn't covering anything, and it helps add character. Same for banners and icons on the top of a backpack.

Putting additional stuff on the chest (IE, having the aquila and a gigantic necklace) is generally bad, but if you make it small and not stand-outish it's fine. Same for anything else, as long as it isn't overpowering and it isn't covering up other stuff it's generally fine.

You don't want a lot of small stuff either. We don't want the guy to look like a poor gangsta. (Like having little money... I have nothing against gangtas, which is why I spell it gangsta).

Exceptions to this are robes and cloaks, simply because they are meant to cover a lot of area, and they are decorations in themselves.

As a final word, all DA are individual. They may all have some common themes amongst them, but they are all individual.

I am glad that one as talented as you are willing to listen to my words.

Nazerth
07-04-2010, 23:55
This is gonna be a really great army. And here I was just last week wondering what a pre-heresy Dark Angels army would look like. The finished marines are fantastic and the freehand on the drop pod door is amazing!

Love your Luther conversion and the enhanced knights integrated with the full marines is gonna be pretty cool, I look forward to more updates!

odmiller
08-04-2010, 00:02
Beautiful stuff. Really exciting to see such outstanding work. You're doing what I've always planned to do but never had the guts. Great stuff.

the_gobbo_king
08-04-2010, 00:06
Quick Question: Are you going to do Zahariel (sp?)? Because that would be awesome to have all the characters from the books...

TGK.

Deiex
11-04-2010, 01:45
Update:

As usual thank you everyone for the continued support and interest. I have been busy as of late with things concerning work. So I have not had as much time to achieve any critical progress on the Dark Angels. I have however got my hands on another camera (roommate's this time, so pics may appear different as I try again to learn a different camera).

the_gobbo_king:

I am indeed looking to include such characters as Zahariel. The time period I am looking at for the army’s composition is early days of the Dark Angels contribution to the Great Crusade, but previous to the events of Sarosh. So very early after leaving Caliban, this making Zahariel not yet a Librarian and Nemiel not yet a Chaplain. So in short Attias still has a face :p. Understandably I have taken some divergent from the fluff having the Lord Cypher running about with them, for I believe he stayed on Caliban to train new recruits when the Dark Angels first left to join the Crusade.

I am also looking to toy with the idea of including renditions of the Dark Angel Codex Special Characters as mere marines thru out the army such as Azrael being a Veteran Sergeant to a tactical squad and Asmodai being an assault marine. I am still a bit hesitant on this idea and not sure if it would be well received having these current characters appear in an army 10000 years in the past. Thoughts on this idea Warseer?

The current list of characters I’m looking to include is:
-Lion El' Johnson (represented by Captain Catro Sicarius rules)
-Luther (Command Squad Veteran)
-Nemiel (Tactical Marine)
-Zahariel (Tactical Marine)
-Attias (Tactical Marine)
-Sergeant Kohl (Veteran Sergeant Tactical Squad)
-Tech Marine Askelon (Command Squad Veteran)
-Marthes (Tactical Marine with Meltagun)
-Vardus (Tactical Marine with Heavy Bolter)
-Ephrial (Tactical Marine)
-Yung (Tactical Marine)
-Cortus (Tactical Marine)
-Titus (Iron Clad Dreadnought ~understand his load out is different than the novel, but will have magnets placed so I can switch this up as needed)

And if I do go with the idea of including the Dark Angel Codex Characters, the following would most likely make an appearance:
-Azrael (Veteran Sergeant Tactical Squad)
-Asmodai (Assault Squad Marine)
I guess would be all I really would include.

So on to the pictures. Like I said got a hold of a camera again so here is the promised detail shot of the drop pod mural:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/DropPodDoorDetail.jpg

Here are pics of the progress made, spoken of previously:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/DropPodDoorInterior.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Marine3.jpg
Not overly happy with the greenstuff work on the cloak, but it does the trick and will take from this when sculpting the cloaks on the next models.

So as Repentant Son has pointed out I have used Space Wolves parts in creating most of these models. I had in mind that with the amount of fighting that the Order did against the beasts of the wilds of Caliban that it would not be too unusual for these now Space Marines to have heirlooms such as pelts and bones/skulls. With this in mind and an idea to include marines from Terra as well, it would seem fitting to make them distinguished from the others. So my purchase this week:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Bitz.jpg

The Death Company seemed to prove perfect to represent armour for the Terran boys. Expect for these marines like Sergeant Kohl to be very proper in comparison to the Caliban Marines.

The Sanguinary Guard I could not pass up, as soon as I saw these models I told myself "I'm going to use bits from that kit to make me a Primarch".

Till next time.

Ridicule
13-04-2010, 19:22
I just realized something, Dark Angels wore black armour pre-heresy, the switched to dark green to separate themselves from the fallen, post heresy. Were you aware of this but ignored it? Either way they look great, I'm not raging :P I just got curious.

\/\/raithlord
13-04-2010, 20:29
Pre-heresy many Dark Angels that held favour with the Lion were permitted to wear a green armour pad, to represent ties to the lion and calaban.
Would it be so far to say that these Dark Angels, under direct command from the Lion and Luther were allowed to go further and be clad in green (ish) armour?

I really, really like those first two models that are painted (that artwork inspired me too). Can't wait to see more of them.

The Phazer
13-04-2010, 23:27
That's amazing man, really great stuff so far.

Phazer

Yayale
14-04-2010, 00:12
Wow, brilliant stuff. Just read through and a comment about the aquila on a chest plate made me think, I'm not sure if any of your models had them on, but pre heresy the only chapter allowed to wear the aquila was the Emperors Children.

I love the effort you have gone to with the free hand on the drop pod, looks great. I hope for your sanity that you don't plan on painting more than one or two of these!

sonofwaranddeath
14-04-2010, 02:09
Dear Lord man! Best painting I have seen! Not lying, the detail you put into that door is insane! Will other pieces in your army feature such fantastic bits of art?

Dio´Ra
14-04-2010, 02:25
Most awesome work, subscribed!

Magos Explorator
14-04-2010, 20:43
These guys look great; I'm looking forward to more drop pod updates in particular! Lots of character in here. You should swing by the pre-Heresy forum linked in my sig, the others there will love it too.

Dragoon King
14-04-2010, 23:34
The lion-headed bolter is insane!

Hadriel Caine
15-04-2010, 00:49
Well done. I was a DA player for 10 years. the new codex and the horus heresy books RUINED them for me.

You just made them cool again. Kudos.

sic
15-04-2010, 01:20
Great to see some pre heresy DA's especially done this well, nice work.

Son of the Lion
15-04-2010, 10:03
Update:

The Sanguinary Guard I could not pass up, as soon as I saw these models I told myself "I'm going to use bits from that kit to make me a Primarch".

Till next time.
Eeerie. I've been browsing bits sites thinking pretty much the same :p
Subscribed.

I love the robe effects, btw.

Deiex
16-04-2010, 05:45
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/We3.jpg

Intro:
As always greatly appreciate the support, some of the comments are downright flattering, thank you one and all. My apologies for any delay in updating, I have recently went from having nothing but free time too having close to none. So I have been getting in some progress where time allows, but on to the update. Oh ya, I also recently bought a camera of my own, so no more waiting to take new pictures!

Questions:

-Ridicule-
Indeed the Pre Heresy Dark Angels wore black armour as others have mentioned. I have attempted to represent this, but with a different twist. Instead of highlighting up from blacks with the typical greys to white I opted to work from black to a Catachan green up to white. I found this in my opinion to be of a softer highlight and give a familiar feel of green to the Dark Angels. So in all my intentions I am making their armour black, just in the process of highlighting I am taking a divergence from the typical. I hope this makes sense. Here is a picture to give you a comparison of the Pre Heresy and current chapter colours:
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Old-New.jpg
As VVraithlord has mentioned elements of the marines of the First Legion recruited from Caliban were honoured in wearing the green of Caliban. I have taken this in account with the Caliban marines of my army having their right shoulder pad thusly.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/GreenPauldron.jpg
It’s funny about the 1st legions armour colour, it was even spoken, almost as a legend now, that the reason for the Dark Angels being currently green was due to a mislabelled Salamander Space Marine back in the day.

-Yayake-
You are totally correct in that no other legion was allowed the aquila except the III Legion. And keen eye, none of my models will have it. I have cut off all I can find. So aquilas, razorbacks and anything else that did not see use Pre Heresy will not make an appearance. If anyone can tell me any other elements, equipment that was not used please feel free to let me know, I know there is more just cannot recall at this very moment.

On the details of the drop pod and my sanity, it's a yes and no. Yes I will hopefully only paint one drop pod (In the fact I hate the model for it assembles like $#!# and gives me nothing but headaches), and no it is not the last, as to answer sonofwaranddeaths question all my vehicles, Luthers Shield, and most likely Lion el'Johnsons armour will have simular mural details painted to them.

-Magos Explorator-
I have been too Great Crusade pre-heresy 40k forums before. Some of the stuff on there is where I got inspiration for modeling my terminators, and finding out elements from the Pre Heresy Era.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Terminators.jpg
I will have to post on there one day to say hello.

I seemed to have lost my train of thought, so till I find it again ill leave you with this preview of what I’m working on. Next time I promise I will give some actual blog content.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/TheLion.jpg

Till we meet again...

malika
16-04-2010, 08:04
Don't forget to change the Stormbolters into twin linked bolters. I mean, you are already putting so much detail in this project, would be a shame to see that part neglected...

precinctomega
16-04-2010, 08:17
Brilliant! And that sculpt of the lion looks fantastic.

R.

Saul Tarvitz
16-04-2010, 14:29
You've got some lovely looking models in here, I'm looking forward to seeing the route you go with the Lion.

A quick question, what are the things on the Terminator waists? I'm guessing the beginnings of robes and such?

Yodhrin
16-04-2010, 15:30
Excellent stuff, I find myself quite enamoured with your painting style, the models really do look as if they've leapt from the pages of Collected Visions.

The freehand work on your drop pod is also top-notch, have you had any formal art training or is that just practice?

mr gelmir
16-04-2010, 18:21
You gotta learn me how to paint like that, I really like your style.
I love the marines and the mural on the 'pod, I wish you all the courage you need to finish this army and good luck with your primarch.

Hammer49
17-04-2010, 09:06
Really like your idea behind this army. The models that have been done look great. Look forward to seeing how this army turns out!

leboe
17-04-2010, 09:29
Not only does this army look amazing , it sent my eldar packing home to the craftworld.

stahly
17-04-2010, 22:59
Really impressive work :)

Deiex
29-04-2010, 04:11
"I have been gone, but I have not forgotten."
In other words I have been finding it hard to find time to get around to the blog, but in no means am I going to forget about it. I am simply having too much fun with this. I presume once I get some other paint projects completed and things settle down a bit with the non-hobby life you will see posts more often.

malika:
Ah thank you! I almost forgot that one. As soon as I read your post I grabbed my hobby knife and cut off those storm bolters. Here is the current progress on the twin linked bolters. I left the rear section of the storm bolter and replaced the front with 2xbolt pistols with the rear section and handles removed. I thought about using bolters but thought it would make the gun very long and a little off balance in one hand. Still need some touch ups but it gives the general idea. And please if anyone can mention any other pre heresy limitations or items let me know.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/P1000045.jpg

Saul Tarvitz:
You are correct; the items on the terminators waists are the robes made with plastic card (very thin) which is the base structure. This will be built up with green stuff and green putty to form the final structure.

Yodhrin:
Art Training? I like to consider myself self-taught and a product of practice. I have been painting Warhammer since the age of 12, so going on 13 years of Warhammer goodness. Before this I was always infatuated with illustration, which I still am. So I have always been passionate about art. As far as any training I have the usual art classes in high school ( Mainly for an easy credit and a chance to earn a grade for doodling), and I have a half completed correspondent course from Joe Kubert’s school of comic book cartooning. So really nothing overly in the field of professional training. If you’re interested here is a link to my deviant art page: http://desmondng.deviantart.com/ I do not have too much of my current works up there, but gives you an idea.

leboe:
:D Yes, yes they did. Leboe here provided me with my first play test game. Luckily my list worked as I predicted (Which is good since I already started to build them at that point). I also played my second (and last time I played with the list) against Leboe's Flesh Terrors using the new Blood Angel book. This game against the Flesh Terrors ended in a draw. So so far the Pre Heresy Dark Angels are without a loss (knock on wood, and other such paranoid behaviours)

And again to all thank you for the support and kind words.

So for a little content:

Has anyone else came to the conclusion that they love the detail and variation that Forge World models give, but are left curious as to why we pay more for these models with poorer quality control than Games Workshops standard products? You would think a door I paid more for would fit without modifying the sculpted product? Well that is my rant, and by no means am I going to stop buying Forge World, just find it odd that the prestige product of Forge World does not have the same quality control that its parent company has. This is all in reference to the fact I have done some work on my Land Raider.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/DoorClosed.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/DoorOpen.jpg

With the use of my pin drill, and a couple staples I have hinged the doors so they can open and close. I was quite pleased with myself, after the difficulty I had with making the doors fit in the door slots.
I am hoping that after this weekend, so some time in the week after that I will be able to get my drop pod door tutorial done up. No promises though.

Thank you for tuning in.

Dragoonzero0
29-04-2010, 23:19
This stuff looks really nice so far. I really enjoy the atmosphere that the mini's create. There is a very dark mysterious feel to the models so far, very Dark Angels. It is hard to make your models emote like that and I think you are doing really well with it. Please keep posting! I can't wait to see more.

Yayale
29-04-2010, 23:44
Are the shoulder pads on the termies the standard ones? If so have you put them on the wrong way up to get that look? My other theory is are they infact dreadnough shin armour?

paspinall
29-04-2010, 23:57
Don't forget to change the Stormbolters into twin linked bolters. I mean, you are already putting so much detail in this project, would be a shame to see that part neglected...

Although having said Thousand Sons indicates that Storm Bolters and assault cannons are already coming in to the field before the Emperor returns to Terra.

Are the shoulder pads on the termies the standard ones? If so have you put them on the wrong way up to get that look? My other theory is are they infact dreadnough shin armour?

I think they are the dread shin armour.

Deiex
02-05-2010, 02:08

The shoulder pads as paspinall has pointed out are indeed Dreadnought shin armour. They are the ones provided on the Ravenwing accessory sprue.

In its entirety I used normal marine pads firstly on the shoulders to add an extra level of detail, then I placed the Dreadnought shin guards on top with the inside build components removed. For finishing I'm taking bits from various items that look the part to create the leather tassels that hang from the shoulder pads, which is seen on most pre heresy Termies.

paspinall: That is interesting on the note of Storm Bolters and Assault Cannons. I really need to catch up with my reading, still struggling through Mechanicum. I am finding Mechanicum a little boring ( I even took a break as to read Fallen Angels). But all in all I am still satisfied with the idea of modeling the Terminators with Twin linked Bolters, just good to know that if I have a Storm Bolter or Assault Cannon in the army once I decided to expand it remains fluffy( I guess Dreadnought Titus had an Assault Cannon in Fallen Angels).

One item I really want to know is if Razorbacks existed during the Pre Heresy era? My understanding is they did not, but during the Siege of Terra Jaghatai Khan rode out the gates upon one if memory serves? I really like the idea of the model just never bought one before, besides the 2nd edition one(And I am no longer planning to add to the boys in green with the new Pre Heresy Dark Angels in the works now) so I wish to know if it would fit (fluff wise) in a Pre Heresy Dark Angel army, for future expansions of the collection(getting a little ahead of myself) ?

Magos Explorator
02-05-2010, 09:15
As far as I know, Razorbacks were found after the Heresy (I want to say M36 but don't have a source to hand).

Warlord Nazgred
02-05-2010, 15:51
Looking good, just a few questions.

What marks of armour are you using?

How did you make the helmets?

And just incase you wanted to use house rules for the lion, I'll post some curtesy of Bolter and chainsword

Lion 'el Jonson.- Primarch of the Dark Angels Space Marine Legion.

Ws6 Bs6 S5 T5 W5 I8 A5 Ld10 Sv2+, 4+Inv

Equipment:
ARTIFICER ARMOUR: save included above.

LION SWORD: Created by skilled artisans and imprinted with part of the emperor's psychic powers, this weapon exists both in the material world and in the warp realm at the same time, providing it the ability to negate the powers of chaos and to truly destroy them. It counts as a master crafted power weapon. When fighting against any kind of daemon or miniature with a chaos mark or gift, this weapon negates any invulnerable save.

LION HELM: Supposed to be a craft from the dark age of technology and given as a gift by the emperor himself, this device feeds from Jonson's psychic energies and projects a force field all over him and some of his nearest men. He and all miniatures within 4" receive a 4+ invulnerable save.

MASTER CRAFTED BOLT PISTOL.

FRAG GRENADES.

Special Rules:
Warp Energy: The Primarchs were infused with latent psychic abilities. Much of their physical prowess was owed to these powers, especially their toughness. A Primarch can never be insta-killed by any existing rule. Also, each Primarch has a psychic ward providing him an invulnerable save taken in addition to any normal armor or invulnerable saves, this ward cannot be negated by any weapon. When a primarch must use this rule all of his other invulnarable saves will be ignored for the rest of the battle and the only one he can use is the one provided by Warp Energy; the damage received was so much the other devices or powers granting him an invulnerable save were overcharged.

Chaos Bane: Primarchs were anathema to Chaos entities, and their merest touch would cause daemons of the warp to cower in fear. A Primarch will always wound daemonic entities on a 3+ or better.

Vitality: The pure psychic energy channeled through the Primarchs enables them to recover lost strength and heal faster than even a Space Marine. At the start of his own turn an injured Primarch regains one wound on a roll of a 6. On a roll of 1 chaotic warp energies surrounding him will block his psychic healing; the Primarch wont be able to use this rule for the rest of the battle.

Leader of Men: Any friendly unit with LOS to at least one Primarch can re-roll failed Morale Checks (cumulative with items such as Imperial Guard standards). Space Marines from a Primarch's Legion can re-roll whether they have LOS or not, and may rally using "And they shall know no fear" (if applicable) even if the enemy is within 6".

Great hero of legend (Golden rule): The Primarch were powerful and legendary beings even in their own times. You can include a primarch in your army only if your opponent agrees and if you are playing a 3000+ points battle (excluding Primarch's cost). A Primarch will count as the two HQ options of the army. You can only play a Primarch with his own legion/chapter; if playing with two or more detachements, you can include an imperial guard army but you can only include one HQ at those other detachements. Your opponent will receive 500 free army points he can use in any way.

Historical errata: All games played using a Primarch must be labeled as 'historical'. If the odds are extremely bad and a Primarch is "killed" in a game it will be suppossed he just fell seriously wounded and with all of his strength exausted but still alive. Even if he is not technically killed, he will grant his victory points if defeated.

GREAT LEADER OF MEN: Jonson is capable of showing the humanity's golden age the emperor will bring to all with very little effort, raising the moral to everyone hearing him. He can convince anyone to make his role in the new age to come and die for this if it is needed. As long as Jonson remains in play all Dark Angels and allies are affected by a deep faith and pass all moral checks automatically, even those that would fail automatically.

MASTER TACTICS: All the years he spent at Caliban's in total solitude gave him a great inner understanding that made him to better understand the teachings given to him by the emperor and war master Horus, increasing the tactical skills he gained when battling alongside his brothers in The Order. When both players have finished to deploy their armies, the player using Jonson can re-deploy 1d6 units.

TACTICAL SQUAD: When Jonson knows he is about to face a fierce fight, he calls some of his most skilled men into his retinue. This squad consists from 5 to 9 veteran sergeants. All are equipped with a bolter or a close combat weapon and a bolt pistol. Each veteran sergeant can buy equipment from the space marine armory.

TACITURN FIGHTER: It is well known that Lion'el nearly never showed his feelings to others and rarely spoke �not worthy to be spoken� words. This made some people (specially Leman Russ) to think about him as a disdainful and arrogant person. When any opponent hits Jonson but before he rolling to wound, you can roll as many dice as many dice as the quantity of attacks he has or less, using Lion's WS against enemy's WS. For every success, Jonson dodges the attack and makes the opponent's to wound roll to fail automatically. Also, for every dodged attack, Jonson receives a �1A for the next close combat phase.

Psychic powers:
Having the fortune of being one of the first found primarchs, he received from the emperor great knowledge on the use of his psychic powers and the ways of the warp. Being not as skilled as his brother Magnus, he tried to make good use of the teachings given to him and by doing so he mastered 2 psychic abilities:

SPEED OF LION: This power combines a short sight of the near future and a psychic influenced physical upgrade. No psychic check is needed but his numbers of attacks are reduced by half, rounded down, for this turn. Jonson boots his initiative to 10 for this turn.

ROAR OF LION: With this power, Jonson focuses all the inner feelings he keeps deep in his heart and soul and never lets himself to show. All hatred, deception, hesitation, anger and fear is focused in his mind and then thrown away in the form of a very horrifying and potent psychic cry. This power has range of 24" and it makes one enemy unit to roll a leadership test with 4d6 or 3d6 for fearless units. If test is failed unit falls back automatically. If the unit is fearless or has rules protecting it from falling back, it cannot move or shoot in enemy's next turn, effect is chosen by you. Psychic check is needed.

If anyone needs the rules for the other primarchs pm me or they can be found here on the later pages along with legion rules clicky clicky (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=174&hl=pre-heresy)

shaw3029
02-05-2010, 19:46
Looking very very good indeed.

The Forgeworld Kits are a pain especially that Landraider kit.

Keeo up the great work, I look forward to seeing it finished!

paspinall
03-05-2010, 02:36
As far as I know, Razorbacks were found after the Heresy (I want to say M36 but don't have a source to hand).

they were M36, according to imperial armour 2 anyway.

khedyarl
03-05-2010, 10:06
Not only does this army look amazing , it sent my eldar packing home to the craftworld.

To be fair, Leboe, who hasn't? HAH!

Deiex
13-05-2010, 07:16
Well after a journey to Macragge I am back!

Thank you Magos Explorator and paspinall for answering my question on the Razorback. Kind of disappointed that this engine of war does not fit my time period but I kind of new this was the case going in, so no major loss. There is still so much I can play with.

Warlord Nazgred:
The marks of armour I am planning on using will be vaguely similar to Mk3 and Mk4 armour, but these will only be present on the Terra recruits as to distinguish them from the Caliban recruits (expect no robes on these Terra Marines). The Caliban recruits armour again is greatly inspired by the artwork seen in my first post. I believe this armour is the product of Caliban's forges as it has been noted that "The humans of Caliban had regressed to a feudal state, yet still retained sufficient technology to produce armour similar in appearance, if not quality, to Imperial Power Armour.". So in short, a Dark Angel unique design.

The Helms of the basic Caliban Marine was achieved by cutting away the top vent and mouth grill of a normal marine helmet, filling the mouth section with green stuff which is smoothed out to the shape of the helmet, and finally applying strips of plastic card to form the cross design seen on the helmets.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/HelmetProcess.jpg

The Sergeant Helmet is simply one of the helmets available on the Ravenwing accessory sprue with the top vent removed, green stuff used to form a peak on top of the helm, and finally wing details also from the Ravenwing sprue was added to the side of the helms after removing the sword detail.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/SeargentHelm.jpg

Wow Warlord Nazgred that is quite the amount of rules, but then again I guess we should not expect anything less for a Primarch. I will most definitely consider these for a casual game in the future.

And as usual thank you everybody for the kind words and support!
__________________________________________________ _______________

So as I mentioned I have been off to Macragge:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Ultramarines.jpg

This has been one of the main reasons I have been slow to update here. I have been doing some painting work for someone else and am currently over halfway thru a large Ultramarine army. This person is quite literally awesome, and after this large batch of Ultramarines he is ok that I take a break as to get my 1850pt Pre Heresy Dark Angels on the table in time for the Edmonton’s Out of The Basement Gaming Group's second annual "It Came From out of The Basement" Tournament (http://www.outofthebasementgaming.webs.com/). However I am on a tight schedule as the tournament is scheduled for the 3rd and 4th of July. Wish me luck and expect more updates more often.

I leave you now with a “In The Works” look of one of my objective markers, let the rivalry begin :D

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/ObjectiveMarkerSpaceWolf.jpg

Oh and PS: Thunder Sword!

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/ThunderSword.jpg

khaosBlizzard
13-05-2010, 23:59
Oh and PS: Thunder Sword!

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/ThunderSword.jpg

thats soooo nasty! thunderhammer count as?

Deiex
16-05-2010, 05:44
khaosBlizzard

thats soooo nasty! thunderhammer count as?
13-05-2010 01:16

Yes sir, you are correct. In the idea of staying with the sword motif that Dark Angels seem to have, I thought this would make a perfect equivalent for a Thunder Hammer.
__________________________________________________ _______________

So with a break in contract work, and a tournament looming close in the future I really need to get serious on getting this army up and running. With this in mind let’s see where I am at with the army at the moment:

The Lion

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/TheLionPIC2.jpg

Base Structure green stuff work is well on its way. I have some brown stuff ready to go for detail work once this is all done. (As I understand it brown stuff holds edges/details better) I have extended the Lion sword; as the bit taken from the Cypher model is suppose to be only half the sword.

Command Squad

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/CommandSquad.jpg

Squad is almost completely built, just have some green stuff work to complete and add some holsters, grenades, and other accessories.0/5 complete.

Sergeant Kohl's Tactical Squad

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/TacticalKohl.jpg

Is almost at a similar state as the command squad, due to needing less conversion work from having a larger quantity of Terran marines in its ranks.(Terran Marines are not getting the robe/hood get up) 1/10 completed. Drop pod for unit is still in pieces with only the one door completed.

Sergeant Azreal's Tactical Squad

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/TacticalAzreal.jpg

Still needs a fair bit of construction work, close to no green stuff work has been done on the unit. 1/10 Completed.

Sergeant Melekye's Assault Squad

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/AssaultSquad.jpg

Similar state as Azreal's squad, also, still need to purchase the Rhino for the squad. 0/10 Complete

Sergeant Desekyle's Devastator Squad

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Devastator.jpg

Again same as above I need green stuff work, and parts. 1/5 complete.

The Rest

The Dreadnoughts arms have been magnetized so I can swap out weapons in the future. He is just waiting for paint now.

The Terminators are still as they were when I last posted them, only difference is they now have twin linked Bolters.

Land Raider is still in pieces. Need to paint up the interior before I can finish the build.

And lastly I still only have the wounded Space Wolves marine done up for an objective, although I have ideas for 2 more. If time allows it I am hoping on drawing up an army list cover and build a display board.

khaosBlizzard
16-05-2010, 07:32
in the command squad pic; the guy with all of the servo skulls; whats his heads from?

Saul Tarvitz
16-05-2010, 12:46
Ravenwing sprue I'd say.

These guys are looking ace Deiex! I love the concept of the Thundersword, especially the one in the Command Squad being carried in the Cloud Strife fashion, nonchalantly across a shoulder.

the damned artificer
16-05-2010, 13:05
Lovely army, no doubt about it !
And the Lion himself looks really good, only thing I might dislike is the sort of double handguard on his sword, I think it'll look better if you remove the plastic guard or replace it with another hand and just snatch that long shaft from this one. Minor detail I know but your models are so great and it is those kinds of little details that I think your hard work deserves :) Btw is he wearing a hood over his hair or is it just my imagination ??
Can't wait to see some more stuff from you :D

TomG
16-05-2010, 13:07
They are from Devastator Squad sprue and this one with cables is from Cadian Command Sprue.

Impressive army.

Warlord Nazgred
16-05-2010, 13:54
Wow it's looking good, any chance of a scale shot of the lion?

thanks
Nazgred

Hadriel Caine
16-05-2010, 14:52
Just Stop. Please. I sold all my Dark Angels cos I don't like them anymore. You make me want to do a whole new army and that will be expensive (please don't stop).

Deiex
16-05-2010, 18:47
khaosBlizzard

The model with all the servo skulls head is from the Ravenwing accessory sprue. Good eye Saul Tarvitz. TomG you are also correct as to where I got all the servo skulls :D

the damned artificer

only thing I might dislike is the sort of double hand guard on his sword, I think it'll look better if you remove the plastic guard or replace it with another hand and just snatch that long shaft from this one.

I 100% agree with you. I took your advice and removed the winged hand guard, and kept the Lion Sword hand guard.

Btw is he wearing a hood over his hair or is it just my imagination ??

Yep there is indeed a hood on him, I took a new picture hopefully it is a bit more clear in this one. I included one of the finished models as well to give a sense of scale for you Warlord Nazgred.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Lionscale.jpg

Hadriel Caine
my apologies and um :D

BeatTheBeat
16-05-2010, 18:51
The Lion is made of whatever God made sex from...

Keep it up,
BTB

Radium
16-05-2010, 18:54
Great stuff! And the Lion looks amazing, even though I think he could use some beefier arms ;). Not sure you should change that though, as it would probably mean having to redo a lot more than just the arms.

Anyway, keep it up! Looking forward to seeing some more of this!

TomG
16-05-2010, 19:07
Much better Lion than this metal one, that looks like Mr. Pissoir.

the damned artificer
16-05-2010, 19:30
It looks much better now dude :)
Will he be having a great big flowing cape or some robes as well ?? And hows 'bout guns ?? :P

Yayale
20-05-2010, 13:57
The lion looks good, he's quite slender in build, but i think this adds to his graceful but deadly look. Thumbs up from me :D

Deiex
22-05-2010, 18:00
Thank you Warseers! i am glad that my version of Lion El' Johnson is being well recieved.

Radium: He is most definitly getting beefer arms, nothing to extreme. just a slight increase in mass.

the damned artificer: I will indeed be adding a robe simular to that which the Caliban marines are getting, in fact....

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/LionProgress.jpg

Should give you a good Idea of the next set of details I am working on for him. There is still so much detail work to do on him, so by no means is he close to being completely built.

For a gun I was thinking on the lines of a ornate Caliban pistol that can pass as a plasma pistol (Since I'm using Cato Sicarius Rules). Although if there is something in the fluff regarding a gun that the Lion used please tell me. Whatever I end up coming up with it will most likely be holstered by his hip.

Hoarmurel
22-05-2010, 18:29
Awesome army!

I like specially the way you paint the minis, it's not a perfect style, but is great and unique.

Keep it up! :)

alders
22-05-2010, 20:22
omfg. ive juuuust read decent on angles so this is wicked!!! i LOVE the lion, omg looks wicked cannot wait for him to be finished!!!!!

the damned artificer
22-05-2010, 21:07
Ohh yeah those robes rock dude :D I agree on the arms, they should be e bit beefier maybe you could ad some lion face decoration or something similar :)

Trukson
22-05-2010, 21:51
Wow man....just wow

Bladelord
23-05-2010, 00:10
I'm a big fan of your approach to Pre-Heresy Dark Angels - knights of Calibans with Cadian torsos, difference between Terran and Caliban recruits, helmets, robes, painting, and of course mister El'Jonson! It's all up to my taste, with all its thought-through tweaks and little backstories, and best of all is that it's well executed, too!

If you fancy some of those ol' Mark (Mk. IV?) round-rivetted shoulder pads/leg guards, just find some small glass pearls, mark out the rivets' positions, drill a very shallow hole and make it into a small crater with a pin vice, large enough to super glue the glass pearl into place. Of course, I think you already know this, but it's interesting to see different persons' take on the various armour Marks.

Best of luck. :)

Mega Nutz
23-05-2010, 00:26
Fantastic looking force, detail and execution is amazing!

unarmedoracle
24-05-2010, 06:32
Des?

Egad man, these are amazing. I love the robes and ... just ... everything. The poses and dimensions completely capture 'men in armour,' which is something that's lost with most marines, somehow. I also really appreciate the distinction between Terran legionnaires and Calibanian(?) knights.

Dannage
24-05-2010, 07:33
What are you doing? Stop wasting time posting here and get on with modelling that brilliant army. No... Wait... Stop wasting time modelling and finish painting that brilliant army... No... Wait.. Stop wasting time painting, and take more photos of that brilliant army... No.. Wait... Stop wasting time taking photos and post more here about your brilliant army...

Repeat ad Infinitum.

Subscription Guaranteed.

Petay1985
24-05-2010, 09:56
These are some of the best pre heresy dark angels i've seen, well done, your lion conversion/sculpt is fantastic, looking forward to seeing more.

Shadow Fall
24-05-2010, 16:00
loving the marines...

keep it up :D

SF :chrome:

Breazer
24-05-2010, 18:44
this looks awesome....you really got the look of the old dark angels....great stuff

El Aartos
24-05-2010, 18:53
Sheet, this is impressive stuff man. How many golden daemons did you win with the drop pods? Don't tell me you don't have any..
Your terminators look also very good. How did you make the super broad shoulder pads? I see the design returning all the time in various threads.
Keep it up man, I want to see some more!

Deiex
24-05-2010, 19:54
As always thank you for the comments. I must say I really enjoying the creative comments I am getting, literally putting a smile on my face and giving me a great amount of motivation. Thank you.

Now to the give answers/clarifications:

the damned artificer

maybe you could ad some lion face decoration or something similar

You read my mind; I’m looking at adding some more lion motifs on the model here and there, as well as adding more detail to the armour design to give it more definition. I also added his power pack now (and by all means he is still nowhere near done)

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/LionwithBackpack.jpg

N0th1ng c4n b34t 3lv3s

If you fancy some of those ol' Mark (Mk. IV?) round-rivetted shoulder pads/leg guards, just find some small glass pearls, mark out the rivets' positions, drill a very shallow hole and make it into a small crater with a pin vice, large enough to super glue the glass pearl into place. Of course, I think you already know this, but it's interesting to see different persons' take on the various armour Marks.

Thank you for the suggestion, I was contemplating doing some MK5 Heresy Pattern armour (as by current space marine codex), but was not sure if it fit in the time period I was looking to represent (being early crusade for the Dark Angels after discovering Lion El' Johnson, and pre events of Sarosh). If someone could help me out with this that would be great! And if it does fit, where would one find such glass pearls?

unarmedoracle

Des?

Yes sir it is me, glad to hear you like what I have done. You will have to send me a link to some of the stuff you have done, I have heard good things about some Rogue Trader Marines.

El Aartos

Sheet, this is impressive stuff man. How many golden daemons did you win with the drop pods? Don't tell me you don't have any..

I currently have less than one (in other words zero) Golden Daemons. Never been to a GT, although I have won silver in a Golden Gobbo Contest in Edmonton last year with a beastmen model (I'll post a pick later). The drop pod itself is still not done, I am hoping to get it done today (eeee big hope) so no daemons for it.

How did you make the super broad shoulder pads? I see the design returning all the time in various threads.
Keep it up man, I want to see some more!

The shoulder pads are dreadnought shin guards from the ravenwing accessory sprue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So for today I have a few picks of the progress made yesterday. I apologise before hand on the lighting, it is somewhat poor due to me taking the picks in a hurry.

First up another Caliban marine showing some flesh.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Marine4.jpg

The first completed Terran marine wearing a variation of Mk3 armour (as I feel even in the mk's there should be variation)
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Marine5.jpg

Work on the Rhino
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Rhinodoorclosed.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/RhinoDoorOpen.jpg

That is all for now. I have the day free today so hoping to get much more done today as well. Priority to the drop pod, wish me luck.

Warlord Nazgred
24-05-2010, 20:43
Wow looking good, it's nice to see some of the marines getting a lick of paint. Oh and is it just me or does the lion look an awfull lot beefier, I think it does and I just can't quite put my finger on why that is. Can anyone tell me why this is? BTW I think he looks alot better beefier. Keep up the good work! :D

Dannage
24-05-2010, 21:39
Heh, when I thought of using a dreadnought shin guard for my emperor, I thought I was an amazing genius who found an obvious choice nobody else had thought of. And then I saw about ten different people had done it... before me... Heh heh. :)

Excellent Greenstuff skills. Cant wait to see the lion even just undercoated for a coordinated look of the overall model...

PrimeMinisterSinister
24-05-2010, 22:34
Good call with the variation within armours. I always figured armour didn't have matching parts for very long; it would get damaged too often and had to be repaired a lot.
Great work, brother.

the damned artificer
24-05-2010, 22:59
If you are doing an early crusade army it'll limit you to using mark I, II and III as the mark IV was introduced shortly before the heresy and mark V was a design rushed through because production of the mark IV armour was interrupted due to the heretic forces capturing and destroying a big part of the forge world that was supplying the astartes.
Hope this helps :D The Lion seems to get bigger and bigger and I love it :p

Deiex
26-05-2010, 03:01
the damned artificer

If you are doing an early crusade army it'll limit you to using mark I, II and III as the mark IV was introduced shortly before the heresy and mark V was a design rushed through because production of the mark IV armour was interrupted due to the heretic forces capturing and destroying a big part of the forge world that was supplying the astartes.

Thank you for this, that helps me out a lot, and solidifies my decisions.

And again as usual thank you everyone for the comments.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what I have here is a presentation for one of the earlier requests:

Drop Pod Mural Step by Step

1) Firstly I apply Astronomican Grey to the surface.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/DropPodTutorial1.jpg

2) With Adeptus Battlegrey I free hand a silhouette of my envisioned concept.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/DropPodTutorial2.jpg

3) Then mixing up with white details/depth is added to the image.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/DropPodTutorial3.jpg

4) The whole thing is then drowned in a sea of Devlan Mud wash. It is after all on the outside of a drop pod. To dry the door is placed at about a 30% angle to let the wash concentrate more towards the bottom of the surface.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/DropPodTutorial4.jpg

5) Lastly Black is applied along the bottom of the surface in streaks to mimic re-entry burns. Cracks and other defects are created again with black, and a second coat of Devlan mud is added in the lower half if needed. Astronomican grey is again used for edge highlights mixed up to white.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/DropPodTutorial5.jpg

Hope this helps in giving a insight into my technique.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now I leave you with the progress made yesterday (beyond the work I did get done on the drop pod)

Sergeant Kohl:
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/SrgtKohl.jpg

Dannage
26-05-2010, 07:22
Cripes. I hope you don't have many drop pods in your army!

The guy with the sword looks funky and (comparatively) modern for your army, but he still looks cool, and his face is brilliantly done. My own face is just green at the moment.

If we're helping you make decisions based on pre-heresy stuffage, then worth remembering two points. 1, the Marine Legions had access to superheavy tanks. 2, The Assault Cannon wasn't widely used, they often used Auto Cannons instead. I have a sneaking suspicion you would make a super heavy tank look ridiculously good!

eltanko
26-05-2010, 10:48
Kohl looks superb, a very grizzled veteran! Though I think his Chaplain needs to pull him up on that stubble!!

ElTanko

Deiex
27-05-2010, 02:58
Dannage:

Cripes. I hope you don't have many drop pods in your army!

For now there is only the one in my 1850pt list. I am however planning to keep expanding the army beyond this. Drop pods are really not my favourite model to put together, but I might venture this model again down the road (not eagerly though lol).

the Marine Legions had access to superheavy tanks

I had no idea, guess I should really finish reading more of my books(So they had Legion operated Bane Blades?). That is most definitely something I will consider once I have the army at a reasonable size. Thank you for letting me know. Also I will indeed be using assault cannons sparingly.

eltanko:

Though I think his Chaplain needs to pull him up on that stubble!!

Fluff wise were marines strictly clean shaven? Just curious, I really want to play the fluff on this army, so please let me know. Kohl just seemed the type of character that would have a 4 o'clock shadow, but if marines were strict about this that changes things.

So here is yesterday's model of the day:

Lord Cypher keeper of Secrets
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/LordCypher-1.jpg

Expect a model about everyday, as that seems to be my deadline.

dr.oetk3r
27-05-2010, 03:23
I really like your painting style.

aRieL'kaze
27-05-2010, 03:26
Dannage:

I had no idea, guess I should really finish reading more of my books(So they had Legion operated Bane Blades?). That is most definitely something I will consider once I have the army at a reasonable size. Thank you for letting me know. Also I will indeed be using assault cannons sparingly.

the Space Marine Bane Blade was called Fellblade and had the Colors of the Legion...

leboe
27-05-2010, 08:26
the best part of teh one model a night deal , I get to break out teh whip when he falls behind.

and Lord cypher looks awesome .

Dannage
27-05-2010, 09:21
I only really know from some old pictures in White Dwarf Magazines from yesteryear and the fugitives rules packs. From what I recall, the picture (Around about WD113) was of an Ultramarines army, and it included what looked like a bandeblade, but using the round turrets you used to get on the original -original- Predator Tank.

I think people at our Heresy era events just used standard baneblade kits and painted em up for the legion!

As for stubble, I reckon you're only expected to be clean shaven before a battle. If it goes on for more than 6 hours, I'd expect them all to have beards! They do have flaky enhanced over-growth hormonal imbalance after all. :D

Aenarion
27-05-2010, 12:11
Superb, you really make me want too do some pre-heresy DA's now. Loving the mural on the pod, will have to give that ago.

salvindogath
27-05-2010, 16:24
Amazing. Totally amazing!!! And your rendition of the primarch is the best i've seen!!

I'll be following this with GREAT interest!!

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
27-05-2010, 22:09
Drop Pod Mural Step by Step

That's fantastic. Yoink, danke, et cetera.

Coltaine
27-05-2010, 23:00
I really like your painting style.

I second this. Some may critisize it looks messy if looked at meticulously ( not me! ), but imho its not messy, its just a unique style that finishes in an amazing way. I liken the style to art found in graphic novels, except you have made it 3D, and on marines, what could be better!!
I really enjoyed the 2nd Dark Angels HH book, and your figures are bringing images from that to life for me.

Stubble on marines ? Of course. When at war, personal appearance isnt a priority. Wargear > All. Once back on the ship though, break out the power knife, and start shaving, unless you are a Dog Soldier =P

I just want to finish by saying that your Lion'el model is looking fantastic. Up there in my favorites for Primarch models, which is saying something considering im not a huge DarkAngels fan ( Sneaky gits =P ). I think Regluc, from over at B&C would even grin at this one. One suggestion on the model ( Since you love ideas ), not all detail needs to be green stuffed. You have an amazing skill with a brush, and some of the armour ornamentation could be painted on. maybe. its an idea =)

Looking forward to more!

Deiex
28-05-2010, 06:35
Great stuff guys, thank you very much for clarifications, ideas, and support, keep it coming :D.

aRieL'kaze+Dannage

Thanks for the details on the FellBlades, I am getting pumped on this concept and will most definitely have to do one up after a couple other projects I have planned for the first legion.(Tournament Army first)

Dannage

I think people at our Heresy era events just used standard baneblade kits and painted em up for the legion!

Heresy era events?

Coltaine

I liken the style to art found in graphic novels, except you have made it 3D, and on marines, what could be better!!

LOL you hit one of my biggest influences on the head, it's very cool that this actually translated over into my painting, this pleases me greatly. LOL make mine Marvel :D nuff said.

I think Regluc, from over at B&C would even grin at this one. One suggestion on the model ( Since you love ideas ), not all detail needs to be green stuffed. You have an amazing skill with a brush, and some of the armour ornamentation could be painted on. maybe. its an idea =)

Regluc? Sorry I am unaware of whom this is, enlightenment? And yes by all means I love ideas. Painting on details is most definitely a valid point, one thing that I have planned for the Lion is the depiction of the Lion's conflict with the Calibanian Lion across his chest armour; this I would most definitely thinking of painting.

So I will most likely bore you guys to the bone with this model a day thing, so I will try and change it up to keep interest, but for now here is the model of the day :D:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Marthes.jpg

And some work on the Dreadnought (Arms are magnetized, and the torso is not glued in place yet, so still time to position/pose better):
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/DreadnoughtTitus.jpg

Mega Nutz
28-05-2010, 07:33
Truely inspiring stuff!!

Commander Zane
28-05-2010, 09:50
this is some great looking stuff youv made, im not really into dark angels but your work is crazy good, will be good to see all that stuff finished

Ridicule
28-05-2010, 11:08
I don't think it's boring with one-figure-a-day-updates. The single figures look so darn good I don't mind :) Keep up the good work, can't wait to see that Dreadnaught all painted up ^^

Dannage
28-05-2010, 16:25
Heresy era events?

There is a group called the Tempus Fugitives, who run 3 events per year at Warhammer World. These are campaign weekends and differ from tournaments mainly in that there is more narrative, and less 'prizes for the winner' sort of mentality. Gives people like Apologist a good opportunity to bring their models and show em off.

They are heading for the 4th linked event, under the "Age of the Emperor" banner. The first was the great crusade, with everyone going out and unifying the Imperium. The second was the Horus Heresy, the third (we just did) was the Siege of Terra (effectively ending the Horus Heresy) and the upcoming event is the Scouring, where the newly broken down legion-chapters try and reunite the imperium... again..

</shameless plug>

I should add I'm not part of the events team, but I help out now by making occasional special models, hence the Leviathan and hence Horus' throne room.. links in my sig... wait, I ended the shameless plug didn't I? :)

</threadjack>

Ah, that's better.

I think we'll only get bored with your model a day when they stop being great. Not bored yet.

shaw3029
28-05-2010, 18:29
The army is looking great so far, How about a pic of everything together...

Coltaine
28-05-2010, 23:49
A model a day is great, not getting bored from me. Though i do say variation is the spice of life =) So if you wanna change things up, by all means =P

Regluc is a person who posts models on B&C, and his focus is mostly Primarchs. Hes done some great interpretations of them, at least 3 different versions of Angron & Magnus, and a host of others. Worth checking out =)

Now, stop reading our posts, and paint more models for us to drool over =P

Deiex
29-05-2010, 19:12
Thanks for the clarifications/info Dannage and Coltaine.

Model of the day (For the last 2 days, a couple of Terran marines):

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/TerranMarines.jpg

shaw3029:

As for your request...

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/GroupShotDarkAngels.jpg

richy376
29-05-2010, 19:37
I'm really enjoying this thread, your painting style and the conversions make for a very interesting army. Each figure is individual, which I think adds to the look of the force as a whole.

Thanks for the freehand tutorial on the drop pod door as well, great stuff.

Hammer49
30-05-2010, 10:28
Your marines are looking fantastic. I really like your bases, and how you have done the bareheaded SMs.

OnnO
30-05-2010, 12:57
Very, very nice.
My only gripe is that the sgt. seems to be leaning/falling backwards in that last picture.... it could be its only optical illusions though :)
Lovely, lovely work, especially the Calibanites.

Tommygun
30-05-2010, 13:07
That army is extremely full of character, Deiex.

Nazerth
30-05-2010, 15:48
This log literally gets better every day :)

I love the distinction between the Terran marines and the Caliban ones, even in pose it seems. The Terran ones seem more regal, standing taller and proud (as they damn well should, being the 1st Legion and having fought at the Emperor's side!) and the Caliban ones seem less blooded, but a little wilder as though they need to rush to the forefront to prove themselves. If you intended this, awesome, if not, well, its still pretty awesome :D

Deiex
30-05-2010, 20:16
I am glad that people are still enjoying my modeling/painting. Thank you for the posts, checking this blog for replies has really helped me get thru doing a model a day.

richy376

Thanks for the freehand tutorial on the drop pod door as well, great stuff.

No problem, I'm glad people liked it. If anyone wants to see any other tutorials on how I do something just post a request and I will do my best to get it up here eventually.

OnnO

My only gripe is that the sgt. seems to be leaning/falling backwards in that last picture....

I have noticed that myself with Srgt. Kohl from certain angles (mainly when looking at him from the back) I’m hoping that if I cut the foot off and have it re-positioned on the base it will help. I was trying to have him appear to be in a back stance, something more defensive. I will have to wait till after everything is done first (Probably after the Tournament) to try correcting this, cannot afford to back track right now.

Nazerth

The Terran ones seem more regal, standing taller and proud (as they damn well should, being the 1st Legion and having fought at the Emperor's side!) and the Caliban ones seem less blooded, but a little wilder as though they need to rush to the forefront to prove themselves. If you intended this, awesome, if not, well, its still pretty awesome

I am glad that this has come across visually. It has been my belief that the Terrans and Calibanites would fight/carry themselves differently, being trained worlds away (The Order/ Space Marine boot camp :p). This distinction would especially be present in the timeline I'm basing this army around (My own opinion). There are some similar elements that I'm trying to spread between the distinct groups, like the tightly braided hair (as mentioned in Fallen Angels). This is something to signify the building of comradeship, and exchange of culture between the groups.

So here is what I was able to accomplish yesterday and a bit this morning:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/DarkAngelDreadnoughtIronClad.jpg

Mega Nutz
30-05-2010, 20:35
Simply oustanding...........................!!

That group shot and the dread are superb.

the-skylord
30-05-2010, 20:42
This army is simply awesome!

The tutorial was great, I may try it at some point on my DA landraiders.

the damned artificer
30-05-2010, 21:10
The squad looks so great, and I love that you've mixed it with terran marines :D And I see a little mkIV helmet has sneaked it's way in there ;P I don't blame you as they are pretty damn awesome ! Hehe
The dread is amazing, and I like that you didn't go for the actual pre heresy design as they don't look that good to me :)

BeatTheBeat
30-05-2010, 21:25
In...
Cred...
Ible...

I'm blown away by that dread. 'Nuff said. Keep it up, you're an inspiration!

Cheers,
BTB

Deiex
01-06-2010, 05:08
So just a really quick update, yesterday I was able to get ahead a bit by getting 2 models done, unfortunately I've been feeling ill all day today so I was unable to get anything done. So I guess I will have to try and pump out 2 models tomorrow as to keep my pace (as it is I have to double up on the weekends to meet my deadline). But here they are the products of Sunday:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/heavybolterandfriend.jpg

And again sorry for the hasty post.

Coltaine
01-06-2010, 05:47
Simply fantastic models Deiex. The dread is all kinds of awesome.
Please, dont burn yourself out trying to keep to your deadline. Just keep posting picks at a healthy pace so the rest of us can get our fix for the rest of our lifes =P

Looking forward to more.

Ridicule
01-06-2010, 13:47
The Devestator marines look great, love the H.Bolter marine, he looks wicked ^^

Solun Decius
01-06-2010, 16:17
Wow! I just love all the attention you're giving the fluff details on these models. The Terran Marines would at that time be a huge portion of the army and some of the most senior ones so having that Terran Sergeant there is a great touch.
The robes on the Calibanese Marines are really well done, some hoods up, some down and much movement and life in them, and the old Mk helmets are convincing.

Considering the amount of conversions and the standard of painting you've also been pretty quick finishing the group you've got already. I hope we'll be seeing constant regular updates here in the future.
Your sizeable DA collection is impressive but I have no doubt this will be your coolest army yet!

Deiex
03-06-2010, 02:21
So back after a hiatus which I have deemed “food poisoning” I'm back on track with a model a day.

This model is my attempt at putting a face to Nemiel, was not overly happy with some of the paints, but it does the trick for now. He also finishes off the first tactical squad! So yay we are about 28% done the tourney list with 14 models completed out of 50.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Nemiel.jpg

I also just came to the conclusion that in all this painting I have forgotten about getting some more models built to completion, going to run out of models to paint if I do not reprimand this. So a model a night changes to painting a model and completely building a model a night. :D

PrimeMinisterSinister
03-06-2010, 02:37
Seriously, you're doing great work. The new guy looks like he's jumping back and firing to me, john Woo style

the-skylord
03-06-2010, 09:30
The models still look great, as others have said, this is one of the best pre-heresy DA armies I've ever seen.

On the food poisoning (http://www.sheldoncomics.com/archive/100601.html), this might cheer you up! (If you read forward it should cover everything!)

deadly claris
03-06-2010, 23:38
holy dick sooo much awesomenes

Deiex
04-06-2010, 02:18
Thank you for the kind words.

the-skylord
That web comic is hilarious, makes me feel much better since that little duck had it by far worse than me :D

As Coltaine has said
Though i do say variation is the spice of life =) So if you wanna change things up, by all means =P Here is the model of the day.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Terrminator.jpg

Thought I would do a terminator model for a change of pace.

Solun Decius
04-06-2010, 02:32
And the terminator is no less awesome than the PA marines.
Very cool paint job and extremely nice and detailed conversion!

BeatTheBeat
04-06-2010, 08:14
I can't help but be amazed at the rate at which you're churning these out. The terminator looks great, as does the rest of the army. I know I've said it before, but you perfectly capture how I think pre heresy DA should look! Amazing work as always.

Cheers,
BTB

Dannage
04-06-2010, 08:17
Much appredciation for both the termie and the web comic. :)

Petay1985
04-06-2010, 10:30
There really are fantastic fella, great conversions and excellent painting. any more progress on the lion?

Coltaine
04-06-2010, 11:58
Just wanna add to the compliments man. That Terminator was like you pulled a picture from my mind as I was reading Fallen Angels. Please dont burn out :evilgrin:

Bump for any updates about the Lions progress ?

Oh, almost forgot to ask, any chance for a recipe on how you painted the checks on his ( Termie ) legs?

Hammer49
04-06-2010, 18:51
The terminator and dreadnought look superb.

Lt.Rasczak
04-06-2010, 19:53
Everything looks amazing. You have captured the spirit of the Collected Visions artwork very well. I tip my hat to you sir! Keep up the good work.

Deathwing
04-06-2010, 20:23
That's awesome! I hope to see it at the Out of the Basement tournament if I attend.

leboe
05-06-2010, 02:20
Oh , no worries on that last one , Deiex will be at the out of the basement tourney wiht a full painted army ... even if i have ot chain him to his wokrspace in his man cave and beat him when he slows down!

ChaplainOrion
05-06-2010, 03:39
Great job on the terminator. How did you do it?

Deiex
05-06-2010, 05:56
Lol I almost forgot to post today. You will be happy to know though that this is due to me getting caught up in painting. My gratitude for this forums continued support has no bounds, again thank you. So questions:

Petay1985

any more progress on the lion?

Coltaine

Bump for any updates about the Lions progress ?

Sorry guys, I have not done anymore work on Lion El'Johnson since I last posted him. But as my one friend has pointed out, I should try and get the minimum requirements finished first just in case I can't make the deadline, at least then I will be legal still (I'll finish I'll finish, just a precautionary step, do not want Leboe's wrath :D). So that means after this next tactical squad is done I will get the Lion and the rest of the command squad finished.

Coltaine

Oh, almost forgot to ask, any chance for a recipe on how you painted the checks on his ( Termie ) legs?

ChaplainOrion

Great job on the terminator. How did you do it?

I will make a note of these requests and next time I do a terminator I will do a step by step up, for both assembly and painting the checks. I am more than happy to do more tutorials.

So now that model a day I promised this forum:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/PlasmaGunner.jpg

It seems I only been posting one pic per post, this is lame. So I have decided to mend this with more content per post (hopefully):

As I mentioned before when asked about Golden Demons, I have never won one, but I have won silver in a Golden Gobbo contest at Fracus last year in Edmonton. This was my Silver winning entry:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/BeastmenSilverGoldenGobbo.jpg

Thought it would be fitting to leave this post with a picture of my other moral support group, and my nemesis’s (I'm sure you can figure out which is which).

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/DarkAngelsDoneJune4.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/ModelsRemainingJune4.jpg

the damned artificer
05-06-2010, 08:16
I get so excited everytime you post new pics :D Is the dark robed figure with the shiny backpack, next to Cypher, Luthor ?? He looks a bit dark and gritty just as I'd imagine the one who betrayed the Lion would look :D

Dronevil
05-06-2010, 15:39
Wow, very impressive. Especially looking forward to seeing the finished Lion.

tonsoffun02
05-06-2010, 19:17
Models looks ******* amazing! Cant wait to see them at the out of the basement tourny. Hopefully u can meet the deadline ;p Have a good one

Deiex
05-06-2010, 22:40
the damned artificer

Is the dark robed figure with the shiny backpack, next to Cypher, Luthor ?? He looks a bit dark and gritty just as I'd imagine the one who betrayed the Lion would look

You got it right, lol I was wondering if someone would notice I snuck him in that pic. So here he is Luther:

"Gleaming armour of black and gold forged in the close fitting calibanite fashion rather than the larger bulkier crusader pattern suits of astartes..."

" a curved adamantine combat shield bearing the insignia of a calibanite wyrm..."

"Nightfall a hand and a half power sword...."

"winged great helm heavy black cloak"

Heroe of Caliban

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/DarkAngelLuther.jpg

For some added content here is what I have done this morning, and hope to complete by the end of the day (or early hours of the morning):

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/LandRaiderInterior1.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/LandRaiderInterior2.jpg

Mega Nutz
05-06-2010, 23:30
Utter brilliance!!

khaosBlizzard
05-06-2010, 23:33
i love the work you do. It almost looks like Luthor has a cadian chest plate?

noeste
05-06-2010, 23:42
Whew!
Must say I really love following your plog, the way you're making each miniature unique is inspiring to say the least! And not only that, you're bløødy good at what you're doing!

So thank you for sharing, both your finished work, tutorials and your hints and tips - know that I'll continue to keep a keen eye out for new updates!

Techmarine
06-06-2010, 00:18
You have a really great painting style. It's very unique.

bp.
06-06-2010, 00:37
Luther looks stunning, the whole figure just oozes brilliance - loving the shield as well!! :D

Solun Decius
06-06-2010, 13:08
Luthor's combat shield is exquisite! The rest of him super cool too of course. I'm looking forward to seeing that Land Raider finished, you seem to let no detail go unpainted :D

GabrielEvander
06-06-2010, 19:43
Those models are absolutely breath taking!
If you wouldn't mind how did you make those thunder swords?

alders
06-06-2010, 19:57
excellent work!

Deiex
10-06-2010, 03:53
Well I'm back after an intense weekend of painting (and I guess beginning of the week). Fear not I have not fallen behind on my painting schedule, but due to the Land Raider taking longer than expected I haven't had a chance to make time to post (or much else). But here I am, let’s get this plog on the roll once more.

khaosBlizzard

It almost looks like Luthor has a cadian chest plate?
05-06-2010 17:30

You bet Luthor is sporting a Cadian command sprue chest piece. Being too old for the full Space Marine augmentation he is a bit smaller than your average marine.

GabrielEvander

If you wouldn't mind how did you make those thunder swords?

I will take a note of this request and add it to my list of tutorials to do. I will try and get the tutorials up here soon, just need to get this paint schedule under control again first (stupid land raider).

(Firstly apologies for the pictures quality today in a rush. I still need to get tonight’s model done)

Monday's:
Old Knight of Caliban
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/OldKnightofCaliban.jpg

Tuesday's:
Sergeant Azrael (Leader of the second Tactical squad)
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Azreal.jpg

And the model of last weekend:
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/LandRaiderFront.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/LandRaiderSide.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Interior.jpg

Siam-Tiger
10-06-2010, 06:03
I really like this project and the things you´ve done. But the sidedoor on this land raider just seems odd to me, the perspective?!?

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/LandRaiderSide.jpg

khaosBlizzard
10-06-2010, 06:37
yeah it looks really off, but its gotta be the angle

BeatTheBeat
10-06-2010, 07:04
That really messed with my head! :D It's probably the fact that the sponson top is angled downwards, which is hard to see in the pic, making you believe that it's straight and leading to the "wtf?!" reaction.

Great job by the way, I really like the old knight of Caliban especially! And of course the LR, could we get a close up on the front side panel artwork?

Cheers,
BTB

spekkiebig
10-06-2010, 07:04
This is one of the best Pre-Heresy style armies i've seen to date. The concept is great and you've worked it out realy well. I also like your cartoony style of painting a lot. It's not over the top but just right. Good luck in finishing it on time for the tournament (don't rush it though).

Ridicule
10-06-2010, 08:36
Land Raider looks great, love what you did with the interior ^^

Dannage
10-06-2010, 09:10
I demand the immediate return of my lower jaw.

TomG
10-06-2010, 09:48
It is nice to see, how good together match this dark green (almost black) land rider and red interior. I think my 5th Company of Blood Angels can´t have better colors.

alders
10-06-2010, 13:42
wicked work

the damned artificer
10-06-2010, 14:22
Sergeant Azrael (Leader of the second command squad)
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Azreal.jpg

This is pretty damn genius dude, very subtle way of getting Azrael into your army, and the combi plasma is a clever little touch :D Is he that old fluff wise ?? cus if not I think you should get more DA characters build in, like Asmodai, Belial etc. hehe

This is the sort of stuff that I love about themed armies, like the Caliban marines, it is so character giving.

Mega Nutz
10-06-2010, 20:15
Great looking LR!!

Deiex
11-06-2010, 05:56
Great to hear from you guys, and thank you as always.

Siam-Tiger

But the sidedoor on this land raider just seems odd to me, the perspective?!?

khaosBlizzard

yeah it looks really off, but its gotta be the angle

BeatTheBeat

That really messed with my head! It's probably the fact that the sponson top is angled downwards, which is hard to see in the pic, making you believe that it's straight and leading to the "wtf?!" reaction.

I must be missing something here; maybe I have been starring at the model to long to see it? Clarification? Is it the door, the whole side array, or just the hastily way I setup the model for the quick picture? Please help me here, I cannot tell for the life of me :confused: I took my time with the pic this time (and straightened the lascannons), maybe this fixes things, again let me know.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/LandRaiderSidebetter.jpg

BeatTheBeat

could we get a close up on the front side panel artwork?

Yes you sure can. Although I do not feel I spent as much time on them as I should have.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/LandRaiderFreeHand.jpg

the damned artificer

This is pretty damn genius dude, very subtle way of getting Azrael into your army, and the combi plasma is a clever little touch Is he that old fluff wise ?? cus if not I think you should get more DA characters build in, like Asmodai, Belial etc. hehe

Thank you. Unfortunately I do not believe he is that old, but it was an idea I could not refuse. I also have Asmodai planned to be in the assault squad. I'm sure I will add more of the current characters rookies (term seems to fit lol) in further expansions of the army.

Now for some Pictures:

Wednesday's Model of the Day:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Farngoth.jpg

And for some added content, since I'm fairly excited about him, Askelon the Tech Marine WIP:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/TechmarineWIP.jpg

khaosBlizzard
11-06-2010, 06:29
Okay i see it now. its the way the sponsons back end is like a trapezoid, it made the door looked crooked in relation to the non-parallel lines, but its all good :D.

Also the Tech-Marine looks superb! Is the helmet from Chronos?

Daemonlordabraxes
11-06-2010, 07:37
No, the helmet is a plastic one that comes with the landraider (i believe, all i know is that it's plastic)

BeatTheBeat
11-06-2010, 08:10
Don't worry Deiex, it was just an optical illusion created between the sponson doors and the sponson edges above and below it! The tech marine looks really promising, nice, deep red you've got there.

Cheers,
BTB

Catferret
11-06-2010, 09:07

Ravenwing upgrade sprue. Loads of cool helmets on there, including that Techmarine one.

the damned artificer
11-06-2010, 11:28
Awesome, can't wait to see the army finished :p
The tech marine looks a little fat I think but it may be because he's only sporting a small firearm and the middle detail is still not painted. Since I'm a servant of the Omnissiah, could we maybe get some different angles on the tech marine to satisfy our tech needs ? :chrome:

Warlord Nazgred
11-06-2010, 16:10
Yeah I'm sorry to say but before the Horus Heresy techmarines didn't wear red armour, they just wore the armour of the legion. I personally think that the idea of having marines of different abilities wearing different coloured armour is a good idea and adds spice and variety to the army but if you want a fluff accurate army you'll have to repaint him.:(

Sorry to be the one to have that out.
Nazgred

khaosBlizzard
11-06-2010, 18:28
Ravenwing upgrade sprue. Loads of cool helmets on there, including that Techmarine one.

sweet i gotta pick that up :D

Son of the Lion
11-06-2010, 23:36
Sadly, you'll have to buy the whole Ravenwing set now, unless you find a good bitz service.

Deiex
12-06-2010, 02:12
khaosBlizzard

Okay i see it now. its the way the sponsons back end is like a trapezoid, it made the door looked crooked in relation to the non-parallel lines, but its all good .

BeatTheBeat

Don't worry Deiex, it was just an optical illusion created between the sponson doors and the sponson edges above and below it!

Ok good I was worried there for a sec.:D

khaosBlizzard

I guess Catferret covered this already, but I might as well confirm it, it is indeed from the Ravenwing sprue. Best way I find to get a hold of the Ravenwing sprue is bug/convince a friend to play White Scars :p

the damned artificer

The tech marine looks a little fat I think but it may be because he's only sporting a small firearm and the middle detail is still not painted.

I get the same impression too; I do not think I helped this by giving him the open vest type robe as well. Though once it’s painted, it may help give more definition.

the damned artificer

Since I'm a servant of the Omnissiah, could we maybe get some different angles on the tech marine to satisfy our tech needs ?

You bet once I get him done I will do shots from all angles.

Warlord Nazgred

Yeah I'm sorry to say but before the Horus Heresy techmarines didn't wear red armour, they just wore the armour of the legion

Do not be sorry, truthfully I thank you :) If something is not to the fluff let me know, all I ask is if you could please provide a link to sourcing, a reference, or a point in the right direction so I can go over the details myself (not that I do not trust you, just some times the fluff is contradicting and your left to pick and choose as seen fit), again I thank you. I quite like this red but I'm sure there will be plenty other places I can use it in this army in the future.

khaosBlizzard
12-06-2010, 03:04
even if you cant do him red he'll come out amazing with your painting skills :D

Israfael
12-06-2010, 03:30
This thread makes me feel all warm inside.

You're an incredibly talented painter, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

You've done great justice to the first, the favored, the Sons of the Lion. :D

Deiex
12-06-2010, 05:02
Thanks guys and Go First Legion :D

So here is Askelon finished for now. I am in the mindset now that after the tourney I will go back and revisit each model, be it adding more details or just fixing something up. An example would be doing a yellow/black pattern down the cords of the servo skulls, but as it is I really don't have time or the energy at this point in time. SO I promise touch ups after the tourney. Really wanted to take my time with this army, but also really want to get it to this tourney, so this is the compromise.

And as promised the round trip view:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Askelonfront.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Askelonright.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/AskelonBack.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Askelonleft.jpg

I took Warlord Nazgred note on pre heresy techmarines into consideration and did the majority of his armour in the First legions Black(with my green highlights). But anything that I figure was heavily modified by the Mechanicum I kept red to show their influence.

Dragoon King
12-06-2010, 06:12
Prehersy LR are awesome, you really did a nice job on that one!

khaosBlizzard
12-06-2010, 14:57
The techmarine came out tops! i love that you update so often!, cuz this thread is crack and i needs my fix everyday lol :)

the damned artificer
12-06-2010, 15:08
He looks rally good, espesially the auspex on the pf is a nice touch, I think you got a good mix of red and black for him, and the part of him that looks a little chubby looks much better in black. So black really is slimming :p

Warlord Nazgred
12-06-2010, 17:47
WOW the Techmarine looks ace! I'm thankfull I could be of help. Just as a side this is where I get all my fluff from The Great Crusade (http://z15.invisionfree.com/The_Great_Crusade/index.php), it's excellent for fluff. I highly recomend you check it out!

Nazgred

Deiex
12-06-2010, 18:36
So I would take it that the same thing would apply to Apothecaries, in that they would mainly be of their legions colours?

Mega Nutz
12-06-2010, 21:58
Deiex, great take on the techmarine, think you've got the balance with the red spot on!!

Xyon
13-06-2010, 03:42
I love this! Cant wait to see the whole army completed!

Deiex
13-06-2010, 05:45
Update here for you. Here is my latest trooper to join the ranks.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Mortonis.jpg

I am now sitting at roughly 46% complete, and here it is:
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/GroupShot46complete.jpg

Not much else to say at this point, just that I am currently working on a green cloak.

Coltaine
13-06-2010, 07:28
WoW D! that army shot is stunning. I would fly around the world to play you and this army. The techmarine is awesome, really like his eyes, and the Blacksmith style apron he has on. Any extra details after the tourney will just make it more kooler =).
Almost there at 48% man, keep it up!

Ryofo
13-06-2010, 13:39
All i can say is these rock:)

the damned artificer
13-06-2010, 15:04
All i can say is these rock:)

Nice Dark Angel pun, considering where they end up living :D Hehe

Deiex did you consider using an older mark of boltgun ?? since the Goodwin pattern is actually post heresy :)

Warlord Nazgred
13-06-2010, 17:00
So I would take it that the same thing would apply to Apothecaries, in that they would mainly be of their legions colours?

Yes you would be right in thinking that, also they would still wear that helix thing which I can't remember the name of right now.

Nazgred

Solun Decius
14-06-2010, 00:18
Yeah! Army shot .. I love those. To bad you can't see all the detail, as your excellent marines can completely handle the close ups :D
Can't wait for the other 54%!

Deiex
14-06-2010, 07:12
So to show my appreciation to the community in helping me break 200 posts I present Lion El' Jonson (Lol I think I have been spelling it wrong all this time till now) in his painted glory:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/LionElJonson.jpg

Coltaine:

WoW D! that army shot is stunning. I would fly around the world to play you and this army.

Well that would most definitely be a game I couldn't refuse, if you were to make such a far trip here to the northern interior of Canada's west side just to play me a game.

the damned artificer

Deiex did you consider using an older mark of boltgun ?? since the Goodwin pattern is actually post heresy

The thought did occur especially when I was looking at page 20 of the Space Marine Codex, but I believe this was one case of me letting style/accessibility overcome fluff. I do still have a selection somewhere of the old second edition bolter models (covered in old paint though), maybe I'll use them elsewhere in the army (scouts perhaps?).

Warlord Nazgred

Yes you would be right in thinking that, also they would still wear that helix thing which I can't remember the name of right now.

Thank you for this clarification Warlord Nazgred.

So I guess this leaves the update, here are some more shots of Lion El' Jonson:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/LionElJonsonFront.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/LionElJonsonLeft.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/LionElJonsonBack.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/LionElJonsonRight.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/LionElJonsonTop.jpg

Mega Nutz
14-06-2010, 07:18
The army shot is very impressive, as is your Primarch!!

deathwing_marine
14-06-2010, 07:26
Very nice model Deiex! The freehand is all great; I especially like the chest detail. I love the seraph look the multiple sets of wings give him, and the armor on his arm is interesting. My favorite detail might be the green eyes though.

Keep up the good work!

BeatTheBeat
14-06-2010, 07:40
Now that's how a primarch should look! You really made your conversion justice, some really nice painting there. Don't know where to begin, but the freehand on his robes are great, as is the choice of grey for the lions - gold would've been a bit OTT. Oh, and the wings balances the model nicely, something I didn't think they did when the model was unpainted. All in all, wonderful work!

Cheers,
BTB

Coltaine
14-06-2010, 07:55
Stunning work D.!
His eyes! omg they are so green. Its like emeralds! Totally full of WIN!
Just wanna re-itterate(sp) how much i enjoy seeing your painting style on mini's.
I think if Frank Miller saw these, he'd be impressed!

keep it up man.

alders
14-06-2010, 08:15
wow that looks amazing. the eyes are superb! he looks excellent great job.

Catferret
14-06-2010, 08:25
Those eyes really do grab your attention. Makes the Mona Lisa's eyes look like a scrawl on the back of a napkin. Great work.

Nice squiggly bits on his cloak too.

Solun Decius
14-06-2010, 10:22
Damn! I'm always so impressed when people get these kind of awesome results with this painting style. No blending (or at least not attempted everywhere), no tricks (obviously no drybrushing), just each brush stroke painted on with strong color, like an impressionist painting. You have a pretty good eye for light, to be able to put the color down so confidently.
The Lion is great model and really pulls off "Primarch"!

Marshal2Crusaders
14-06-2010, 10:47
Excellently executed Primarch conversion.

khaosBlizzard
14-06-2010, 16:03
He looks like if Link were to become a space marine :) i mean that in a totally awesome way of course :D

the damned artificer
14-06-2010, 16:25
Hail the great Lion, and his sons, the first of the astartes legions ! :D

The eyes look very intense, am I right in assuming they are meant to portray real lion eyes ? As they certainly gives him a noble and very frightening look, also his features resemble those of a lion really well. Damn awesome job dude, especially like how he looks from above.
The bolter issue is not that big a deal, but please don't use the second ed. bolters as they are way to thick imo.

CasperTheGhost
14-06-2010, 17:34
I was a bit iffy on the model of the Lion when I first saw it as I wasn't too sure about the wings. But now that's it is painted, seriously epic.

Yayale
15-06-2010, 01:21
Wow, just wow. I love your interpretation of the lion, plus the standard of painting is very high for the time spent on each model.

Deathwing
15-06-2010, 02:45
Now that is an amazing model of the Lion!

What is he going to represent in your list? Still Sicarius?

Deiex
15-06-2010, 06:15
Thank you very much for the kind words on Lion El' Jonson, and I'm glad to hear I was able to win some of you over with his paint. I am very pleased that my painting style/work is bringing such enjoyment.

the damned artificer

The eyes look very intense, am I right in assuming they are meant to portray real lion eyes ? As they certainly gives him a noble and very frightening look, also his features resemble those of a lion really well.

He really did come out with a bit of a lion look. I think it was intentional on Games Workshops part though. When I was painting him I had a page of excerpts from the novels on his appearance to try and portray accuracy. Here is a list of some of the items I used as reference. (Since there seems to be no official GW picture/Illustration of him that I could ever find)

Hair was shining gold
Heavy curls to his broad shoulders
Skin was pale and smooth as alabaster
Green eyes seemed to glow from within like polished emeralds
Gaze was sharp and penetrating, laser like intensity
Intricately crafted power armour
Ornate gold scrollwork worked into the curved ceramite plates
Detailing forest scenes from distant caliban
Across the breastplate was a vivid depiction of a young Jonson wrestling with a fearsome Calibanite lion the monsters back was bowed and its paws raked furiously at the sky its neck strained to breaking point by the primarchs powerful arms
A heavy cloak of emerald green swirled at the primarch’s back
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/LionElJonson2.jpg

Deathwing

What is he going to represent in your list? Still Sicarius?

I am still planning on using him as Cato Sicarius. I have played 4 practice games with the list and am doing fairly well with it 2 victorys and 2 ties.

Just a short update tonight with one more of the Old Caliban knights seeing paint:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Galmiel.jpg

Skidman
15-06-2010, 06:19
Your primarch is absolutely stunning great job with him and the rest of the army

Skidman

khaosBlizzard
15-06-2010, 06:58
Are you not using the Dark Angels Codex?

Deathwing
15-06-2010, 15:25
Have you thought about using Calgar instead of Sicarius?

Calgar seems to have the rules to better represent something like a primarch on the table (choose to pass/fail morale, re-roll to wound, eternal warrior + 4w, has powerfists & a power weapon so can hit really hard or at initiative and can call down an orbital bombardment)

I think that model of the Lion deserves something with a little more ooomph on the table top.

khaosBlizzard
15-06-2010, 15:33

Calgar seems to have the rules to better represent something like a primarch on the table (choose to pass/fail morale, re-roll to wound, eternal warrior + 4w, has powerfists & a power weapon so can hit really hard or at initiative and can call down an orbital bombardment)

I think that model of the Lion deserves something with a little more ooomph on the table top.

yeah but Sicarius has the Coup-de-grat attack, feel no pain, surprise attack, and all of the other spacemarines use his leadership 10. thats just nasty :D

the damned artificer
15-06-2010, 15:52
That description matches what you made really well :)
Am I the only one that constantly thinks of super man when thinking about Lion'El and his former friend, now nemesis, Luthor ?? :P

Deiex
15-06-2010, 16:40
khaosBlizzard

Are you not using the Dark Angels Codex?

At this point in time no. Being a pre heresy/ Great Crusade themed army using the current Dark Angel book just does not seem to make sense, as such organizations like the Deathwing and Ravenwing wouldn't exist (since they are based around hunting the fallen) among other things. It pains me as before mentioned not to use the Dark Angel book, but it just does not fit the feel of a pre heresy/ Great Crusade army in my opinion.

Deathwing

I really don't think anyone’s stats really match up to a primarch (maybe Mephiston if anyone) so I went more for personality. Lion El' Jonson was known for his tactical prowess, and is fairly famous for the sword he wields so Sicarius seemed best fitting. Calgar just seems too much of a brute to represent the cunning lion, again all my opinion.

the damned artificer

Am I the only one that constantly thinks of super man when thinking about Lion'El and his former friend, now nemesis, Luthor ?? :P

Umm, can't say I have. Then again I am a Marvel boy making me less willing to associate things I like with DC :p

Deathwing
15-06-2010, 16:50
yeah but Sicarius has the Coup-de-grat attack, feel no pain, surprise attack, and all of the other spacemarines use his leadership 10. thats just nasty :D

I think auto-pass or auto-fail is better than ld10 personally. Opens up a lot of interesting tactical/strategical possibilities (the Lion was a tactical/strategical genius after all). And FNP is useless against Instant Death attacks. I'd figure that a primarch would be able to take a krak missile to the face, spit it out and keep on swinging.

I really don't think anyone’s stats really match up to a primarch (maybe Mephiston if anyone) so I went more for personality. Lion El' Jonson was known for his tactical prowess, and is fairly famous for the sword he wields so Sicarius seemed best fitting. Calgar just seems too much of a brute to represent the cunning lion, again all my opinion.

Yeah, I suppose Mephiston would have the statline to best represent a Primarch. Though think about the possibilities of auto-pass/auto-fail morale checks plus combat tactics. Opens up a lot of interesting tactical possibilities.

Anyways I look forward to seeing the army completed at the Out of the Basement tournament.

the damned artificer
15-06-2010, 17:42
Umm, can't say I have. Then again I am a Marvel boy making me less willing to associate things I like with DC :p

A Marvel boy myself, but DC has a few gems (V for vendetta, Batman) and the real story behind the DA is that he's named after a writer called Lionel Johnson, who very conveniently have written a novel called Dark Angel :p But the other still seems a funny coincident :D

Anyway back to the real subject, will there be any other types of vehicles in your army at later state ?? Pre-heresy land speeders maybe ?? :chrome:

Xarius
15-06-2010, 18:39
truly something of beauty!

khaosBlizzard
16-06-2010, 02:51
Oh come to think of it i know a website that has preheresy rules for marines as well as profiles for the Lion, Luthor and the others! i just gotta find it lol

thebaz
16-06-2010, 07:53
This is one of the best armies I have seen in a while

Deiex
19-06-2010, 21:51
I'm back! Been so busy painting lately that I had not had a chance to post (go to work, come home, paint, go to sleep, repeat). Really feeling the crunch now for the Out of the Basement Tournament (http://www.outofthebasementgaming.webs.com/) in Edmonton with only 12 or so days left to paint. But I'm here now to give you an update.

the damned artificer

Anyway back to the real subject, will there be any other types of vehicles in your army at later state ?? Pre-heresy land speeders maybe ??

I am planning to do the full spectrum in the future and go quite large with this army (with this in mind I am thinking of liquidating my 4th company current era models, but keep getting caught up on the nostalgia of the army, I have had it for a long long time). So yes we will see pre heresy land speeders at some point. I am looking to do up my guard as a companion to this army as well. I do have a surprise as for vehicles I am adding to this army, but that will have to wait till I can take pics (lets create a bit of suspense).

khaosBlizzard

Oh come to think of it i know a website that has preheresy rules for marines as well as profiles for the Lion, Luthor and the others! i just gotta find it lol

Cool, I would be interested in seeing them if you can find them. I have found some stuff out there for pre heresy rules (mainly for the Primarch’s). Found some interesting ones while visiting The Great Crusade site (http://z15.invisionfree.com/The_Great_Crusade/index.php?)

And as always thank you everyone for your comments.

So I have 6 Models here for your viewing pleasure today, since I have not posted for awhile. These models finish up the second tactical squad and the command squad.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Apothecary.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/ThunderSwordCommand.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Attias.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/missilelauncher.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/PreHeresyDarkAngel.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Zahariel.jpg

BeatTheBeat
19-06-2010, 21:58
Sterling work on those! The thundersword looks much better painted, I was a bit undecided about them before. There's a myriad other things that are great as well, amongst them the sparse application of white on the apothecary. Well done indeed!

Keep it up,
BTB

\/\/raithlord
19-06-2010, 22:03
I like the gaunt look to Luther's head, is it an Eldar/Elven head of some kind?
All the marines look really individualistic, the robes and details are done really well.

malika
20-06-2010, 09:14
Isn't that thundersword slightly on the too big size?

Commander Zane
20-06-2010, 12:08

theres no such thing as a too big sword lol :D

the new additions look good mate keep it up

aad
20-06-2010, 13:15
this thread is awesome.:D

what can i say??? you do the dark angels proud.:)

D3V!L
20-06-2010, 13:27
Great army, great Thread!

I`ve been lurking in the dark of this thread quite some time. Now I think I just have to post somethin.

Keep on the good work. I`m looking forward to seein the army done!

Anarnaxe
20-06-2010, 13:51

Not unless you're a small, spiky haired SOLDIER with severe mental problems. :p

Go Buster sword!

Commander Zane
20-06-2010, 15:20
Not unless you're a small, spiky haired SOLDIER with severe mental problems. :p

Go Buster sword!

EXACTLY!!!!!!! :evilgrin:

i dont see why a space marine wouldnt have a sword that big, i mean they do have the strength to swing the thing left right and center lol :D

Ridicule
21-06-2010, 13:13
New figures look wicked awesome! Great quality as usual Deiex!

However, because of your generally high quality I feel that it would be disrespectful of me not to speak my mind if I have an opinion that is something other than "Awesome stuff!".

That sword... it's too Final Fantasy for your otherwise well balanced fluffy PH-army. I mean, the Lion was probably the best Primarch-adaption I've ever seen. Other people tend to always go overboard with their projects and push things too far. You usually don't which is why I like this plog so much.

Now naturally you're free to do whatever you want. But I felt I had to give you honest feedback. I hope you understand :) But I'd love to see that sword scaled down, atleast the blades width(?). The length would be acceptable.

Deiex
23-06-2010, 06:43
Glad to hear from everybody, new/old/lurkers. We are now officially in panic mode for getting done for the tourney, so it may be a bit more far between postings as I put some ware and tear on the brush.

\/\/raithlord

like the gaunt look to Luther's head, is it an Eldar/Elven head of some kind?

Actually the head used for Luther was one from the plastic Empire Great Swords kit.

malika

Commander Zane

theres no such thing as a too big sword lol

i dont see why a space marine wouldnt have a sword that big, i mean they do have the strength to swing the thing left right and center lol

Ridicule

However, because of your generally high quality I feel that it would be disrespectful of me not to speak my mind if I have an opinion that is something other than "Awesome stuff!". That sword... it's too Final Fantasy for your otherwise well balanced fluffy PH-army. Now naturally you're free to do whatever you want. But I felt I had to give you honest feedback. I hope you understand But I'd love to see that sword scaled down, atleast the blades width(?). The length would be acceptable.

Firstly, thank you for the constructive/honest criticism, and truly know I greatly appreciate it.

So "yay" or "nay" on the thundersword. This idea has plagued me as well. I do like it from the stand point of it being a giant blunt sword rippling with power used to bludgeon people to death with the effectiveness of a thunder hammer, alternatively it is as big as him and a little extreme (anime-ish). I am worried that it would not look the role if I cut it down, and if I do cut it down I would most likely have to replace the whole weapon being that the hilt would be way to large in comparison. As it stands I will wait till after the tourney to make my final decision on this (simply since I can't spare the time to go back and refit models this close to the tourney with so much still to paint) I will ask around the community on their opinions as I can see the appeal in both directions. Basically I could use some persuasion (Maybe seeing the model in person may change perspectives, I’ll try taking more pics for you guys after the tourney). But again thank you for bringing to light an execution that I initially questioned myself.

So model up:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/PreHeresyTerminator.jpg

I have not forgotten that tutorials on the Terminators build and check paints were requested. I will have to postpone them though till after the tourney (I can always use more terminators :D)

As I last posted:

I do have a surprise as for vehicles I am adding to this army, but that will have to wait till I can take pics (lets create a bit of suspense).

This arrived...

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/ForgeWorld.jpg

Presenting my Thunderhawk!!!
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Thunderhawk.jpg

What’s this? Still in the box?
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Warhoundinabox.jpg
Yay it is my Warhound!!!!

Smoke&Mirrors
23-06-2010, 10:58
Awesome work on the DA's dude, the thunderhawk will be awesome!

Smoke :)

the-skylord
23-06-2010, 11:10
:eek::eek:

Wow, now I wish I could get a parcel like that!!

Looking forward to seeing these built.

freebooter
23-06-2010, 11:14
Warhound! :D

the damned artificer
23-06-2010, 11:43
thunderhawk is a great choice for a pre heresy transport :chrome: my guess for the mystery in the box is a reaver with a plasma canon instead en apoc launcher, mainly because it looks like the reaver las blaster lying there in the corner next to the mars pattern plasma blaster :p

khaosBlizzard
23-06-2010, 15:34
A DA Warhound would look so ace! Although im picturing it with a huge cloak lol

the damned artificer
23-06-2010, 15:56
Ohh didn't see the last line under the last pic :P Well a warhound is pretty awesome as well :D Althoug I'd encourage you to make it a Legio (Of your choice) titan and not paint it up as a dark angel one, as that is much cooler and more fluff accurate :D

Fold
23-06-2010, 22:17
This is a very inspiring army, a real pleasure to view. Evidently I don't come over to the Imperium logs enough as I have been deprived of this wonderful spectacle for too long!

Can you tell me what your recipe for snow is?

However, I'm also going to cast my vote against the Final Fantasy sword. I'm not even sure it's too big, per se. For me it's actually the fact that it's more or less a big flat rectangle with no shape and equally as importantly the paint job doesn't live up to your usual standard. You easily have the ability to paint a beautifully glowing blade, crackling with power but here neither the pink/red haze or the lightning effect are very convincing.

Maybe try something like this:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/Fold/ModifiedAngelSword.jpg

Equally as big (at least length wise), more obviously sword shaped, bevelled cutting edge, then your awesomely painted glow/lightning effects.

BeatTheBeat
23-06-2010, 22:26
+1 to Fold's suggestion! Even if it looks OK now, making it like he suggested would turn it into awesome territory, where it belongs.

Cheers,
BTB