PDA

View Full Version : 2250 full metal jacket, looking for something new

kormas
04-04-2010, 10:37
ok, i played WOC at a big tourniment and came 17th overall which i was pretty happy with, now dont get me wrong, i liked my old list and it was fun to play with , but it has started to get boring.

this is a list that i think might stand a chance (well, it will get smashed by gunlines, but they dont count :p) but i really havnt had any experience with this kind of list before.

so here it is

LORD
Chaos lord=245
Biting blade
Enchanted shield
Death’s head

HEROES
Exalted=180
BsB – warbanner
Flail
Barded warhorse

Sorcerer =155
LvL 2
Infernal puppet

Sorcerer=165
LvL 2
MoT
Dispel scroll

CORE
12 warriors=232
Shields
Full command
MoS

12 warriors=232
Shields
Full command
MoS

12 warriors=232
Shields
Full command
MoS

5 warhounds=30

5 warhounds=30

SPECIAL
12 chosen=303
Full command
Champ W/ favour
Shields
MoS

6 chaos knights=300
Standard + muso
MoN

RARE
Warshrine=140
MoS

basicaly the lord will bunker with the chosen, the sorcs will run around in the warriors and the BsB will camp with the knights. i will just present a strail battle line with the shrine buffing the chosen and hopefully getting that magic 4+ ward, but it the chosen get it first off then the knights will get the buff. i intend to march foward and just hope that the units can hold well enough and do enough damage to kill things.

i am not sure on weather the drop the casters down to LvL 1 and get some more troops or what.

all opinions welcomed :)

Nocculum
04-04-2010, 10:59
LORD
Chaos lord=245
Biting blade
Enchanted shield
Death’s head

Hello there. Hope you don't mind, I'm just passing wind over a few thoughts that sprung to mind when I read through this. I'd say the first problem is a lord without direction, who is fighting at his basic stats. You said you had an issue with gun lines so I'll cater my commentary to help you with those sorts of set-ups in the future. First up, drop the Enchanted Shield, and replace it with a Chaos Steed. This gives you the +2 armour save still, whilst offering your Lord increased manoeuvrability and the possibility of running with your knights should the need arise. The Death's Head is workeable, but not I'd say on a fighting lord, so drop that and the Biting Blade and replace it with either Axe of Khorne or the Chaos Runesword; now your lord is mobile, can rush into smaller gun line type units and deal with them on his own, and chomp up other characters much more effectively. Thematic or not, the Mark of Slaanesh is a steal at five points.

Chaos Lord
Chaos Steed, Shield, Mark of Slaanesh
Chaos Runesword

HEROES
Exalted=180
BsB – warbanner
Flail
Barded warhorse

Ah-ha! Here we go, much more like it. It's sad that characters tend to be mounted in this particular army book but, when it's such an effective upgrade it's hard not to go with the flow. A personal favourite of mine for a BSB is a Flail, Steed of Slaanesh/Bloodcurdling Roar hunter killer missile, which can second the gun line hunting, seek out smaler targets and skirmishing units and supply sustained psychological fire as well. The Roar can ill 2-3 knights and lone characters, you just have to keep reminding your opponent of that fact. With the Book of Secrets added, you get an extra dice and a basic magic missile to supplement his sustainable fire, and he is very very quick to apply the BSB re-roll where it's needed. (GO FOR WARMACHINES!)

Exalted Hero
Mark of Slaanesh, Shield, Flail, Steed of Slaanesh
Battle Standard Bearer
Bloodcurdling Roar, Book of Secrets

Sorcerer =155
LvL 2
Infernal puppet

Apply a mark, always, the marked lores are infinitely better. I'd suggest Nurgle for Level 2 sorcerers, as one lone Tzeentchian sorceror is really only good for having Gateway in case the enemy miscasts and you Puppet a 5-6 result.

Sorcerer =190
LvL 2, Mark of Nurgle
Infernal puppet, Enchanted Shield

Sorcerer=165
LvL 2
MoT
Dispel scroll

This guy is fine, although again, I'd add Steeds to both of them if you can work out some spare points at a later date, to keep them alive longer or lock not so tough characters in challenges (which is always amusing).

CORE
12 warriors=232
Shields
Full command
MoS

12 warriors=232
Shields
Full command
MoS

Both fine, although I'd try to add Halberds to them also, for adaptability.

12 warriors=232
Shields
Full command
MoS

I feel three units of Slaaneshi warriors is a little redundant, and you could get just as much use from these points in other ways. Try perhaps ten man units of Khornate Marauders, sacrificial units but also, packing a surprise punch when they hit for 11 STR5 attacks from a very cheap unit. Alternatively, you can squeeze two units of the Flailing Khornate Horsemen of doom out of this unit, which would be a million times more useful than a third infantry slogging unit. Would seriously help with gunlines too, as if you keep horsemen alive, they will chomp through warmachines and missile troops turn 2.

5 Marauder Horsemen
Mark of Khorne, Flail, Musician

5 Marauder Horsemen
Mark of Khorne, Flail, Musician

5 warhounds=30

5 warhounds=30

You might do well with an extra unit of Hounds, three seems to be the optimum number for giving you screening/flanking and distracting targets to split up cavalry advances.

SPECIAL
12 chosen=303
Full command
Champ W/ favour
Shields
MoS

6 chaos knights=300
Standard + muso
MoN

It's always been my fancy from when I played WoC that if you've got knights, they should be Khornate, and no upgrades aside from that. In this case, I would drop a knight, and add the Banner of Rage instead, if you insist on using Nurgle to give them staying power.

5 Chaos Knights
Mark of Nurgle, Standard Bearer, Musician
Banner of Rage

RARE
Warshrine=140
MoS

Warshrine is always a goody, and other than that, it's a solid list but versatility is lost by infantry slaaneshing it. Hope these ideas at least give you food for thought, let me know how you get on next time around or if there's anything specific you need a hand with composition/odd unit wise!

kormas
04-04-2010, 23:00
wow, thanks heaps for the advice, it is really good :).

i agree with that you have said for basicaly everything, but i am not 100% convinced on the frenzy on the knights, i dont like the lack of controll when they are a rather expencive unit that has a large charge range...appart from that i think will take all your advice :D.

thanks again :)

Nocculum
04-04-2010, 23:47
You're more than welcome Kormas.

As for frenzy, it's a hit and miss scenario, always is regardless of the unit, army or game. My only recommendation is to try it, if it turns out you don't like it you can easily switch back to Slaaneshi/Nurgle or whatever takes your fancy. Use your Warhounds to screen and they're workable.

Keep us updated and good luck!