Shields, Light Armour, Musician

10 Hobgoblin Wolf Riders- 150
Shields, Light Armour, Musician

2 Hobgoblin Bolt Throwers- 60

9 Bull Centaurs- 219
Great Weapons, Heavy Armour, Banner, Musician

9 Bull Centaurs- 219
Great Weapons, Heavy Armour, Banner, Musician

So the Centaur Heroes go with the big Centaur blocks. Them and the wolves advance while under cover from the Bolt Throwers and the Archers. Dwarfs mop up whats left. Thoughts?

crazywhiteboydance
07-04-2010, 08:54
This is a really nice list, looks like a Ravening Hordes one?

The only things i would change would be to have your warrior block use great weapons & lose the gauntlets off your lord. The last thing you want is him munching his expensive unit.

BigbyWolf
07-04-2010, 16:32
Great to see someone else use the old Rav. Hordes list!

I like the big units of Centaurs, they should do well, and the warriors will do well backed up by the blunderbusses.

w3rm
07-04-2010, 20:04
I'll keep the Gauntlets cause Str 8 is just that awesome!

gortexgunnerson
08-04-2010, 17:10
I think you will suffer alot from shooting and magic, you are only really providing 2 targets in the form of the bull centaurs and their save is pretty miserable!

You warrior blocks are slow and have the horror of the fact that unlike dwarfs they can be march blocks and hence a unit of scout of a flyer will hold a quarter of your army in place.

Bull centaurs cannot get the decent save that heavy cav need and hence will walk into either magic or shooting and not reach the oppoenent lines with enough force to win the combat. Unfortunately with the ravenging hordes list you really need the Earthshakers to hold them in place. I found the most effect build is the dullist, castle a corner and poor artillery using your earthshakers to double the rounds of shooting from the rest of your army. Couple of blocks of warriors supported by blunderbuses as flankers to protect them and use your hobgoblins to take quarters.

Unfortunately now everthing comes in big or skirmisher the blunderbuses are actually a lot less effective then you think they will be and the fact that a big monster can only be hit once is a big pain! The combat troops cannot go toe to toe with the new armies and the lack of any form of character killer is an issue. I know the bull centaur has a big strength but put him against a Warriors hero etc and they charge, big strength + flail = dead character. Its too difficult to protect them, better to sneak about and shoot and the black gem of gnar is a wonder and should be give to a sorcerror allowing you to save a unit/potentially break bloodthirster, black dragon by denying attack and winning combat by 4-6 points with a war banner!

Sorry all sounds a bit doom and gloom but they just can't cut it without lots of artillery so I will leave with the single piece of advice Competetive = double earthshaker!! lol