PDA

View Full Version : Runed-up cannon vs. storm banner

amysrevenge
05-04-2010, 04:29
OK, here's the situation (going a bit on memory here). I'm a bit of a goob, so bear with me.

The Storm Banner makes you need to roll a 4+ to be able to shoot with "non-magical missiles" that don't use BS to shoot. This would commonly include things like cannons and stone throwers.

The question I have is what they mean by "non-magical missiles". Do they mean non (magical missiles), ie. anything that isn't a spell defined as a magic missile, or do they mean (non-magical) missiles, meaning any shooting that isn't magical?

A Dwarf's runed-up cannon or grudge thrower doesn't use BS, is a magical shooting attack, but is not a spell effect labelled as "magic missile".

Agoz
05-04-2010, 04:42
since the storm banner doesn't really effect the magic phase at all, I'd say it means shooting attacks that are magical. In which case yes, a dwarf warmachine with runes would ignore the banner.

Djekar
05-04-2010, 05:15
Interesting to note, I think this means that their warmachines avoid the Banner altogether since they use Warp-stone, but I could be mistaken.

Agoz
05-04-2010, 15:29
you would be correct on that account, well, except for the ratling gun since it rolls to hit. And I can't remember if the plague thrower is magical or not.

Peregijn
06-04-2010, 13:10
only if the skaven book says that the shoot magical missels. witch i dont believe they do (i dont have the book so i dont know)

but that would mean that my hellcannon can also shoot, i mean: it shoots big blobs of fused souls and raw magical energie... but its not a magical attack.

go dwarfen runed up cannons

Malorian
06-04-2010, 14:42
I'm very glad that I looked at this thread :D

punkoteloco
06-04-2010, 14:47
In my interpretation of the bannerīs rules iīd say the cannons ( runed up ones ) can shoot. Why? I think, if not mistaken, when you put a rune into something it makes that thing magical. Cannons with runes make magic attacks. Also, it wont affect skaven weaponry ( except the ones that need BS ) because almost everyone has warpstone rule, wich makes the attack magical. But thatīs just me...
On the Hellcannon, if the rules does not say that the attack is magical, eventhough it is a deamon and bla bla, it cant shoot unless it gets a +4.

stripsteak
06-04-2010, 14:55
you would be correct on that account, well, except for the ratling gun since it rolls to hit. And I can't remember if the plague thrower is magical or not.
both of the catapults are warpstone weaponry.

only if the skaven book says that the shoot magical missels. witch i dont believe they do (i dont have the book so i dont know)

but that would mean that my hellcannon can also shoot, i mean: it shoots big blobs of fused souls and raw magical energie... but its not a magical attack.

go dwarfen runed up cannons
almost all skaven ranged attacks are magical attacks, the exceptions are slings and throwing stars, everything else is a warpstone weapon.

Ozorik
07-04-2010, 06:27
Its legal, possibly not how the rule was intended though.

Djekar
07-04-2010, 11:39
My regular skaven opponent did a little dance when he heard this. So he thanks you for making the most annoying (to me) banner ever better, and I thank you for giving me a good chuckle at his expense.

PeG
07-04-2010, 15:28
they could have done this in an easy way and actually written a rule that correlated with the rules in the main rule book or other army books and written something like non-magical shooting attacks, non-magical ranged attacks etc but instead they chose to use the term magical missile which is most frequently used in the magic phase. I am still not convinced that RAW actually means anything else then the fact that it doesnt do anything in the magic phase and that the non-magical missiles part is only a GW attemp to clarify the rule :wtf:

WusteGeist
07-04-2010, 20:15
First
The storm banner FAQ states it is ONE USE ONLY, second it does not effect any friendly firing. So no worries for the rat player.
Second
The storm banner states any non magical shooting. Warmachines that do not need to use BS must roll a 4+, all shooting that uses BS must add +2 to any rolls to hit.

What the second means in detial. Tombking skullchukcers dont give a rats **** about the storm banner, and neither do any guns that fire magical rounds. Like a dwarven cannon thats been runed up.

Milgram
08-04-2010, 08:30
the errata only changed the warpstone spell. it stated that skaven shooting is not affected, now it was changed to your troops are not affected. this does not even include 'friendly troops' in 2vs2 battles.

storm banner still affects your own units.

Covalent
09-04-2010, 03:03
First
The storm banner FAQ states it is ONE USE ONLY, second it does not effect any friendly firing. So no worries for the rat player.
Second
The storm banner states any non magical shooting. Warmachines that do not need to use BS must roll a 4+, all shooting that uses BS must add +2 to any rolls to hit.

What the second means in detial. Tombking skullchukcers dont give a rats **** about the storm banner, and neither do any guns that fire magical rounds. Like a dwarven cannon thats been runed up.

Thank you for retelling the rules. :rolleyes: Except the friendly shooting thing though, this was about the spell, not the banner.