PDA

View Full Version : spears fight in 2 "ranks" when flanked?

hohenheim
05-04-2010, 20:52
Do spear infantry fight in 2 ranks when fighting to their flank, using files as ranks?

Thanks!

rtunian
05-04-2010, 21:02
no, only to front. see p.55 "fight in ranks" weapons rule

the only thing you can do is hope to win combat, then use your free manouever to turn to face them, so you are facing front. it's true that if you are spearmen getting flanked, you have little hope to win. but if you DO, then make sure you remember to turn and face the enemy. see p.46 "free manouevers" for full detail & other moves you can do

Davo
06-04-2010, 10:13
But am I correct in thinking that as this free move is a turn rather than a reform you can often find yourself with files that are less than five stong so will therefore not gain any rank bonuses?

Sand
06-04-2010, 10:57
Yeah, but since you're flanked you wouldn't get rank bonuses anyway.

Havock
06-04-2010, 11:49
But am I correct in thinking that as this free move is a turn rather than a reform you can often find yourself with files that are less than five stong so will therefore not gain any rank bonuses?

Free reform or free turn? ;)

warlord hack'a
06-04-2010, 12:38
free turn, should have been free reform me thinks though, but if we go down that road there are a lot more things me thinks should have been different ;-).

WusteGeist
07-04-2010, 20:10
Free turn, rember if your hit in the flank or rear, it will take you 2 rounds of combat to get turned to facing the enemy and have your unit shape back the way it was.
First win everyone TURNS to face the enemy. No reform you just go from looking striaght forward to looking at the enemy that's all.
Second win, you form up ranks so that now not only do you face the enemy, but your battle lines are proper.
Rember rember rember turn is not reform. Can not stress how many people seem to overlook that simple differnce(though its effect is massive).

Urgat
07-04-2010, 21:11
no, only to front. see p.55 "fight in ranks" weapons rule

the only thing you can do is hope to win combat, then use your free manouever to turn to face them, so you are facing front. it's true that if you are spearmen getting flanked, you have little hope to win. but if you DO, then make sure you remember to turn and face the enemy. see p.46 "free manouevers" for full detail & other moves you can do

Wow, I, like, never knew that was possible >>