PDA

View Full Version : Warriors of chaos begginer

bocaj
05-04-2010, 23:29
SO i am starting to get warriors of chaos but im not sure on what to get. Im thinking a battalion and a hero. SO what hero, i like wulfrik, and what else? I already have a box of hounds and knights. SO any help would be very apricciated :)

Wise Guy Sam
05-04-2010, 23:47
I'd say get the Army book 1st.

After that I can only recommend minis I like, such as Chaos Lord on big horse ect.

Are you looking for a friendly list or competative and how big an army are you aiming for?

bocaj
05-04-2010, 23:59
Well I've got the army book I also like the lord on juggernaught's rules and model. Also I like the tactic of wulfric coming in round the flank with a squad of mauders as a tarpit
Oh id prefer a competitive list

JayC707
06-04-2010, 03:39
Good post, I'm in the exact same position.

I'm looking to do 2250 competitive. :P

Cartoon
06-04-2010, 07:01
Competitive WoC is based around an all cav force. Usually 3 units of marauder horsemen followed by 2-3 units of knights and maybe a unit of d.ogres with a couple units of hounds to act as a meat shield or screeners. Character wise sorcerers are the way to go. Usually a sorc lord of Tzeentch backed up by a couple lvl 2 nurgle sorcerers to spam buboes. I run a mix of infantry and cavalry to some degree of success but then again I'm not the greatest player around.

Some people use a bsb exalted (myself included) but by and large the strongest builds are magic and cavalry heavy. WoC are kind of limited when it comes to competitive builds, but I've been having a pretty good time with my infantry.

logan054
06-04-2010, 10:30
You really do not need a chaos lord in a game under 2k unless you really cannot be without a dragon mounted lord, two exalted champions will do exactly the same job but only better (and aso be able to cover seperate parts of the board.

Good example is a Khorne exalted on jugger with a flail and Regen, he still has 5 S7 attacks 1+ save and then 3 S5 with KB from his mount, very little in the game hits him on a 3+ and he hits most things on a 3+

Whitehorn
06-04-2010, 10:33
You really do not need a chaos lord in a game under 2k

You can't actually take a Lord under 2k...

Check out the strategy thread for lots of ideas.

Wulfrick is a very fun hero to use and can really put the wind up other players, entering the board behind them.

bocaj
06-04-2010, 11:45
So I should get what? Well if i get the battalion I'd have enought points for a decent small game if I buy a hero. so a battalion, horsemen, sorcer?

The Red Scourge
06-04-2010, 12:25
I'd recommend this to get you started

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warriors-of-Chaos-Army-great-painted-warhammer-fantasy_W0QQitemZ300412911857QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _Toys_Wargames_RL?hash=item45f20140f1

Its served me well and you won't have to waste your time (and money) on painting ;)

halforkbarbarian
06-04-2010, 12:40
when i was stating i took
one box of warriors
battalion
hero of khorne(the new one he looks cool)
and a sorceror of nurgle (he looks funky)

halforkbarbarian
06-04-2010, 12:44
i reckon wulfric would be pretty good but don't play just him and no other exalted heroes but it all depends on what your style of play is. but buy wulfric in big games he's good at distracting and killing enemy war machines taking the heat off the rest of your boys

halforkbarbarian
06-04-2010, 12:47
whenever you start any army. get the minimum required to play and get them on the table as fast as possible. that way you will get a feel for the army and make any further decisions.

Whitehorn
06-04-2010, 13:25
So I should get what? Well if i get the battalion I'd have enought points for a decent small game if I buy a hero. so a battalion, horsemen, sorcer?

Battalion and a box of marauder horsemen would be a great start.

You don't even need to buy a character at first - use a modified warrior while you learn before committing to an expensive purchase.

JayC707
06-04-2010, 16:38
Thank you for the suggestions, I think that I'll do that.

BenTheRat
06-04-2010, 18:21
I've seen 3 WoC builds do very well in tournament play.

1st is my own. I ran 4 units of chaos knights, 6 units of marauder cav, all 10 marked slaanesh, a Lvl 4 of Tzn, a lvl 2 und. Went 5-0 and won the Alamo last year.

2nd involves using a deathstar unit. Big huge unit of chosen Mark of Tzneetch, champ had gift. 2 warshrines, then some hounds, horsemen couple knights. Lvl 4 nurgle, Lvl 2 nurgle, Lvl 2 nurgle, and BSB Rapture standard in there. One of these is on a daemon mount so the unit is immune to fear.
He just kept doing the warshrines till he gets the 3+ ward on them. marched them up the middle and watched units bounce off. It works well until you run into smart players.
I've seen this list go 4-1 a couple times.

3rd revolves around a Daemon Prince with Tendrals. and either Tzn, Nurgle or Shadow magic. Add in some chariots, a Lvl 2 nurgle, some knights and maybe throw in a Tzn exalted disc rider, hell cannon and some cheap marauders and hounds and you have a tough little list.
Seen this list go 4-1.

4th is just a weird mix of knights, heroes, lord, marauders, warriors and a lvl 1 or 2. These lists can do well, but are not the most competitive, but can be fun to play.

No matter which one you end up going with, the puppet is in every competitive list Ive ever seen.

Good luck.

bocaj
06-04-2010, 19:01
I'd recommend this to get you started

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warriors-of-Chaos-Army-great-painted-warhammer-fantasy_W0QQitemZ300412911857QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _Toys_Wargames_RL?hash=item45f20140f1

Its served me well and you won't have to waste your time (and money) on painting ;)

Anything for a sale eh ;) well I enjoy the making and painting

So I'm gonna buy a battalion then some horsemen and a sorc or 2 then span out from there but also I'll keep in mind the competitive builts :) thanks evryone.
Also today I bought wulfrik as he looks cool, his rules are good and I could use him as an exhalted if I want.