PDA

View Full Version : The Sickly Moon (1000)

Nocculum
06-04-2010, 01:59
Wargor Malden, the Pale Chylde
Great Weapon, Heavy Armour, Shield
Ramhorn Helm, Cacophonous Dirge, Gnarled Hide

Bray-Shaman
Level Two, Additional Hand Weapon
Hagtree Fetish, Dispel Scroll

14 Gors
Musician, Standard Bearer, Foe Render
Shields

6 Ungor Raiders
Musician

10 Gors
Additional Hand Weapons, Musician

6 Ungor Raiders
Musician

10 Gors
Additional Hand Weapons, Musician

6 Ungor Raiders
Musician

6 Harpies
Scout

6 Harpies
Scout

5 Centigors

Total = 1014

I'm pandering to the idea of Beastmen for a second army, and one that's themed and converted. The idea is a Beastman Herd who worship the Chaos Moon Morrslieb, and are albino/grey/sickly in appearance. The army attacks only under the cover of night, and via flittering beasts in the dark and ambushing/lighting attacks with harpies to pluck men from their units to be hung from the trees. A heard (herd? :p) but not seen type of affair. I can't fit in ambushing units at this points level but how does it look for a starting force? Main Gor unit with Wargor, with a screen, and the two smaller units operating as aiding hammers with their own screens. The Harpies do their worst as the army advances, and the Centigors come up a flank sped up hopefully by the Level 0+ Wild Lord spell from the Shaman.

Psygon
06-04-2010, 02:39
The idea is a Beastman Herd who worship the Chaos Moon Morrslieb, and are albino/grey/sickly in appearance

I've got to say, I had the exact same idea for army lore, except more black/green, black for night and green for Morrslieb.

Wargor Malden, the Pale Chylde
Great Weapon, Heavy Armour, Shield
Ramhorn Helm, Cacophonous Dirge, Gnarled Hide

Not quite sure on the Dirge. Personally I would drop it in favor of a Gorehoof for the Centigor unit unless you have had reoccuring experiences of drawing combat. Dropping the Ramhorn Helm might benefit you in some way as well, as the bonus attacks are only at base strength, but then again the extra armor save is nice for when you get down to close combat, and I can't see a viable option instead of the Dirge and Helm.

Centigors come up a flank sped up hopefully by the Level 0+ Wild Lord spell from the Shaman.

Uniquely refreshing. Kudos to you for thinking outside of the box in the situation of the Lore of the Wild. I dare say I may use it myself.

Overall: good, balanced list. You may think of putting the third Ungor Raider unit in ambush as they can deny a table quarter, which is always useful, depending on the opponent.

Psygon

Nocculum
06-04-2010, 11:24
Not quite sure on the Dirge. Personally I would drop it in favor of a Gorehoof for the Centigor unit unless you have had reoccuring experiences of drawing combat. Dropping the Ramhorn Helm might benefit you in some way as well, as the bonus attacks are only at base strength, but then again the extra armor save is nice for when you get down to close combat, and I can't see a viable option instead of the Dirge and Helm.

Drawing is my middle name, so the Dirge is really more to balance out the smaller unit size. With the Ramhorn, and the Wargor's own attacks, I should be able to do enough damage to kill but there's always the risk I won't and I'll have to rely on unit res and banner which is +3. People might think it's useless but the amount of times I lose to musician or it's a static draw, it seems like a good investment to have; perhaps in a larger force though.

Uniquely refreshing. Kudos to you for thinking outside of the box in the situation of the Lore of the Wild. I dare say I may use it myself.

I actually think the Lore of the Wild is considerably better than Lore of the Beasts in this army. I keep hearing the old 'Waaagh!!!' is better but it's a 10+ spell on a level 2 most of the time that's the 6th spell in the Big Waaagh Lore, there is no guarantee you'll get it, whilst Beastmen can have the spell 4 times a game, plus bound. The only drawback is that it doesn't allow charging with the magical movement, but I guess that would be far too powerful for the default spell. Even the 16+ spell is potentially game breaking, especially as it drops a terror bomb on a table edge and one of the can move like a fire cracker! Mainly however, the Lore screams for the 5th spell, whilst risky, it's potentially more catastrophic for the opponent on the receiving end of a +3-4 Strength +3-4 attack (average) character that's already got 4-7 attacks at strength 5-7!

Overall: good, balanced list. You may think of putting the third Ungor Raider unit in ambush as they can deny a table quarter, which is always useful, depending on the opponent.

I may drop the Dirge in favour of this, thanks for your help! I really need to toss a coin between Wood Elves and Skaven, or abandoning Skaven for Beastmen :skull: