PDA

View Full Version : Hiv etyrant Pics (plus Carnifex Silhouette)

boogle
20-03-2005, 02:13
heres a link to Dakka with the New Hive Tyrant and the Carnifex Silhouette: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakka/Default.aspx?tabid=27&g=posts&t=4509 (credit Capnbob)

neXus6
20-03-2005, 02:19
They tyrant is great though I am slightly as to why there is a metal and plastic model and an all plastic model, maybe I just missed something in the writing above that made mention of it.

As for the 'fex, well we can certainly pray that it looks angry rather than the current ones gormless grin. :p

Rabid Bunny 666
20-03-2005, 02:31
the models metal, one of them is a resin cast

boogle
20-03-2005, 02:32
it says on the card at its feet that the one on the right is the resin Master cast (which looks better to be honest), persoanlly, to me, nothing beats the FW Tyrants

Mods can you please edit my title as it looks crap mispelt

Tastyfish
20-03-2005, 02:33
However I think its plastic arms (venom cannon) looks new...whether its part of the carnifex one, or all large tyranid weapons have a new sprue (maybe with 2 pairs of talons on each?) I've no idea, I do like the new scything talons but suprised to see the Bone sword returning

boogle
20-03-2005, 02:35
the Left Arm of the Venom Cannon looks new, not sure about the cannon itself, looks like we are going to get a choice of heads with it at least

invivos
20-03-2005, 02:43
The Tyrant kicks ass and I like that they returned to the 2nd edition stuff (in my own Nid army I used the 2nd Edition one always anyway and hey with the bone sword returning now its weapon layout actually fits again, hehe) :D I had hoped the Tyrant would be a plastic kit though and that it would come with wings,well looks like itīll still need some conversion work for getting it to fly... Anyway things are getting better and better for the nids :)

Inquisitor DreaxIV
20-03-2005, 02:43
Looks great except i wont be adding a venom cannon to mine.

Wheres the fex silhouette??

boogle
20-03-2005, 02:44
at the bottom of the Tyrant pictures, before the end of Capnbobs post

Tom
20-03-2005, 03:23
Whoa, more Carnifices than a Roman Courthouse...

morac
20-03-2005, 04:01
Tyrant looks ok. I always thought that nids with sword looked kinda silly, so thats a bit of a put off. Other than that the model looks pretty solid. I saw in the thread that carni's can get spore launchers, and it looks like it could support it too. Looking forward to more carni pics

morac

Rabid Bunny 666
20-03-2005, 04:02
i quite like the swords.

wonder if warriors will get powers like grey knight termies, using one model as a focus

boogle
20-03-2005, 04:04
tis possible i suppose, lets wait and see what Brimstone comes up with

Caff
20-03-2005, 04:21
Tyrant looks really cool. Whenever I think of a tyrant, I still think of the 2nd ed one, so this one is good to me :)

Rabid Bunny 666
20-03-2005, 04:23
that model has clinched me, nids are the next army for me, no red corsairs

any release dates?

boogle
20-03-2005, 04:25
May for the Army Deal, June for the rest of the releases

KDP Morgoth
20-03-2005, 05:12
May for the Army Deal, June for the rest of the releases

And iirc they said a picture of the Carnifex would be up on the website around April 28 or so.

boogle
20-03-2005, 05:13
i would prefer it to be a Codex Release surprise, but only having to wait 5 weeks isn't so bad

twisted_mentat
20-03-2005, 05:16
I though we were getting a plastic Tyrant..oh well.....it still looks really nice.

though i wonder if its got the psudo-pod head like everything else....

*sigh* i'm just picturing that with wings, because thats how every bloody person i know will be playing it with. SCyting Talons, Wings, Warp Blast...

Zechs Merquise
20-03-2005, 05:18
not really what I expected (very reminisant of the 2nd ed one), but they look quite cool, it would be nice to get a size comparison with a space marine or something to see just how big it is. The carnifex looks like it going to be awesome though.

boogle
20-03-2005, 05:20
I've a feeling that wings are going to be an expensive option for them (maybe even taking up one of their Arm options)

Nid
20-03-2005, 06:13
I dont know how I can put pure raw sexual arrousal into an emoticon, but if I could, I would.

That tyrant can lash whip me any day.

Inquisitor DreaxIV
20-03-2005, 06:24
I dont know how I can put pure raw sexual arrousal into an emoticon, but if I could, I would.

That tyrant can lash whip me any day.

You could try asking one but i think the only reponce will be a quick slash to the body resulting in immediate death :D I agree tho, thats one awesome model

Brimstone
20-03-2005, 06:34
i quite like the swords.

wonder if warriors will get powers like grey knight termies, using one model as a focus

The bonesword will be exclusive to the Tyrant.

Don't think the Warriors will be getting any powers, their general standard format will be remaining pretty much as the previous codex.

Inquisitor DreaxIV
20-03-2005, 06:37
Dont the warriors get a toughness 5 upgrade now?? Theres a biomorph with a +1 to toughness so hopefully they will be able to get it.

twisted_mentat
20-03-2005, 08:03
I've a feeling that wings are going to be an expensive option for them (maybe even taking up one of their Arm options)

I hope so. I'm so tired of seeing Tyranid Armies that all look the same....Maybe if it isn't so cost effective, people might think of doing other things with their tyrants.

And don't say "every space marine commander is the same." NOt every single space marine command has plasma pistol and power fist, and if you don't take that combination, you're handicapping yourself....

Hortwerth
20-03-2005, 08:29
Now that Tyrant is absolutely gorgeous.

It looks like a mountain of muscles, tendons, chitin and sharp stuff. Moreover, it looks intelligent. Scary indeed.

The bonesword, if it remains a Tyrant-only choice, emphasises its intelligence: it is cunning enough to use something else than natural weapons. Or maybe it is a recent Hive evolution that just is not yet totally adapted.

The Carnifex is seriously spilling over its base! In a degree similar to Obliterators spilling out of 25mm base!
But it's mounted on a 60mm base.
Huge.

All the Rhino-sized rumour was a bit exaggerated though.

Inquisitor DreaxIV
20-03-2005, 08:40
I like the new way they're doing the scything talons.

Plus the armour on th Tyrant looks like it can now stop some bullets.

Those 'exaust pipes'(?) coming out of its back are pretty cool. It all goes with the current codex's cover

t-tauri
20-03-2005, 09:34
They are extremely good. Looks like it could be time for a Nid army.

philbrad2
20-03-2005, 11:04
Love them lots.... glad to see the bonsword & arm is much more arms & talon like than the old Warrior/HT boneswords, makes the look far more genetic.

Been waiting for pics of thses things and they are well worth it. So far I've not seen a models that isn't an improvement on its old one. Nice to See GW have taken a look for the HT from 2nd ed rather than trying to evolve the 3rd ed model.

:cool:

Adept
20-03-2005, 11:04
To be honest, I'm underenthused. The 3rd edition hive tyrant seems much more 'animal' like to me. It (when correctly posed and modelled) had a real savage beast feel about it. This one, with its hands holding swords, it's tiny head, and upright pose seems much more like some bipedal humanoid creature than the insectoid horror it should be.

And while I thought the 3rd ed Tyrant Guard were horrible, the new ones are worse.

Actually, I'm pretty much underwhelmed by everything new I've seen for the Nids. I'm holding off buying a few new Carnifexes since the new ones are rumoured to be totally sweet. But if they are moving in the direction of the new Hive Tyrants, I might just stick with the old ones.

That said, the new Lictors are cool. And the Genestealer models are better than the old ones, but the entire image of genestealers still sucks balls.

Wraith
20-03-2005, 11:14
Really, really, good - I can't wait to see the Tyrant painted.

The new style scything talons look deadly - I really like them.

I think they managed to make the Tyrant not only look alien and deadly but also intelligent and self aware - something the 3rd edition Tyrant model lacked as it took it's que from an 'Alien Queen'. I was dubious about them bringing back the bone sword but having seen it I think it adds to the feel that this new Tyrant isn't just some mindless animalistic Gaunt - it's an intelligent, thinking entity. I get the impression that if a Hormaguant is comparable to a wolf a Tyrant is comparable to a human.

I do wonder about winged Tyrants - this new model doesn't look like it's going to look 'natural' with dragon wings pinned to it's back... I don't think FW need worry their resin winged tyrant model isn't going to sell anymore.

Dreachon
20-03-2005, 11:36
I prefer to wait to comment on the new Tyrant until i see a painted one if fron t of me, the new Guard and Lictors are awesome.
As for the fex, sofar it looks promising.

Asher
20-03-2005, 12:00
Here is a painted and photoshoped pic of the Hivetyrant I found on dakka dakka. Haven't seen it here yet so here you go:

http://www.bobville.com/tyrant3.jpg

Unluckily, it needs a long time to load.

Brimstone
20-03-2005, 12:02
I like the Tyrant but I really really don't like the horn. I hope it has other head options.

If not like the carnifex the first thing I'll be doing is cutting it off.

Wraith
20-03-2005, 12:08
I'm undecided on the horn... it may well look better when the Tyrant is equiped with scything talons compared to when it isn't.

Asher
20-03-2005, 12:18
I like the horn. But aren't there at least four other options (the ones seen in the round-up)?

Wraith
20-03-2005, 12:55
Are you reffering to the pictures of the various Carnifex heads?

boogle
20-03-2005, 12:58
the paint job does nothing for that model

Asher
20-03-2005, 13:03
Are you reffering to the pictures of the various Carnifex heads?

Ah, right! I just realized that the metal model is the one to be sold and the head is already put on (as it seems).

boogle
20-03-2005, 13:19
but if you look the resin cast head is slightly different for the Tyrant and we may get a choice of heads (plus we may have the option of using a Carnie head if they are the right size to use)

BrotherMarine40K
20-03-2005, 13:30
Nice, a definite improvement over the 3rd Edition ones with that silly "grin." However, I still prefer the leering skull-faced Tyrants from 2nd Edition. Those things looked positively EVIL...

And welcome back, Portent!!! :D

Wraith
21-03-2005, 00:31
A clear painted Hive Tyrant picture can be found here. (http://www.portent.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37&page=2&pp=10)

neXus6
21-03-2005, 00:40
the models metal, one of them is a resin cast

Thanks, I found out earlier today when I saw print offs of a picture with the big label saying "resin cast." :)

Yeah the old pincered, "implant attack" as it would be now, jaw was certainly scarier, but the new one is very cool.

anarchistica
21-03-2005, 01:24
I saw them. I hereby want to thank GW for making the new Stealers, Tyrant, Tyrant Guard and Zoanthrope suck, it will mean that i will be able to buy the old ones at around 25-50% off at the yearly GW sale at GW Amsterdam and still have the better looking models.

Oh, and as a special addendum, i would like to thank whoever got it in his head to bring back boneswords, i haven't had such a laugh since i saw the old Warriors in the 2nd edition codex. :)

Artemis_Quinn
21-03-2005, 01:38
Ahmen anarchistica! These new models are horrible! The warriors are modeled similar to the old ones so they aren't so bad ( though I haven't seen a good picture of them ). But the new tyrant is a step in the wrong direction and has me just overall disappointed with GW.

Marsekay
21-03-2005, 01:54
So far i like them all!
the only thing I dislike is the bad paintjob, looks a bit better on the tyrant, but not much. The GW canada ones are amazing though.

Remember these are base models, imagine what a few quality convertors are going to be doing with them. I think the results from the community will be brilliant. everyone will be bettering that paintjob.

philbrad2
21-03-2005, 02:11
More pics from Atlanta inc some of the new box artwork and codex cover on

http://www.bigjoeduke.com

Also MP3 of the 40K seminar around 10mb if you've the bandwidth.

:cool:

Adept
21-03-2005, 03:24
I saw them. I hereby want to thank GW for making the new Stealers, Tyrant, Tyrant Guard and Zoanthrope suck, it will mean that i will be able to buy the old ones at around 25-50% off at the yearly GW sale at GW Amsterdam and still have the better looking models.

Oh, and as a special addendum, i would like to thank whoever got it in his head to bring back boneswords, i haven't had such a laugh since i saw the old Warriors in the 2nd edition codex. :)

Ditto both those points. Boneswords are a terrible idea. Or to be more accurate, they have no place in what I imagine the Tyranids to be, which is a large insectoid 'hive' of creatures. Not humanoid at all, but completely alien and foreign.

twisted_mentat
21-03-2005, 03:33
I like the Tyrant but I really really don't like the horn. I hope it has other head options.

If not like the carnifex the first thing I'll be doing is cutting it off.

Agreed. Maybe Breaking the horn, akin to Old one eye...

or even just making a much more..cthulhu looking head out of green stuff....yea...that would work...i mean, the genestealers have the option, and i think i saw in the origonal forms someone had posted that gaunt also have similar heads....i may be mistaken...

Coppertop
21-03-2005, 04:54
am I the only one on this planet who doesn't like this trip back to 2nd ed. bugs? I mean really - they were awful! The zoanthrope totally didn't fit what he was supposed to be with the whole massive hulk appearance, the hive tyrant also lacked the leader look with the heavily hunched over pose, the carnifex was just down right disgusting with his head burried in his chest, the lictor had big squishy sausages for appendages (as opposed to the sleek blades of the 3rd ed.) and worst of all: the boneswords/lashwhips. The models were HOLDING them. HOLDING THEM for christs sake. Tyranids are suppose to mutate or evolve all their weapons and what not from their own flesh - so why would they be holding their bonesword or lashwhip?!

On a more personal note, I hate the journey back to 2nd Ed. for the bugs. The second edition bugs were hideous. They didn't look like the sleek, refined killing machines they were supposed to be. I mean come on - the carnifex's head was burried in his chest! As for this tyrant, I hate how he's hunched over, it takes away from the more intelligent look he's supposed to have. He's supposed to be the one relaying what the will of the Hive mind to the lesser beings. As is, he looks like a carnifex/quazimodo love child. I also hate the crazy ridges on his back, they look like fins. Last I checked, he wasn't supposed to be swimming.

GW, it looks like you've let me down again with the bugs. It looks like I'll be buying a 3rd ed. forge world hive tyrant. Damn, those are sweet.

neXus6
21-03-2005, 09:41
Boneswords are a terrible idea. Or to be more accurate, they have no place in what I imagine the Tyranids to be, which is a large insectoid 'hive' of creatures. Not humanoid at all, but completely alien and foreign.

I don't mind the Tyrant seeming more "intelligent," having the leader of the horde being a more complicated and thinking creature. Going from dogs to humans would be the same step as going from a Guant to a Tyrant in the intelligence and thinking for ones self. I rather like this idea as it returns the Tyrant to a state of command rather than just another pawn of the hive mind.
Just my view and I know others will disagree but hey thats what the 'net is about. :) :D

Wraith
21-03-2005, 10:09
I think you're all way over reacting on the Tyrant.

Now with the painted picture we can see that the Tyrant still is in keeping with the other 'Nids morphology - it has 6 limbs, chitin exoskeleton, and importantly the 5 cranial bony ridges.

People seem to have an issue with the bone sword and lash whip - I personally see what you're talking about but you're acting as if you HAVE to take them! The bone sword can only be taken by the Tyrant (and I have a feeling the lash whip will also similarly be limited). If you don't like said weapons slap on a pair of scything talons instead - problem solved.

The ridges on the Tyrants back IMHO look bad **** - the design rationale is that they are heat dispersers, and indeed on the Zoanthrope they release tiny organisims that attack near by enemies.

I personally think GW dropped the ball when they designed the new lictor - the body is ok to good but the scything talons are awful. Where's the stabbing blades? Now they're odd plated, barbed, 'poles' with a relatively small bony horn on the end - what the hell?

Mojaco
21-03-2005, 11:42
I'm not happy either. I like the current Tyrant with his huge helmet-like carapace. Best of all, you could clearly see how hormagaunts were related to warriors who were related to Tyrants. They looked like family. This guy does not look like a Warrior at all. He looks like the martial arts version of the broodlord.

I'll order a current tyrant head to put on this guy.

I bet they want to make Tyrants more human so we can associate with them more. Make them our characters, convert them to make them ours. However, I believe no one who picked Tyranids in the first place picked them because of any form of individuality. I want a swarm, not a swarm with some herders.

McMullet
21-03-2005, 11:47
Well, they certainly all look different. I'm not sure about the new Tyrant, I think I'll have to wait and see it in the flesh before I make my mind up whether or not to get one of the FW ones instead; I certainly don't like the 2nd ed. stylee bonesword/lashwhip thing. It almost seems like a model they've cobbled together out of a load of odd bits in an attempt to spread disinformation about the new model.

I think the Guard look like an improvement, at any rate, but again I'd like to see them in person, next to a Tyrant. I like the new Zoanthrope though, it looks pretty funky, although the colour schemes they're using are a bit rubbish IMHO.

Adept
21-03-2005, 13:01
I don't mind the Tyrant seeming more "intelligent," having the leader of the horde being a more complicated and thinking creature. Going from dogs to humans would be the same step as going from a Guant to a Tyrant in the intelligence and thinking for ones self. I rather like this idea as it returns the Tyrant to a state of command rather than just another pawn of the hive mind.
Just my view and I know others will disagree but hey thats what the 'net is about. :) :D

Yeah, I can understand that. I don't mind having a cunning, sentient and self aware hive tyrant. What irks me is that it no longer looks like how I imagine a tyranid. It looks like a human/tyranid cross. When I think 'hive tyrant', I imagine something a cross between th Alien Queen and a tyranid warrior. Large, spiky, but utterly alien and insectoid. More scuttle than stride, more talon than hand, more hunched and loping than upright, etc. The new tyrant, to me, looks like a person in a tyranid suit.

Adept
21-03-2005, 13:10
Now with the painted picture we can see that the Tyrant still is in keeping with the other 'Nids morphology - it has 6 limbs, chitin exoskeleton, and importantly the 5 cranial bony ridges.

Yeah, but six limbs and an exoskeleton do not the tyranid make.

[quote]The ridges on the Tyrants back IMHO look bad **** - the design rationale is that they are heat dispersers, and indeed on the Zoanthrope they release tiny organisims that attack near by enemies.

Yeah, I don't actually mind them too much.

I personally think GW dropped the ball when they designed the new lictor - the body is ok to good but the scything talons are awful. Where's the stabbing blades? Now they're odd plated, barbed, 'poles' with a relatively small bony horn on the end - what the hell?

I'm still undecided on the Lictor. The upper limbs, as you say, look wierd. But they also look cool, and could be used as more versatile climbing limbs during the lictors infiltration duties. I don't know if I like them more or less. I do know they don't look much like scything talons to me.

Wraith
21-03-2005, 13:28
Yeah, I can understand that. I don't mind having a cunning, sentient and self aware hive tyrant. What irks me is that it no longer looks like how I imagine a tyranid. It looks like a human/tyranid cross. When I think 'hive tyrant', I imagine something a cross between th Alien Queen and a tyranid warrior. Large, spiky, but utterly alien and insectoid. More scuttle than stride, more talon than hand, more hunched and loping than upright, etc. The new tyrant, to me, looks like a person in a tyranid suit.

I seriously believe that if you see a painted Tyrant that does not have the bone sword and lash whip you'll change your mind or at the least think better of the model.

Indeed if we saw the Tyrant with two sets of scything talons I doubt any 'man-in-a-suit' comments would be made.

Still, this happens a lot - people get an image in their head of something and then if reality deviates from it they get upset. I never rated the 'Alien Queen' Tyrant - it never fit with what I considered a Hive Tyrant - it looked too animalistic, not particularly psychic or intelligent, no charisma, in fact I thought it looked like some skinny 'Fex or other 'beast' (not intelligent leader).

The slight humanoid aspect of the Hive Tyrant is nice IMHO however I agree I don't like the concept of 'bone swords' and 'lash whips' - scything talons, and or rending claws will make this new Tyrant look more of a Tyranid. The Hive Tyrant on the front of the new codex has two sets of scything talons and IMHO it looks far from human-like.

Interestingly though I hate the new Brood Lord for similar reasons you're dubious about the new Tyrant - a little too human, 'man in a suit' looks etc.

Yeah, but six limbs and an exoskeleton do not the tyranid make.

I also mentioned the five cranial ridges... I don't know what else other than these things 'define' Tyranid morphology. The Tyrant's head even fits the current range with it's lack of a forehead but bulbous low slung cranium.

I'm still undecided on the Lictor. The upper limbs, as you say, look wierd. But they also look cool, and could be used as more versatile climbing limbs during the lictors infiltration duties. I don't know if I like them more or less. I do know they don't look much like scything talons to me.

I can see how the Lictors 'scything prodders' would be useful for climbing but they don't match the rest of the 'Nid range; indeed, these 'scything prodders' are as much (if not more IMHO) a contradiction to the 'Nid morphology than the Hive Tyrant's lash whip and bone sword...

charlie_c67
21-03-2005, 13:48
Personally I think it's gonna be a case of wait and see, people are basing their comments on a set of photos painted and modelled by one bloke. Wait till you physically see it. The same happened with the release of marines, a lot of people admitted that the models were better than first thought. The paint scheme adds to or detracts from the model a lot. IIRC Boogle proved this when he posted his version of Tigurius (sp?) and it looked ten times better than the official one.

Adept
21-03-2005, 14:14
I seriously believe that if you see a painted Tyrant that does not have the bone sword and lash whip you'll change your mind or at the least think better of the model.

Indeed if we saw the Tyrant with two sets of scything talons I doubt any 'man-in-a-suit' comments would be made.

You're probably right. This is only my initial opinion based on the only pictures we have seen so far.

Interestingly though I hate the new Brood Lord for similar reasons you're dubious about the new Tyrant - a little too human, 'man in a suit' looks etc.

I dont mind the human-ness of the Brood Lord. Mostly I figure that is a 'stealers thang, to be partially human in appearance. I don't like that in a bug though, so I don't use any 'stealers even in my all CC army.

neXus6
21-03-2005, 14:39
Maybe it's a C'tan in an Tyrant suit...:p ;)
*watches the C'tan theory police closing in*

Thing is my vision of a hive Tyrant comes from the 2nd ed. artwork, other than that I'm not really sure how I would like the tyrant to look. The previous one just didn't seem right, a bit to skinny not powerful enough.
Maybe if the bonesword was more of an integrated part of the beast rather than simply being held, I dunno just making it look different from a scything talon but not quite as "human."
But yes it would probably look pretty cool with scything talons or for that matter rending claws.

thenorm42
01-04-2005, 14:33
I really like the Tyrant - a move away from the silly Red Dwarf Polymorph-a-likes of 3rd ed. Tyranids are supposed to be emotionless, they shouldn't grin! New Genestealers and Lictor are decent too.

Akuma
01-04-2005, 14:36
The old ona was alomos alien queen like with imho was bad as wh40k world doesnt need to copy anything - current one is mauch much better and I'm glad bonesword is back if it realy does what it' said to then :D ...

Randallw
02-04-2005, 11:35
The silhouete of the carnifex has potential. I am thinking of grabbing 2 when they come out and using them as the basis for a scythed Hierodule. Does the Rumour still go that they are the size and cost (in money) of a rhino?.

Wraith
03-04-2005, 20:31
The new silhouete of the carnifex in the round up looks very interesting - it has the crushing claws option which actually look fairly good...

My only concern is it's seemingly narrow waist.

Still the head (in this case the one with the tusks) looks really good and well positioned.

It certainly looks powerful but lumbering and spiny... hope they haven't over done the spines.

TheSonOfAbbadon
03-04-2005, 20:33
Let's hope the head isn't like the old 'smiley' head.

Brimstone
03-04-2005, 20:41
Let's hope the head isn't like the old 'smiley' head.

We have already seen the heads, look in the roundup.

I think the waist is just the way it's shown (well I hope so).

The Beast
04-04-2005, 20:04
Is it just me or does the carnifex kinda remind you of the current biovores? And the new lictor doesn't look that much different from the current lictor imo. It's top ST are the same build if you look carefully, they're just compacted as fulloy as possible.

Cheitan Shadowless
04-04-2005, 22:28
Ah, so sweet to see Portent slowly rise from the ashes - hopefully for good.

If the real deal pleases me as much as this silhouette, then all is good. It looks delectably wasp-waisted/crustacean/alien and, most important of all, monstrous.
Can't wait to see the actual model! :D

self biased
07-04-2005, 18:52
WAAAAHHH! [i]is totally ruined! that sculpt of [i]is the worst that Games Workshop has ever produced. the ones from [i]are infinitely better than the overpriced crap that they're giving us now!

i mean, come on people. should i call the waaaahmbulance to rescue you? get a grip. the biggest reason people like the older models is nostalgia. plain and simple. don't like the sculpts? fine. save your money and go have a lobotomy.

Nazguire
09-04-2005, 23:50
WAAAAHHH! [i]is totally ruined! that sculpt of [i]is the worst that Games Workshop has ever produced. the ones from [i]are infinitely better than the overpriced crap that they're giving us now!

i mean, come on people. should i call the waaaahmbulance to rescue you? get a grip. the biggest reason people like the older models is nostalgia. plain and simple. don't like the sculpts? fine. save your money and go have a lobotomy.

Wrong, some of the older models WERE better than what they are producing now, not specifically Tyranids. I know I sure as hell prefer the old Striking Scorpion models to the new Kung Fu Bunnies. The old Lictor was way better than the 3rd edition one, even if the differences were only really slight, the 2nd edition Tyrant was better than the 3rd edition one, which the majority agree with. Some people like the older scuplts due to nostalgia, but Eldar and Tyranid players are an exception to this rule generally.

Tom
10-04-2005, 00:18
Although fair play, the Eldar do have the moral high ground there but often it's just lost through the fact that they tend to hate everything and seem to play the game through gritted teeth*...

Actually, no, but anyway. The new Tyrant. Love it for the most part, don't like the flesh hooks, it needs scything talons because the bonesword, despite having a cool effect ruleswise, sucks to high hell, and I'm not too worried by the fat that it has the pot noodle horn.

*may be satire.

self biased
10-04-2005, 03:13
Wrong, some of the older models WERE better than what they are producing now, not specifically Tyranids. I know I sure as hell prefer the old Striking Scorpion models to the new Kung Fu Bunnies. The old Lictor was way better than the 3rd edition one, even if the differences were only really slight, the 2nd edition Tyrant was better than the 3rd edition one, which the majority agree with. Some people like the older scuplts due to nostalgia, but Eldar and Tyranid players are an exception to this rule generally.

i realize this, but too many people do nothing but complain about everything that gw does. a knee-jerk reaction, if you will. i like the new lictor, as it looks more sinuous than previous versions. and i do agree about the middle tyrant, and will raise you the middle carnifex as well. the only thing i dislike about the old tyrant is that it had one setup, and that's it.

i do like the new scorpions, though.

Nazguire
10-04-2005, 04:23
i realize this, but too many people do nothing but complain about everything that gw does. a knee-jerk reaction, if you will. i like the new lictor, as it looks more sinuous than previous versions. and i do agree about the middle tyrant, and will raise you the middle carnifex as well. the only thing i dislike about the old tyrant is that it had one setup, and that's it.

i do like the new scorpions, though.

Ooops sorry if I was overly aggressive :)

boogle
10-04-2005, 09:45
can ijust point out that all those that are saying they love the 2nd ed Tyrant, do you also love its bonesword?, because i can't really see much difference between that one and this new one.

Also RE Eldar, its not just the Scorps, the Hawks and Dragons were much better the 1st time around, only the Banshees can out better, but sadlythey are our of proportion to the rest of the Eldar range (even taking into the fact that they are on tip toes), I do believe that the new stuff is Mike McVeys, so we may see a revamp of some of the Aspect warriors when the Eldar Dexis redone (hopefully Jes will redo them)

self biased
12-04-2005, 21:25
hawks and dragons got bad sculpts, too? nah. i could see why people don't like the new scorpions, but everything else?

Black Ambience
12-04-2005, 23:05
On the Bone Sword - I don't see what the big problem with it is. Yes, Tyranids often have their weaponry melded with their body, but why should this be the case all the time? Taking into account the weapon's effects, I think it's fairly sensible that the Tyrant can "let go" of it if it chooses to with minimal fuss. Besides, there are huge Talons that can go with the Tyrant if you so choose.

boogle
13-04-2005, 07:44
hawks and dragons got bad sculpts, too? nah. i could see why people don't like the new scorpions, but everything else?
the Old Dragons just look much better for some reason, th new Hawks just need a fat bearded leader to shout ''Squadron 40, DIVE!!!!!!!''

charlie_c67
13-04-2005, 09:03
Is that from looking at the models Boogle or just pics of them? Cos I must admit I don't think the fire dragons or swooping hawks are too bad. Though I do agree strongly that the scorps are *****.

boogle
13-04-2005, 12:33
both really, there is just something about the old Dragons that says they are better, and the Hawks are too near to Flash Gordon for my liking (not that I hate Flash Gordon), with their wings, plus they have options in the codex and no models for them, and some of the options are pretty difficlut to do