PDA

View Full Version : 2250 HE friendly, newbie list

verax
07-04-2010, 03:34
So, I am brand new to Warhammer. Played my first ever game a few days ago, and I'm hooked. I've decided that I like the High Elves. My friends play 2250 games. I want to make a decently powerfull, but not over the top army. I wanted it to be fairly newbie friendly, as I've only played 2 games thus far. I love White Lions from lore, so I wanted a Chrace flavor army.

So here is what I'm thinking so far:

1 Prince: Star Dragon, Dragon Armour; Shield, Vambraces of Defence, Star Lance - 627 Pts

1 Noble: (goes with the WL's) Great Weapon; Dragon Armour; BSB; Battle Banner - 204 Pts

1 Mage: (bunkered in the Seaguards) LVL 2, Annulian Crystal, Gem of Courage - 185 Pts

2 Lion Chariot - 280 Pts

16 White Lions (full command), Lion Standard - 310 Pts

1 Great Eagles @ 50 Pts

1 Repeater Bolt Thrower @ 100 Pts

14 Seaguard (full command and shield) - 220 Pts

10 Archers - 110 Pts

Total Army Cost so far: 2186

I know that the dragon is considered cheesy, but it seems like a good starting point for me. In the future, maybe go Griffon instead.

I know that the Seaguard are disputed, and poo-poo'd, but I'd like to try them. I figure that I can like them up 10 accross with a second rank of 5 to shoot, then when something closes on them, do a reform to a 5x3 for more durability. The idea would be that they stay to help protect the RBTs. (my friend likes to play tomb kings, and has these annoying scorpions that come up behind the lines.)

The Noble in the White Lions with the Battle Banner gives them not only durability, but brings some punch I think.

The Mage will bunker in with the Seaguards for a little protection. He's mainly a defensive tool, to make sure we don't get pelted too badly with magic.

I've still got some tweaking to do, and some points left, but I wanted to get some expert opinions before it's too late. I'm eager to start buying and putting them together! :)

Feel free to blast the newbie, that's what I need right now, to show me the error in my ways.

thanks again,

Verax

Lord Anathir
07-04-2010, 12:47
...the first 2 things you see after the words 'friendly' and 'newbie' are not the words 'star dragon' and 'battle banner' oO are you kidding?

this is what I play for a friendly list, but I have 7 years of experience with HE:
lvl4, wand, 3 scrolls, incense
bsb on horse, armor, shield, helm of fortune, foe bane (or sword of might)
20 spears, flag, lion standard
20 LSG, flag
10 archers
20 Phoenix guard, flag, c, sorcery
14 swords, flag, c, balance, loec
2 tiranoc chariots
2 rbt
2 eagles

verax
07-04-2010, 13:50
So the dragon is that bad huh?

I love the model, so I would really like to stick to "a" dragon. Is the sun dragon considered an OK choice for an offensive prince?

Thanks again

verax
07-04-2010, 13:52
Also, what standard do you typically put with your LSG?

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

cheers.

verax
07-04-2010, 15:59
Ok, modifying to lose the Sun dragon, and picked up another mage:

1 Prince: Sun Dragon, Dragon Armour; Shield, Vambraces of Defence, Star Lance - 627 Pts

1 Noble: (goes with the WL's) Great Weapon; Dragon Armour; BSB; Battle Banner - 204 Pts

1 Mage: LVL 2, Jewel of Dusk, dispell scroll- 170 Pts
1 Mage: LVL 2, Seerstaff- 165Pts

2 Lion Chariot - 280 Pts

17 White Lions (full command), Lion Standard - 310 Pts

1 Great Eagles @ 50 Pts

19 Seaguard (full command and shield) - 272 Pts

10 Archers - 110 Pts

Total Army Cost: 2245

Would this be a bit better to play with friends?

cheers, and thanks again.

verax

enyoss
07-04-2010, 16:31
I think if you stick to Sun or Moon dragon you should be fine. I can understand how you probably want most points per dollar when you're starting out, and dragons definitely provide that.

What you have above seems fine (the cost is wrong for the Prince though if he is on a Sun Dragon, at least I think it is). A couple of issues are:

1) It might sound obvious, but in order to get any benefit from your BSB he has to be alive :D. As it is, with T3 and only a 5+ armour save, he will be dead by the end of the first combat. That means no more re-rolls, no +1 combat resolution, no Battle Banner, and an automatic 100 VPs to your opponent. Although the Battle Banner is tempting, I always say that your magic item allowance should be focussed towards keeping the BSB alive (Guardian Phoenix and Armour of Caledor are a great combo, and allow you to use your great weapon unheeded too). If you want to use the Battle Banner, then make sure you mount and fully armour the BSB to increase his chances of survival (this is an OK build actually, and he can still go in infantry units).

2) I'd juggle the items on your mages a little. The spare 20pts on the Seerstaff mage is perfect for the Dispel Scroll. I'd then take the Ring of Fury and Silver Wand on the second mage.

3) A good banner for your LSG? That would be the Warbanner. It's the workhorse of magic banners!

Overall, I like your list :). I'm not sure why, but it does feel slightly different to most lists, and should be fine to play with and against. What's more, if you budget with a Sun Dragon to begin with, you can always ratchet up the competitiveness by upgrading to Moon or Star as you see fit, without having to re-haul the rest of the army.

Let us know who you get on :).

verax
07-04-2010, 17:27
Yeah, I forgot to redo the points on the prince when I changed it. So now here is what it looks like after incorporating the changes:

1 Prince: Sun Dragon, Dragon Armour; Shield, Vambraces of Defence, Star Lance - 484 Pts

1 Noble: (goes with the WL's) Armor of Caledor, Guardian Phoenix, The White Sword- 200 Pts

1 Mage: LVL 2, Seerstaff, dispell scroll- 185 Pts
1 Mage: LVL 2, Silver Wand, Ring of Fury- 185Pts

2 Lion Chariot - 280 Pts

17 White Lions (full command), Lion Standard - 310 Pts

1 Great Eagle @ 50 Pts

2 Repeater Bolt Thrower @ 200 Pts

15 Seaguard (full command and shield), War Banner - 240 Pts

10 Archers - 110 Pts

Total Army Cost: 2244

Thanks again for all the help. Does it look friendly and competative enough to win a few?

cheers!

Verax

enyoss
07-04-2010, 18:41
That seems pretty good I reckon.

One note though: the Noble can only have 50pts of magic items (this restriction is waived if he picks a Magic Banner, but the banner must then be his only magic item, even if it's cost is under 50pts). I'd ditch the white sword, but remember you will then need to buy him a great weapon if you want to keep the S6 attacks (which you will :)).

verax
07-04-2010, 19:09
Great, thanks! I really appreciate the help. I Think it's time to go buy a few things. :)

Tarian
07-04-2010, 19:11
Remember that the Dragon takes a hero slot, so you need to either drop a mage or the BSB.

enyoss
07-04-2010, 19:57
Remember that the Dragon takes a hero slot, so you need to either drop a mage or the BSB.

Wow, I can't believe I didn't spot that! Tarian is right, you've got too many characters. On the bright side, that will give you some spare points for more troops. A cavalry unit might be a good idea?

verax
08-04-2010, 01:32
Good catch. I've got some thinking to do again.

I guess I'll go back to one mage, and make him more defensive. (annulian crystal?)

With dropping the Battle Banner and reducing the dragon, my offensive power suffered a bit. Maybe add some more punch with another chariot.

Thanks again.

Tarian
08-04-2010, 03:02
I'd consider either:

a) Dropping the dragon and getting a horse mounted Lord with some Dragon Princes (Very nice hammer unit)

or

b) Putting 2x dispel scrolls instead of the crystal (Seems more useful to me to have the scrolls)

If you *really* want the dragon, I'd consider upping him to a Moon (or even Star) as Dragons are kinda a eggs in one basket unit.

That said, I still like having horse mounted lords.