PDA

View Full Version : Emergency meeting?

Orcboy_Phil
07-04-2010, 17:46
The local GW is closed on Games night this week due to an emergency meeting down in reading. Anybody know how widespread this is and possibly what its about. Any news on stores being shut etc...?

Chaos and Evil
07-04-2010, 18:19
Speculation, but is it possibly related to this: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253210

Llew
07-04-2010, 18:44
Would that really merit an emergency meeting? Couldn't a memo cover it?

sliganian
07-04-2010, 19:01
Would that really merit an emergency meeting? Couldn't a memo cover it?

Unless....the Killa Kan is only the tip of a nasty regulatory iceberg for GW??

Oh my that would be an exciting development...

x-esiv-4c
07-04-2010, 19:05
That being the case, this could be all just to do with damage control.
Any idea what EU regulation was breeched?

Llew
07-04-2010, 19:28
The other thread addresses it pretty well. Apparently the Killa Kan doesn't meet the safety reqs for toys, so it will require some additional stickering and there may be a problem selling it in the stores.

Slashattack
07-04-2010, 19:47
It might have something to do with the maidenhead store move?

Shamutanti
08-04-2010, 04:19
2 Stores in my area are shut today because of the Reading meet and potentially a third. Seems it's a surprise, unknown, meeting concerning 'something' than no one seems to know of.

I've been sitting here for the last few hours blasting away at MW2 whilst my housemate paces back and forth behind me muttering about what it could be about. He's worried about it eitherway - probably cause he has to go whilst I teach small children how to play a real game of virtual soldiers! Sucka! :D

Slashattack
08-04-2010, 08:20
Thats interesting, so it must be something important then, not just issues over killa kans. Maybe southern england/wales is the first area to be completely converted to their one store policy. Therefore the meeting could be a meeting over layoffs.

Narf
08-04-2010, 09:59
well share price hasnt moved so i wouldnt be too worried.

blongbling
08-04-2010, 10:58
well share price hasnt moved so i wouldnt be too worried.

that has little or nothing to do with it. The share price is generally reactionary and doesn't fluctuate on internal meetings.

Narf
08-04-2010, 11:22
exactly so in this regard it not something company changing or relativly bad to the company overall.

Hence not too much to worry about as invisible internet people ;)

sliganian
08-04-2010, 13:09
So, one day later, what was the verdict?

RevEv
08-04-2010, 13:19
Hang on a moment - was this just a regional 'Emergency Meeting' or a national one held in regional centres?

If it was just regional I wouldn't be too worried, unless you live in that region (I do).

If it was national I would really worry.

Shamutanti
08-04-2010, 15:14
So, one day later, what was the verdict?

Flatmate just got back. He's sitting on the couch looking angry. I sense a night of bitterness.

Him and about 14 others being made redundant.

5th/6th company stores in his area being turned into 1man stores run by managers.

Slashattack
08-04-2010, 15:37
Ouch. They'll soon probably start rolling this out across the Uk then I guess.

Condottiere
08-04-2010, 15:37
Should have seen that coming, unless the policy wasn't spelled out clearly by the management. Unless this was a sudden implementation, hence the emergency meeting.

Lord Malorne
08-04-2010, 15:42
That sucks.

RevEv
08-04-2010, 18:41
Not a nice thing to happen at all - but, from bitter experience, life does get better.

GideonRavenor
08-04-2010, 19:09
I'm now beginning to wonder what constitues a 5th/6th company store...

I presume they're the smaller ones.

Chaos and Evil
08-04-2010, 19:15
I'm now beginning to wonder what constitues a 5th/6th company store...

I presume they're the smaller ones.

Less profitable, not nessesarily smaller.

captain of the 1st
08-04-2010, 19:23
given just over a weeks notice and goodbye..no thank you, no anything. this company continually asked so much of us in terms of pushing products on to people and to 'go for the sale' and now that they are done with us to save themselves some money we are put to the side with no thought.

i wont stop painting and playing but i will stop buying from gw stores.

Finn Sourscowl
08-04-2010, 19:28
given just over a weeks notice and goodbye..no thank you, no anything. this company continually asked so much of us in terms of pushing products on to people and to 'go for the sale' and now that they are done with us to save themselves some money we are put to the side with no thought.

i wont stop painting and playing but i will stop buying from gw stores.

While I feel your pain, this is how all companies act. Mine was the same. You work your backside off for them and then one day it's "oh dear, our profitability is dropping - see that door, bye bye". Staff are just numbers to the people who make these decisions.

A week's notice is VERY harsh though!

t-tauri
08-04-2010, 20:55
A week's notice is VERY harsh though!

If you've worked for more than a year you are entitled to more notice. One week per year up to 12 weeks notice.

See the TUC helppage (http://www.tuc.org.uk/tuc/rights_redundancy.cfm).

Grimstonefire
08-04-2010, 21:12
Good advice t-tauri. I think those made redundant should pass the message on to read into it. It would not surprise me at all if GW had done this unfairly (edit; read below ;)).

selfconstrukt
08-04-2010, 22:12
At least you get some notice.

In the US when you get fired you are immediately shown out the door, unless you get laid off which means right after the meeting where they give you the bad news you get shown out the door but you get a severance pay.

That's only if you get laid off. Most of the time HR will use the Will to Work/Right to Work laws (whichever one it's called) and just fire you for some meager petty reason so they can save some money. The longer you work for a company, the more likely they are to find a reason to fire you instead of laying you off.

Then after that, you try to file for unemployment and find you are not eligible because you got fired. Your usually only eligible for unemployment benefits if you lose your job through no fault of your own. at least in Tennessee that's how unemployment works.

yabbadabba
08-04-2010, 22:28
It would not surprise me at all if GW had done this unfairly. Really? :rolleyes:

This is always a difficult time and I have sympathy for those involved. I would advise everyone to read through carefully all paperwork including contracts and staff handbooks. If you are concerned seek professional advice including your own HR department. I wish you all the best of luck.

Reinholt
08-04-2010, 22:57
Then after that, you try to file for unemployment and find you are not eligible because you got fired. Your usually only eligible for unemployment benefits if you lose your job through no fault of your own. at least in Tennessee that's how unemployment works.

While Tennessee is a tougher state with regard to unemployment for workers than others, this is not entirely true. To fire you for cause, they actually need to have a reason that meets a certain set of criteria (such as not discriminating, etc, etc), and while companies may try to fire people, you can contest this (and often, if they find out you are going to, they cave because it's cheaper to pay you than pay a lawyer to fight you).

Always be aware of your rights and your options; just because someone tells you they are going to treat you some way does not necessarily mean they are going to get away with it. The best defense is to be fully informed and proactive. Tennessee sets the bar higher, but if you understand how the interaction works, it is not insurmountable in all cases.

This is always a difficult time and I have sympathy for those involved. I would advise everyone to read through carefully all paperwork including contracts and staff handbooks. If you are concerned seek professional advice including your own HR department. I wish you all the best of luck.

If you have already been laid off, I would advise against this. They have already demonstrated their intent is to remove you, and HR will be pressured to do so as cheaply as possible.

You may be able to rely on them to provide copies of documents, but beyond that, understand what their motivations are when advising you. If possible, I would suggest that government regulatory agencies or independent counsel would be much more useful to you here. As a last resort, do your own online research first.

Don't assume your HR department did everything correctly or has the last word; you often have negotiating options to increase your cut on the way out the door, and it's not in their best interests to let you know that.

yabbadabba
08-04-2010, 23:01
If you have already been laid off, I would advise against this. They have already demonstrated their intent is to remove you, and HR will be pressured to do so as cheaply as possible.

You may be able to rely on them to provide copies of documents, but beyond that, understand what their motivations are when advising you. If possible, I would suggest that government regulatory agencies or independent counsel would be much more useful to you here. As a last resort, do your own online research first.

Don't assume your HR department did everything correctly or has the last word; you often have negotiating options to increase your cut on the way out the door, and it's not in their best interests to let you know that. I still would. While I don't disagree with Reinholt's suggestions on intentions, having gone through the unpleasant situation of laying people off, every bit of professional and legal advice given to those people, in the UK, has included having a dialogue with the HR department.
Still get independent advice though.

Grimstonefire
08-04-2010, 23:09
Really? :rolleyes:

Oh, you know what I meant! :p

Without due regard for regulations on giving notice. For instance, I believe if you are made redundant your employer is entitled to only give you a weeks notice, but they still have to pay you for the notice period you were actually entitled to receive.

If GW have not done this there would certainly be questions to answer.

Don't take my word for it though, people should get proper advice.

yabbadabba
08-04-2010, 23:24
Oh, you know what I meant! :p
Without due regard for regulations on giving notice. For instance, I believe if you are made redundant your employer is entitled to only give you a weeks notice, but they still have to pay you for the notice period you were actually entitled to receive.
If GW have not done this there would certainly be questions to answer.
Don't take my word for it though, people should get proper advice. This isn't against you mate ;) ... ...

We have to be aware that there might be quite a few young lads involved with this who are losing their first ever job and could be feeling very, very scared or worried. We should be careful about what we write, particularly anything that might indicate illegal activity or anything else dodgy or untoward. These chaps just need to get to know their rights and make some decisions in a cool and calm way.

DeadInTheHead
09-04-2010, 12:35
The timing of all this downsizing seems a bit odd to say the least. The UK economy started experiencing growth in the last two or three quarters.

As for advice to the recently redundant, read and re-read the contract, specifically the section on redundancy and/or notice periods. If you have any questions or spot any discrepancies, you should certainly speak to your HR (or even you manager if you get on well enough). If you're not happy or unsure about what they're telling you, speak to your local CAB (Citizens Advice Bureau), or call the TUC Pay & Work Rights Helpline 0800 917 2368.

blongbling
09-04-2010, 12:57
DeadintheHead, this isn't downsizing it is part of making the store chain more profitable, err I mean profitable.

GW is well known for not being very good at this firing/redundancy thing so I would really seek legal advice if you were made redundant during this period.

Wolf Scout Ewan
09-04-2010, 17:11
Always check your contract of employment.

From experience GW will have a 6 month "getting to know you" clause which says you can be terminated in that time without reason. Which may or may not be legal in your area so legal advice time.

However after that 6 months you are covered by the same laws as anyone else and they have to give you a verbal warning, a written warning and then and only then can they fire you. Plus they have to put you through a disciplinary process to give you the chance to change your ways.

I would definately go get legal advice!

Wintertooth
09-04-2010, 17:39
However after that 6 months you are covered by the same laws as anyone else and they have to give you a verbal warning, a written warning and then and only then can they fire you. Plus they have to put you through a disciplinary process to give you the chance to change your ways.

Reducing staff levels in stores would be a clear case of redundancy, not firing. None of the above applies.

If you have been made redundant in the UK, you can read about your rights here: Directgov (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/RedundancyAndLeavingYourJob/Redundancy/index.htm).

rich1231
09-04-2010, 17:56
If anyone in Essex is impacted by this can you please get in touch.

Nunnja
09-04-2010, 18:04
Having worked in retail for 8 years and then mercifully escaped, I'd just like to offer this advice to the guys who may have been affected by GW's rought treatment of them: This is the norm in the retail sector, but you don't have to let it crush you.

There's always something better out there, something you can come to love more than the last job, yuo just have to believe in it :)

Good luck to you all, and keep your chin(s) up!

The Ginger Ninja
09-04-2010, 23:17
Man, thats terrible. Its wrong that GW can do that to you guys, there must be something in the law against this.
anyone know how many stores are affected?

RevEv
09-04-2010, 23:36
Although this is terrible news right now for those involved, and having been made redundant it is terrible, there is a plus side.

They have got their hobby back. They may not feel like supporting GW just at the moment but, having worked in a store, I found myself hating painting when I got home. I'd spend all day painting store stuff, gaming with the numptees that were infesting the store at the time (alongside some very good gamers as well) and fending off parents who treated the store as unpaid childcare that the last thing I wanted to do was paint at home. It wasn't until I was on a religious retreat prior to my ordination that I started to paint for fun again, the Fransiscan Friars were a bit perplexed by this.

On the legal side this is a clear case of redundancy. In that case there should be a clear redundancy package, but this depends on how long you have worked for the company. This link may prove useful for advice - the Guide on Redundency and Insolvency from the Governments website
http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/pdfs/guidanceleafletspdf/guideforemployees.pdf

Crazy Harborc
10-04-2010, 02:05
IMHO, unless/or until someone that has been unfairly treated hires legal help and threatens to go to court many companies (like GW) get away with whatever they do.

If no one complains/sues/etc.....why then nothing "wrong" has occured.:rolleyes:

marv335
10-04-2010, 06:13
The Redundancy package won't be good, Legally, you're not entitled until you've worked for them for two years, and then it's one weeks wages for every year you've worked. (capped at 350 per week maximum)
They can offer more if they want, but that's all they are obliged to offer.

Also, as I recall from last year , when I was made redundant, if the company employs more than 20 people, they have to have employee consultations, consult unions, and try to offer other employment within the company.

Narf
10-04-2010, 09:26
they only have to consult unions if a certain % of the employee for that company are ina union - which with GW i doubt very much

t-tauri
10-04-2010, 12:14
they only have to consult unions if a certain % of the employee for that company are ina union - which with GW i doubt very much
They must consult the workforce, whether unionised or not, as long as they are making more than 20 people redundant.
From here:

See the TUC helppage (http://www.tuc.org.uk/tuc/rights_redundancy.cfm).

If your employer intends to make more than 20 people redundant over a 90 day period, he or she must, by law, consult the workforce. If your employer recognises a union, it must be consulted. If not, your employer must establish a representative body or make use of an existing representative body, for example, a staff council, which must be elected by the entire workforce.

Anyone who's been made redundant needs to contact the TUC or Citizen's Advice to check they've been properly treated and are receiving what they are legally entitled to in terms of notice and redundancy pay.

richred_uk
10-04-2010, 13:06
They must consult the workforce, whether unionised or not, as long as they are making more than 20 people redundant.

Only if it's 20 people from one "establishment".

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/RedundancyAndLeavingYourJob/Redundancy/DG_10026616

If it's less than 20 from one "establishment" then your rights are as follows:

* your employer should select the employees fairly
* you should be warned and consulted about the redundancy
* your employer should take reasonable steps to redeploy affected employees
* you should get any redundancy pay you are due, and be given the correct amount of notice
* your employer should consider any alternatives to redundancy

The difference re: consultation would appear to be that if it's from one establishment, the whole workforce, usually via a union, is consulted, if it's not from one establishment, only the individual will be consulted.

Good luck to anyone affected.

LuciusAR
10-04-2010, 14:34
Good luck to anyone affected by this decision. Having been made redundant myself in the past I know your pain.

My current GW already suffers for lack of staff, if they strip this to a single manger then I'm boycotting the store on principle. Not that I give GW much money directly these days anyway.

yabbadabba
10-04-2010, 14:37
Good luck to anyone affected by this decision. Having been made redundant myself in the past I know your pain.

My current GW already suffers for lack of staff, if they strip this to a single manger then I'm boycotting the store on principle. Not that I give GW much money directly these days anyway. Hmm not helping the manager much there.

A barrage of letters and getting a bit of instore customer support might help. All you are going to do by withdrawing your cash support is make that manager's life a little harder, and possibly contribute to him getting disciplined or fired for lack of performance. Or they might not miss you :evilgrin:

captain of the 1st
10-04-2010, 16:21
as someone who is currently being affected by this i would just like to say thank you for all your support and for the extremely useful links.

i guess i can put a bunch of stuff on ebay now...

Mahwell Skel
12-04-2010, 13:32
...The difference re: consultation would appear to be that if it's from one establishment, the whole workforce, usually via a union, is consulted, if it's not from one establishment, only the individual will be consulted.

Good luck to anyone affected.

Well whichever it would appear the Reading meeting may cover any ambiguity. Often you can get a better redunadancy deal by having a compomise agreement.

Good Luck everyone.

StraightSilver
12-04-2010, 14:07
First of all my sincerest condolescences to all those who have lost their jobs due to this, it's never easy but unfortunately as has been said it is happening an awful lot in the UK of late.

Now onto my point.

Call me cynical, but does anyone else notice the correlation between the changes demanded of independent stores and the timing of GW reducing their retail footprint?

Last year all independent retailers were told that to maintain their discounts they must have a store with a window to the street (presumably to display product), have at least one games table and run introductory games.

If they did not comply with this then their margins were slashed, forcing them to either take a cut in profits (and quite a significant one) or open a store.

I know that some of the biggest online GW independents complied with this, Wayland now have a store, Maelstrom have a new store, Darksphere have a store etc.

Was this not a piece of strategy to ensure that the independents take up the slack once GW reduced many of its stores down to 35hr per week one man stores?

A lot of GW focus has always been on intro gaming to entice new blood into the hobby, as their initial spend is quite significant, but intro games, painting lessons etc have always been free, and although no doubt helped boost GW profits I daresay that the shareholders didn't agree.

Having been a retail manager for 16 years (6 of those with GW) I have no doubt that 1 man stores will struggle to provide anything like intro games, painting lessons etc.

One man working a 35hr week on his own will not be able to serve customers, stock shelves, order new stock (of course stock replenishment is now automatic on GW tills - but it is isn't anywhere near accurate enough right now), cash up, clean the store and paint figures on his own.

I know that these are effectively no different to the old satellite stores GW had 15 years ago (GW Beckenham anyone?), but these were scrapped because they simply didn't work and no manager would touch them with a barge pole as they were the death knell of anyone's career!

Anyway, I digress.

My point is that this has no doubt been part of GW's business plan for quite some time, and may look like a smart plan to the financiers as it will save them money on their bottom line, but as someone with a lot of retail experience I can tell you that this simply won't work, and will push it's customer base to buy their product online, where it can be bought cheaper from independents.

But it also means that there really could havebeen more consultation with staff up to this point, but from experience I know the staff are always the last to know!

And finally a word of good luck to all those who hav lost their jobs, don't worry things will be ok. I left GW a long time ago and have never looked back, but still love the hobby.

reds8n
12-04-2010, 14:17
as someone who is currently being affected by this i would just like to say thank you for all your support and for the extremely useful links.

i guess i can put a bunch of stuff on ebay now...

Good luck to you and all the others affected.

Keep your chins up.

blongbling
12-04-2010, 14:40
Call me cynical, but does anyone else notice the correlation between the changes demanded of independent stores and the timing of GW reducing their retail footprint?
Gw isnt reducing its footprint, its is reducing the overheads in its store and opening more stores

Last year all independent retailers were told that to maintain their discounts they must have a store with a window to the street (presumably to display product), have at least one games table and run introductory games.

also not true. In order to be considered a premium stockist this was true but as they meant to have gaming tables and run intro games in their stores this seems reasonable. Your standard store saw no change to their discounts at all

Was this not a piece of strategy to ensure that the independents take up the slack once GW reduced many of its stores down to 35hr per week one man stores?
you are assuming that GW is organised, also not true :) The two parts of this just happen to work together. The trading changes were a direct counter to the threat of internet stores to the GW retail chain, its indies and to the vast investment they had put into their webstore, nothing more than that. The pilot for the one man stores was running as a separate entity in order to explore the smaller locations that a store could profitably be opened in order to not have to rely on indie stores.

Having been a retail manager for 16 years (6 of those with GW) I have no doubt that 1 man stores will struggle to provide anything like intro games, painting lessons etc.
agreed, the business model will have to change from being recruitment centre to retail outlets if they are to move forward with one man stores. Having run GW stores myself as well and done some days by myself it is impossible to manage to do everything all at once. However the stores are smaller and the amount of sales are smaller so there is the option that they wont be as busy but.....

I know that these are effectively no different to the old satellite stores GW had 15 years ago (GW Beckenham anyone?), but these were scrapped because they simply didn't work and no manager would touch them with a barge pole as they were the death knell of anyone's career!
totally agree, one man stores were done before and they failed, history may well repeat itself as none of the senior staff seem to remember that this was done once before

yabbadabba
12-04-2010, 15:16
Hmm GW Beckenham a satellite store? Not as I remember and certainly not in the traditonal term of a "satellite" store.

If I remember right it opened 3rd after Hammersmith and either Plaza or Kingston - although no doubt someone has this on a wallchart at their painting desk :)

StraightSilver
12-04-2010, 15:55
GW Beckenham didn't start out life as a satellite store, but was the first (ASFAIK) to become one when they were trialled some time ago.

The store became a satellite of Bromley GW, and then shortly after was closed downand is now a kebab shop!!

I know this because I was responsible for refitting the store and managing it until it became a satellite.

It was probabaly the darkest period of my career with GW, and there are some amusing now but not then horror stories about that store, but needless to say that I was very glad to get out of it, and not at all sad to see it go.

GW Beckenham was a tiny one man store, and was only open for 40 hours a week so that whoever was running it could have days off etc.

Working there was soul destroying as there were long periods with nobody to talk to as you would quite often be the only person in store.

Apart for some reason on delivery days when you needed to get work done ironically enough!

The store also suffered from a crazy amount of theft, which there was nothing you could do about.

What can you do when half a dozen teenagers storm into your shop which is only just big enough to hold that many people, and walk out with half your stock!?

And don't even mention sickness, if you are sick the shop doesn't open, and to be honest my experience was that people hated working on their own so much they would often not go in.

Trust me, GW have tried this before, and it really didn't work. Bi=ut as has been said before I don't know if they remember this, let's hope thay have learnt their lesson.

Crazy Harborc
13-04-2010, 01:10
As long as these "ideas" keep the stockholders happy/quiet......ideas like one man stores will be tried. Tried until they finally work, no matter what!!:cries:

Agnar the Howler
13-04-2010, 12:58
Well, apprently my store is cutting down to opening up only 5 days a week (mind you, single-manned it's hard) and also dropping the after-hours stuff like vet's night and the after-school night. Since my other local store (Independant Retailer) is relocating and won't be open till May at some point, i've got nothing to do.

Saturdays leaves GW packed with annoying kids and is almost purely 40k based, and Sundays are beginner games, and since the weekend and vet's night are the only times I can make it up there, it seems like i'll be waiting till the independant store can relocate before I play any more games...

Until they realise what a big mistake 1-man stores and cutting back on the extra stuff was, i'm probably not going to be using that store unless I need to.

Rabid Bunny 666
13-04-2010, 13:14
It might have something to do with the maidenhead store move?

GW Maidenhead moved? So its not opposite Nationwide any more?

Bloody hell, i'm sorry to hear that people got laid off, its a shame GW is moving towards more of these 1 man stores.

Reinholt
13-04-2010, 15:06
As long as these "ideas" keep the stockholders happy/quiet......ideas like one man stores will be tried. Tried until they finally work, no matter what!!:cries:

Fundamentally, profit is what keeps shareholders happy.

You can't really fake that, either. Until GW starts turning a profit on a consistent basis, shareholders won't be happy. So the only way these stores will keep them happy is if they are, consistently, more profitable.

frahill
13-04-2010, 22:22
Well, apprently my store is cutting down to opening up only 5 days a week (mind you, single-manned it's hard) and also dropping the after-hours stuff like vet's night and the after-school night. Since my other local store (Independant Retailer) is relocating and won't be open till May at some point, i've got nothing to do.

Saturdays leaves GW packed with annoying kids and is almost purely 40k based, and Sundays are beginner games, and since the weekend and vet's night are the only times I can make it up there, it seems like i'll be waiting till the independant store can relocate before I play any more games...

Until they realise what a big mistake 1-man stores and cutting back on the extra stuff was, i'm probably not going to be using that store unless I need to.

Yup its the stockport store, who are you btw, it ben here.

Agnar the Howler
14-04-2010, 02:22
Yup its the stockport store, who are you btw, it ben here.

I'm Chris, worst Lizardmen player ever. I'm crap with remembering names and putting them to faces, so forgive me but I can't remember who you are, although I have heard your name mentioned...

Is there anything else going on? All I know is what i've already put and that Nige has been made redundant (which is terrible) but all that info. was 2nd hand, so there might be a few inconsistencies.

yabbadabba
14-04-2010, 06:49

Sounds like a great time to start a club or gaming group.

Osbad
14-04-2010, 10:57
Sounds like a great time to start a club or gaming group.

QFT!

All this "Oh noes! My poor icckle wickle hobby store won't be there to help me!!" emo nonsense just makes me laugh. Get together with friends and enjoy your hobby in your own (or someone else's) home, or garage, or community centre or somewhere.

GW need you a lot more than you need GW!

Although, of course I'm sorry for all the staff who are losing their livelihoods. Most of the guys I know work hard and try their best and deserve more for their efforts.

DDogwood
14-04-2010, 12:44
Another word of consolation for those losing their jobs - in spite of GW's nice employee discount, retail is generally not a good industry for working conditions. With few exceptions, you work inconvenient hours for little pay and with few opportunities for advancement.

nedsta
14-04-2010, 18:19
sorry to hear about those losing their jobs, i do hope you all ifnd work again real soon, i know how hard it is at the min to find work, and also hope that this wont put you off enjoying your hobby, all the best to those affected by these cuts

GomezAddams
14-04-2010, 21:42
My condolences to the staff who've been made redundant but I'd head down to the citizens advice centre before you do or say anything else (as tempted as it is to tell em where to stick it..). Your entitled to a fair bit especially with regards to fair treatment - the future mother in law was recently made redundant and theres plenty of advice out there. Your definitely entitled to some kind of redundancy package either from GW or from the government if you've been with them longer then 6 months.

Does anyone know how far this has reached yet? I really dont see stores like Manchester going to 1 man. Is it just stores with a certain floor space? I mean, my new local Burton isnt a particularly busy store from what I've seen yet has a battle bunker above it and has quite a lot of floor space. And.. has a recruitment poster up (they were after staff). They've cut down opening hours but that I believe is due to new manager taking over. How can some be expanding yet others be shrinking to nothing? 14 down to one is a massive staff cut.

And as others have said, who wants to be a manager of themselves..

Also, and correct me if I'm wrong here, but how on earth would they cover sickness. General practice is for the area manager to take over but.. if theres a dozen stores they have to cover for thats going to be a nightmare - especially if multiple stores close for protacted periods (long term sickness, which again, you can be covered for so no sneaky firings there...).

Personally, I'm saddened to see GW tightening its purse strings so much. Its doing well, were in a growth period, people are still buying despite price.. is there something were not seeing?

Crazy Harborc
15-04-2010, 02:43
IMHO, what is going on sounds more and more like what desperate companies have tried to do after one wing has ripped off their corporate private bi-planes just before the company finishes going down in flames.

Oh well, that's everybody or every company but GW.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

blongbling
15-04-2010, 07:58
Gomez - check the one man store thread as all your questions have been answered there mate

de Selby
18-04-2010, 21:13
Best of luck to those made redundant, hope you are back in gainful employment ASAP.

IIRC, GW finally made a profit in the last financial report I saw and it was mostly attributable to 'cost-cutting measures'. I guess they feel that there are more costs to be cut. If they move away from their policy of blanketing the country with kid magnet stores and let indies and clubs take up the slack, it might not be such a bad thing, since indies and clubs often do a better job (of selling and fostering a community respectively). The stores can fall between two stools, through no fault of the staff.

Borigon
24-04-2010, 07:25
At least you get some notice.

In the US when you get fired you are immediately shown out the door, unless you get laid off which means right after the meeting where they give you the bad news you get shown out the door but you get a severance pay.

That's only if you get laid off. Most of the time HR will use the Will to Work/Right to Work laws (whichever one it's called) and just fire you for some meager petty reason so they can save some money. The longer you work for a company, the more likely they are to find a reason to fire you instead of laying you off.

The reason is called " Not a fit to the companies culture". And try explaining that to perspective employers sometime. I have. The complete look of WHAT on their faces is amusing to say the least.

Bor

warhammergrimace
25-04-2010, 17:56
This is happening right across ALL 5th/6th company stores, they have effectivly virus bombed all the stores in these two companies across the UK, this came from a staff member.

Sheffield (City Centre, NOT meadowhall) store has had all staff members, including the manager made redudant.

Most will be turned into 1 man store's but I've been told some will stay closed permantly.

selfconstrukt
25-04-2010, 19:56
The reason is called " Not a fit to the companies culture". And try explaining that to perspective employers sometime. I have. The complete look of WHAT on their faces is amusing to say the least.
Bor

With GW, the problem with "being a good fit" is that there really is no company definition of what a good fit is. It's totally up to the discretion of whomever if the HR manager or your current manager to decide.

You could be an excellent GW employee for years, then your manager can change. Suddenly your not part of the "team" anymore since your new manager, for whatever reasons he/she may have, has a differing opinion of what a good fit is.

Just like that, you lose your job.

Crazy Harborc
25-04-2010, 23:41
That type of BS goes on at many companies in many different businesses, with many different products, in many different stores, factories and businesses.

It STILL sucks when it happens to you. Been there and had it happen in my work life. After it's happened and time has gone by the memories do fade.

I do believe what goes around DOES come around. The shafters will become the shafted.:evilgrin:

blongbling
26-04-2010, 08:06
I do believe what goes around DOES come around. The shafters will become the shafted.:evilgrin:

QFTT

I await the days when certain people get seen through and fired :)

rev
26-04-2010, 08:23
This won't make much difference to me.

I feel for those loosing their jobs, although in the long run it might be best for them personally given GW's pay and prospects.

I buy everything online, as generally postage is fast and free these days and I'm rarely so desperate for something I need it right now. Even that I can live without.

If it puts GW in a better financial position long term, and doesn't affect my hobby - I don't think it's such a bad thing. The bigger worry for GW must be how to recruit youngsters into the hobby if they're closing down their day care centres!

Rev

Osbad
26-04-2010, 15:34
I have to admit though, I don't know very much about how unemployment works in the UK, so maybe the staff there will fair better than staff here in the US.

I'm reasonably familiar with UK employment law, and from what I've read about this situation I would say that UK law is somewhat more protective for the employee than US law, in that there seem to be a few more procedures in place to prevent the abuse of disciplinary polices in sacking people on a whim. However when it comes to redundancies for economic reasons (as opposed to sackings for disciplinary ones) then the bottom line is the company only needs to pay statutory minimum pay (1 week's in pay lieu of notice per year employed) and you're history.

blongbling
26-04-2010, 15:36
selfconstrukt I agree, they always take down so many good people on their way...the staff are their ablative armour slowly getting chipped away

yabbadabba
26-04-2010, 21:51
I await the days when certain people get seen through and fired :) :evilgrin: Now that will be a day to grab a beer and talk of the good old days

RevEv
27-04-2010, 07:06
With GW, the problem with "being a good fit" is that there really is no company definition of what a good fit is. It's totally up to the discretion of whomever if the HR manager or your current manager to decide.

You could be an excellent GW employee for years, then your manager can change. Suddenly your not part of the "team" anymore since your new manager, for whatever reasons he/she may have, has a differing opinion of what a good fit is.

Just like that, you lose your job.

One day your doing a fantastic job, nothing but praise, the next day your being shown out the door for "not getting me what I wanted". The "me" in that phrase being your new manager. Literally nothing will change in reality, but your new manager has his/her own agenda and you are in the way.

Being in a job where the boss changes on a regular basis (normally because they move on to higher positions) or I move on within the organisation, this is a familiar situation - and one that is avoidable.

Simply talk to them when they turn up. Find out what they want from the store and you, find out their expectations AND the expectations being put on them from above, and explain to them how you like working and how that makes the store function well. You may find that some of your working practises have to change to fit in with the new managers way of thinking but, by being interactive at the start, you show initiative and deference (an important thing with some of the bosses I've had).

Of course, if the manager is a complete tool that doesn't help you much at all - but then they are the ones that get found out in the end anyway.

selfconstrukt
27-04-2010, 14:58
.....Simply talk to them when they turn up. Find out what they want from the store and you, find out their expectations AND the expectations being put on them from above....some of your working practises have to change to fit in....by being interactive at the start, you show initiative and deference (an important thing with some of the bosses I've had).

I've always done that, and things normally have worked out but you also have to have a manager who will listen and give you an opportunity to prove yourself. You can also run into a situation where the instructions you were given by higher-ups will conflict with your new managers instructions and the new manager won't care, if you don't get him what he wants he'll find a way to oust you.

RevEv
27-04-2010, 16:22
Unfortunately, AFAIK, he has not gotten found out since he has his nose buried very far up Mark Wells' posterior. Staff only ever get "found out" if someone is looking.

Patience my Padowan!

There are many I know who have been 'promoted beyond their own competence', they have all been found out in time.