PDA

View Full Version : Competetive Bretonnian Help

JayC707
07-04-2010, 18:52
Hi,

I got no response from the Tactica thread after at least a week of waiting so I am here in hope...

I have a friend looking to build a 2250 competetive army - he has a ton of Brets but no clue. The army he's built or friends have built is just pure knights, knights on horse, knights on pegasus, a single trebuchet and no magic of any kind. Not even any men at arms - quite frankly I don't get the list or why it was conceived.

What are a few competetive lists to work with? As far as I can tell... 2 trebuchets isn't a bad idea if you can use them right they are quite strong.

Men at arms in large force are useful, so how many?

Archers seem good, he uses them, just not sure how many is enough.

Is there any use in Magic for brets?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Condottiere
07-04-2010, 19:25
Have you considered asking these guys:

http://www.roundtable-bretonnia.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

meneroth
07-04-2010, 22:02
^^^ great forum

as for competitive bretts, it seems to go two ways. magic defense damsels and LOTS of knights or not too many knights and LOTS of cheap infantry. backed by good trebs of course.

personally my "competitive" list looked like this:

Lord on hippo
(built for flank charges)

2x damsels lvl 1
(scroll caddies)

palidin BSB

2-3 units of KOTR
1-2 units of errant knights
1 unit pegasus
1 unit of 8 grail knights (i swear by them, others dont)

Anyway, it came out to just about 56 knights. the damsels would protect the grail knihts and one of the other units with thier MR and i would use the lord as a reallly expensive march blocker, set up my charges and hit the enemy line usually by turn 3, sometimes turn 2 if they deployed bad. the army worked for me, but it did have some notable flaws. (i didnt loose to many battles with them though)

Malorian
07-04-2010, 22:03
Check you PM in about 2 seconds.

Zaonite
08-04-2010, 00:45
I'd second looking at the Roundtable link as posted above. Fantastic forum and the unofficial home of Bretonnia on the web.

J.P. Biff
08-04-2010, 06:48
I use a "fire and forget" Bret list.

(all char max out their armor saves, have warhorses etc. if they can and take lance unless otherwise noted)

Lord - knightly temper, armor of agiulf (sp?)
BSB - duty, sword of might
paladin - joust
level 1 with two scrolls on foot (should have her on horse but I just love the foot model better)

12 realm, command, warbanner (BSB goes here)
12 errant, command, errant banner (Lord goes here)
12 errant, command, (paladin goes here)
6 errant
6 errant
6 errant

4 pegasus knights
5 mounted yeomen
5 mounted yeomen

Basically I charge one unit of 12 with one unit of six in on each enemy unit and thats three dead enemy units a turn. Do that twice and most of time its game over. Actually most of the time its game over after the first charge. The BSB's unit has a combat res. of 7 before combat even starts, the generals unit does well mainly because of the extra kills he generates himself, and the paladins unit usually does quite well, but if I think it'll be close send in yeomen on the flank or pegasus knights in.

Other than that yeomen deflect/deal with odds and ends (skirmishers, enemy fast cav, fanatics etc.) and the pegasus knights deal with war machines, in addition to the targets listed for the yeomen.

ewar
08-04-2010, 09:27
Hi,

2 trebuchets isn't a bad idea if you can use them right they are quite strong.

Men at arms in large force are useful, so how many?

Archers seem good, he uses them, just not sure how many is enough.

Is there any use in Magic for brets?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I like using 2 trebs in my 2k list, others don't. I find that against lists which you physically cannot win in combat against (castling dwarfs/VC/plaguebearers etc) then they come in useful as you can hold all table quarters and shell from very long range to score enough VPs to win with.

Men at arms, despite what the wishful thinkers might say, are nothing but a liability. They add nothing to the list that knights can't do better, faster and more efficiently. I include them in my fluff lists as a) I love the minis and b) its fun to watch them die in droves; also c) it stops people moaning at your army. A single unit of 20 skirmishing bowmen can be useful however.

Magic in a competitive list is only for use as defence, two level 1 scroll caddies, chalice of malfleur. That'll get you through 2 turns of pain before you can kill their wizards.

As for the knights, I think Errants are the best heavy cav in the game, point for point. I take them over KOTR any day of the week as they're ITP on the charge (invaluable for Brets).

Tell your friend good luck and not to listen to the detractors!

People who have no understanding of the army call them point and click - but try beating any of the top tier armies (against an experienced opponent) is very tough.

JayC707
09-04-2010, 04:27
I appreciate your responses, this helped a lot. Thank you.