PDA

View Full Version : Most fun army to play

fenrisnorth
08-04-2010, 18:32
I recently lost my nice paying job, and cannot continue buying stuff willy nilly, so I have to focus on one army to complete. What do you think is the most FUN army to play, not necessarily the most powerful, because I don't find it fun to steamroll someone over and over. that having been said, it also isn't fun to GET steamrolled, so I'd like something that can pack a punch. please help.

epicwargames
08-04-2010, 18:47
Most fun? Well, like you, I like to have fun but don't like to get steamrolled either. Considering that, I choose Skaven. They have a lot of units that play different roles but they also have the fun "random" factor but are much more reliable than Orcs.

zak
08-04-2010, 18:58
Orcs and Gobbo's. Absolutely no doubt. They will not always win. They will often frustrate you. But one thing they have always been is fun.

Condottiere
08-04-2010, 18:59
You haven't listed which ones are work in progress.

Though if I had to choose based on overall experience from the supported armies, I'd say O&G, a sense of humour being a requirement.

FORtheGREATERgood
08-04-2010, 19:11
OnG are very fun to play but keep in mind they can get frustrating at times. This can be overcome by playing with enough units that it doesn't matter how many you lose. The problem with horde armies are that they will not be the cheapest since so many models are needed to play them. Even with all this in mind, my OnG are a blast and I always find myself coming back to my surprisingly effective goblin horde.

Alltaken
08-04-2010, 20:12
I believe woodies can be very fun to play to, very open to different play tests. And lots of movement versatility

Agoz
08-04-2010, 20:15
I'd go with Skaven, a ton of variety, a lot of randomness, but also a lot of power to make up for it.

Malorian
08-04-2010, 20:45
I'd say orcs with skaven coming in second.

The Devourer
08-04-2010, 21:07
Night goblins hands down. They are completely random. Squigs and fanatics are great fun and NG can be very entertaining.

cyberspite
08-04-2010, 21:44
Well, whatever army you're most interested in, background / fluff and model-wise, is usually what you will find most fun to play.

Although wood elves are immensely satisfying to win with ;)

fenrisnorth
08-04-2010, 22:17
I have High elves, Empire, Chaos (all 3), Lizardmen, Skaven, and Dwarfs. So, most everything. I'm trying to nail it down. O&G is actually out of the question, I cannot stand animosity. I kind of have army ADD, but I cannot afford it anymore.

sssk
08-04-2010, 22:32
Well with orcs and gobbos ruled out, and you already having some skaven, I'd suggest you focus on them. Funny things happen, but they are a powerful army and don't take themselves too seriously.

Troah
08-04-2010, 22:48
For me Tomb Kings are by far the most fun.

gdsora
08-04-2010, 22:51
Tomb Kings

I love having to explain my unique rules!

Yes that spell went off on a Double 1, or Two
Yes i failed to cast that spell...im going to do it now again lol
Yes that catapult is shooting in the magic phase

Vutall
08-04-2010, 22:53
Bretonnians! Get a good mix of peasants with your knights though, otherwise it's rather boring. Plus, don't forget to take damsels!

Also, Bret's are SUPER fun to paint!

Atropos
08-04-2010, 23:00
I have fun playing my three armies: VC, Dark Elves and Skaven.
And I will have fun playing with my fourth and last army: Tomb Kings.

I think it's all about knowing how to get the most out of your armies, even if they're supposed to be the most boring armies ever, what makes you have those fun games.

From Shadows
08-04-2010, 23:09
DOC.... because you win so much of the time :rolleyes:
Wood elves are fun, skaven and gobbos are great fun.

shadowskale
08-04-2010, 23:22
The most fun army to play with is any of them, have some beers some food and a mate to play with and it doesn't matter what army you play it will be fun. :)

The Red Scourge
09-04-2010, 00:33
My favorite is woodies. They give you lots of control over the game and your army, so give you lots of player involvement without many random factors, and you can benefit from all phases of the game.

Condottiere
09-04-2010, 02:46
I recently lost my nice paying job, and cannot continue buying stuff willy nilly, so I have to focus on one army to complete. What do you think is the most FUN army to play, not necessarily the most powerful, because I don't find it fun to steamroll someone over and over. that having been said, it also isn't fun to GET steamrolled, so I'd like something that can pack a punch. please help.

I have High elves, Empire, Chaos (all 3), Lizardmen, Skaven, and Dwarfs. So, most everything. I'm trying to nail it down. O&G is actually out of the question, I cannot stand animosity. I kind of have army ADD, but I cannot afford it anymore.I get the impression that with High Elves you need a plan, with Empire you need to coordinate your troops, with Dwarves it's cohesiveness, WoC is getting your Chaos Warriors into combat and Beastmen it's hoping your opponent will make a mistake. Lizardmen are serious, Skavens can go the Mad scientist route and Daemons are tough. That's why I play DoW, since I get to choose from a variety of sources.

You may have to figure out if it's aesthetics (the look of the miniatures), fluff or playstyle that attracts you, because none of the above have qualities that everyone agrees is fun.

Kevlar
09-04-2010, 04:03
It changes. Skaven were an absolute monster in 5th, boring and crappy in 6th, and now back to fun in 7th. Every time they redo the book its a crap shoot.

ChaosVC
09-04-2010, 04:19
While I am more of a WOC fan, I think High Elves is the more fun army for me to play with at the moment. There are plenty of variety of tactics available to try out is but that also means collecting everything available in the army book which is really costly, most of the elite units which is important to form a decent HE army are metal models.

You can always try empire , at least most of the stuff is plastic and are relatively cheapper with the exception of gold swords. Like HE, you can have a balance army that uses conventional tactics without ASF and cheaper more numerous troops and fire power.

vampard15
09-04-2010, 04:28
i'd suggest chaos just for the sheer fact that you have such a variety of how they can be played and what they can do that it makes almost every game totally different.

fenrisnorth
09-04-2010, 06:37
I think I'll go Skaven, I can talk like Professor Farnsworth...

"Good news eveyone! I've developed a cannon that can throw warp lightning!"
"Don't worry, those are completely ordinary Giant rats; but watch out, those are no ordinary Giant rats, they are death frenzied!"
"Know ye now how it feels to be rat GODS!"
"Uh-wah?"

and the Verminlord is THE most BADASS model EVER! thanks everyone

Tenken
09-04-2010, 06:43

"Don't worry, those are completely ordinary Giant rats; but watch out, those are no ordinary Giant rats, they are death frenzied!"
"Uh-wah?"

Lol thats so awesome. Now I wanna do a skaven army lead by a warlock engineer named professor ratsworth.

"Doomsday device? The cheese is in ratsworth's court now!":cheese:

Garion
09-04-2010, 07:31
A pure Goblin army is the most fun, there can't be any competition really.

They have fanatics, squigs, snotlings, pumpwagons, doom divers, Sarsnick and their spiders are also very cool.

ftayl5
11-04-2010, 05:51
Ogres.

Yes I said it, they're great fun, you just might not win.
Failing that Orcs and Gobbos are great for reasons already stated

w3rm
11-04-2010, 19:28

"Uh-wah?"

That was one of the funniest things I have read in a while.

And I suggest either Skaven or Gnoblars.

Want the biggest Horde army?
Gnoblars

Want to see the look on your opponents face when you kill a pince off a star dragon with 100+ sharp stuff shots?
Gnoblars

Want to drown in a sea of models that you will spend the rest of your life painting.
Gnoblars it is.

Want some ideas? Check out the link in my sig.

Maoriboy007
11-04-2010, 19:33
Tomb Kings, challenging to play yet great for throwing an opponant off his game.

Grymlok
11-04-2010, 19:46
I'm with the people who say all of them. It's not the army that makes the game, its the player. I am quite confident I could enjoy a game with any of the armies.

Breazer
11-04-2010, 22:06
"beastmen waiting for your opponent to make a mistake"....sorry but that is such nonesense...the new beastmen are really great if you ask me....they are not totally overpowered...they beafed up a little but that was very neccesary...the new rules are very cool...at least to me its a great army...
i like lots of infantry....so im a fan of O&G, Beastmen and Empire...but really you can have fun with most armies...if you play what you like and dont take this boring list to bug your opponent with you will have cool games most of the times...

dman971
12-04-2010, 04:29
I would have to give my money to the Skaven! The figures are awesome. Effects rock! And come on, the storyline is awesome!

Warhammer Madman
12-04-2010, 08:33
Most fun army is one you have chosen for fluffy reasons so each regiment has a background.

but I do have to say that my skaven double doomwheel list is realy fun to use its just so random. Its got to the point where I can just muck about with it and now I rarely aim to win games with the doomwheels I just see what happens! the rest of my army is rather random and so I get mixed results...

Darkspear
12-04-2010, 09:45
I would say Dark Elves. Pure flexibility of playing styles with a variety of units, great models and fun combos. They are perfectly scalable...u can field a hard list against power gamers yet you can also take a fragile and fluffy lists for those fun, not so serious campaign games.

The Red Scourge
12-04-2010, 10:37
I'd say any army - as long as they're balanced with your opponent. No fun in a walkover, the best of games are usually bloodbaths with only a handful of models left on the field at the end :)

Beyond that its fun to play an army that suits you. I started out with chaos, but they ended up gathering dust, when I discovered wood elves with their fast paced playstyle. In the same way a friend of mine thought high elves were the biggest cheese of them all, but a pack of rats convinced him otherwise. And my empire opponent has dabbled in dark elves, high elves and O&G, but always end up going back to his beloved empire :)