PDA

View Full Version : First fantasy army list, help please

Morten
08-04-2010, 20:08
Hey everybody
i recently decided to play fantasy. i have collected and painted fantasy for years (tzeentch) and plays 40k on a very regular basis. i have made 2 army lists for my orcs, both very infantry heavy. i am mostly looking for an army that will be fun to use, a little competitive, but no cheesiness. i hope you will tell me which army list will do best, and any changes to them.

my main opponents will be lizardmen and spearmen/archer heavy high elves. both new players, having our first game next week.

List 1:

1 Black Orc Big boss (152)
HA, Boar, shield, Bigged's Kickin' Boots, Best Basha
Goblin Shaman - lvl 2 (90)

30 Boyz - Shield - fc (210)
30 Boyz - Shield - fc (210)
5 Spider riders - musician (71)

2 spear chukkas (70)
5 Boar Boyz - standard (124)

total: 998

General goes with boar boyz who go out to flank. spider riders try to stay in front of the big boy units, trying to draw my opponent to charge and expose flanks.

List 2

Black Orc Big boss (152)
Orc Shaman - lvl 2 - waaagh paint - boar (124)

27 boyz - shields - standard - musician (177)

18 black orcs - shields - standard - musician
2 spear chukkas (70)
Wolf Chariot (60)

Total : 997

Big boss goes with black orcs, shaman with orc unit (should have been 28, but not enough points)

sorry for the long post, i hope you will help me:)

ColShaw
08-04-2010, 20:32
I like the first list better. However, I'd strongly recommend, rather than deploying your general with the Boar Boys, keeping him in one of the Orc Boy units. He'll keep his Leadership bubble close to your center, which is good, and can make the unit significantly better than it already is.

Not sure that a single Level 2 Shaman is going to do you much good, however. A Battle Standard Bearer is usually going to be a better buy, and you can always scrounge the points for Mork's Spirit Banner from somewhere if you want magic defense (a naked Level 2 is not a good defensive caster anyway).

I think the greater numbers of list 1 will be, in general, more useful than the heavier infantry of list 2.

Morten
08-04-2010, 20:53
Thanks a lot for the response, i really appreciate it. i was just thinking that maybe the boar boyz will be cut down to quickly, no matter what they charge? (without the boss, won't the ASF of the high elves kill them?) i have made a few corrections to the list.

1 Black Orc Big boss (152)
Orc Big Boss - boar - BSB - Warbanner - LA (138)

28 Boyz - Shield - boss - musician (188)
28 Boyz - Shield - fc (198)

2 spear chukkas (70)
5 Boar Boyz - (110)

total: 998

magic defense probably won't be that much of a problem, i don't think my opponent will have more than a single spellcaster (probably won't have any), which was why i was thinking maybe a level 2 would do okay. thanks in advance for any more advice:)

w3rm
09-04-2010, 02:43
That looks like a very solid list. Boar Boyz really shouldnt get to badly killed if theyre flanking. Most High Elf units are fairly small and they might take a wound or two but I doubt it if you have a block of boyz charging in the front and Boyz to the flank. Good luck!

Morten
11-04-2010, 08:31
Thanks a lot for the help:) i ended up playing two games that night, one 1000 with the armylist above (i used Mork's spirit totem instead, and a chariot instead of the boar boyz) and i won a massacre! we then played another game (1500 points) where i tried some night goblins with fanatics and some extra chuckas due to my opponent fielding a dragon mage. My fanatics did really well, killing 5 dragon princes in one go:) but then my big boss managed to kill 7 boyz due to animosity in 4 rounds.. that was a little annoying, but i ended up with a solid victory:)

Deglosh
11-04-2010, 19:16
Yeah swopping those boar boyz for chariot is not a bad idea. I really liked that list. Verry good for 1k points actually.

Another thing, if you guys are playing 1.5k points, is the elves even allowed to use a dragon mage? isnt that a lord choice? correct me if im wrong, cause ive never actually played against HE.

Gotta love o&g haha! When you say "Yes! only 2 died!" and thats only by animosity wich is before you even start youre turn! hahaha Gr8 stuff

danny-d-b
11-04-2010, 21:14
Yeah swopping those boar boyz for chariot is not a bad idea. I really liked that list. Verry good for 1k points actually.

Another thing, if you guys are playing 1.5k points, is the elves even allowed to use a dragon mage? isnt that a lord choice? correct me if im wrong, cause ive never actually played against HE.

Gotta love o&g haha! When you say "Yes! only 2 died!" and thats only by animosity wich is before you even start youre turn! hahaha Gr8 stuff

yes the dragon mage is a hero choise- its one of 2 hero level dragons (asnil the dragon lord being the other)

z4ch001
14-04-2010, 09:36
Im not really a spider rider fan to be honest. Wolf riders are better in my opinion- they have a better move, can have better armour(takes off fast cavarly though).

But the high speed is great for warmachine killing. Gobbo wolf chariots are good aswell- they'll no doubt get killed most games, but at strength 5 and a charge of 18 inch can take some good stuff down with it.

Its up to you, just my humble opinion.

Its a good list though- 30 man boyz units area great,