PDA

View Full Version : Music in Table RPG

Finnblood
15-02-2006, 15:37
What kind of music do yoy prefer when playing safely inside? Or do you like to have music at all?

I, the GM, provide the music and finnish black metal suits the dark worlds our gaming party prefers (e.g. warhammer FB). A brilliant band, Finntroll, is perfect! It has kinda polka influence, it's sung in medieval swedish (though the lads are all finnish speaking finns) and the songs are about trolls killing "the man pests" or "sons of Jehova".

Of course, it must be played in quite low-volume, so you needn't shout and to avoid excessive moshing and air-guitar-playing.

But how about you? Classic, ethnic, heavy metal or what?

TheSonOfAbbadon
15-02-2006, 15:40
Um, is this an RPG or not?

Makaber
15-02-2006, 15:54
From the top of the page:
Role Playing For the discussion of Role Playing Games, and the running of Role Playing on the forum.

We usually play fitting soundtracks when we play. "Star Wars" for Star Wars obviously, "The Rock" and "Starship Troopers" is good for modern stuff. For fantasy, we have "Conan", "Pirates of the Carribean", and that sort of stuff.

Normally, I'm a hard rock kinda guy, but I think it becomes a bit too intrusive when we play.

TheSonOfAbbadon
15-02-2006, 16:16
I know this forum is also for the discussion of role play, but Finnblood said 'Music in TableRPG' suggesting that this is meant to be a role playing thread, not a discussion thread.

Finnblood
15-02-2006, 16:36
well, I meant discussion. Sorry. Haven't got enough time to get to the fine details of this part of Warseer. I'll fix the headline.

E: umm, it seems I can't... If some moderator would help me out, please...

Hate Train
15-02-2006, 20:23
Don't worry, your title is fine.

Generally I listen to lots of extreme metal, but that's not what I'd listen to while playing a game of Inquisitor. Tracks from games (Diablo II in particular) are particularly useful, as well as the Gladiator soundtrack, good for any occasion, as well as the Last Samurai soudntrack.
Here's a good site: http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks.php

hairyman
15-02-2006, 21:19
I tend to prefer stuff with no lyrics when I'm GM-ing... sets an atmosphere without getting in the way. Anything from Aphex Twin and other ambient classics through to Verdi or Holst.

Lord Lucifer
22-02-2006, 13:03
Music is very effective at setting mood or atmosphere, but I tend to be careful not to let it become a distraction.

My greatest GMing moment was undoubtedly in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, playing through the Ashes of Middenheim with a scenario I'd set up where the players stumble through an untracked area of the Drakwald forest.
They first noticed a large number of birds. Those who got a clear enough look realised they were carrion birds (crows).

Then, faint echoes on the wind, they heard some mad ranting, perhaps religious... perhaps sacriligious... this is where I started playing 'East Hastings' by Godspeed You! Black Emperor, which plays during the London sequence of the movie 28 Days Later if you're unfamiliar with the tune... and the mournful keening of bagpipes.
The smell was next to hit them, and finally they encountered a battle field, at least a week old, with no bodies cleared away. All left as they fell, bloated and stinking worse than a tannery.
Grisly discoveries were made as they progressed through the 'open grave', and some mysterious ones also. But as the music built up in intensity they realised they (and the madman and the piper) were not alone, and all were set upon by a vast horde of Ghouls. It quickly became clear they'd have to flee, but it was hard going and it seemed as if the corpses themselves were grabbing at the players as they ran, losing their footing, tripping, falling into the bloated corpses that ruptured and burst under their weight and impact.

The characters had a restless night that night. The players did too :evilgrin:

The other masterstroke was the brilliantly, and unintentionally, perfectly timed closing statement for Ashes of Middenheim. Reading alloud to the accompaniment of the piano-played theme of Silent Hill, the change in text (from mundane denoument to speculative horror at what the future holds) coincided perfectly with the piano going from laboured beauty to frantic urgency.

Most of the time, I prefer the music to contain no vocals at all, or if there must be, only very few, unintrusive ones. In a language none of the players understand is always a plus.
Aphex Twin, Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill soundtracks, BRILLIANCE!), Classical instrumental work are most used. Especially Yamaoka-san. I even brought a fairground to life (Shadows over Bogenhafen :D) with 'Friendly Clown' (track from the original Silent Hill game, not sure if you can find it on the soundtrack CD though)
Gotta be good :)

ironduke
22-02-2006, 14:49
Lord of the rings soundtracks we have had Matrix and some metal as well.

Occasionally the track changes at the right moment and the music is perfect for the atmosphere but your lucky if it will happen.

I think it works in tabletop but in larp its a no no. Especially when Queen, Princes of the Universe comes on, I quickly had to go out of character for the first couple of lines.

im weird i know!

Tanith Ghost
22-02-2006, 16:59
I recently hit on the Soviet march from 'Hunt for the Red October'. Makes for excellent setting at the begining of a campaign.

hairyman
22-02-2006, 17:07
Mozart's Requiem in D is always good for a scary bit, even if it is a bit OTT...

Finnblood
23-02-2006, 13:46
We used to have LOTR and Pirates of The Caribbean, etc. movie tracks, but they were far too cheerful. Classic music fit the Bretonnian Castles (yeah, we kept them in the renessance style, 'cos the new king arthur -stuff sucks), but doesn't fit anywhere else.

Game soundtracks were ok, but we kinda got sick of 'em.
Black metal and everyone are happy and in the mood for a trip to darkness.