PDA

View Full Version : Tau - Should I glue them together?

Tharn
09-04-2010, 20:09
Hi All,

I've somehow got loads of Tau that I have found when I have finally finished unpacking after a house move last year. I've been using IG with some good success in my gaming group for some time and fancied a change - mostly as the new Nid book has affected our meta game considerably.

As no-one uses Tau in our group I have revisited the codex with a degree of excitement and have sort of come to conclusion that the reason I never glued them together is that they do not seem competitive enough in 5th edition. My gaming group is fierce and we are all tourney regulars.

I don't want to sound flippant as I will clearly build and then play test a number of Tau variant lists but I was hoping to get some of your views on what you feel would make a competitive Tau army. I've checked ATT and reviewed the few recent Tau posts on here and unsuprisingly have found a degree of conflict. What would be your ideal Tau Tourney army?;)

loveless
09-04-2010, 20:15
Yes.

Glue them all together into some sort of Tau Katamari (http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20080326).

owen matthew
09-04-2010, 20:25
glue is the way to go, all my tests with bubblegum have proved unsuccesfull! ;)

Seroiusly, I have been playing them since they came out. They have never been very competative, and are worse in 5th than they have ever been. I have had some good results in 5th with the Relay and some extreeme target denial, but that is only a trick.

They just do not shoot well enough to be an only shooting army, they are no more mobile than any other army really (except for the fragile jump pack stuff that took a horrible hit in 5th), and are still suffering from 3/4th ed point pricing. Their 4th ed codex was the most slap-dash piece of crap, just to boost sales and put no thought into a couple of uninspired FW additions. I would wait for whatever GW will do to them in 5th or 6th, and just hope.

All of that being said, I usually have the best chance of an uphill battle by going numbers and quantity ove quality. 72 firewarriors on foot, 9 c. suits- no plasma, 6 broadsides, more suits for hq, but only ELs, if you have points left over then more broadsides and drone squads. Change out a fire warrior squad for a big kroot one with lots of hounds if you like. I have won a couple tourneys with lists like this. Just do not be afraid of moving/running the warriors.

If you guys are real tourney players I do not think you have much trouble running the tau down. In tourneys these days I would play Orks (whitch are getting borring), or IG if I had it.

Tharn
09-04-2010, 20:35
Hi Loveless, really funny. I actually thought the link was going to be to an army list which made it even funnier.

Owen M - My thoughts exactly about the pricing. I was thinking about two souped up HQ units, maxing FW with (the overpriced) Devilfish and then Broadsides/Hammerheads. Disruption Pods look obvious. Have there been any rumours about a new codex? Also is any of the FW stuff legal for Tau?

owen matthew
09-04-2010, 20:59
Broadsides are good, Hammerheads are great (d-pod and m-tracker are obvious). I do Broadsides first because they put out more firepower, and cannot be shut down, or destroyed by one lascannon/missle/whatever shot, and their 4+ inv sv is free when they are behind all the extra models I use ;). My army uses no real wargear to get more shooting models on the table. I can hit around 120 models at 1850. I do not believe in markerlights and expensive goofball units like sniper drones and stealth anything.

Most of what you pay for in HQ bodyguards you can get cheaper in the Elite slot. the extra h2h buffs are retarded, and the 10 points could be used somewhere else. The only bennefit is the fact that they can take more wargear, but that makes them still more expensive (a lower unit profile as well, I guess). I'd only go HQ units if you have filled the 3 elite slots and still had lots of points left over for the premium.

People have been whispering rumors for a while now. I do not know what is true, but they need it, and 5th has been out for a long time now, and the army at ne point was a money-maker for the company. I bet sooner than later. Roumors had it late this year or mid next, but do not quote me there.

AbusePuppy
10-04-2010, 00:07
Magnetize your Crisis suit weapons and tank weapons. Other stuff can be glued.

If you want your Tau army to be good, focus on Crisis suits (with Missile/Plasma), Broadsides, and a decent smattering of Kroot. Fire Warriors are, unfortunately, pretty bad and should hide in their tank for the whole game. (Or, more accurately, the Pathfinder's tank, because you probably want some of those, too.)

Tau can be a very strong army, but they don't have a ton of good options like the newer codices do. They aren't due for an update any time in the near future (at least a year and quite possibly a lot more, according to the rumor mills), so if you aren't going to be happy playing that particular build, you're better off keeping the distance.

Bunnahabhain
10-04-2010, 01:08
Only glue where you can't magnetize.

No sense in tying yourself to one build, you might as well spend a little extra time now allowing multiple builds, as well as making the models codex/edition change proof

Troah
10-04-2010, 01:25
Magnetize models? Hu?

ehlijen
10-04-2010, 01:34
When it comes to crisis suit weapons, blue tac is actually all that's needed. Sometimes you do not even need that, but then it's not a guarantee it won't be annoying by falling off repeatedly during a game.

Bunnahabhain
10-04-2010, 01:34
Magnetize models? Hu?

Convert slightly as you build them, using small, powerful magnets on the body of the model, and on the various options you may wish to change, such as weapons.

A very common example would be sponsons on tanks. Magnetise the sponsons, so you can run it the tank with or without sponsons. Interchangeable weapons are also common.

Troah
10-04-2010, 01:38
Convert slightly as you build them, using small, powerful magnets on the body of the model, and on the various options you may wish to change, such as weapons.

A very common example would be sponsons on tanks. Magnetise the sponsons, so you can run it the tank with or without sponsons. Interchangeable weapons are also common.

Mmmmm...interesting, never thought about that. I shall try that once I am done hording a lot of firewarriors and failing.

loveless
10-04-2010, 04:39
Mmmmm...interesting, never thought about that. I shall try that once I am done hording a lot of firewarriors and failing.

For some reason, Troah's abysmal win/loss record always brings a smile to my face :p

----

Back on topic, magnets are an excellent option. Most Tau players I know have either done that or wish they had, lol.

Rare earth magnets are pretty cheap too...shipping can occasionally be a pain, depending on where you get them.

Hashmal
10-04-2010, 06:01
I credit Rare Earth magnets with single-handedly keeping me playing Dark Eldar. Never would've done it without vehicle weapon swaps. I change my loadouts weekly, it seems.

Troah
10-04-2010, 14:27
For some reason, Troah's abysmal win/loss record always brings a smile to my face :p

:cries: Meanie.

Griffindale
10-04-2010, 14:41
:cries: Meanie.

Ahhh poor Troah. You're probably the only one on the forum with an honest W/L record.

Troah
10-04-2010, 14:56
Ahhh poor Troah. You're probably the only one on the forum with an honest W/L record.

Yeah I don't really understand why people would lie about it. It's a game, so what if you lose? *Sigh* Anyway, one day I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was. To catch them is my real task, to train them is my cause. I will travel across the land, searching far and wide. Each Poke'm- Oh wait...This is warhammer. :D

One day I'll get good...maybe.

*Cough* I chose you, Broadside! *cough*