PDA

View Full Version : First Battle Report - High Elves vs. Wood Elves

Desert Rain
10-04-2010, 22:06
Today I played my first large game of warhammer for several months, so in order to celebrate to occasion I decided to write a battle report about it. Since this is my first battle report ever I appreciate your comments and advice on how I can improve if I decide to write more of them in the future.

I fielded my High Elves against a friends Wood Elves. We decided to play at 2250 even if he didn't have a good army at that points level. We set up the terrain together in a fairly conventional way with some hills, a ruin, a big boulder and the Wood Elves' mandatory wood.

Army Lists
High Elves
(Illyria) Archmage: Level 4, Silver Wand, Power Stone, Ring of Fury
(Sariah) Mage: Level 2, Seerstaff, Power Stone
(Cyriel) Noble: Battle Standard, Great Weapon, Armour of Caledor, Guardian Phoenix

10 Archers
10 Maiden (Sea) Guards: Shields

14 Swordmasters: Full Command, Banner of Sorcery
14 White Lions: Full Command, Standard of Balance, Amulet of Light
5 Dragon Princes
*5 Ellyrian Reavers, bows, musician
1 Tiranoc Chariot
1 Lion Chariot

2 Repeater Bolt Throwers
1 Great Eagle

*I accidently forgot that I had this unit in my list and didn't even deploy it on the table. Didn't remember them at all until now.

Wood Elves
Highborn: Alter, Bow of Loren, Arcane Bodkins, Glamourweave
Noble: Hail of Doom
Noble: Battle Standard, Elven Steed, Faoghir
Spellsinger: Level 2, 2 Dispel Scrolls

10 Glade Guards
10 Glade Guards
5 Glade Riders
5 Glade Riders
8 Dryads
8 Dryads
8 Dryads

5 Wild Riders
9 Scouts

2 Treemen

Pre-game Thoughts
Since his army was much faster then mine my first objective was to take out his flanking units and then deal with the main force of forest spirits. Hopefully with a cohesive line. The three dryad units, dual treemen and the pretty heavy ranged support would make that a really hard job for my troops though. I had much more magic than him though and that should help me against all the forest spirit units.

Spells
Illyria (Lore of Metal): Rule of Burning Iron, Transmutation of Lead, Distillation of Molten Silver, Law of Gold, Spirit of the Forge

Sariah (Lore of Fire): Fireball, Fiery Blast

Spellsinger: Treesinging, and something else that I don't remember.

The report itself will appear sometime tomorrow.

Seabo
10-04-2010, 22:36
I voted because I just like polls :D.
Elves of any kind are all evil IMO lol. But I'm thinkin the Welves are going to end up on top. Dual Treemen are huge PITAs lol

Teravoc
11-04-2010, 03:51
ooo evenly matched at time of writing this, Woodelves for the win!

Desert Rain
11-04-2010, 10:24
Deployment
I won the roll to choose table edge and picked the one with the two hills as they would make good fire points for the Sea Guard, the Archers and the Bolt Throwres.

From left to right my deployment was:

Dragon Princes Sea Guard Bolt Thrower Tiranoc Chariot White Lions Great Eagle (behind WLs) - Lion Chariot Swordmasters Bolt Thrower Archers.

High Elves deployment (http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll480/Wallner90/Battle%20Report%201/HighElfdeployment.jpg?t=1270979270)

Illyria joined the Sea Guard, Sariah the Swordmasters and Cyriel the White Lions.

The Wood Elves deployed like this:

Glade Riders - Dryads - Treeman - Dryads - (archers behind dryads) - Dryads - (archers behind dryads) - Treeman - Forest - Wild Riders - Glade Riders

The scouts deployed behind the ruined building to the left.
Wood Elves deployment 1 (http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll480/Wallner90/Battle%20Report%201/Woodelfdeploymentl.jpg?t=1270979274)

Wood Elves deployment 2 (http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll480/Wallner90/Battle%20Report%201/WEdeploymentr.jpg?t=1270979276)

Deployment overview, sorry about the blurry picture (http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll480/Wallner90/Battle%20Report%201/Deploymentoverview.jpg?t=1270979281)

---

Turn 1
High Elves
I rolled a 7 on the first turn roll and decided to take the initiative. The infantry line moved towards the enemy at almost full speed as I let the lion chariot set the pace. The Dragon Princes stayed behind their hill as I wanted to keep them in reserve. The Sea Guard moved 5 forwards so that they would be in range of the enemy. I also flew the Great Eagle 20 to protect the Swordmaster's flank on the right.

In the magic phase I managed to wound his alter general with Distillation of Molten Silver and the Ring of Fury killed four Glade Riders from the unit on the left flank, the survivor passed his panic test. Spirit of the Forge on one of the Treemen was scrolled.

The shooting phase resulted in the deaths of four of the Wild Riders, but as they are immune to psychology the survivor didn't flee. With no combat I handed over to my opponent

Wood Elves
The Battle Standard Bearer and the surviving Wild Rider moves their full move and hides behind the ruined building to the right. The Glade Riders and the Scouts move forwards at the normal pace so that they can shoot later. The forest spirits march their full 10 towards the High Elves.

Skipping the magic phase my opponent enters the shooting phase which results in the death of the Great Eagle and the destruction of the Lion Chariot.

End of turn 1 (main battle lines) (http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll480/Wallner90/Battle%20Report%201/endofturn1.jpg?t=1270980015)

End of turn 1 (from the Wood Elves table edge) (http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll480/Wallner90/Battle%20Report%201/endofturn11.jpg?t=1270980027)

End of turn 1 (overview) (http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll480/Wallner90/Battle%20Report%201/endofturn2.jpg?t=1270980027)

Turn 2
High Elves
The Swordmasters declare a charge on the Treeman in front of them and the Tiranoc Chariot against the Dryad unit that's in front of it. Unfortunately the Swordmasters fail the terror test form the Treeman and flee 7 backwards. The White Lions charge the central unit of Dryads and are unaffected by fear and terror because of their Standard of Balance. The Dragon Princes makes a long 16 wheel to position themselves facing the flank of the Wood Elven battle line, preparing to charge in the next turn.

The magic phase is uneventful since Sariah fails to cast Fireball at the Scouts and Spirit of the Forge is once again scrolled. Ring of Fury manages to kill a Dryad though.

The shooting phase is pretty uneventful as well and results in only a few wounds here and there.

In the combat phase the Tiranoc Chariot manages to roll 6 impact hits but still fails to kill enough dryads to win the combat, it manages to pass it's break test thanks to Illyria being close by though.
The White Lions manage to do better and kills a swathe of Dryads before breaking them and failing to run them down.

Wood Elves
The Wood Elves opens their turn with the Treeman charging the flank of the Tiranoc Chariot, which fails it's panic test and is run down. The rest of the army does some manoeuvring to get into position for the next turn.

The magic Phase is uneventful but their shooting phase on the other hand is devastating. Everything opens fire against the White Lions and over 20 arrows plus a Hail of Doom slays nine of the brave warriors, seriously crippling the unit.

Turn 3
High Elves
The turn begins with the Dragon Princes charging the Dryad unit to the left and luckily manages to pass their fear test. The White Lions charge the fleeing Dryads in front of them and manages to run them down positioning themselves for a charge in the next turn. The Swordmasters manage to rally after last turns panic, thankfully.

The magic phase finally do something as the Wood Elves now are out of scrolls. Spirit of the Forge takes 4 wounds of the Treeman to the left. The Ring of Fury manages to kill some archers which panics the unit and the mage in it of the table. Sariah once again has trouble of meeting her casting values...

In contrast to the magic phase the shooting isn't that effective, just killing some random models across the board.

In the combat phase the Dragon Princes destroys the Dryads and overrun into the next unit of Dryads.

Middle of High Elves turn 3 (left half of the table) (http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll480/Wallner90/Battle%20Report%201/turn3.jpg?t=1270981172)

Middle of High Elves turn 3 (right side of the table) (http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll480/Wallner90/Battle%20Report%201/turn31.jpg?t=1270981175)

Wood Elves
The Wood Elven Battle Standard bearer charges the flank of my archer unit and the Treemen position themselves to that they can use their shooting attack in the shooting phase.

The shooting phase is a disaster as all the remaining White Lions expect for the standard bearer and the guardian are killed. Even more disastrous is the loss of 9 swordmasters. 2 of the Sea Guard are killed as well.

In the combat phase the archers kill the last Wild Rider, but the BSB kills one archer in return. In total I loose by one but manage to hold.

---

Turn 4 to 6 to follow

Desert Rain
11-04-2010, 11:19
Turn 4
High Elves
The White Lions and Cyriel charges the remaining Wood Elf archer unit. The Sea Guards move 5 down the hill towards the Treeman. Illyria leaves the unit and instead joins the Bolt Thrower's crew. Sariah leaves the Bladelord who is the only surviving member of his unit. He runs and hides to prevent my opponent from getting the full VP score from his unit. Sariah instead joins the other Bolt Thrower's crew.

Once again the magic phase is effective. Spirit of the Forge manages to brutally burn the Treeman to the right to ashes. Distillation of Molten Silver kills the Wood Elven general and Ring of Fury kills 7 of the Scouts. Sariah once again fails to hit her casting values.

In close combat the White Lions and Cyriel brutally kills some archers, but they loose the standard bearer leaving just the Guardian to protect Cyriel. The Archers and the Wood Elven BSB's combat is fairly uneventful, the archers loose but once again manages to hold. The Dragon Princes kills the Dryads and overruns into the Treeman.

Wood Elves
The scouts charge the Archers on the hill to the right in the movement phase and the lone Glade Rider to the left charges Illyria and the Bolt Thrower

In the combat phase the Wood Elven archers loose 4 models but manages to hold. The Guardian is also slain leaving Cyriel on his own. Illyria and the Crew kills the lone Glade Rider before he can even attack them.

The Dragon Prince manages to score a wound on the Treeman. Horrible armour save rolls unfortunately sees three of them biting the dust. Thankfully they manage to hold. The High Elven archers manage to slay one of the scouts, takes a few causalities on their own but they hold their ground.

Turn 5
High Elves
The Sea Guard charges to Treeman to support the Dragon Princes, a rather bad move from me in hindsight.

In the magic phase Illyria tries to remove the remaining Treeman's last wound with Rule of Burning Iron, she rolls two 1s however, and looses a wound for her troubles. The miscast also causes the magic phase to end immediately.

In close combat the Archers are destroyed thanks to some lucky rolls from the Wood Elven BSB, they manage to take down the last Scout however. With only a Wood Elven hero and Cyriel left in combat they duel n their own and Cyriel looses a wound, the combat is a draw thanks to his battle standard. The big fight to the left goes bad since I fail to wound the Treeman and it kills 4 Sea Guards. Thankfully they manage to hold because Illyria is nearby.

Sea Guards charge the Treeman! (http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll480/Wallner90/Battle%20Report%201/bigcombat.jpg?t=1270983515)

Wood Elves
With no unengaged units we move directly to the combat phase which results in Cyriel killing his opponent and the Sea Guard to flee from the Treeman. The Dragon Princes managed to hold though.

Turn 6
High Elves
The Sea Guard rallies. Sariah finally manages to cast a spell and fries the Wood Elven BSB with a Fiery Blast. Illyria manages to remove the last wound from the Treeman with Spirit of the Forge, killing the last Wood Elven model on the field.

The last fight (http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll480/Wallner90/Battle%20Report%201/T6combat.jpg?t=1270983521)

Result: Victory to the High Elves!

Survivors (http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll480/Wallner90/Battle%20Report%201/Survivors.jpg?t=1270983524)

Post-game thoughts
It was a really fun game to play and in the first turn it looked like it would be a hard fought match, which it also was. When the Swordmasters fled and the White Lions were almost all slain by the shooting it looked pretty bleak for me. I think that my magic phases in turn 3 and 4 were a turning point in the game since it killed of a large amount of my opponent's remaining units. I believe that my opponent would gain more by charging with his Treemen instead of just moving them out of my LoS and using the shooting attack. That allowed me to grab the initiative easier since he was so reluctant to get them into combat.

El Aartos
11-04-2010, 11:37
Nice battle report mate! I'm glad the High Elves managed to win, because woodies can be a real pain. Your magic was really succesfull, when I play magic heavy all spells fail or do no damage.
I hope to read some more reports, this one was nice written ^^

Lord Dan
12-04-2010, 07:06
Everyone's dead!

kaubin
12-04-2010, 13:52
Sweet battle report, I loved it :D

At first I thought the Wood Elves would take it, elves never really liked arrows, but when I saw your army was almost all painted, I knew you had the upper hand!

Looks like the magic phase really set the pace though, and your magic killed faster than his arrows. Thanks again for the report.

Malorian
12-04-2010, 18:56
Great first battle report :)

Hope to see more!

Desert Rain
12-04-2010, 19:03
Thank you for you're kind words :)
It was fun making a report so I'll probably do it again, and next time I'll try to remember to take pictures of every turn.

At first I thought the Wood Elves would take it, elves never really liked arrows, but when I saw your army was almost all painted, I knew you had the upper hand!
There is wisdom in that saying "the dice gods favours the better painted army" ;)

Seabo
12-04-2010, 19:13
Well now grats to the pointy helms :D
Nice Batrep

selone
13-04-2010, 16:41
Thanks a lot for the battle report, nice and easy to follow. Of your units you have painted I really like the finish :)