PDA

View Full Version : Resolving Multi Unit Combats

fenrisnorth
10-04-2010, 22:25
A large combat involves multiple units on both sides. One unit completely wipes out all enemy units it is in base contact with, but other units on its side are still engaged. Can said unit:

A: Overrun if it charged.
B: Flee if its side as a whole loses the combat.
C: Pursue if its side as a whole wins combat.

I am sure this question is answered somewhere in the rulebook, the FAQs, or elsewhere on this forum, but for the life of me I can't find. Thank you in advance for any help.

Lord Inquisitor
10-04-2010, 22:37
This is a little tricky but here's my take on it: The units are considered part of the combat until after resolution. So it would flee and pursue as applicable just as normal. Then if they're out of contact due to a unit being wiped out they are free to move off. If they're out of contact due to casualties bu the unit is still there then they're just fudged back together.

I'd say no overrun because you could have the bizarre situation of losing combat yet overrunning. So no overrun unless all enemies are wiped out.

L1qw1d
20-04-2010, 19:57
Well, the first clarification of the description I would ask is: the units on the side- farther than 2 inches away? I think this becomes one of those "roll the dice to see who decides" things because I would allow the entirety of the unit that was attacking (not any others) to move forward until they went within the 1" Rule, but no attacking until a different round, since they used the attacks for the round. For Fleeing, I would treat them all as separate, and would have them ROLL separately. If the enemies ran, I'd have them roll separately to Overrun as well- Can you expect a footsoldier to keep up with your dark riders or manticores?

Nurgling Chieftain
20-04-2010, 23:16
I don't remember the details of A.

For B you can definitely flee if your side lost combat, although I don't think you can be pursued (as there is no enemy unit in contact to pursue you), and frankly the direction you flee in ends up technically being random (you flee from the largest unit in base contact, randomize in the case of a tie - 0 vs. 0 vs. 0 vs. 0!).

Similarly, for C, you cannot pursue as you are not in contact with a fleeing enemy unit.