PDA

View Full Version : Skaven 1k vs Woodelves

Xynok
11-04-2010, 00:05
My friend is employing a reasonably shooty wood elf army so I'm trying to design a list around it. There's been some cuts in places I would prefer to have not made but hopefully it'll fare ok... Any thoughts on it would be greatly appreciated as well as tactical advice.

Warlock level 1 - 65
Chieftain BSB with warbanner and a shield - 97

29 Clanrats with shields and FC - 150.5
25 Clanrats with shields, mus and standard, doom-flayer - 179.5
18 Giant rats with 2 packmasters - 70
20 Slaves - 40

19 Plague monks, FC and storm banner - 208
5 Jezzails - 100

Warplightning cannon - 90

Goes to exactly 1000

Necromancer2
12-04-2010, 00:17
against a shooty list and no stormbanner?

I'd drop something for that instead of the war banner and probaby drop the Jezzails and find a way for a good unit of PCB's!

Xynok
12-04-2010, 00:29
against a shooty list and no stormbanner?

I'd drop something for that instead of the war banner and probaby drop the Jezzails and find a way for a good unit of PCB's!

Dude read it. Plague monk unit has a storm banner on it.

I don't really want to drop my Jezzails since I don't have much firepower otherwise. Though it is quite a lot to spend on 5 dudes. I need to look at PCBs seriously, I just haven't because the models are so awful so I'll need to convert up my own.

Necromancer2
12-04-2010, 13:16
Dude.. sorry for trying to help.

Nocculum
12-04-2010, 14:45
Jezzails, BS3, against an army of Skirmishers is not the best of ideas. You'd be better investing in two weapon teams for your clanrat blocks for mass fire power; better chance of causing a wound or two.

Xynok
12-04-2010, 17:21
Necromancer - I know I was just half asleep and grumpy lol No offence meant.

Nocculum - Any ideas on specific teams?

Necromancer2
12-04-2010, 20:01
It's all good!

Plauge motars are the cheapest (shooty)at 60 points.. though very random.. with no saves could crush Woodies!

Bladelord
12-04-2010, 20:35
Ratling Guns are the cheapest shooty ones Necro!:)

Spinocus
12-04-2010, 21:02
You're bringing a Warp-Lightning Cannon vs a skirmisher army? That toy needs ranked units or monsters in order to maximize its effectiveness. If he doesn't bring a Treeman then you'll have to hope you get a nice flank shot on a unit of Wild Riders or Glade Guard.

So you could...

Be Vicious...
- Ditch the Jezzails and the WLC and bring a Doomwheel instead. Drop the remaining 40 points into your existing Giant Rat unit (more PMs and some rats) or create a small GR 'rat dart' unit for flanking or baiting. At 1000pts a WE general won't have much to counter a DW and its 3 bolts of D3 wounds/wound Zzzap! attacks can potentially take out a Treeman in one round. DW can also keep Treekin honest.

Be Practical...
- Yeah, Plague Censer Bearers would be nice. Drop the Jezzails and WLC and get a nice 7 strong unit of PCBs and toss in a Warpfire Thrower for the larger Clanrat unit. Then either give that Slave unit one more slave and a musician and toss another rat into your Giant Rat unit or... simply buy a musician for the slaves and get two more rats for that Giant Rat unit. Remember, Stormbanner or not screen those PCBs and Weapons Teams with your Slave or Clanrat units! Don't rely on the banner to last long enough to protect them as they cross the battlefield!

Be Magical...
- Ditch the Jezzails and WLC and boost that Warlock to lvl 2 and give him the Warp-Condenser item. Warp-Lightning rips the hell out of WE, especially since it negates their 5+ Ward saves (only good versus non-magical attacks). Toss the remaining points wherever you please.

Xynok
12-04-2010, 21:59
Ok well I have some stuff to draw from. I was concerned about using the cannon since at best it'll be thin ranks so I'll drop that out when I get models to replace it with. And I am going to be getting a doomwheel likely as my next purchase or soon anyway.

The magical option looks quite nice but the condenser's ability to generate extra power dice will end up wasted unless I stick in 2 engineers which is an idea.

I can't really see my jezzails having many things to really get the most out of them.

I know he's likely to take wardancers, what would be a good counter for that lot?

Any thoughts on using poison, dual hand weapons and a tail weapon on the BSB?
Gutter Runners to get into the rear?

Kuolema
13-04-2010, 10:19

If he is running a shooty list he will have dyrads to protect his glade guard and trees nom rats pretty easy xD

I agree the Doomwheel would just be nasty the elves have almost no S6 attacks in a 1000 point list, the only problem you would have to worry about is massed fire, shoot enough arrows at anything and you can kill it xD

Magic is very nasty against woodies just make sure you deal with War hawk riders, Great Eagles, glade riders and maybe even wild riders as soon as possible. Dead warlocks can't kill anything.

Wardancers can be nasty vs the right targets but they are really squishy, T3 no armor and only a 6+ ward to protect them, they do have magic resistance 1 and one of their dances can grant them a 4+ ward save in close combat thou.
Also they can only use one dance at a time and they can't use the same dance in 2 consecutive rounds of the same combat and they are only S4 on the charge if combat drags on or you charge them they are only S3.

Their dances are
+1 attack, mostly used on the charge so each dancer has 3 WS6 S4 attacks

killing blow, I don't think they will use this vs you since you really don't have much armor

4+ ward save, used to give the dancers some form of protection when they get charged.

-1 attack but gain ASF, personally I don't see much point in this dance, only one attack from each dancer doesn't seem worth it.

Alright I'm done rambling, don't know if any of this was helpful or not =/

Spinocus
13-04-2010, 21:12
Ok well I have some stuff to draw from. I was concerned about using the cannon since at best it'll be thin ranks so I'll drop that out when I get models to replace it with. And I am going to be getting a doomwheel likely as my next purchase or soon anyway.

The magical option looks quite nice but the condenser's ability to generate extra power dice will end up wasted unless I stick in 2 engineers which is an idea.

I can't really see my jezzails having many things to really get the most out of them.

I know he's likely to take wardancers, what would be a good counter for that lot?

Any thoughts on using poison, dual hand weapons and a tail weapon on the BSB?

Actually thanks to an abundance of low or zero armor targets the much maligned 7th ed Ratling Gun is quite effective versus the WE. A Ratling should take out a bunch of Wardancers in a turn or two. It's also good for guarding versus Warhawks, Eagles and WE cav sneaking about on the flanks. However the Stormbanner effects could ruin whatever chances you get of thinning their ranks before they hit your lines. In contrast the WFT & PWM are not affected by the Stormbanner (non-BS using Warpstone Weapons = Magical Attacks = not affected by Stormbanner).

I'd go with a standard Great Weapon & Shield setup for your BSB. Versus some of the meaner WE units he'll need all the protection he can get so don't cheat him out of that 3+ Armor Save he can get with hand weapon & shield (never know when you'll need it). Sure, toss him some Scavenge Pile Poison and a Tail Weapon if you can spare the points but for so few attacks its worth is debatable. I'd sooner put that 23 pts elsewhere... like a minimum size unit of Giant Rats (5 rats, 1 PM) you can use for baiting, screening, flanking or table quarter squatting.