PDA

View Full Version : Archers/ Huntsmen

zanzibar
11-04-2010, 08:24
G'day, Recently I added a unit of 10 archers/huntsmen to my talabecland empire army, and im really struggling on the appropriate use for these guys, for example what is the advantage of screening skirmishers in front of infantry blocks? ( i see alot of this on the net batreps) Are archers useful in front of flagelants? Some tips on how to use huntsmen and archers would be brilliant.

Thanks in advance.

The Farmer
11-04-2010, 13:47
Archers with flaggelants screen them and prevent them from charging where you don't want them to.

Archer screens can be used to redirect charging troops, if you search up warhammer online and find the article by Marcus Octavius theres a good description of what they can do. Usually when fielded this way they're detachments.

Huntsmen are a different matter, they scout but with a footprint of 10 its hard for them to hide. Generally treat them as scouts, harrass warmachines, marchblock if you ever get the chance and take pot shots.

Commodus Leitdorf
11-04-2010, 14:40
Archers are generally used as screens for detachments and as charge redirectors. They are a throw away unit mostly, and not really there to shoot stuff. I used to use them but I find I rather prefer using knights/pistoliers/Pegasus captain to charge redirect then an archer screen.

As for huntsmen...they may be a 10 man unit and hard to scout sometimes. But I can honestly say I would rather drop my Steam Tank from my list before I would drop my huntsmen. March blocking and taking out enemy fast cav is what I use mine for. ANd when nescessary I boldly sacrifice them as well! (Sometimes it must be done!).

Ozorik
11-04-2010, 15:14
I like archers, my infantry blocks each have a detachment of 10. They don't kill much but they are a useful unit to have (although a bit too expensive for what they do). Aside from re-directing and screening they are also a pretty good missile screen.

Huntsmen are just a good harassment/utility unit, they aren't there for the damage they can do.

danny-d-b
11-04-2010, 15:26
I'd say the best use of them is to string them out infront of your infantry blocks so your blocking line of sight to them, that way your blocks can't be shot and you can move forwards and shoot with bows (yep you can't march and shoot but you may not want to)

as for huntsmen, there great just holding terrain- yep there not going to do much damage but a few kills over the entire game might hurt something- and I have taken a giant down with mine (though it did roll 3 pick up and... and I caused 3 wounds standing and shooting from the 10 of them)

Irisado
11-04-2010, 23:47
I agree with the others about using Archers as a screening unit, and they are also quite handy if you play a more mobile Empire army, due to the fact that unlike Crossbowmen and Handgunners, they can move and fire. This means you can use your infantry more aggressively, and take the battle to your opponent, although I don't think this an especially popular way to play the Empire, so using them as a screening unit is probably your best bet.

If you are interested in how you could make use of Huntsmen, which are more difficult to use effectively than Archers in my view, you may find this (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2536327&postcount=66) useful.

Stumpy
12-04-2010, 00:13
Why do archers make for a good redirector? I'm under the impression that the tactical charges you can perform against skirmishers allowing for desirable overruns by the charger makes ranked detachments a better redirector as you know where the enemy has to go.
Screen yes, but I don't see why they're good as redirectors.

Commodus Leitdorf
12-04-2010, 03:59
Why do archers make for a good redirector? I'm under the impression that the tactical charges you can perform against skirmishers allowing for desirable overruns by the charger makes ranked detachments a better redirector as you know where the enemy has to go.
Screen yes, but I don't see why they're good as redirectors.

True, if the Archers hold. If the archers flee those rules don't apply and you use the closest visible skirmisher as the centre of the unit. Having your archers out in a diagonal fashion infront of your main blocks will force your opponent to expose his flanks when you flee.

Stumpy
12-04-2010, 04:02
That... is unusual. Rulebook reference?

ftayl5
12-04-2010, 05:14
Huntsmen are good. Why?

The only scouts in the empire army, they are an invaluable choice. They excell at march blocking like no ther empire unit, which can greatly increase the potential of your gunline. Even if you don't have a gunline, the huntsmen can shoot at the enemy shooters, or knock a rank bonus or even cause panic to some enemy units. They are fantastic at lone Wizard hunting. With 10 shots against the average wizards 2 wounds, you're almost guaranteed to kill him.

Archers to are excellent, a brilliant screen for the shooting magnet known as greatswords. Full plate armour aint so good when the shot is S4, armour piercing hey? So chuck some archers in front. Now the greatswords cant be shot at. The archers are skirmishers too and hence the enemy is less likely to hit them, so they can prtect your greatswords all day long!

Disclaimer: With long range, and -1 to hit for shooting at a lone charcter, the chance of the huntsmen hitting the wizard is low, and wounding average. Archers are only T3 and have no save and will almost always be wounded if they are hit.

zanzibar
12-04-2010, 08:51
Great thanks this really helps clear up some of the issues i had with them.
i fashioned mine with the new marauder heads (beards without helms) to make them more "kislevish"/ border north talabecland.
I know this isnt the place but ill post my army list with archers so you guys tell me how bad/ok it is and the role of the archers in this list.
And thanks again for your help!

Lord
Temp grand master, sword of power, holy relic, shield, b. warhorse, plate.
Heroes
Luthor Huss
BSB captain, armour f meteoric iron, standard, sword of might
Warrior priest. heavy armour, great weapon
level 2 wizard, 2 dispell scrolls (fire)
level 2 wizard, 2 dispell scrolls (death/shadow)
Core
25 swordsmen, FC, detachments of 10 handgunners and 5 swordsmen
25 Halbediers, FC, Detachments of 10 handgunners and 5 halbediers
25 Spearmen, Detachments of 10 handgunners, and 5 halbediers
10 archers ( to screen Greatswords and do shooty things)
20 flagelants
6 knights, preceptor
Special
6 inner circle, preceptor, standard
great cannon
great cannon
5 outriders
20 greatswords, FC
Rare
Bronzinos galloper gun

3000 pts
So what do u guys think of the list, and more importantly the role the archers should play in it and if i should uograde them to huntsmen?
Thanks! Zan.

Commodus Leitdorf
12-04-2010, 12:37
That... is unusual. Rulebook reference?

Not rulebook, its in the FAQ...there's a handy diagram too I believe (can't remember...been awhile since I used archer detachments like that)

zanzibar
14-04-2010, 14:57
Ahhhh that makes more sense