PDA

View Full Version : Overkill- no kill like it!

polymphus
11-04-2010, 07:26
Today, for complete lack of a better target, I fired an entire broadside team at a single guardsman. Said guardsman was promptly reduced to a red smear about twelve inches wide and fifteen miles long. So tell us, what's the most firepower you've ever applied to removing the smallest possible threat?

azimaith
11-04-2010, 07:28
32 Hormagaunts into a single space marine scout.
(He won! Amazingly awful dice that day!)

Another time, 5 battle wagons rammed an immobilized rhino and smushed in on the last one.

Urban Shaman Commando
11-04-2010, 08:12
When shooting overkill is the only good kill. I remember a case where I RF'd a single Reaver with 12 Fire Warriors because there was no other choice and it was contesting an objective. And I also painfully remember a time when I shot an SMS against a Dark Eldar Warrior camping on an objective...naturaly I rolled three 1's when trying to wound it. The game ended as a draw because of that. :mad:

Desert thunder
11-04-2010, 08:48
An apocalypse game. 1 StormBlade + 1 Mob of Boyz = 30 foot crater and an annoyed opponent.

The Ginger Ninja
11-04-2010, 08:48
40 warriors close range shooting to take out one rhino. (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4528333&postcount=38)

32 Hormagaunts into a single space marine scout.
(He won! Amazingly awful dice that day!)

There's something in a terry pratchett book (Guards Guards?)
It goes along the lines of "if it is a one in a million chance, it is it sure to succeed."
Something like that :shifty:

Bunnahabhain
11-04-2010, 09:36
I have a feeling Guard players might just lead in the overkill firepower stakes...

Two Manticores, to get rid of an Ork Trukk. 6 S10 Ordnance Pie plates later.....it's immobilised, so no threat. There was also a little collateral damage to the surrounding Ork army...

Also, Leman russ Demolisher, with plasma cannons naturally, applied to a Scout squad. I wasn't aiming at the Scouts , so much as the building they were on, which had most of the marine army behind it, and demolisher cannons were originally supposed to be Anti- Fortification weapons. Scouts and Building gone, the rest of the army opens fire...

Devastator
11-04-2010, 10:01
everything kharn the betrayer do is overkill

jamesterjlrb
11-04-2010, 10:36
A 10 man squad of the old death company with lemartes into anything was overkill :D

dragonet111
11-04-2010, 10:55
9 death company marines against a single eldar guardian. oh and I forget the chaplain.

Tzeech
11-04-2010, 11:06
Kornish Lord with wings and daemon weapon bloodfeeder vs a 9 squad of storm boyz led by boss Zagstuk there where no survivors

Reflex
11-04-2010, 11:52
46 conscripts rapid firing 4 (traitor) guardsmen. overkill? well no, only 3 hit and in true conscript style, all failed to wound. next turn they ran off the board. that was the last time i left the lord commissar in the case.

AFnord
11-04-2010, 12:19
[quote]It goes along the lines of "if it is a one in a million chance, it is it sure to succeed."[/quite]
It's more along the line of "One in a million chances happens 9 times out of 10", sadly I read the book in swedish a long long time ago. It would be better if someone who has read it in it's native language would give the exact quite.

30 orks against a single guardsman. There were no guardsman after that charge.

4 maganobz against a single grot.

One grot against a khorne berzerker (alright, the grot did not actually kill it, but it was not killed either, during the 4 rounds of close combat that took place).

FatBot
11-04-2010, 12:36
15 Blood Claws with the Trickster and Ragnar charging the 2 guardsmen left on the field. rolled a 3 on the d3 for Ragnar's charge. 71 attacks. thanks to my rolling alot of it missed but it was funny.

or

Arjac throwing his hammer at the final fleeing eldar guardian. S10 vs T3. nuff said.

Zeitkraft
11-04-2010, 12:59
5 Thunderwolf Cavalry w/ Frost Axe and a Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf with Frostblade charge a squad of grots... the puppies got a nice meal.

Next turn they then got charged by 20 boys with Nob. Yeh... those wolves got a big old mouthful of green that day and not a single scratch on 'em.

massey
11-04-2010, 14:49
A friend of mine has a lot of Eldar. It's somewhere in the range of 40,000 points. He has probably 15 superheavies, including 2 Phantom Titans. Well, there was a guy at the shop (we'll call him "Stinky" for obvious reasons) who at one point stated "I almost have as much Eldar as Rob does," and brought up some piece of crap Lego tank that he had created to prove it. This offended my friend to his very soul. It is a grudge he nurtures to this day.

So a year or two later, we're doing an Apocalypse game where Rob takes all his Eldar and fights like 12 people at once. In what has been termed the battle of "Get off of my lawn!", the Eldar get first turn and open fire. Enemy Titans explode in giant fireballs. One poor sap set up his entire army underneath a Reaver Titan. Said Titan exploded first turn in a 22" Str D explosion. Poor sap picks up his entire army and slinks away, never to be seen again. Turn 1 ends with the Eldar in near perfect health, and only a handful of enemy units remaining. But that isn't the overkill part.

Turn 2, Rob is moving his models, looks down, and sees the only remaining part of Stinky's army (the rest having been wiped out in secondary explosions), a squad of Tau Stealth Suits (Stinky having long before switched from badly-painted Eldar to badly-painted Tau). I see the rage build in Rob's eyes. He ignores handful of remaining enemy units who could actually cause his army damage. Instead, in the greatest act of overkill possible, he turns his Phantom Titan towards the Stealth Suits. "YOU!!!!!"

He opens fire on a 3 man Stealth Suit team with a Pulsar and a Heat Lance. 3 5" Str D templates and a 7" Str D template land on the Tau. Stinky picks up his models and leaves the store.

Griffindale
11-04-2010, 16:53
A friend of mine has a lot of Eldar. It's somewhere in the range of 40,000 points. He has probably 15 superheavies, including 2 Phantom Titans. Well, there was a guy at the shop (we'll call him "Stinky" for obvious reasons) who at one point stated "I almost have as much Eldar as Rob does," and brought up some piece of crap Lego tank that he had created to prove it. This offended my friend to his very soul. It is a grudge he nurtures to this day.

So a year or two later, we're doing an Apocalypse game where Rob takes all his Eldar and fights like 12 people at once. In what has been termed the battle of "Get off of my lawn!", the Eldar get first turn and open fire. Enemy Titans explode in giant fireballs. One poor sap set up his entire army underneath a Reaver Titan. Said Titan exploded first turn in a 22" Str D explosion. Poor sap picks up his entire army and slinks away, never to be seen again. Turn 1 ends with the Eldar in near perfect health, and only a handful of enemy units remaining. But that isn't the overkill part.

Turn 2, Rob is moving his models, looks down, and sees the only remaining part of Stinky's army (the rest having been wiped out in secondary explosions), a squad of Tau Stealth Suits (Stinky having long before switched from badly-painted Eldar to badly-painted Tau). I see the rage build in Rob's eyes. He ignores handful of remaining enemy units who could actually cause his army damage. Instead, in the greatest act of overkill possible, he turns his Phantom Titan towards the Stealth Suits. "YOU!!!!!"

He opens fire on a 3 man Stealth Suit team with a Pulsar and a Heat Lance. 3 5" Str D templates and a 7" Str D template land on the Tau. Stinky picks up his models and leaves the store.

Omg thats a hilarious story Massey. Really shows you how vindictive and capricious those Eldar can be. :D

Empire
11-04-2010, 17:14
This actually happened to me...:(

My lone Tomb Spyder was still holding it out in some corner when my opponent brought in 3 Leman Russes.

Let's just say it didn't end well for poor Mr. Spider.:(

Murrithius
11-04-2010, 17:22
5 Black Templar Assault Termies with Furious Charge, Accept any Challenge vow and Lightning Claws charge 2 Orks....

heh heh heh....

Raven1
11-04-2010, 17:22
Not so much over kill, but I had a lone commissar with no hope of killing my Demon Prince locked in combat with me for at least 3 turns. I never wounded his model once in 3 turns. All i had to do was wound him once, and he would have died, and he had no chance of even wounding me if he had actually hit me. Into the fourth turn, I turned him into goo with my dreadaxe.

Ignatum
11-04-2010, 17:38
A few squads of Necron warriors were holding an objective in an Apocalypse game. They had whatever that awesome asset was so no matter what almost all of them kept getting back up. Well my friend and I decided, like a sleazy salesman, everything must go!

Two Warhounds turned their Plasma Blastguns and Turbo-Lasers on them, followed by 4 basilisks, then fixed by one more Warhound's turbo-laser from afar. On squads of Necron warriors.

Panzerkanzler
11-04-2010, 18:53
Last edition of 40k I charged 10 fire warriors into two plague marines. Two rounds later I won. I'm Tau, for me that is overkill.

Monospot
11-04-2010, 19:04
In an "Orks vs everyone" Apoc game at my LGS, I charged a Tau Hammerhead with my Great Gargant in close combat (the BoLS GG rules, 2500 points of Orky monolithic goodness).

The Hammerhead did not fare well.

Sir_Lunchalot
11-04-2010, 22:12
The Pratchett quote is from (I believe) Guards! Guards! Basically, there's a gigantic dragon flying around Ankh-Morpork, possibly pretending to be the king. Nobby, Carrot and Colon are on the roof of a building trying to shoot it down. The quote is "one in a million last desperate chances happen 9 times out of 10". Of course they then go on to wonder what if it's not a one in a million chance of hitting it? what if it's only one in a few hundred thousand? In the end they go with I forget if it's Colon or Nobby, standing on one leg, blindfolded, trying to shoot the dragon in the voonerables while shistling some obscure drinking song. sadly, the odds were too good for it to work, as "fate had 999,999 casting votes".

As for overkill... the most painful overkill I've done was throwing multiple pie plates at one last marine sitting on an objective and desperately hoping that I would hit, wound, and that he would fail a goram cover save.

the_gobbo_king
11-04-2010, 22:24
Dante + Sanguinary Guard + Sanguinary Priest charging my 30 Grots...

TGK.

MasterDecoy
11-04-2010, 23:17
broodlord+full stealer squad (kitted out) at 1 command platoon, back in 4th. (Back then, I hardly ever got past the to hit roll)

Tourniquet
12-04-2010, 02:02
A blade storm at one fleeing hormigaunt, the DA had guide, and the Hormigaunt had doom.

Was their last model on table.

32 hits
32 Wounds
No armour saves

Crovax20
12-04-2010, 07:06
well it didn't end up being overkill but here it is.

85 attacks from orc boyz on a squad of 5 terminators

After all that was done, still 5 terminators standing, the guy saved all 19 wounds. My warboss with powerklaw gets to strike and gibs all 5 terminators to show the boyz how you are supposed to kill them.

IcedAnimals
12-04-2010, 07:16
8 Immortals fired onto a single tau firewarrior.

Corporeal
12-04-2010, 08:15
icefire warhead dropped straight onto an eldar jetbike.

nothing remained.

magicmonkey
12-04-2010, 08:34
when an avatar charged my grots
they got one turn of shooting, but suprizingly that and combat knocked 3 wounds of his avatar:evilgrin:

Deetwo
12-04-2010, 08:40
Shooting grots with meltaguns...

:D

Nothing like it.

Trigo
12-04-2010, 09:03
My farseer v a shas'el and 3 shas'vre battle suits held for 3 turns in close combat with the tau player looking very confused as to why he can bearly hit a lone eldar.

genestealer_baldric
12-04-2010, 10:01
36 rapidfire firewarriors into nijal, and he survived :(

he kills all but 3 of 1 squad after powers and in cc they run then regroup and shoot him to death so 3 succed where 36 failed in the previous round.

AFnord
12-04-2010, 18:21
Last edition of 40k I charged 10 fire warriors into two plague marines. Two rounds later I won. I'm Tau, for me that is overkill.
Reminds me of a similar scenario back in 3rd edition. 10 fire warriors (mine) charge 2 khorne berzerkers. It did not end so well for the poor tau fire warriors (but as I was the attacker in a meat grinder scenario, it did not really matter, they died for the greater good).

DarkstarSabre
12-04-2010, 18:33
I present overkill.

2 Hive Tyrants into one lone Conscript.

I present the opposite.

LEJ sends 5 Deathwing Terminators to deal with a single Nurgling base...which promptly kills the Terminators over 3 turns.

noobzor
12-04-2010, 22:47
I once had my friend fire his entire 1850 guard army at my Avatar... poor thing.

Ork X
13-04-2010, 03:46
10 nob bikers armed to the gills, klaws and uge choppas, against 3 ratlings...

NovaScotius
13-04-2010, 07:23
3 Tau Broadside Battle Suits fire their Rail Guns at a lone Grot, all three rolling a 1 'to wound', leaving a very bemused little Gretchin!

A distinct case of underkill.

neko
13-04-2010, 08:22
3 Tau Broadside Battle Suits fire their Rail Guns at a lone Grot, all three rolling a 1 'to wound', leaving a very bemused little Gretchin!
I now have the image of a gretchin holding out his hand Matrix style, and 6 railgun rounds slowing to a halt in front of him before falling to the ground.
Seriously, this should be about the only way that 6 railgun rounds should ever leave a gretchin as anything more than a smear on the scenery ;)

Hamarpain
13-04-2010, 08:29
One Chaos Marine Iconbearer vs 120 lasgun bolts. I promised my friend if heŽd survive, heŽd get FNP. He didnŽt.

Or 2xHellhound and LR Eradicator frying grots. I ran out of other targets, so why not?

Symrivven
13-04-2010, 09:22
For lack of a better target I charged 10 striking scorpions + exarch in one tau sniper team (with one drone left).

Herman the Heathen
13-04-2010, 09:44
Last edition when there still were target priority.

My 15 strong loota mob failed it when I wanted to shoot some warriors, and decided to fire at the three hormagaunts in the open 5 inches away...
they dice for shots came up a 6, so 45 S7 shots at point blank range later the Hormagaunts was reduced to a fine mist...:skull:

On the other hand, I don't belive the orks actually have a word for "Overkill", so this might not qualify...:evilgrin:

Ellythrion
13-04-2010, 11:18
A mother of an overkill...

It was the end of my most recent game on Good Friday and I'd massacred my friend - I was playing with my Nid army, he was playing marines.

Anyhow, last turn, last target in assault range - a lone tactical squad marine.

He took a charge from, I kid you not - A Hive Tyrant, a Trygon, a Carnifex with crushing claws and scything talons, a single warrior with rending claws and 9 hormagaunts. To add insult to injury, the Hive Tyrant threw a paroxysm in there before the charge, meaning he was at WS1 and his lash whip further impeeded the poor thing! Managed to squeeze the tyrant, trygon and carnifex into base contact while some of the hormies and warrior got their 2" attacks

Needless to say, he was eaten...

Bunnahabhain
13-04-2010, 11:31
There is always the occasionally true example.

Laspistol* vs Calgar... And the traitorous coward of a Space Marine dies, automatically.

* In the hands of a commissar, naturally...

Gaargod
13-04-2010, 13:31
Technically boltpistol for a commisar? But yeah, that one is funny in apoc when he chooses to fail morale checks.

About turn 3 of an apoc planetstrike game (was absolute madness, most stuff was dead by this stage including no less than 7 bastions). There had been a full squad of deathwing termies with attached chaplain at beginning. Couple of super heavy tanks later, the chaplain alone is there. The brass scorpion, who'd removed a few by himself, decides he'll remove that damm chaplain. 4 ID wounds later, the chaplain pulls off a Gandalf move (you shall not pass!) and makes his invulnerables.

gwarsh41
13-04-2010, 15:30
I have had 3 dreadnoughts, and Ragnar Blackmane + grey hunters charge a carnifex. It was the last thing on the table and my opponent wanted to play complete annihilation.

Earthbeard
13-04-2010, 19:17
20 Plaguebearers with full kill tally from Epidemius into a poor 10 man guardsman squad.

It certainly was a festering jungle of death that day.

DeviantApostle
14-04-2010, 02:07
The other day, my Daemon Prince charged 2 Stealth Suits and got up Warptime. Chunky salsa.

Worst case of Overkill I've kind-of seen was at a GW game night. I dropped in to grab something and they were playing a multi-player-per-side set-up. About 10 players per side, about a thousand pts per player. There's an 11 year old kid with a tyranid army umming and ahing about what he should do, his side had 1st turn. His section of the board is an open field, he has a hive Tyrant, Hormagaunts, Genestealers, Carnifex, all pretty muich with assault loadouts. The army directly opposite is, of all things, Tau.

Looking, I figure that pretty much his only hope is to get into CC with the Tau ASAP and pillage from there, so when he asks me what he should do that's what I recommend. I have to leave, however, for a dinner date, so he's left to his own devices.

Next time I'm back in this kid's there and he cusses me out for giving him bad advice. He tells me he was pretty much wiped out and blames me for it, so I grab the black-shirt that was there and asked him what went down. Turns out, on the other side's turn one EVERYONE shot at the Tyranids. 10,000 or so pts of shooting vs. 1,000 pts of 'nids, all 'nids wiped off the board.

Tyranids: Making 11 year old kids even scarier.

muskrat
14-04-2010, 02:42
An entire, 3 squad, 3 lascannon each heavy weapon platoon of guardsmen firing at an immobilized rhino. Overkill? I call that poor deployment and a target starved environment on my part, personally.

It was pretty fun strafing a tactical marine sergeant with a T-Bolt in the same game, too. I think the rhino actually belonged to him if I remember right.

Of course, I lost. I mean, really, i fired 9 lascannons at an immboilized, empty transport, and strafed one marine with a fight/bomber. Not my most tactical game ever.